ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived in Iroquois until I was 10, then moved to PRP until I was 13, and then Jtown until I graduated.

Being from here I never thought of it as a tie to the HS as much as the area or people we may know.

I would get why outsiders see it as weird, but the affiliations based on who you may have known or been associated with made it a lot easier to know if you were my kind of people.

I legit think it’s the catholic schools that make it that way though as their pride is odd and somewhat cultish.

Reactions: blue23 and DNOKAT
Yeah, we can all agree that the Western Kentuckians are the most untrustworthy of the lot.

I mean, I encounter a guy from Pikeville, I know exactly who I’m dealing with. A guy from Benton or Mayfield? Unpredictable and sociopathic. And a Cardinals fan, too - which is maybe the most damning fact.

Just popping in to add some R to GYERO.

As far as all time classics go, James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” has to have the most god-awful shitty ending of them all. What a fine classic that devolves into an incoherent train wreck as he had no idea how to end the song so he just rambles and keeps strumming and the volume gradually lowers and he strums some more to make it keep going but it’s even shittier than before and what the hell are we even doing just smash the GD guitar anything would be better at this *brown eyed girl or margaritaville starts playing as the next song on the playlist*

SsN6MZO.jpg
Yo @legalbeagle123 this a button my buddy’s dad made before we played Benton in the finals of the district middle school championship game. Would have been around 1987/88 or so. Before your time.

Reactions: legalbeagle123
1968 - 98 Best Town On Errrffff

1998 - Present - KY High School Football Powerhouse (Other than big city private school cheating, recruiting schools) / Little League Baseball Mecca of KY / Vette City

Odd thing around these parts, people outside of Bowling Green if you ask them "where are you from ?"
Answer : Butler Co, Edmonson Co. , Metcalf Co., etc. They always name the county. Took me a few years getting used to.

Owensboro, LOL. It does have the dirty ass river town distinction just like Cincy and Louisville. (Their slogan should be "We are trying so hard to be like our idol Bowling Green, but we suck and there is nothing here but a shitty, overrated BBQ buffet joint and a stinky ass river.")
Paducah you really can even put in the same category as a river town, but they do have one hell of a quilt show there, so they have that going for them.

Dirty, bad vibe, disgusting, no redeeming qualities town - Hopkinsville or Hoptown as the locals call it. Madisonville is running neck and neck with them, Best Town On Earth sign be damned. My uncle was Judge Executive there for 12 years, finally gave up on it and retired a few years ago.

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
Seven Nation Army - The Dynamics
All is Full of Love - Björk
She Moves in Her on Way - The Kooks
Ohio River - Loves Jones
All that Hatin - Lil Reese

^ Sonos last randoms

Drinking on DHome Toasted Rye, watching Yankees lose.

Y’all can bash Benton and WKY but they produce some SMOKE per capita.

Speaking of “per capita” at one time in the mid to late 80’s Marshall County had the highest per capital teen pregnancies in the Country. So not only were they smoke they were horny, too.

- These goddamned cicadas, for managing to survive in the earth for 17 years, sure are stupid sonsofbitches. I’m sitting here on my back porch getting loaded, just watching an assembly line of chipmunks, squirrels, and robins absolutely feast. These dumbass bugs have no defensive mechanisms whatsoever. If they turn over on their back, they can’t even get upright. Like turtles.

- I have had to leash my 12 year old miniature dachshund whenever he goes outside, because otherwise he eats them until he pukes. Like he did in the middle of my bed at 2 a.m. last night. Just a big, gelatinous ball of wings and exoskeletons. Nasty ass shit.

- Once I finally fell back asleep, I awoke to a text message at 5:05 a.m from one of my best buddies from college, reading, “I had a dream last night about your wife. Giggity.” Only best friends of 21 years can get away with that kind of shit without getting their ass kicked.

- And if I wasn’t feeling bad enough this morning, one of the senior partners at my office put me on the spot in the copy room and caused me to take this super gay summer associate to lunch. Which is fine, I don’t give a shit that he is super gay, but goddamned if he isn’t annoying as f**k. “Hey Nick, you have lunch plans? No? Guess what, Jorge doesn’t either. Enjoy!” F**k you, old man. Enjoy the vibrating car seat of your Audi S8 on your way home, that’s the last stimulation you’ll feel today.

- 120 year old giant maple tree that was planted when my house was built finally quit putting out leaves this spring. What a kick in the nuts to look out your window one morning, while pleasantly drinking coffee and chomping nicotine tablets, and realize you’re going to have to spend a few grand on removing something that was once splendid, and now is dead.

- I hate lawyers, and I especially hate bar associations.

- The line between the Midwest and South occurs somewhere around Sadieville.

Last edited:
Those of us from Maysville know we live in God’s country.

Former roommate aside never overly impressed with Lexingtonians. A little too smug. Had a lot of good friends from Louisville but tired of hearing how everything was better there. Western Kentuckians were always a hoot and people from Franklin were just crazy. Didn’t know a whole lot of Northern Kentuckians but ended up marrying a girl from Ft Thomas and now know quite a few and am generally favorably impressed even though they talk funny.

DoubleSecret, Maysville is a really nice place, in my opinion. I’d live there in a heartbeat, if I had a good job, or I won the lottery. Which I guess is the million dollar issue for anywhere off the beaten path.

I’d buy an old place down on Route 8 overlooking the river, fix it up during the day, and at night walk down to that Irish bar y’all have near the river, and just get blasted. I’d also fish a lot. Always had good largemouth action in the creek mouths around Maysville. Especially the creeks going west towards Augusta. Simpler times.

Yeah, we can all agree that the Western Kentuckians are the most untrustworthy of the lot.

I mean, I encounter a guy from Pikeville, I know exactly who I’m dealing with. A guy from Benton or Mayfield? Unpredictable and sociopathic. And a Cardinals fan, too - which is maybe the most damning fact.

Most Bullshit post in capaw history. Foh. What is your email? (PM)

- Going to a celebration of life tomorrow for my brother in law that passed away last November. He was huge Wildcat fan and we had some great times going to games. He also went to 31 Indy 500s in a row and I miss him everyday.

- Friday 5 (Old guy edition)
When the levee breaks - Led Zeppelin
For whom the bell tolls - Metallica
Walk Away - Joe Walsh
Monkey Man - Rolling Stones
(I'll give you) Money - Peter Frampton
-Good on you. My best friend in the world was my gma. She died during Covid as I mentioned when I came back to GYERO. I know how much you all love tats but I got her birth year in Roman numerals on my heart on Mother’s Day, my first without her. I wouldn’t have gone another day without thinking of her anyway, but now it’s forever and totally happy with it.

-Woodford County Wrestling...gtfo. Those guys were absolute BEASTS when I was at central Hardin and we were very good. Jojo Carr and Nate touching curly haired whatever his last name was, were monsters. Never seen anything like it. You could NOT beat them, especially Jojo. He won nationals like twice. That team was unreal.

St X was behind them but I pinned some scraggly touch over my weight class because my boy didn’t make weight with a straight pin. Even yelled at the ref, “Touching call it!” He’d given up but the ref wanted to make sure. Touch both those squads but much respect.

-Absoltuely slaying it down here right now, almost unfair. I can make stupid money and do, but not willing to go back to the 5 day a week schedule work wants me to. Life here on days off is worth it. Sure I could make $1600 extra for two more days of work, but that’s not why I’m here.

-My Potcakes dog from the Bahamas I just got LOVES me and vice versa. Officially named him Buster because he’s all black and has two white front paws. He’s a boxer in another life but docile as can be now. Love this guy and he’s brought joy to my life.

27 years in between dogs I actually own. Can’t believe i waited so long but I was a selfish guy and liked doing what I want. Now I can’t imagine a day without him.

Maysville is amazing. Born there and grew up there for five years and had so much fun at MCC’s pool. Put your burger on dads tab and go back to playing sharks and minnows just waiting for his group to show up on 17? and go out there an watch them. Loved that place and played at Chippaways for years after.

That’s where you raise up kids in KY. Also the Clooney’s and a decent mob presence back in the day. What a place.

-The moving away from where you grew up thing is tough. I LOVE where I live and it isn’t easy leaving everything behind. But I also go back and visit and all my old boys still live there in Etown.

Sometimes I feel like are you guys just staying here forever...and sometimes I wish I could join them, will never happen. Still love seeing them and happy for them but I’m happy that I made that move.

Last edited:
My Dad once told me when it comes to folks from Eastern Kentucky to be very careful and always try to remain on their good side. They’ll either give you their shirt off their back or they’ll kill you.
There are hollers within hollers within hollers there. Plenty of good places to bury bodies and make problems disappear forever. You know, if you ever need that sort of thing.

The wife is from Pikeville and her father was so welcoming when I asked for her hand in marriage, but talk ended it with " If you ever screw over my daughter, I know some old, deep dark coal mines in these mountains with bottomless pits and they will never find your body, never!" and said it with no smile, straight faced.

Don't mess with EKY people ol' son.
Grandparents still live in Lynch, KY... the same house since late 40’s/early 50’s. Across the creek used to be old coal houses but now is just overgrown forest and God knows what else has been dumped there the last 20-30 years.

Reactions: HUBER
Former roommate aside never overly impressed with Lexingtonians.
Love you too buddy.

Wife busted out the paella last night. Was pretty damn good. She’s obsessed with all things Spain, good thing I’m 8% Iberian. Tinto de verrano was quite refreshing as well.

Little man just keeps growing. Won’t bother me if he’s 6’6 and 250. Anybody in Lex got a good karate instructor for kids?

Wheels up for LCK. Flank steaks on the Blackstone tonight.

Love you too buddy.

Wife busted out the paella last night. Was pretty damn good. She’s obsessed with all things Spain, good thing I’m 8% Iberian. Tinto de verrano was quite refreshing as well.

Little man just keeps growing. Won’t bother me if he’s 6’6 and 250. Anybody in Lex got a good karate instructor for kids?

Wheels up for LCK. Flank steaks on the Blackstone tonight.
Cobra Kai out at Eastland. No mercy!

Reactions: drxman1
My Dad once told me when it comes to folks from Eastern Kentucky to be very careful and always try to remain on their good side. They’ll either give you their shirt off their back or they’ll kill you.
The wife is from Pikeville and her father was so welcoming when I asked for her hand in marriage, but talk ended it with " If you ever screw over my daughter, I know some old, deep dark coal mines in these mountains with bottomless pits and they will never find your body, never!" and said it with no smile, straight faced.

Don't mess with EKY people ol' son.

- For the record, I'd smash Jewel on her worst day.

-Hoping Keion has the break out year we've been waiting for and is that elder classmen we have so been waiting for.

-Do we need Mintz back with the guard rotation we have? Sure depth is important, but we have some quality in the position now.

-Called off our last rec ball practice today to head to club, float in the pool, and drink ice cold ones all day while the lass and kids frolic around with their buddies. Are Airpods waterproof? I'd really love to listen to some jams while I float around and basically be non approachable.

-Trying to find a version of Astronaut in the Ocean that is edited and doesn't say shit every 10 seconds for my kids walk up music for his travel team has been most difficult. It's a banger, but what will the other parents say with the word "shit" being pumped out of the massive bluetooth speaker 3-4 times a game? And will it provide the same in game, at the plate results as Grove Street has for my son the past few seasons? Questions that simply can't be answered I guess until it happens. #TravelBallParentLYFE

-Speaking of Travel Ball, I have completed the transition into the Dad I said I would never be. I discovered this the other night when I was taking inventory of the massive amounts of gear that's collecting in our garage from our 2 sons who have been playing travel balls for a few years now. Easily $2K in bats, multiple gloves, a pile of scrapped up $80-$100 Pit Viper style Oakley Sunglasses, 20 of those $40 water jug things that hang on the fence, 7-8 of those amazing rocker folding chairs in an assortment of sizes, and other crap. It's just stupid really. And for us, there are still YEARS more of this stuff if they choose to stick with it, every weekend my wife with one kid, in one county, playing ball, me with the other in another county, playing ball, and then seeing each other later Saturday and Sunday night, heading to work Monday exhausted. Wash, Rinse, Repeat, Over and over and over again.

People say enjoy these years because one day I'll miss them, and maybe that's true, but I honestly don't see how when Dr Boat sends me pictures of boat boobs every weekend and that sure does seems alot more fun. When baseball is over, and before I hang it up and head down south somewhere, weekends on a boat will be in my future, and I dont think Ill ever miss all of this baseball stuff. My kids being young, sure, but every weekend sweating to death in some random county baseball complex...... Without my wife and other kid.... Probably not.

-Officially down 35 pounds from March. Slow and steady and feeling great.

-Top and doors off of Jeep yesterday morning. Left work early to cruise around the countryside, jamming 90's rock tunes, and admiring some of the beautiful landscape Central Kentucky has to offer, stopped off for a couple cold ones at my local watering hole, and home in time for my wife to think I came straight home from the office. Nice crisp ride into the office this morning, again with no doors or top, giving the Jeep wave to fellow enthusiasts, and enjoying the start to my day.

-Woodford County > Jessamine County

Grandparents still live in Lynch, KY... the same house since late 40’s/early 50’s. Across the creek used to be old coal houses but now is just overgrown forest and God knows what else has been dumped there the last 20-30 years.
Where in Lynch? I think #3 is where Papaw and them grew up. It was a big green house on the right if you're headed up towards the mountain. I love it up there and used to play ball at the courts on Congo Straight just as you head into Lynch before the Social Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT