ADVERTISEMENT

Has SNL sold its soul to the SJW culture?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I don't watch SNL routinely anymore (I stopped in the late 90s) outside the momentary blip here or there, so those of you who keep up would know more than me.

Is this standard behavior at SNL? They caved to what appears to be some pretty pedestrian calls of rebuke for the new hire, and canned new hire Shane Gillis before he ever began. Burr and others are already jumping into the fray defending Gillis.

Comedians such as Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, and Rob Schneider are sticking up for fired “Saturday Night Live” cast member Shane Gillis after controversial jokes from the past got the young comedian booted from the NBC sketch-comedy series. “SNL” issued a statement September 16 that it was parting ways with Gillis just days after announcing him as one of three new cast members for Season 45. Following Gillis’ hiring, racist and homophobic jokes he made in the past began circulating on social media and generating outrage.

Burr and Jefferies both appeared on the September 16 episode of David Spade’s Comedy Central talk show “Lights Out” (via The Wrap) and criticized “SNL” for making the decision to fire Gillis because of past jokes. “This is just cancel culture,” Jefferies said. “The guy shouldn’t have been fired. It was just a couple things back in his history. We’re gonna go through everyone’s history?”

Burr was even more incendiary, saying, “Do they go back and also try to look at things the person might’ve done, or are they just looking for the bad stuff? I mean you could honestly do that to anybody. We’re not running for office, when is this gonna f@#$%^ end?”

“You millennials, you’re a bunch of rats, all of you,” Burr added. “None of them care. All they want to do is get people in trouble.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/bill-burr-jim-jefferies-defend-shane-gillis-snl-firing-1202174391/

No. However, Black Sabbath did, in fact, once sell their souls for rock and roll. Dunno if they got them back or not.

fa28uwqq.j31

Dude said something blatantly racist. I'm not surprised NBC/SNL doesn't want his face broadcast every Saturday.

Also, whether you think he needed to apologize....Worst. Apology. Ever.

So, you don't care about racist people? Do you think it's a good idea for businesses to have them as one of the faces of their company?

I'm just glad that SNL's producer, Lorne Michaels, is above all that and that he's never had any skits on SNL that could be considered racist or insensitive to victims of sexual abuse. He wouldn't want to have to fire himself for consistently applying his own standards, right?

29906170001_5857438488001_5857439009001-vs.jpg

6-6-KING-TUT-Facebook.jpg

mr_robinson_signs1.png

ad47e579ef361baae763479644008495.jpg

I'm just glad that SNL's producer, Lorne Michaels, is above all that and that he's never had any skits on SNL that could be considered racist or insensitive to victims of sexual abuse. He wouldn't want to have to fire himself for consistently applying his own standards, right?

mr_robinson_signs1.png

Just because racism or stereotypes were more acceptable 30-40 years ago does not mean that we should keep that tradition alive today.

Agree?

Also, not that I condone it, but those were part of a comedy sketch. This dumbass was just dropping racial slurs during a radio interview.

Reactions: BristolCat
The inmates run the asylum.

This thread will probably get deleted like others, but cancel culture and bunch of rats millennials is what is actually wrong with all this manufactured racism.

The way he describes ChinaTown is exactly what it's like, and I love it and go there all the time when i'm in nyc, but he obviously shouldn't use racist derogatory names and he shouldn't have apologized because if you don't word your apology precisely like your audience wants, which is impossible in the end, they are going to pitch fork mob you.

What he meant in his apology was he didn't want to apologize to people who simply enjoy being offended because they have nothing better to do, just like people who want to see other people suffer or not succeed just to make themselves feel better or they call everyone racist because they self loathe their own racist feelings that they wish they didn't have. Not everyone is a racist or has sociological implied racist beliefs or hidden biases or whatever else nonsensical post modern BS being pushed by sheltered academics without the courage to challenge their own prejudices.

Then there is a political movement which wants to associate all viewpionts to the right of radical left as racist and evil, which clearly isn't true... they hate fat, smug snarky privileged white dudes like this with every fiber of their being and blame all the world's problems on them.

What should've happened, if anyone had any damn sense and actually cared about progressive results is they should've kept him on board, and ran a few skits at his expense making fun of him of what is and isn't actually appropriate when comedy of cultures is concerned.

Instead this illiberal liberalism just drives more nails into the coffin of the failing American experiment, making things more and more unstable, and increasing whatever actual hatred does still exist. There are real world consequences for this lunacy.

Just because racism or stereotypes were more acceptable 30-40 years ago does not mean that we should keep that tradition alive today.

Agree?

Also, not that I condone it, but those were part of a comedy sketch. This dumbass was just dropping racial slurs during a radio interview.

His were during a podcast and a comedian is always being a comedian.

What you sensitive snowflakes, yes that is what you are, want is not to feel bad about being made fun of... there is nothing wrong with being made fun and noone is immune to it, you don't have to go back 40 years you can just go back 10 years to Dave Chappelle's comedy skits, you can't pull that stuff today, it's not racist and precisely analogous to what is going on now... there are unintended consequences to your PC culture ideals where everyone is happy because noone can be offended.

My wife is Korean and thus my kids are half Korean. So I've got no sympathy for people who use racial slurs to make fun of Asians. And this guy went beyond using the term "chinks". He was mimicking their accents and speaking as if Chinese people are beneath him - just a bunch of idiots in his worldview. He came off as a total redneck asshole and I certainly don't blame SNL for cutting ties with him.

The inmates run the asylum.

This thread will probably get deleted like others, but cancel culture and bunch of rats millennials is what is actually wrong with all this manufactured racism.

The way he describes ChinaTown is exactly what it's like, and I love it and go there all the time when i'm in nyc, but he obviously shouldn't use racist derogatory names and he shouldn't have apologized because if you don't word your apology precisely like your audience wants, which is impossible in the end, they are going to pitch fork mob you.

Bolded the only part that matters in your stupid, misguided rant.

I'm not offended by Chappelle's show/stand up, Bill Burr's stand up, Louis CK stand up, Anthony Jeselnik's stand up, etc.

You know why? Because even when they do discuss race or anything "offensive", it is thoughtful and perceptive. They aren't dropping racial slurs just to do it. That is the difference.

Agree?

So if there's a moral statute of limitations, how far back does it go and does it matter if Lorne Micahels/SNL never apologized for their former skits? If I write a song in the 1970s depicting women as inferior, but never apologize for it, if I just wait it out and never comment on it for 40 years, should I get a pass and not expect any blowback from the current society if they find out about it? Is it assumed SNL/Michaels have evolved on this level without an apology?

Further, if Gillis gave an acceptable apology (by your standards) would it be better than no apology from SNL now or then? I'm not sure I see the consistency here. It seems like you get to decide where the vague historical checkpoints are for the accountability you seem to be supporting.

Finally, how do you know Gillis was sincere in his interview? Should is matter if he was joking? He said he was joking; so do we deny him his stated intent? I heard his remarks and they were not funny and in a vacuum, I would perceive them as racist. Yet, he states they were an attempt at humor. Poorly executed humor? Yes, but still humor, according to his words. Thus, how do you choose when he's being a comedian or not? By whether we laugh at the joke or not? Also, should we place a check on other forms of "art" that cross similar lines in our present culture?

If he had said the same things on stage, does he get a pass?

I'm trying to figure out where all your lines of appropriateness are. Wouldn't it be better to just admit the culture is inconsistent in its application of these standards, and that SNL is being hypocritical?

Last edited:
I don't watch SNL routinely anymore (I stopped in the late 90s) outside the momentary blip here or there, so those of you who keep up would know more than me.

Is this standard behavior at SNL? They caved to what appears to be some pretty pedestrian calls of rebuke for the new hire, and canned new hire Shane Gillis before he ever began. Burr and others are already jumping into the fray defending Gillis.

Comedians such as Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, and Rob Schneider are sticking up for fired “Saturday Night Live” cast member Shane Gillis after controversial jokes from the past got the young comedian booted from the NBC sketch-comedy series. “SNL” issued a statement September 16 that it was parting ways with Gillis just days after announcing him as one of three new cast members for Season 45. Following Gillis’ hiring, racist and homophobic jokes he made in the past began circulating on social media and generating outrage.

Burr and Jefferies both appeared on the September 16 episode of David Spade’s Comedy Central talk show “Lights Out” (via The Wrap) and criticized “SNL” for making the decision to fire Gillis because of past jokes. “This is just cancel culture,” Jefferies said. “The guy shouldn’t have been fired. It was just a couple things back in his history. We’re gonna go through everyone’s history?”

Burr was even more incendiary, saying, “Do they go back and also try to look at things the person might’ve done, or are they just looking for the bad stuff? I mean you could honestly do that to anybody. We’re not running for office, when is this gonna f@#$%^ end?”

“You millennials, you’re a bunch of rats, all of you,” Burr added. “None of them care. All they want to do is get people in trouble.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/bill-burr-jim-jefferies-defend-shane-gillis-snl-firing-1202174391/
If you don't watch it why do you care?

So if there's a moral statute of limitations, how far back does it go and does it matter if Lorne Micahels/SNL never apologized for their former skits? If I write a song in the 1970s depicting women as inferior, but never apologize for it, if I just wait it out and never comment on it for 40 years, should I get a pass and not expect any blowback from the current society if they find out about it? Is it assumed SNL/Michaels have evolved on this level without an apology?

Further, if Gillis gave an acceptable apology (by your standards) would it be better than no apology from SNL now or then? I'm not sure I see the consistency here. It seems like you get to decide where the vague historical checkpoints are for the accountability you seem to be supporting.

Finally, how do you know Gillis was sincere in his interview? Should is matter if he was joking? He said he was joking; so do we deny him his stated intent? I heard his remarks and they were not funny. But they were a clear attempt at humor. Poorly executed humor? Yes, but still humor. Thus, how do you choose when he's being a comedian or not? By whether we laugh at the joke or not?

If he had said the same things on stage, does he get a pass?

I'm trying to figure out where all your lines of appropriateness are. Wouldn't it be better to just admit the culture is inconsistent in its application of these standards, and that SNL is being hypocritical?
Man that's a big spoon you are trying to stir the pot with. Congrats

It's not a rant but my thoughts as complete as I can post them given two constraints.

I'm lazy and want to get them out fast and I'm not concerned how you will misinterpret them.

I'm not offended by Chappelle's show/stand up, Bill Burr's stand up, Louis CK stand up, Anthony Jeselnik's stand up, etc.

That's great, neither am I... bet there are certainly others out there who are. Where do you draw the line? Probably the same place I do, but you know what, their comedy is next up on the burner, it will get taken down step by step too..

You know why? Because even when they do discuss race or anything "offensive", it is thoughtful and perceptive. They aren't dropping racial slurs just to do it. That is the difference.

Ofcourse I know why, I said he shouldn't use derogatory terms because they are offensive and that is precisely their meaning and use, to demean.

which is why I said this could be a teachable moment to separate what is racist vs what isn't in making fun of cultures.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
You guys are doing a lot of tap dancing to justify his racist comments.

It's fascinating to watch. Sad...but fascinating.

Idiots like @mustnotsleepnow think everything they disagree with, anything remotely funny, and almost everything in general is racist. No one with a set of balls cares anymore.

If this dude made derogatory comments about Trump or white men, he would be headlining SNL for the foreseeable future.

Liberals are literally ruining anything and everything they come in contact with. You are a virus that needs eradication seriously soon.

mr_robinson_signs1.png

[roll]Yep, some of these people are just too ignorant to be for real.

Reactions: Gassy_Knowls

False.

Reactions: Gassy_Knowls
You guys are doing a lot of tap dancing to justify his racist comments.

It's fascinating to watch. Sad...but fascinating.
False again. The tap dancing is what the left has been doing for years. You are ok with racial remarks if it is directed at your target audience and not the left. Hypocrites the lot of you and you don't hide it. Way to wimp out and give in to the snowflake brigade.

False again. The tap dancing is what the left has been doing for years. You are ok with racial remarks if it is directed at your target audience and not the left.

Since when are ChinaTown and Asian Americans “the left”?

Hint: they’re not.

He's not talking about Asians but liberal elites... for whom it's perfectly ok to mock and degrade certain groups, say white southerners. They aren't elite in anything anwya.

I've lived amoung them in major US cities and it is absolutely the case that for example northerners raise their nose at southerners. In my own personal case you couldn't tell until you asked where I was from and I would always answer Kentucky, and say it proudly knowing full well what they would think or say... Was I concerned what they thought?

Hint: I could give tow ishes of an F what those sort of people think. You aren't better than someone else simply because where you were born (amoung other obvious things)

ADVERTISEMENT