ADVERTISEMENT

Has their been any mention of a Cam Johnson visit?

track42

Senior
Feb 18, 2017
I noticed Illinois was having an in home visit with him.I can't understand him considering them since they have similar problems as Pitt.Just seems odd Uk has visited Baker and Smith both and Smith is visiting next week but nothing has been set up with Johnson.Do you think Johnson is not as high priority to Cal as the other 2 are?I was hoping we get a grad transfer to add some experience next season but I also like the other 2.

Reactions: catsall
Maybe Calipari isn't all that interested? Given the Pittsburgh connection, I would think it's not like he's just missing the boat entirely.

Johnson is already 21, whereas the other guys are 18. Maybe Cal prefers the potential? The only other 2 players Cal signed at this age were Julius Mays and Mychal Mulder, not a ton of history to say it's likely.

Someone said he would be visiting next week. I can't remember what media person it was.

I haven't heard anything about a visit.Knox seems out so I'm surprised we aren't going harder after this guy.We are sure to see tons of zone next season so I just hope Green/Baker are enough or it might be a long season.

I noticed Illinois was having an in home visit with him.I can't understand him considering them since they have similar problems as Pitt.Just seems odd Uk has visited Baker and Smith both and Smith is visiting next week but nothing has been set up with Johnson.Do you think Johnson is not as high priority to Cal as the other 2 are?I was hoping we get a grad transfer to add some experience next season but I also like the other 2.

Illinois doesn't have the same problem as Pitt does, that's for sure. There is only 1 Stallings and that's a unique problem solely for Pitt. Illinois has what I think is a star coach coming up.

I think Cal wants Knox and until he feels that we've lost him, I don't see us pushing too hard for Johnson, unfortunately. I want Johnson more than Knox myself. I think we need what a player like Johnson brings to the team. I think Kevin will be a great college player but what he brings to the table is not something we are in dire need for, IMO. We do need his shooting ability (which I think will improve next year as shot selection gets better) but Johnson can do that also. The thing we don't get with Knox is experience and intangibles of leadership. We get that with Johnson and I think it is sorely needed for our team next season. That's why I want Johnson over Knox. To say I want Bamba is the understatement of the year.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Kyle Tucker said he had a source indicating there was a good chance Johnson winds up here. UK staff might want to be quiet about him. I know one thing, he's got multiple offers from a lot of good schools.

Question...is a grad transfer more likely to commit before or after you sign a few 4-star guards? I'd think as a grad transfer, immediate PT is much more crucial than as an incoming, 4-star Freshman.

Just Imagine a lineup where we can play

Green
Baker
Johnson
Gabriel

and switch in a big man or Diallo depending on who we need to complement them on the court as the 5th guy.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Question...is a grad transfer more likely to commit before or after you sign a few 4-star guards? I'd think as a grad transfer, immediate PT is much more crucial than as an incoming, 4-star Freshman.

Playing time as well as expectations can influence grad transfers more than most. They want to play, but they also want to go deep in the ncaa's if possible. With the Pros being a long shot, winning at the end becomes a huge priority.

We've got plenty of room for Cam to play big minutes and we NEED him. He could be a huge piece in a final four run. He's being overlooked.

Maybe Calipari isn't all that interested? Given the Pittsburgh connection, I would think it's not like he's just missing the boat entirely.

Johnson is already 21, whereas the other guys are 18. Maybe Cal prefers the potential? The only other 2 players Cal signed at this age were Julius Mays and Mychal Mulder, not a ton of history to say it's likely.

Oh, I think he's definitely interested or he wouldn't have extented the offer this late in the year. I just think Knox is the one holding everything up. Hope he doesn't twittle his thumbs for another month and then choose to go elsewhere, causing us to lose out on Johnson.

Reactions: spotter34
We have room for Cam, but say Smith also commits to UK. Cam SHOULD still have a chance at UK, but he could go to Florida and probably get a more immediate role and possibly not have much less of a chance to win postseason games.

Reactions: spotter34
Cam Johnson should be a top priority. Upperclassman, can shoot the lights out, 6'8, and has loads of experience in the ACC.

If he's not a priority, I just SMDH.
He has the offer and Cal was in NY today. Wouldn't shock me if he and Barbee stopped by to see Johnson In Pitt on the way back.

If Cam can shoot 3's at 42% and play decent defense, there will be nothing stopping him from playing serious minutes and possibly starting next season. The wing position and designated shooter spots are wide open next year. Its kind of like the 4 spot and backup wing spot the last year, where Willis/Hawkins/Mulder/Gabriel all were fighting for serious minutes and any one of them could have taken the spot if they had earned it with good play.

He has the offer and Cal was in NY today. Wouldn't shock me if he and Barbee stopped by to see Johnson In Pitt on the way back.

Well I did see a list he was considering
Uk fl Arizona were three
No Michigan

I see similarities between Rodney Hood going to Duke and Cam Johnson going to UK

Knox is no longer an option and the staff knows it. Johnson is the better player, anyway. 3 years at a big conference team, 6'8" SF, 12ppg, 42% 3pt, 82% FT, Stallings putting him on the other teams best 3,.4, or 5 every night due to his DEF. He even led the team in steals while guarding almost exclusively bigs. From a talent perspective, Johnson is where you'd hope a SO Knox would be with hard work.

Cam Johnson is almost as big of a want as Bamba at this point if I were to take a guess at their "big board" at this moment. I expect him to commit next week during the visit. Cal is pitching him on turning him into a NBA prospect instead of a 6'8" 3 that isn't quite quick enough to guard the average NBA 2 making him seen as a tweener. Cal doesn't offer PT, but I'm sure he will make Johnson aware of our total lack of experience and shooting.

Johnson realizes he will start anywhere he goes while scorching nets from 3 42% of the time despite being double teamed upon touching the ball, just like last year. Being 6'8" helps getting a shot off!

Mark Smith is the real question mark. If Bam leaves, Bamba and Johnson commit (Likely the current outcome), and Smith still decides to take our last scholarship, he might instantly become my favorite Kentucky player in a long time. Talk about 100% fearless...

To take the 13th scholarship knowing Green, Shai, Diallo, Baker, Johnson, and Vanderbilt are already committed at the 3 positions you could possibly see time and still commit, you have some huge ass balls and aren't scared of anyone! I think he would beat out Baker for PT & maybe Shai, but the other 4 players would take a hell of an underrated FR to pass them. Maybe Smith is that talented... He sure did move up in the rankings on Rivals like a rocket.

Green
Diallo
Vanderbilt
WG
Bam
Richards
Washington
Baker
Shai
SKJ
Tai

That's our roster as of today.

Losing Bam and adding Bamba and Johnson is expected, leaving the last spot open. Instead of leaving a spot empty like Cal always does, Mark Smith taking it would be so bad ass...

In my completely worthless opinion as always

Last edited:
He may be fine with coming off the bench, but doubt he isn't in the starting lineup from day 1. 3 years experience in a major conference. 6'8" SF, 42% from 3, 82% from FT, plays great interior DEF, 12ppg, 4.5rpg, led team in steals...

He is a tweener in the NBA's eyes, but an all-SEC level player in college. Cal will sell him on teaching him the quickness he needs to guard a NBA 2 & we will be lucky to have him more than 1 year.

So many people are selling Johnson short. This isn't another Darnell Dodson, Julius Mays, Eloy Vargas, or Mulder. He'd have been the leading returning scorer in the ACC had he returned. He can go start for any team he wants. I hope like hell he chooses Kentucky.

Talent wise, Johnson has what you would want as a SO/JR if they really worked hard from Knox, Smith, Baker, WG, etc. Go back and watch the Pittsburgh @ UNC game from last season if you think I'm full of it.

In my completely worthless opinion as always

Last edited:
You really think Knox would be a better player for Kentucky than Cameron Johnson this year?

Man, I just can't see it. Had he returned to Pitt he would've been a preseason all-ACC player.

You're entitled to your opinion. I could be totally wrong. I just don't see how a FR bests what Johnson would contribute in Knox one year at Kentucky.

Maybe you're expecting Knox to pick up the collegiate game immediately, improve at a rapid rate, and be a top 3 NBA pick. It is possible.

For me, I would take Johnson over Knox on this Kentucky team with the belief he will contribute a lot more than a FR like Knox.

All in my completely worthless opinion as always.

You really think Knox would be a better player for Kentucky than Cameron Johnson this year?

Man, I just can't see it. Had he returned to Pitt he would've been a preseason all-ACC player.

You're entitled to your opinion. I could be totally wrong. I just don't see how a FR bests what Johnson would contribute in Knox one year at Kentucky.

Maybe you're expecting Knox to pick up the collegiate game immediately, improve at a rapid rate, and be a top 3 NBA pick. It is possible.

For me, I would take Johnson over Knox on this Kentucky team with the belief he will contribute a lot more than a FR like Knox.

Knox is not as important to UK than Johnson. it's like we never learn.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
For an example on why I think Johnson is a much better player for this team than Knox, go back and watch the Pittsburgh @ UNC game from this last year.

Johnson had a better game against the NCAA Champs than I think Knox will be capable of in his FR year. Plus another year of experience will only help Johnson improve his game even more than he was last year.

And to your Kyle Korver comment, Korver has been in the league for 18 years averaging 10ppg and shooting 43% from 3. Knox would be really freaking lucky to even match a career like Korver has had in the NBA.

Reactions: BlueRattie
Just Imagine a lineup where we can play

Green
Baker
Johnson
Gabriel

and switch in a big man or Diallo depending on who we need to complement them on the court as the 5th guy.
Shooting is great and all but what do plan on doing with possibly two of your best and most versatile players (Vanderbilt and Washington). Those guys have to be on the floor for rebounding, defense, and scoring. Even if we land Cam Johnson that lineup will never be on the floor together.

Reactions: Bluesnky
If I were to take a guess assuming Cal and Bamba come and Bam leaves, like I expect, how about Green, Diallo, Johnson, WG, Bamba as our opening starting lineup.

I could see WG being replaced by Vanderbilt or Washington sometime during the season.

That 4 spot is hardest to pick, IMO. I think that Green, Diallo, Johnson, and Bamba would be close to locks at starting. MAYBE if Vanderbilt is playing out of this world and Johnson is having problems shooting, I could see him starting at the 3 over Cam, but I really doubt that happens.

Green, Diallo, Johnson, and Bamba are the best players at their positions and will be hard to overtake over the season. Whoever starts at the 4 just might change nightly, based on the matchups the other team presents.

Vanderbilt vs a smaller team, Washington or Richards for a team that has a couple bangers.

Heck, Johnson plays great interior DEF. We could very well see him starting at the 4 a few nights when a 3 guard lineup makes the most sense.

So many options. Such a fun team.

God BLESS Calipari! Go convince Cam and Bamba to commit.

If Mark Smith still wants to come aboard after that, let's do it. Can never have enough shooters and will hooefully guarantee that we won't have to deal with over 70% of our team leaving in the off-season.

If Mark Smith is serious about coming, could you imagine having players like Shai, Baker, maybe 1 of Johnson, Richards, or Green, SKJ, Tai, maybe 1 of Washington or Vanderbilt, and Smith RETURNING? GOID LORD!

Even one of the worst cases there, meaning Shai, Smith, Baker, Johnson, SKJ, and Tai all coming back? That'd give us some NICE experienced depth to go along with 4 of the usual Calipari studs. Plus, I don't think we will even lose that many. Green could be a 2 year player. Washington and Richards are raw. Johnson is a tweener...

Diallo, Bamba, WG, and Vanderbilt seem like the only likely players to leave at this moment, IMO.

To be clear, however, I see very little chance that Mark Smith commits to us. Would be great to have him, though. Would make for a better backup at the 2 than Baker & the better choice if a 3 guard lineup is needed at some time, IMO.

All in my completely worthless opinion as always

I have to agree, IMHO Johnson is a better option simply because of all the experience he brings. We will need that with this very, very young team, and the fact he's also a great shooter AND defender makes it a no brainer, at least to me.

Now, if we somehow did get Knox I wouldn't be sad, lol, but Johnson brings more to the team, right now, than does Knox.

I agree with you. I want Johnson more than anyone at this point, other than my desire for Bam to return. To be honest, Bamba does not impress me that much, reminds me a little of Skal. Johnson needs to be a high priority, if somehow we could get him and bam would return I would be very pumped for next year.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Bluesnky,

PLEASE tell me that means you will make a friendly wager?

If Cam does start for Kentucky at least once this season, if he commits here, you'll buy me 2 tickets to the SEC tournament. The cheapest seats you can find will suffice. If he doesn't ever start a game, I will gladly treat you and 1 more person to 2 tickets to the SEC tournament in the same manner.

If you're so confident, there's absolutely no reason to refuse, right? I've been here since 03. I'm serious and would never go back on a wager.

Please let me know!

Bluesnky,

PLEASE tell me that means you will make a friendly wager?

If Cam does start for Kentucky at least once this season, if he commits here, you'll buy me 2 tickets to the SEC tournament. The cheapest seats you can find will suffice. If he doesn't ever start a game, I will gladly treat you and 1 more person to 2 tickets to the SEC tournament in the same manner.

If you're so confident, there's absolutely no reason to refuse, right? I've been here since 03. I'm serious and would never go back on a wager.

Please let me know!
One game? Dwight Perry started one game.

He will not be a regular starter, barring injury- perhaps multiple injuries.

Ok, understood. Your original comment did not make for any kind of wiggle room, but I am fine with that.

How about 10 games?

I'll make the same wager with the details including Johnson starts 10 times or more next season, if he comes to Kentucky, unless he gets a season ending injury in the first 20 games.

Interested?

Reactions: harlancatfan
Ok, understood. Your original comment did not make for any kind of wiggle room, but I am fine with that.

How about 10 games?

I'll make the same wager with the details including Johnson starts 10 times or more next season, if he comes to Kentucky, unless he gets a season ending injury in the first 20 games.

Interested?
I am with you bro.

How about 10 games?

Interested?
No, but if our team is healthy I will be sure to poke fun at this silliness when Johnson is coming off the bench playing about 15-20 minutes per game.

I like Johnson, but he is being overhyped because he was the one skill that makes posters on this board touch themselves. He can make a nice contribution, but he isn't starting over a healthy Vanderbilt, Diallo, or Washington.

But Vanderbilt may not be healthy. So we may need him.

Reactions: brianpoe
I agree with you. I want Johnson more than anyone at this point, other than my desire for Bam to return. To be honest, Bamba does not impress me that much, reminds me a little of Skal. Johnson needs to be a high priority, if somehow we could get him and bam would return I would be very pumped for next year.

Bam wasn't one of our better bigs at UK. Bamba is another level. He's nothing like Skal.

Bam wasn't one of our better bigs at UK. Bamba is another level. He's nothing like Skal.
Bamba just seems to not have much of a motor just like Skal didn't, so in that way they are similar. The announcer was even talking about how Bamba's motor needed to improve. Bam was pretty good the majority of the year until the tournament came around. You do not think with another summer here he could improve?

Only two things keep Johnson from committing to UK; A) Kevin Knox commitment or B) Mark Smith commitment. Unfortunately, we all knew FL, AZ, MICH, IL, and TX were involved with Johnson, but just yesterday UCLA and Oregon got into the mix too. To say the least, the stakes have risen over the past few days and will probably continue to do so.

Still, out of everyone involved I think we offer the most in the areas of PT, national exposure and opportunity to make the Final Four. That is typically what Grad Transfers look for and it appears Mark Smith is all in on Mich St (per crystal ball), so I think we're in good shape. Pittsburgh's spring semester ends on 04/28 and he's stated that he's going to finish his current classes at Pitt before leaving. Plus, Kevin Knox is set to make his announcement on either 04/28 or 05/01 and I believe Johnson is waiting to ensure he doesn't have to compete with Knox for minutes. Therefore, I'd guess that he visits UK sometime after 04/28 and that a commitment follows shortly thereafter.

Go Big Blue!!!

LOL! That's what I thought. Please feel free to come back to this thread and "poke fun" at me...

Until then, I strongly recommend watching the Pittsburgh @ UNC game where the National Champions couldn't stop Johnson and were picked apart on the inside by him. They lost @UNC 78-80.

And for the last time...
Cameron Johnson, RS SO, would be the oldest player on the team, has practiced for 3 years at a major conference school, 6'8", 42% from 3, 82% from FT, 12ppg, 4.5rpg, plays great interior DEF, led his team in steals, Stallings praised his DEF and put him on the opposing teams best 3, 4, or 5, those 12ppg were achieved on a team with 2 SR bigs that averaged 18ppg+ and were the focal points of the entire offense. VERY FEW plays were ran for Johnson because of it. He isn't in the NBA due to not being quick enough to guard NBA 2s and for no other reason.

Calipari will love his effort, experience, shooting, defense, FT shooting, and basketball IQ (Graduated in 3 years with a 3.9 GPA/NCAA All Acedemic Team Member) and will gladly start him at the 3 from day #1 without finding a reason to bench him as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT