ADVERTISEMENT

Has their been any mention of a Cam Johnson visit?

Bamba just seems to not have much of a motor just like Skal didn't, so in that way they are similar. The announcer was even talking about how Bamba's motor needed to improve. Bam was pretty good the majority of the year until the tournament came around. You do not think with another summer here he could improve?

Our inside game was a huge weakness. I can't count how many guards too it straight at Bam all year. They're not going to be able to do that with Bamba. Skal is an outlier.

My main point is for two reasons.

1. Everything is relative. There's no way I want Duke landing Carter and Bamba. I'd rather Bam leave and Bamba come to UK than Bam return and Bamba go to Duke. Check out their roster Jackson / Allen / Trent / Carter / Bamba. - that could EASILY be a national championship team. Easily

Now picture Gabriel and Bam facing them. No, I do not like. they've got the trees.

And reason 2 - Bam is simply not the prospect Bamba is and the upside just doesn't match. Bam isn't that tall, and his game is totally one dimensional. He's also not that typical cal dominating big. There's just no reason for me to pick him. (Would love both and they would compliment well however)

Keep going in mind, that while this board is sooooo high on Bam, the NBA isn't. He's not even guaranteed the first round. At his age and size, that's ridiculous. They're not in love with him either.

I also don't see the offensive side of Bam IMproving in major ways. Never saw WCS learn how to do anything other than throw the basketball backward when he twisted his body. Only defense changed. Same with Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat
LOL! That's what I thought. Please feel free to come back to this thread and "poke fun" at me...

Until then, I strongly recommend watching the Pittsburgh @ UNC game where the National Champions couldn't stop Johnson and were picked apart on the inside by him. They lost @UNC 78-80.

And for the last time...
Cameron Johnson, RS SO, would be the oldest player on the team, has practiced for 3 years at a major conference school, 6'8", 42% from 3, 82% from FT, 12ppg, 4.5rpg, would've been the highest returning scorer in the entire ACC, plays great interior DEF, led his team in steals, Stallings praised his DEF and put him on the opposing teams best 3, 4, or 5, those 12ppg were achieved on a team with 2 SR bigs that averaged 18ppg+ and were the focal points of the entire offense. VERY FEW plays were ran for Johnson because of it. He isn't in the NBA due to not being quick enough to guard NBA 2s and for no other reason.

Calipari will love his effort, experience, shooting, defense, FT shooting, and basketball IQ (Graduated in 3 years with a 3.9 GPA/NCAA All Acedemic Team Member) and will gladly start him at the 3 from day #1 without finding a reason to bench him as the season goes on.
In 2011-2012, Kentucky had a small forward who had three years of practice under his belt, shot 44% from 3 and 85% from the FT line the previous season, while pulling in 4.6 boards. He could also guard four positions on the floor and was a freak athlete.

He came off the bench in favor of a freshman phenom with one major hole in his game.

Expect it.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

If you are really comparing Darius Miller to Cameron Johnson and, who?, Jarred Vanderbilt? To MKG, I'm not sure your example carries much weight.

Seriously. In your scenario, Cameron Johnson is Darius Miller and Jarred Vanderbilt is MKG? PLEASE correct me if I have it wrong.

If I'm correct, Johnson vs. Vanderbilt and Miller vs. MKG is not a great example to attempt to prove your point here.

Johnson is so much better than you are imagining, man. I'm sorry, but that just happens to be the case here. You'll be PLEASANTLY surprised!

I guess we will have to wait and see.

If you are really comparing Darius Miller to Cameron Johnson and, who?, Jarred Vanderbilt? To MKG, I'm not sure your example carries much weight.

Seriously. In your scenario, Cameron Johnson is Darius Miller and Jarred Vanderbilt is MKG? PLEASE correct me if I have it wrong.

If I'm correct, Johnson vs. Vanderbilt and Miller vs. MKG is not a great example to attempt to prove your point here.

Johnson is so much better than you are imagining, man. I'm sorry, but that just happens to be the case here. You'll be PLEASANTLY surprised!
Wait wait wait

I know that MKG is likely better than Jarred Vanderbilt. But are you saying that Cameron Johnson is a better player than Darius Miller? If so, that's nuts.

JV is a bad ass player. Comparing him to MKG is fair but Johnson aint Miller . miller is a better player . Johnson is a better shooter but Miller was a much better overall player. If Johnson comes here he will back up JV ( who is twice the player that Johnson is and to argue that you would need to fueled by crack as there is no arguement there) and play a little guard as well. Johnson would be nice to get but he ain't make or break . We get Bamba or Bam back we are the best team in the country by Mid season. Any commit from Smith or Johnson is icing on a delicious cake.

Reactions: Cychologist
Wait wait wait

I know that MKG is likely better than Jarred Vanderbilt. But are you saying that Cameron Johnson is a better player than Darius Miller? If so, that's nuts.

Johnson has been pretty similar to this point of his career.

Knox is going to be a stud some day. I think for this UK team though I like the idea of adding this guy as more of a proven guy with experience than a freshmen whose best days are still 3-4 years from now. Knox is a great athlete but has only been playing the game in dedicated fashion for 3 years now.

Revisionist history may convince you Darius Miller was better than Cameron Johnson, but that's simply not true. He never shot the 3 as well consistantly or contended for a pre-season all conference team.

To each his own. I'll let Cam do the talking. Way better than Darius as MKG is way better than Vanderbilt.

In my completely worthless opinion as always

Our inside game was a huge weakness. I can't count how many guards too it straight at Bam all year. They're not going to be able to do that with Bamba. Skal is an outlier.

My main point is for two reasons.

1. Everything is relative. There's no way I want Duke landing Carter and Bamba. I'd rather Bam leave and Bamba come to UK than Bam return and Bamba go to Duke. Check out their roster Jackson / Allen / Trent / Carter / Bamba. - that could EASILY be a national championship team. Easily

Now picture Gabriel and Bam facing them. No, I do not like. they've got the trees.

And reason 2 - Bam is simply not the prospect Bamba is and the upside just doesn't match. Bam isn't that tall, and his game is totally one dimensional. He's also not that typical cal dominating big. There's just no reason for me to pick him. (Would love both and they would compliment well however)

Keep going in mind, that while this board is sooooo high on Bam, the NBA isn't. He's not even guaranteed the first round. At his age and size, that's ridiculous. They're not in love with him either.

I also don't see the offensive side of Bam IMproving in major ways. Never saw WCS learn how to do anything other than throw the basketball backward when he twisted his body. Only defense changed. Same with Johnson.
I see your points, and they are good ones. I would just tell you that I feel that this upcoming team needs every bit of experience that it can possibly muster. I would love to land Bamba, as I do love his shot blocking ability. However, maybe we will get lucky as hell and get them both! That would give us the best front court we have ever had under Cal, hands down.

Revisionist history may convince you Darius Miller was better than Cameron Johnson, but that's simply not true. He never shot the 3 as well consistantly or contended for a pre-season all conference team.

To each his own. I'll let Cam do the talking. Way better than Darius as MKG is way better than Vanderbilt.

In my completely worthless opinion as always
Have you ever seen Johnson play? Good lord man, calm down with the hype. Darius Miller was a key component in our 2012 Title. Here's a little reminder to bring you back to Earth. I'm more than confident Johnson couldn't do this:

Have you ever seen Johnson play? Good lord man, calm down with the hype. Darius Miller was a key component in our 2012 Title. Here's a little reminder to bring you back to Earth. I'm more than confident Johnson couldn't do this:

What does Miller have to do with anything? We are talking about a guy who just averaged 12 a game in the acc, a 42 percent 3 point shooter, and a great defender. Are you high? Or just not basketball smart? Miller was great though, love that guy.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
What does Miller have to do with anything? We are talking about a guy who just averaged 12 a game in the acc, a 42 percent 3 point shooter, and a great defender. Are you high? Or just not basketball smart? Miller was great though, love that guy.
Dude said Cam Johnson was better than Darius Miller or are you too frickin stupid to read, hick? Yeah, I called you a hick cause you act like one. You make the good people of Harlan look bad. Go fornicate yourself dumb f*ck.

Dude said Can Johnson was better than Darius Miller or are you too frickin stupid to read, hick? Yeah, I called you a hick cause you act like one. You make the good people of Harlan look bad. Go fornicate yourself dumb f*ck.
Keep smokin bozo, I hope your I.Q level allows you to function in everyday life because if it does, it aint cutting it by much. Hick,psss,,,,I would like to see you come to Harlan and insult these people, you would leave with your tail between your legs with a black eye to boot.

Keep smokin bozo, I hope your I.Q level allows you to function in everyday life because if it does, it aint cutting it by much. Hick,psss,,,,I would like to see you come to Harlan and insult these people, you would leave with your tail between your legs with a black eye to boot.
I didn't call anybody from Harlan a hick. I called YOU a hick. You've been on this board less than a month and managed to prove how big an idiot you are. Carry your dumb arse back under the rock you climbed out of. Hick.

Reactions: brianpoe
I didn't call anybody from Harlan a hick. I called YOU a hick. You've been on this board less than a month and managed to prove how big an idiot you are. Carry your dumb arse back under the rock you climbed out of. Hick.
Be smarter...Please never reproduce.

Darius was a stud his senior year. He rarely made a mistake. Hit a bunch of big shots. Was probably the most versatile defender on the team(perry jones was killing Davis in the 2nd half and we switched Miller on him to put a stop to it).

Cam Johnson barely plays on that team.

Oh, I think he's definitely interested or he wouldn't have extented the offer this late in the year. I just think Knox is the one holding everything up. Hope he doesn't twittle his thumbs for another month and then choose to go elsewhere, causing us to lose out on Johnson.
Just like bolden cost us a shot at getting another solid recruit.

It doesn't really matter who starts. Johnson is going to play and play a lot because he can shoot and he has experience.

We need at least two good shooters on the floor to keep the defense honest. Green should shoot it well (38% from 3 in HS, I think). Johnson is the other shooter (42% last year).

We need Johnson to replace Willis in that shooters role. Really we need another guy to develop into another shooter to play with them. Need another wing off the ball that Green can kick to for shots. If Gabriel (31% last year) can improve, he could be a stretch 4 for us. Washington might be able to fill that role, he seems to have a decent stroke. Diallo is working on his shot. Hopefully, he improves. Vanderbilt is working on his shot as well.

Still, Johnson gives us a deadly shooter to play at the 3 (maybe some at the 2). That will be invaluable on a team with some questionable shooters.

Rutgers,Michigan,Florida and South Carolina.Crap I was hoping Cal would visit.Sucks.

I agree with you. I want Johnson more than anyone at this point, other than my desire for Bam to return. To be honest, Bamba does not impress me that much, reminds me a little of Skal. Johnson needs to be a high priority, if somehow we could get him and bam would return I would be very pumped for next year.

Reminds you of Skal? They are both tall and skinny? A stretch 4 vs a rim protector?

Motor? How about watching more than just stupid all star games that usually dont show well for bigs. That said, Mo Bama's team ran a lot.

LOL! That's what I thought. Please feel free to come back to this thread and "poke fun" at me...

Until then, I strongly recommend watching the Pittsburgh @ UNC game where the National Champions couldn't stop Johnson and were picked apart on the inside by him. They lost @UNC 78-80.

Calipari will love his effort, experience, shooting, defense, FT shooting, and basketball IQ (Graduated in 3 years with a 3.9 GPA/NCAA All Acedemic Team Member) and will gladly start him at the 3 from day #1 without finding a reason to bench him as the season goes on.

Cam had a great game vs UNC that night.

Tennessee lost in Chapel Hill by 2 points as well, Hubbs scored 21...

Against Duke Cam played 35 minutes and scored 3 points.

Against Louisville he played 60+ minutes in two games and scored 2 and 3 those games.

If Cam was 1/2 as great as you are touting him he would be in the draft at 6'8 playing SG.

I agree I'd like to have him because he can definitely shoot, but let's take the blue glasses off and not set the expectations so high...

Against Louisville he played 60+ minutes in two games and scored 2 and 3 those games.

If Cam was 1/2 as great as you are touting him he would be in the draft at 6'8 playing SG.

I agree I'd like to have him because he can definitely shoot, but let's take the blue glasses off and not set the expectations so high...
Overhyping players is what we do.Some are comparing Bamba to Anthony Davis,Vanderbilt is MKG,Green is Ulis,Diallo is better than Monk.

Sometimes it's about fit.

We are going to need an experienced 3-point shooter. We don't really have one. Gabriel is the closest thing we have and he hasn't been very reliable (31%).

We are going to need a guy with high D1 experience. Once again, Gabriel is the only guy on the team (most likely) who has started a college game.

He might not start and won't be the first option, but he is going to get plenty of minutes and plenty of looks, because he is the only experienced shooter on the squad.

Teams will likely zone us and pack it in against us.

Johnson will get tons of opportunities due to this.

He isn't going to be the most talented player, but he will play a lot because of the role he will play.

Ok, understood. Your original comment did not make for any kind of wiggle room, but I am fine with that.

How about 10 games?

I'll make the same wager with the details including Johnson starts 10 times or more next season, if he comes to Kentucky, unless he gets a season ending injury in the first 20 games.

Interested?
I'll wager you the best 2 SEC tickets you can get vs mine that if both Knox and CJ come here, then Knox starts over CJ barring injury. Bet?

I would happily take that bet 10/10 times. 100% serious. You can pick the home game. Keep it to under $150 each ticket.

By the way, on here, it is certainly not a bet. It is just 2 long time friends making a friendly wager in jest.

Do you get what I am saying? :)

JohnyGentle,

Can you please elaborate on your comment about Cam Johnson not being anything more than a Kyle Korver for Kentucky?

Cam and Kyle share a lot of similarities, but most everyone would take Cam at this same point in their careers due to his ability to play better DEF than Korver as a JR.

Do you realize Kyle Korver was a consensus all american as a SR at Creighton?

I just don't understand how calling Cam just another Kyle Korver is such a bad thing?

I'd take a JR version of Korver on next years Kentucky team IN A HEARTBEAT. Certainly over Knox or Smith, and here we have a similar shooting player with similar size that graduated in 3 years with a 3.9 GPA and was praised by Stallings on his interior DEF (Led the team in steals as a 6'8" "3").

Bluesnky,

I claim to have no sources. I'm judging our interest in Knox by our recent interest in Mark Smith and almost every Kentucky based website turning their attention to Cameron Johnson from Kevin Knox.

I don't think Calipari would be "offering Smith" or that every Kentucky insider would suddenly be going ga ga for Johnson if the news from the Knox camp was positive.

I am seriously wondering if Calipari decided to put his eggs in Johnson's basket instead of battling for Knox who may not be showing Calipari much love at this point after the UNC title.

I'd rather have Johnson anyway. I know. I'm crazy and totally wrong. I should never evaluate a prospect again, etc. :)

All in my completely worthless opinion as always

Bluesnky,

I claim to have no sources. I'm judging our interest in Knox by our recent interest in Mark Smith and almost every Kentucky based website turning their attention to Cameron Johnson from Kevin Knox.

I don't think Calipari would be "offering Smith" or that every Kentucky insider would suddenly be going ga ga for Johnson if the news from the Knox camp was positive.

I am seriously wondering if Calipari decided to put his eggs in Johnson's basket instead of battling for Knox who may not be showing Calipari much love at this point after the UNC title.

I'd rather have Johnson anyway. I know. I'm crazy and totally wrong. I should never evaluate a prospect again, etc. :)

All in my completely worthless opinion as always
I was mostly interested in the Pitt people you were talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT