ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all about Nike. They have something called “Kansas Font” on their team uniform page. They are the ones that turned our UK into “Blue Houston.” Basically, Phil Knight can choke on one is what I’m saying.

Reactions: Century Cat
Thursday Randos:

-Chris Beard has shown a pretty remarkable ability to 'reload', given he's at touching Texas Tech. Add that to his insane ability to make good-to-great players out of unheralded guys -- the dude is incredible. Mac McClung is a helluva pickup - they're going to be fairly loaded.

-Started Silicon Valley as a 'light' watch to the rotation, which has gotten a lot of love around here from PTI(pti) and others. It's definitely a funny show, but I find it pretty streaky. I'll go segments or even episodes laughing nonstop, but sometimes it gets a little too cheese. I'm on E7/S1 - one of those shows that stays solid or gets better all the way through?

-Loving all the Vegas updates since the June 4th announcement. Many hotels were setting reservation records yesterday, having to call in hosts & others to assist with reservations, and apparently still couldn't keep up. :) Eying a July 4th trip, but waiting to see just how weird the setup & restrictions make things over the coming weeks. Stay tuned :eyes:

-Heading up to play Pete Dye at French Lick next Tuesday in an organized money game w/ a group of 40 guys from all over town, and even the state (Andy Roberts [sick]). Place is just absolutely incredible from all accounts, always been on my short list. Normally a $350 green fee + caddy & tip, but we got a nice deal of $200 for 36 holes - and there are currently no caddies...so, pretty much 60%+ off for us. [thumb2]

yards, 80 Course Rating, and 148 slope from the tips. :joy: Anything under 90 should be good for me.

-Charlatan KY Derby in jeopardy? Horse racing is so dirty lol.

-Nice to see some Dontaie Allen video, even if it was just him working out solo. Love that jumper - dude has to be hongry at this point. Just hope he stays around.

-Wayne's take about moving to 4am was dead on. My first few years in Louisville after moving from Lex, it was ON. Crushing the Irish bars til 2'ish, moving to @moshpere til 4am, Bambs, home. Seeing the sun come up was kind of a regular thing there for a few years.

-Anyone have an extra comfy/practical/somewhat stylish mask link? Looking more and more like these things are going to be a part of sports and other things I'll want to be doing. I keep the cheap surgical ones in my car/work for grocery/etc, but those obviously aren't going to cut it for extended periods.

-Anyone else read Jager Burton as Jagerbomb? It's impossible to keep that out of my mind every time I see his name, which is often. Really want that kid.

-Short week, ready for another weekend. [cheers]

You’ve been able to buy a hat similar to this one in stores for nearly 20 years.
2524939_fpx.tif

Collegiate Licensing Corp sent me a Cease and Desist that demanded I stop producing my blue t-shirt with the white outline of Kentucky and the number “8” on it (my avi) - and demanded I send them my books so they could determine how much profit I owed them in restitution. I think I posted about it once in GYERO and some dweeb from UK’s marketing dept. lurked here and alerted the authorities.

I had made ~$2.11 on total profit after making one shirt for me and one for a buddy (and incorrectly keeping a margin on the price). So I happily fired off my books to them via email and just insulted the lawyers on the other end for a few thousand words.

Later that year, Mitch spotted my buddy in the shirt at some booster function and patted him on the shoulder and complimented the shirt. So at least he is unknowingly complicit, IMO.

I still have one of these, but have retired it. Also have the same hat with "CATS" in lieu of the "UK" with Ralph Beard's autograph on the bill. That one is retired also.

s-l640.jpg

Reactions: buckethead1978
The Pete Dye course at French Lick is phenomenal. One of my last rounds of golf before my back totally put me on the shelf. It was just opened when I played it. I shot an 84 and played pretty damn well that day. Tough little booger.

Chuckled when I saw the Paddock on the news. Knowing Ostrander, I'm betting he doesn't give two pumps.

Last edited:
Yeah, I realize the block K stuff may not be exactly black market; and that things may have changed or exceptions may have been created since all that happened, which was circa 2005.

Not sure of the details but I think it's pretty clear that UK does not allow the block K as a primary logo.

Mitch is extremely defensive of the checkerboards, which makes me think it was his idea. It would make perfect sense if it was, given how goofy it is.
Dude came to UK directly dripping off the UT taint...

once UT shifted from Adidas to Nike, UT got back their checkerboards and we had to make ours absolutely garish and worse.

I don’t think UTs recent ascension is no coincidence to them hitching their wagon back to the Nike train.

Last edited:
Reactions: B.B.d.K.
One of my buddies growing up had that wallpaper in his bedroom. I’m guessing it eventually just got scraped off and thrown away.

He’s the basketball coach at Metcalfe now so I think there’s at least a couple GYERO connections.

Buy a Buff/neck gaiter. Plenty of those out there with logos and such, theyre actually useful, and you can wear one without looking like an asshole.

Or — just keep it real AF like me, President Trump, UKO, and ChesterMarcol and refuse to wear one. Dig your heels in. Stand your ground. Etc.

#donttreadonme

We. were. broke.

Old Milwaukee 12 packs were sometimes 3.99. Natty around 5. That extra $2 was up to 8 Tostino pizzas.

$5 and $3.99 is a difference of $1.01. Where you drunk when posting that , LOL ? Our "cheap" beer back in the day was Milwaukee's Best 1851. $5 a case. Me and my crew would scrounge up $20 per day to get 3 cases. The extra $5 was for gas money to drive from Madisonville to Mannington (Hopkins was dry county), a round trip in a Big Body Duece and a Quarter (Buick Electra 225) of about 30 miles. We had to throw in a extra $1 to ride AC as gas mileage in that car was terrible. Had to keep a "Boom Box" in the car as the antenna was broke and the only station we could get was 94 KTG for part of the trip. Man those where the days, 4 broke Hood Dudes daily trying to get a nice buzz, hit the City Park to ball out, then hit up the Hopkins Co Fair / Mall / House Party, Horseshoe Lake Party, where ever the action was. Not a worry in the world, well other than figuring out where the $20 for the next day was coming from. Me and my main partner always had our money, the other two ,,,,,

Reactions: Kybluedude
The Pete Dye course at French Lick is phenomenal. One of my last rounds of golf before my back totally put me on the shelf. It was just opened when I played it. I shot an 84 and played pretty damn well that day. Tough little pick my booger.

I played it on a windy day. Course is so hard. It’s literally like playing on the top of a mountain. The elevation changes are amazing. And of course the bunkers. Just a great place. I played 2 rounds back to back and since no one was out there...I went out with one of the Junior Pros during his round. Basically a free private lesson.

$5 and $3.99 is a difference of $1.01. Where you drunk when posting that , LOL ? Our "cheap" beer back in the day was Milwaukee's Best 1851. $5 a case. Me and my crew would scrounge up $20 per day to get 3 cases. The extra $5 was for gas money to drive from Madisonville to Mannington (Hopkins was dry county), a round trip in a Big Body Duece and a Quarter (Buick Electra 225) of about 30 miles. We had to throw in a extra $1 to ride AC as gas mileage in that car was terrible. Had to keep a "Boom Box" in the car as the antenna was broke and the only station we could get was 94 KTG for part of the trip. Man those where the days, 4 broke Hood Dudes daily trying to get a nice buzz, hit the City Park to ball out, then hit up the Hopkins Co Fair / Mall / House Party, Horseshoe Lake Party, where ever the action was. Not a worry in the world, well other than figuring out where the $20 for the next day was coming from. Me and my main partner always had our money, the other two ,,,,,
Pretty sure I was comparing the difference to Miller Lite, which was $2 and not what I was already buying.

Reactions: TriangleUKCat
* I ask this cautiously......but do any of you dog owners have a backpack for your pup? Ridiculous as it may look, I likely will need one of those The Hangover-style carriers for our trip out west next week. Ole boy can easily log a mile or two, but I've got a feeling I'll end up carrying him a time or two. So, yeah. Recs appreciated.

(** SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY **)

Reactions: WayneDougan
* I ask this cautiously......but do any of you dog owners have a backpack for your pup? Ridiculous as it may look, I likely will need one of those The Hangover-style carriers for our trip out west next week. Ole boy can easily log a mile or two, but I've got a feeling I'll end up carrying him a time or two. So, yeah. Recs appreciated.

(** SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY **)

giphy.gif

Reactions: jameslee32
Ron, we probably have crossed paths multiple times. Lass was one of Erick's first bartenders he hired, if not the first, when he bought his share of The Paddock and was still partners with Scott. We also were in many pictures on those walls.

Having your girlfriend behind the bar while throwing down with your buddies then just keeping the party rolling when the doors "closed," talk about some wild nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT