ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero doubt Oats isn't Mitch's top, or probably even on his short list, but if it's even partially true that Boosters/Power ultimately 'hire' big time coaches, i don't see how he has a choice.

I mean, he hired CAL. Who are the new power players (RIP Pratt, etc) who will make this (or another homerun) happen? He'd be a fine hire, but You can't just go straight to Drew here.
That’s been my major concern for years.

Maybe Givens and Master? They should do a committee of both internal and external folks. If it’s just Mitch then it’s likely Drew without fully considering others (a number of whom have much higher ceilings than Drew).

I’ve said this before, but the availability of analytics to the general public absolutely killed Calipari. Everyone had access to who his best lineups and players were, so his refusal to employ them in a logical way was there for the world to see. You can’t bullshit your way around math.
It wasn't the proliferation of advanced computer analytics. It's the fact we have eyeballs.

The volume of whiners on Twitter saying this is a mistake is stunning to me. Any of them who aren't UK fans are probably trolls anyway, but the non-Cal players who call themselves UK fans? Absolute pussies. Child please, Billy G ain't walking through that door and it's not like the whole damn team wasn't going to be replaced with new faces even if Cal was here. Chickenshits. Tyson Chicken has given us a tremendous gift.

What about letting JEFF run the team as an interim coach, you know, maybe get Reed to stay for sure…

I actually think there’s a very decent chance he stays though.

If anyone has come through this program in the last 10 years desperately wanting more than 0-1 in both tournies it’s that guy.

I think it would be tough for him to sleep in his golden years not having taken a run at a title.

Oh no! Missing out on, even if it’s 25 million dollars out of the 100 million he’ll probably make, one year on the trailblazers bench!?!?! Who gives a shit? I’d stay.

Reed, like us, grew up shooting 3s like Delk, Walker and D’ing up Laettner, except it was Harris and Miller and Wall, in the driveway.

I loved Jordan like everyone but I wasn’t going against Laimbeer or Bird in the driveway in NBA matchups. I was out there repeating the big shots and changing UK’s history with the Defensive stops we didn’t make at the time.

I think Reed is like us.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jayroon
Donovan would be a dream, Oats I like, and honestly I don’t mind Drew. He’s a great recruiter and won a title 3 years ago with a badass team of transfer guards, not sure I’m understanding all the hate there. The sheer fact Cal is gone makes it impossible for me to not be happy though, I was completely checked out.

Donovan would be a dream, Oats I like, and honestly I don’t mind Drew. He’s a great recruiter and won a title 3 years ago with a badass team of transfer guards, not sure I’m understanding all the hate there. The sheer fact Cal is gone makes it impossible for me to not be happy though, I was completely checked out.
I don't think there is hate for Drew. It doesn't feel like he brings the excitement level of the other names mentioned.

Edited to add that he also looks like the bastard son of Jim Nantz

Last edited:
This is probably a really controversial take, but - I'm not sold on Donovan. That's like getting that luxury SUV that you've always wanted, but you're buying it used with tons of miles on it. I just don't know what he has left in the tank.

Go get the brand new Ferrari.
Think i'm in the same frame of mind... really like Donovan, great career, still great coach- but dont know if he'd be my guy for UK at this point. If that's where we land- all good, but there is probably a better fit for the current time

This is probably a really controversial take, but - I'm not sold on Donovan. That's like getting that luxury SUV that you've always wanted, but you're buying it used with tons of miles on it. I just don't know what he has left in the tank.

Go get the brand new Ferrari.
He just spent a decade coaching, dissecting, studying NBA offense and defense. He would come in with a wealth of new knowledge along with the advantage of NIL and the transfer portal. He's not a player. The mileage is a good thing.

He just spent a decade coaching, dissecting, studying NBA offense and defense. He would come in with a wealth of new knowledge along with the advantage of NIL and the transfer portal. He's not a player. The mileage is a good thing.
And let's be real. Coaching is a team sport in 2024 unless you're name is John Calipari. Donovan would be a great fit for the HC role, but I'm equally as confident in his ability to pull top-tier assistants.

I still think Drew will be head Coach. I think Donavon - Wright - Hurley - Oates all get feelers but say no. Mitch will get his man. I think he’s wanted him for several years
Hopefully we all support him until he loses a game

My issue with Drew is that it’s hypocritical of Mitch to overlook his past (probation/suspension/improper benefits/once told a recruit he’d be deported if he didn’t sign with him) and act like he’s squeaky clean but to not even consider Oats, who seemingly has a much higher ceiling, because of how he handled the Miller incident.

We need some boosters to call him out on his bs with this.

Last edited:
Drove on up from Grayson Co and listened to the KSR show and had lunch at the bar. Enjoyed it. Great day to be a cat fan.

Per the woman who checked me in at the Homewood by Hilton Fayette Mall, she understands how Cal could leave because she volunteered for a gardening club and the pressure was too much for her.

Big, if true.

Already on the tracking planes...kinda my weird hobby anyway.

They get sneaky on these, fly out of Clark Co Indiana or RJ's place which is hard to track from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT