ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of 20+ years on this board, Matt May’s kid goes to the same daycare as ours and after all these years, he stopped me the other day and said “Jaime, how do I know you? I just can’t place it.” I was like, “Hi, I’m Wodie Sloot. Sorry about all the trouble we cause 15-20 years ago!” I told him we’re all still here and to stop by and say hello sometime.

Flaming hot take: I’m more likely to pay more attention to the tourney if we aren’t in it. The second we lose if we’re in it, I’ll check out. If we aren’t in it I’ll carry no delusions of Reeves getting unconscious and carrying us to a sweet 16.

Gold standard ATKOT. Or maybe this is just me telling myself this as copium.

In the bargaining phase of grief- just get me into the tournament so I can enjoy Selection Sunday and the first week. 🙏🏻
This is what kills me. The lack of hope of actually doing something in the NCAAT. As a college basketball program you have one job- do something in March. Be relevant in March. And we aren’t doing that.

We’re effing UC basketball.

I’m holding out hope that the College of Charleston can make the tourney for the first time since 2018.

Pat Kelsey, Cincy native and Xavier alum, is doing an incredible job there. They had the longest winning streak in the country and were ranked #18 until they lost to Hofstra 2 weeks ago. They’ve built a ton of buzz down in that city selling out their small, but nice, 5100 seat arena.

I suppose an at large bid is an uphill battle but they’ll be the favorite to win the Colonial Tourney to secure an automatic.

Thinking about making a trip down there if they make the tourney to hang out with some old college buddies and watch their first round game at a patio bar, which if they would win the place would go apeshit.

I
I’m holding out hope that the College of Charleston can make the tourney for the first time since 2018.

Pat Kelsey, Cincy native and Xavier alum, is doing an incredible job there. They had the longest winning streak in the country and were ranked #18 until they lost to Hofstra 2 weeks ago. They’ve built a ton of buzz down in that city selling out their small, but nice, 5100 seat arena.

I suppose an at large bid is an uphill battle but they’ll be the favorite to win the Colonial Tourney to secure an automatic.

Thinking about making a trip down there if they make the tourney to hang out with some old college buddies and watch their first round game at a patio bar, which if they would win the place would go apeshit.

I tried to check Kelsey at an open gym back in 1995 one time. That was fun.

Most low-key GYERO athlete when it comes to "who was the best guy you ever played against" was K-Gar. His podunk, zero stoplight town high school played Oak Hill Academy in basketball, and Thomas/Julius Jones in football.

Pretty sure they lost all of those contests.

-I got dunked on by all-pro cornerback Frank Minifield at the high street YMCA...sometime in my early 20's. He was 5' 9" and in his late 30's at the time, iirc.

^also had to guard/fouled the shit out of the the Transy kid that dunked on boogie. Worst corporate league experience ever.

Me and Ron Mercer went head to head in a summer basketball game in '93 (He was a Jr and I was a Sr). I hit a 3 in his face. He cut me with his fingernail and I had to come out of the game. When I checked back in, he had that "I'm about to ruin this white boy" look on his face. And he did. He went baseline and did that beautiful reverse layup that he was known for, even though I was hanging off his left arm. And-1. He got in my face to let me know I wasn't on his level. And even though he was right, I couldn't back down. We chested up and had to be separated. He apologized the next trip down the floor (he wanted to look good for the coaches that were there to watch).

We'd see each other on UK campus from time to time and he would just look at me - I think he was trying to place who I was. So I just came up to him one day and said, MTSU basketball camp your Jr. year at Goodpasture. He then remembered me . . .vaguely. Said, "what's up" and went on about his way.

Same thing happened with Padgett. He was hurt when we played St. X my Sr. year at a Christmas tourney. We were by ourselves in the lobby at Singletary Center and I went up to him and said "You probably don't remember me . . ." He cut me off and said "Monroe County. I remember." We small talked about 3 minutes (he was enamored with one of our cheerleaders - he flirted with her all game from the bench) and then went on our way.

I'm legit, boys!

RIP to Kurt Johnson who single handedly destroyed a buddy of mine with a 4.3 speed blindside tackle during a Kirwan complex snowball fight in ‘88.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Powell Valley was the HS in Big Stone Gap that the Jones brothers attended. They had one of those baseball/football combo fields. Played on a few of those and hated them because it was always 70% dirt.

Closed 10-15 yrs go and merged with another school.

I have "partook" with former UVA/GB Packer Tyrone Davis (RIP). Went to same HS.

My best friend from UK, who was quite the athlete (at least to us) was knocked unconscious trying to tackle Shaun Alexander on a kickoff return in HS.

As for me, I smoked a blunt with Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch while Cliff Hawkins was smoking swisher sweets and my buddy did a ton of yayo with Jules Camara until 6 AM the year after he graduated. We really bonded that night.

My best friend from UK, who was quite the athlete (at least to us) was knocked unconscious trying to tackle Shaun Alexander on a kickoff return in HS.

As for me, I smoked a blunt with Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch while Cliff Hawkins was smoking swisher sweets and my buddy did a ton of yayo with Jules Camara until 6 AM the year after he graduated. We really bonded that night.
I played against Shawn Alexander in High school as well. We actually held their offense scoreless. I played defensive end and would under cut the pulling guard every play and leave a mess in the backfield. Great game plan

Worked great till he ran 2 kick offs back against us and they won 14-6

He was a beast. He was only a sophomore still and I was a senior. It's obvious when youre that age even, dude was on another level.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Anybody ever smoke weed with Dawg Carruth or Jason Parker?
I did with Carruth and Adam Chiles one night at a buddy's house. Toked up with several players during the team turmoil season too, they lived in the aparment below my plug during the time Wildcat Lodge was being remodeled.

Hung out with Gatewood on multiple occasions. In his car, in my living room, after a presentation he made one night to the Economics Club at UK, and in the parking lot behind my fraternity house. Dude is one of my heros.

Had the unfortunate experience of playing against Larry Johnson, Fred Cowan and Dwayne Casey. It never ended well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT