ADVERTISEMENT

Has SNL sold its soul to the SJW culture?

Oh. And here I was thinking we were all talking about the same subject: why the dude got the boot from SNL.

Yeah, to them you are the left.

To me you are the far left. Manipulated to believing a whole slew of things which simply aren't so. The left has politically profiteered off of your ignorance and frankly it's disgusting.

You are on the wrong side of history, well... unless you succeed at bringing western civilization down so you can rewrite it, in that case to the victor goes the spoils and nobody is going to be worse off than your misguided selves.

Now these assholes have killed comedy.

What we hate most about you assholes is when you pretend you care about injustice. If you really cared, the governor of Virginia would be out of a job.

Shut up with your opinions until you start walking the walk. Make your people follow their own rules. Canadian PM would be a good start. Bill Clinton next. Make up lies about Brett Kavanaugh when Hollywood is full of rapists.

In short, you suck.

Right now your suck is limited to popular culture. But your suck is trying to crush the Bill of rights, the constitution, the Supreme Court, free speech. You will have some problems when that happens.

Since when are ChinaTown and Asian Americans “the left”?

Hint: they’re not.
Since when did you not get the point? Every time. Your deflection is weak. Conversations evolve and when you realize the facts have eaten you up go into your deflection by focusing on the short and not the whole problem. PC culture is the problem and SNL along with the rest of you weak minded fools have given in.

I'm not surprised NBC/SNL doesn't want his face broadcast every Saturday.

joy-reid-rs-4.jpg

Dude said something blatantly racist. I'm not surprised NBC/SNL doesn't want his face broadcast every Saturday.

Also, whether you think he needed to apologize....Worst. Apology. Ever.
Your grandma and grandpa for sure said some blatantly racist shit, you want to cut off their SS income and never let your kids see them again, right?

This Gillis guy didn't say some racist shit years ago, this podcast was from earlier this year...

I would say it's bad for anybody to be "racist". And when anyone engages in racist behavior that becomes public (by photo, video, etc.) it is reasonable that it might affect their employment. This should not be controversial. What is potentially controversial about the Shane Gillis situation is that he was engaging in "racist" behavior in the name of comedy.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
I would say it's bad for anybody to be "racist". And when anyone engages in racist behavior that becomes public (by photo, video, etc.) it is reasonable that it might affect their employment. This should not be controversial. What is potentially controversial about the Shane Gillis situation is that he was engaging in "racist" behavior in the name of comedy.

The problem with this narrative is that the definitions of racism have expanded into those mostly vague places where their application have become arbitrarily used. The same applies to accusations of misogyny, hate speech, etc. If someone is perceived as "privileged", they can't "punch down" by using any form of talk that offends, but if someone is perceived as marginalized, they get to "punch up" using the same forms of hate mongering that are decried in the first group. So long as you use racist or hateful commentary from these groups over here, you're fine, but if you use it from these other groups, you're sanctioned, maligned, and your career is over.

But if hate is hate, regardless, and if racism is racism, regardless, why make accommodations for it in certain categories and deny it in others?

For example, was it racist for presidential candidate Andrew Yang to say that simply because he's Asian, the fact privileges him to access to people in the medical community and greater medical knowledge? If not, why was it okay for him to say that? What if David Duke had made a similar comment in the 1970s about being white and how that fact privileges him to a better understanding of medicine?

That's the problem. There's no consistency in our cultural application of what constitutes appropriateness. The goal post moves based on whatever postmodern Foucaultian slop the masses are slurping up at the moment; the criteria shifts based on whatever political tribe you belong to. SNL is showing that same inconsistency. Can you acknowledge the hypocrisy of SNL on this issue?

Last edited:
Society already deems the type of language he used as inappropriate, in any context comedic or otherwise. If you surround yourself with people who don't, then you need to find better company.

Society is moving toward the idea that you have the right to not be offended, that hurtful speech should be forbidden and proper speech enforced. An idea so absurd and wrought with error that it strains credulity anyone could actually be so ignorant to believe it's a good idea.

Let's remove race from the equation as that is more emotional for people and think of fat shaming. Is it nice to make fun of fat people? No and I wouldn't do it, but then you create a culture where being fat is celebrated leads to increased death and hospitalization due to preventable disease all because you refuse to talk about it. When you just go around firing people who crossed the line, you obfuscate where the line is, what the line is and why the line is. It's a step backwards, not forwards.

And I'm not saying anyone deserves to be made fun of, or that people shouldn't celebrate or be proud of their culture, but making fun of a culture is not racist just because you may find it demeaning. Any culture can be made fun of, the British could and do go on for days about how we talk and what we do in demeaning fashion wouldn't be racist not matter in how poor of taste.

Now these assholes have killed comedy.

They haven't and they won't. The left has pushed too far. And in comedy, everything must be on the table. You now have THE two biggest comedians, Burr and Chappelle, both BLASTING the SJW/Cancel movement. Then you have dozens of other comics who have had enough. Louis CK, Jeffries, Segura, Hart, Carmichael, etc. You start picking and choosing what you can and cannot make fun of.. and life as a comic just got a whole lot more difficult..

Aside from some women/minority comics, and a few white apologist comedians, no one is on board. Those comedians will have alienated themselves.

As a society, the pendulum has swung too far left. They've pushed and moaned too much. The right and centrists are fighting back.

Are Asians oppressed in this country? That has been the litmus for it being ok to make any form of white stereotype. IIRC, whites make 76% of the average Asian income.

If SNL had standards, Alec Baldwin would not be their recurring DT character.

This is all made up as it goes, someone decides something is an outrage and it spreads.

.. and SNL can either get on board or take the final nail in the coffin. They start taking sides and they can consider themselves finished. Comedians won't stand for this.. at least not the talented ones.

The I am offended cards have been played so much for so long now it is starting to backfire and will (IMO) blowup in the left's face.

The I am offended cards have been played so much for so long now it is starting to backfire and will (IMO) blowup in the left's face.

You don't think Asian people have a right to be offended by Gillis using the term "****ing chinks" and then making fun of Chinese people in general?

And are you saying it’s okay for non public figures to be “racist” but public figures can’t be?

Can you not see the difference between people saying racist things in private that never see the light of day and people saying racist things on a radio broadcast?

Come on.

Ginger, Drunk, Potato farmer, soul-less, Mick..

I know some people hate the irish. And I don't care. I don't care what they say. I don't care if they crack jokes about Irish stereotypes. I agree with most of them. In fact, I resemble most of them. I don't give a shit what other people say.

Let me guess, you have no problem when someone says "Man the Chinese are extremely smart"?

You don't think Asian people have a right to be offended by Gillis using the term "****ing chinks" and then making fun of Chinese people in general?

Sad thing is, he truly doesn't care.

The majority of the people in this thread are perfectly okay with dropping racial slurs in any context. Period.

My daughter is half Asian and a few years ago when she was really young I was with her at a birthday party for one of her school friends. It was at one of those trampoline places and the kids were kindergarten age. One of the kids (a boy) was standing close to my daughter, staring at her, with his fingers close to his eyes pulling them side to side so his eyes were slanted. He and his friends thought it was funny. I went and talked to his parents and of course they were apologetic and made it stop. But that is the kind of thing that minorities have to deal with from time to time. I'm white and male, from Louisville, and I certainly never had to deal with it. And I doubt that any of you on this thread have either. Maybe you should try empathy sometime when you are deciding whether something should be deemed offensive to someone else.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
Sad thing is, he truly doesn't care.

The majority of the people in this thread are perfectly okay with dropping racial slurs in any context. Period.

MIsguided. Maybe true, no way for me to know, but probably misguided.

Right to be offended is not the same as right not to be offended.

Ginger, Drunk, Potato farmer, soul-less, Mick..

I don't know you outside this board, but let's I walk up to you say that stuff to you what's it make me? lacking character for sure.

Racist yeah in right context. Maybe I just want to piss you off, get you to fight. Maybe we are friends and I'm messing with you. Maybe I'm cracking jokes and I simply don't know that's crossing lines.

Should you go to my employer and get me fired? If it's a public figure does do I deserve to have my career taken from me effectively if I get blackballed can't go to work?

I'm white and male, from Louisville, and I certainly never had to deal with it. And I doubt that any of you on this thread have either. Maybe you should try empathy sometime when you are deciding whether something should be deemed offensive to someone else.

That's juvenile behavior and a variety of reasons for that, but you don't konw other people's backgrounds and can't just assume their position is lacking empathy because they don't agree with you.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
My daughter is half Asian and a few years ago when she was really young I was with her at a birthday party for one of her school friends. It was at one of those trampoline places and the kids were kindergarten age. One of the kids (a boy) was standing close to my daughter, staring at her, with his fingers close to his eyes pulling them side to side so his eyes were slanted. He and his friends thought it was funny. I went and talked to his parents and of course they were apologetic and made it stop. But that is the kind of thing that minorities have to deal with from time to time. I'm white and male, from Louisville, and I certainly never had to deal with it. And I doubt that any of you on this thread have either. Maybe you should try empathy sometime when you are deciding whether something should be deemed offensive to someone else.

You know why people leave the Irish alone? Because making fun of us does virtually nothing. If you call a ginger a ginger and he laughs, it goes away. If he flips out.. well then you get that viral video "Gingers DO have souls!".

You shouldn't infringe on someone's freedom or discriminate based on color or religion or sexuality or race.

But if you're going to cause a scene, and get riled up because some 5-year made slanty eyes for a hot second.. buckle up, life isn't going to be easy for you.

Reactions: thabigbluenation
Yeah - calling a redheaded Irish person (more likely a redheaded American person whose ancestors came from Ireland) a "ginger" is the same as "making slanty eyes" at an Asian person.

Was Andrew Yang being racist when he said he was well-connected in the medical field simply because he's Asian?

If not, what's the difference?

Yeah - calling a redheaded Irish person (more likely a redheaded American person whose ancestors came from Ireland) a "ginger" is the same as "making slanty eyes" at an Asian person.

You still haven't acknowledged SNL's hypocrisy.

You and @mustnotsleepnow are actually evading that point. The main point in this thread is that SNL is hypocritical. They've done the "slanty eyes" routine, the poor black uneducated ghetto routine, the Belushi Samurai restaurant routine, the mocking victims of sexual abuse routine, the mocking of Egyptian culture, etc.

Yet, they've never apologized for any of it, and it's exactly the same thing you're saying is racist or inappropriate now. What's the difference?

Never happened.

Same as those SJW Twitter users who tweet their six year old ate breakfast and said they were worried about the evil right's lack of action about climate change.

But hey, I'd you have to make up something to try to prove your point, then that's on you.

Mustsleepnow is def at the top of the Board Snowflake Rankings at the moment.

What a sad, sad person.

You and @mustnotsleepnow are actually evading that point.

Because the line to cross is very fluid. Asians are not oppressed and if they hired an Asian that had tapes out there making very derogatory comments about a segment of white people no one would care. This is mostly virtue signaling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

How is that any different than your daughter being american-chinese? I can tell you this, I'm more Irish than your daughter is chinese.

I know you like to think it's different. but making fun of someones eyes, due to race, is no worse than making fun of someones hair due to race.

I would hope you don't think its ok to make fun of the fair skinned freckly redhead bc of their skin and hair color...

It's certainly not OK to make fun of someone bc of eye shape...disappointing that you think its ok to do so bc of fair skin/red head that they have no control over. Maybe you should try empathy sometime when you are deciding whether something should be deemed offensive to someone else.

I could care less if someone said something derogatory about me.

That's on them, I wouldn't want anything to happen to them though. Just wouldn't associate with them anymore.

Not that hard.

Reactions: SomeDudeCRO
Everyone has the right to be offended, but everything in comedy offends someone most of the time. I don’t care if it upsets a few Chinese people, just as I’m sure they have shows or jokes that make fun of Americans, and guess what I don’t give a shit if they make fun of me. Have a good laugh, enjoy yourselves. Everything is going to be okay.

The inability to laugh at ourselves is a huge problem. Everyone seems to feel they’re special and no one should ever make them uncomfortable. Well I’m willing to bet most growth and learning experiences come with a little discomfort.

All students have to deal with ridicule, mockery, and forms of psychological torment in school (obviously the amount of that ridicule is on a spectrum as no two students are alike). It's shameful, but it happens to everyone and your daughter's experience is not unique (I'm sorry that it happened to her, by the way), nor is her incident the feature of a larger mass racist base in our country (I actually find that secondary school students are very racially conscientious and that the racial majority is more than accommodating and empathetic to the racial minorities in my teaching experiences). Is that why you shared this anecdote? To imply that racism is prevalent and everywhere festering in our culture? If students (especially in primary school) don't mock a kid because of their eye shape, they'll mock them because of their shoes, or their last name, or the type of lunch box they brought to school. Your outlook on this actually is unusual to me because you seem to treat school-based ridicule as if it's the exception and not the rule.

I teach secondary education and as you likely know, the frontal lobe (which makes for wise decision making) doesn't even develop for most people until they're in their early to mid-twenties. That's why young people say and do stupid things. Ignorance should be expected from children. In fact, when one of my friends taught in China, he was routinely grabbed in public and had his long red hair felt by strangers (including children) because they never saw that type of hair before. The children even laughed and pointed at him all the time (he thought it was funny because he also understands how children operate). Were they being evil and cruel? Maybe. Maybe they were also curious and responded the only way children usually do when they see something like that - with laughter, surprise, and awkward expressions of tactile experience by grabbing his hair. Or maybe it was a combination of both. It's hard to tell, because they were a bunch of primary school students and they probably didn't even know why they did it. The parents of the kid in your story actually did the only reasonable thing by correcting the child. That's how children learn. They experiment, sometimes they go too far, and the parent reins them back in. The experimentation period shouldn't be treated as an indictment against the child's character (do they even have character when they're five years old?). It should be treated as an act of ignorance in need of modification and sometimes rebuke. That boy's parents rebuked him. They did the right thing.

Do you think your daughter's experience with a group of five years olds is somehow indicative of a racist reality in our country?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT