ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving the states during America’s greatest holiday tradition is total nonsense.
When I was FUNemployed during the last Global Economic Crisis my wife and I took a trip to visit her sister’s I-banker friend in London and stay in his futuristic apartment. I didn’t pay too much attention to the trip dates because I wasn’t paying much attention to any dates at the time.

Turns out: we flew back on Thanksgiving Day and I had a chicken, lamb, and rice from a Halal Cart with both hot and white sauce for Thanksgiving Dinner that year. The streets were like “I am Legend.” (I’d given up on flying home for Thanksgiving years earlier, but usually we had a “Friendsgiving” on Thanksgiving of some sort.)

Canadian Thanksgiving is on Columbus Day, for those of you keeping score at home.

Insert "xyz" expensive bourbon and it will fit the gyero-esque standards.

Currently on the shelf...Eagle, Knob 120 single barrel, Henry McKenna 10 yr, Weller Antique, Four Roses single barrel, New Riff single barrel, and some Fred Sanford Ripple.

Egg McMuffin w/ the good egg (thanks, BBdK, for the tip) and add a little mayo.

Keeneland w/ 3 horses down in the first week. Not good.

Gerrit Cole has been just stupid good for months. He was 4-5 with a 4.11 e.r.a. on May 22nd....finished 20-5 w/ a 2.50 e.r.a....then throw in the 2 playoff games.

...and we all know Kate Upton, but Cole is right there w/ his lady.

920x920.jpg

I am on an absolute TEAR on the FB bourbon gambol.

last week: PVW 15x2, THH, WLW x2, GTS, CYBP, ORVW, Lot B, WFE 6 yr, RHF.

Gotta sell some back though. Spent a touch more than I meant to.

Reactions: drxman1
Arkansas Friday (shorter) Shorts:

- Greek meat sauce is fine as a topping. Fun to laugh at how upset people get arguing over it, though.

- Still sitting on an all-SW juice bottle of PVW 23. Probably share it with my son on his wedding day or something like that down the road.

- Not the easiest time of year to do it, but time for this dad to lose some weight. Looking at old pictures even from just a few years ago is disheartening.

- Not necessarily saying people who are "okay" with not getting Cade if we get Askew are wrong, but they're wrong. Among other things, it's not even a given he will reclassify.

- BBM has been an absolute waste of time for years. Get off my lawn take, but give me old school Midnight Madness in Memorial.

- Going to attempt to just enjoy the rest of the season for what it is, knowing we don't have the team we expected. Let's win this one for 22.

- Lass was a UK cheerleader and was on the sidelines for the legendary 7OT game. A very cool honor she will always have.

- Can't compare to Vegas, of course, but talking with some friends about doing a few nights in Indiana for the first weekend of the tournament. Post up in the sports book, hammer some collides, lose money all day.

- With all the experts around here, best card these days for travel points?

Last edited:
-Wtf are you talking about - Egg McMuffin *is* the good egg.

-27 holes at Hurstbourne CC yesterday for the Osborne Cup, which is the de facto State Pro Am Championship. Good lord that place is sick. :flushed: Our A-Team took home 5th, 2nd of all the Louisville clubs.

-Rack on the Sapphire Reserve...although the regular Sapphire doesn't have the large fee, and is currently at a higher bonus (60K). For a newbie, I'd start with that one.

-Are those all from Fireballs CB? Lord man, what's your monthly budget for that.

-Old Fo 1920 back on shelves everywhere -- in the $50 range, that's still the best one out there imo. I have the Parker's Heritage (orange) from last year, it's very nice.

Last edited:
-Evan Williams BiB white label at like $26 is the best easy to find bottle out there. The single barrel is great as well and pretty easy to find.

-So many good whiskeys b/w $25-65 out there. That Stagg and WLW do reign supreme though I'm not spending secondary prices.

-Kate is aging much better than I anticipated. Still :fire:

-Pretty dumb, considering it's not his song, but I just can't get over Stapleton hitting it big singing about Tennessee Whiskey. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

-Finished up the T-Ball season last night. What a hoot. Got a kid that form tackles any other kid with the ball a couple times a game. :joy: Straight up Bobby Boucher from across the outfield. It's fantastic. Anyway, the team showed a few glimpses of making actual baseball plays last night and a few(including G) really came out of their shells as the season went on. Great stuff.

-Best card to start with is always the SW Companion deal. Especially now you have SDF/CVG with flights and it's the perfect month to start. Then, unless things have changed, getting a Saphire Reserve to be your everyday card is the next step.

-:raised_hands: watching BBM from my couch. So blessed. Caint wait. Bourbon SZN.

-Ginkgo berries. :mad::mad: Going to be a real issue tomorrow. Amazing tree but sonofabitch.

-A lot of things in this hyper-sensitive media headline driven non-sense that annoys me BUT demanding coaches and players take political positions during press conferences is ridiculous. What are we doing here?

-Hogs in town and beef on the menu, need to come up with a pork sidecar for tomorrow. Should give me a project for the day.

-Just started Wild Ride, IIRC WCC recommended at some point, about dark days of Calumet Farm. Really solid out of the gates.

-Gimme Kuminga and either PG.

-Ginkgo berries are falling like mad in the backyard right now. Landscapers are coming to pick them up today, but I’m sure there will be more falling. Watch your step so your shoes don’t smell like vomit.

-CSC, we like our Chase Sapphire Reserve, but I’m sure some of the other travel balls can give you more info on getting more than one card, business cards, etc. Check out The Points Guy for specific tips on how to do it. It’s a lot to track (especially at first), but worth it when most of your vacations are on points.

-I hate missing Madness tonight, but it is kinda boring, though George loves going. Blue/White Scrimmage next Friday though.

-I forgot to snap SAE a pic of mine and anthonys735’s flip flopped feet on a plane this past trip.

-Looks like we got out of CA just in time. These wildfires are no joke. And being without power sucks too.

Reactions: wcc31 and drxman1
I mean, you have to kind of look at what you want to use your reward points on. Flights, hotels, cash back...

Sapphire, whether reserve or preferred, is a no brainer. Can transfer points to Hyatt, Marriot, southwest, United, let alone their own travel site.

Delta platinum is stepping up their game, offering double points now on food and some other things. Makes a lot of sense if you fly delta often.

The southwest companion pass is the jewel of the points game, if you plan on taking lots of trips together. If not, then maybe see above.

Hyatt is the best hotel chain for rewards and it’s not even close. They just don’t have as many hotels as Marriott.

But nothing beats bonuses. Spend the minimum, get the goodies, use before annual fee next year, cut and on to the next one.

Adopted a pup a few weeks ago. Mastiff/Black Lab but the runt. Traveled this week so seeing the little guy run up to me last night was awesome. Wanted him to sleep in the bed so talked the wife into that and 3 am I woke up shivering because the comforter, puppy and wife were gone. He yacked all over the place. Still, worth it.

Adopted a Mastiff / Rhodesian Ridgeback about 6 years ago. Best dog I have ever owned. Housebroke at 6 months. THE best dog around kids and barks maybe once every 2 or 3 months. If it came down to him or wife, it would be a very tough decision.

Reactions: Mashburned
Hyatt is the best hotel chain for rewards and it’s not even close. They just don’t have as many hotels as Marriott.

We have Hilton and IHG and never had anything less than stellar. Free nights at The Palazzo for the December games trip is sweet.

^ correct. Hilton is the worst, and Marriot isn't far behind. If you're a business traveler and rack up millions it's no issue, but for the normal guy just trying to game their way into some free nights, neither of those are ideal.

Hyatt is the runaway winner in easy value. IHG is probably 2nd especially if you use their point break specials, and their card is the easiest to churn - I've had it 5-6 times already.

Yeah SPG used to be awesome.

Basically have one super premium card (Chase reserve or Amex platinum) then burn through all the other hotel/air cards.

My wife and I split cards.

At the moment, I have CSR and SW (with companion through end of 2020) and do most of my charging to the SW card.

Wife use her own CSR for most of her purchase.

Towards the end of 2020, she will switch over to SW (to get the Companion Pass by signing up for both individual and corporate card).

Rinse and repeat every two years.

Last edited:
We have a top class and the most returning players in the Cal era but insatiable gyero's are lamenting about anything and everything before a game has even been played. Fast forward to February when this team is a contender again and the apologies reign.

BLINK is the most underwhelming thing the city has ever done. Unless maybe if you're a kid. To think they once had a world class event called Tall Stacks is mind boggling.

Elijah Craig 23 is one of my personal favorites. Picked up a Stagg for celebration of another trip around the sun. Blanton’s has always been a staple, but the SFTB is on roids.

Eagle Rare 23 is a special treat.
EC18 is great too. I remember buying it 10 years ago in a bar for $6 or $7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT