ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Yeah- used to be some must-watch games, nice teaser heading into the weekend.

- I love the self righteous stand sportswriters take after a bigtime college coach mildly blames his players for a loss in the postgame presser.

- Churchhill bought River Downs.

- Has conference expansion worked for any skippers besides Mizzou and A&M in the SEC?

Maitland Ward. She looks good for being 42.

But I would totally skip over her during the high pressure decision making process of which pron to watch.

Boy Meets World's Maitland Ward.

Believe that I will be in Vegas as well, debating trying to get on Shadow Creek Thursday. Figure the $500 for the round is a good deal considering the odds are great I'd lose more then $500 at the tables during that 6 hour.

Filming your server is pretty creepy even for Larry. She definitely seems rattled.

There is a billion percent chance that Ol' Larry orders specifically to increase his interaction with the waitress -- fondue, baked Alaska, bananas foster, etc.

If a dish requires a 24 year old woman to do something tableside and hustle for a tip, you absolutely know Leisure Suit Larry is ordering it.

RE: Succession

Shouldn’t they have casted someone hotter in the role of Siohban?

- Has conference expansion worked for any skippers besides Mizzou and A&M in the SEC?

TCU and a Utah probably benefitted the most ... then UofL and WVU. Schools that were already in a P5 league but moved are better off financially but wandering through the desert not knowing who they are (Maryland... I’m looking at you).

Reactions: wcc31
[sick]Memphis new court
EF_l3R8XoAAyj_k

EF_lrrWXYAAZvZv

Believe that I will be in Vegas as well, debating trying to get on Shadow Creek Thursday. Figure the $500 for the round is a good deal considering the odds are great I'd lose more then $500 at the tables during that 6 hour.

Plan now if so...limited # of guest players they allow on and you do have to stay at an MGM brand resort.

The Wynn course re-opens next week and is also half a grand, but the Fazio re-design is supposed to be awesome.

If you want to save some coin, then try here...fun to play and a wonderful replica course... https://www.royallinksgolfclub.com/ It is 8 miles from the strip.

My close personal friend, Nate Bargatze.

If true, that maybe the coolest thing I have seen on GYERO. Bargatze seems like a dude we all could be buddies with. He did Bert's podcast at Zanies a few years back and they were taking shots all show, one of best episodes I've heard. Extra points if you knew him back in the early years when he was rocking the buzz cut and chin beard.

Bur's shtick is not for me, he seems like our generations Dennis Leary. He has some good jokes, but the constant yelling is too much.

Still think the top 5 (in no order) right now are:

Kreischer
Segura
Bargatze
Chappelle
Jeselnik

Pretty interesting read on the Houston furniture store owner who has bet $ 5 mill on the Astros to win the world series. He is trying to bet another $5 mill, for a total of $10mill.
Apparently he has a deal that if the Astros win the world series anybody that purchases a $3k or more mattress gets it free. He did the deal in 2017 and it cost him $10mill.
He is basically mitigating his losses or hedging his bet if the Astros win.

Did Tracy McGrady not have a long, healthy career? I'm a little confused by his inclusion on that list.

Grant Hill figured out a way to still be effective in spite of his injuries, and to a lesser extent, so did Penny in Phoenix.

Derrick Rose and Brandon Roy, once they got injured, they were DONE. They're 1 & 2 of that group for sure.

What about Yao Ming? Dude was just scratching the surface when his feet gave out.

Personally, I am much more excited to see Michigan State take on Kentucky. For starters, those are the two best teams in the country, for my money, and both of them have enough returning from last season that this should be a fairly high level basketball game. I’m also salivating thinking about watching the matchup between NBC Sports Preseason Player of the Year Cassius Winston trying to operate against the best defensive player in college basketball in Ashton Hagans.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...nce-games-in-college-basketball-in-2019-2020/

Friday Yes Five: 36 minutes of progressive rock
  1. Roundabout
  2. South Side of the Sky
  3. Long Distance Run Around
  4. Starship Trooper: Life Seeker / Disillusion / Wurm
  5. I've Seen All Good People: A. Your Move, B. All Good People
Sub in some Owner of a Lonely Hart for one of those at your discretion.

Spent some time in Alberta this week: Snow, ice, cold. No thank you. The hopelessness I felt for the people up there is palpable. The hotel had plug-ins in every parking spot for a block heater for your car. I just don't know how they can go through that year after year. And lastly, there were homeless people. Much respect to those guys... not sure how you do that up there.

Reactions: jameslee32
Shotes:

- FINALLY. Should be perfect for opening weekend at the track, too. It's as if the weather knew.

- For those with families and close to Lexington, highly recommend Sunrise Trackside. Tons of activities and up close, personal contact and photo ops with the horses and jockeys at the railing. Also includes Breakfast With the Works; is there a more GYERO name than that? Saw 80 and B$ there last year, all seemed to enjoy.

- Didn't graduate from there or even in the class, but tagging along with a bunch of friends I had in Lafayette's '99 class for their "reunion" at a home football game tonight. Can't even remember the last time I sat under some Friday night lights. Everyone heading to Blue Stallion (partly owned by three Lafayette graduates) after for some solid brews. Looking forward to it.

- Love any kind of sports-adjacent documentaries, and ESPN's True South is just on point. Last episode I watched was about the mostly unknown, forgotten Italian, and more specifically Sicilian, heritage of New Orleans. As a history buff, was fascinating stuff. Count me as one who didn't know about any of it and was surprised, even having been there (albeit one time for Bourbon street and another for a short 2-3 day business trip).

- I lift weights and try to do more weight or more reps than I did the last time. Works pretty well, tbh.

- Went to a White Album tribute concert with my pops last weekend at Centre's Norton. It wasn't a secret. Featured Christopher Cross, Jason Scheff (Chicago), Mickey Dolenz (Monkees), Joey Molland (Badfinger), and Todd Rundgren (Nazz). Pretty much whole album was covered along with each musician doing two of their "own" songs. Fantastic show. And with that I completely solidified my status as a middle-aged dad who is not cool anymore in any way whatsoever. I'm okay with it.

- Doubt I'll go, but I guess it's pretty cool that the first concert at Kroger is at least headlined by a Kentucky native.

- Cade Cunningham wants to be the number one pick and get a max contract. Of 22 max contracts signed so far, 7 have been Cal's players. Is a discussion even necessary? Sign the dotted line, fella'.

- Expecting big things from IQ this year.

- Honestly getting really tired of hearing "so Kentucky football" about this season. In-game frustration is one thing, but when cooler heads prevail, we lost our QB1 and pretty much our biggest leader. Yes, other systems are failing, but it starts and ends with him, and without him on the field, this team is lost. They're down to the 4th string QB who they don't even trust enough to not move over their best slot guy. I GET it. Just make a bowl and get to next season.

- We saw Bargatze's show at Comedy Off Broadway a couple of months back. Dude is fantastic at being funny without trying too hard to be "extreme" like so many comedians these days. It's not lame, "clean" humor, it's just more original and clever than a lot of other stuff you hear anymore.

- Tried to watch Burr's latest, and it got old kind of fast. Always have liked that guy in the past, but something just wasn't there for me with this one.

- It's way out from now, but lass and I's ten-year anniversary coming up next summer, and we already are champing at the bit to travel somewhere. We always thought we would go back to where we honeymooned, St. Lucia. We stayed at Ladera, with an open back wall to the beach and pitons in the background. Incredible views. Now we are tossing around the idea of trying something else, but still may go back. Suggestions welcome.

- Had banana ketchup for the first time in St. Lucia. Sounds odd, but if you ever come across it, throw it on some fries. Amazing stuff.

- This is the NCAA's one chance to actually get something right. If they don't get a handle on this, the major schools will just break away and start their own tournament, sign their own billion dollar TV contracts, etc. Smaller, lesser schools and conferences will be left behind, and "college sports" essentially will no longer exist. Throw in the fact that, at least in basketball, you'll have a three-way $$$ battle between big time boosters, overseas teams, and going straight to the league, and this whole thing will become so fragmented it bottles the mind. They'll still mess it up somehow, though.

Last edited:
* Today, my slate is full of basketball related jobs...

UK LED Boards.
UC LEDS, scorer's table and program ad.
XU signage and program ad.
Michigan State program ad.
Ohio State LED boards.
U Washington LED and program ads.
Cleveland Cavs plays of the game video board feature.
Tennessee court side signage.
Memphis Tigers LED.

Gets me excited for the season.

* Might swing down for the Arky game just for a chance to see wcc's wife. Depends on how long soccer & cheering lasts that day. Will definitely be down for the game vs the Vols. Maybe UL.

* Craving meatloaf. Might have to make one this evening. No telling if the kids like it this week or not.

* Listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage today. I dig it.

* I love this crisp fall weather. Get out there and enjoy it, GYERO. Remember, don't tell them where you got it.

False... everyone that’s been to a game knows the only thing allowed on the LED boards are volleyball and soccer schedules.

We are keeping it simple at UK. Instead of the RAV4 and Corolla ads I am putting everywhere else we are just going with Toyota logos and buyatoyota.com. Keeping it classy for the high vis king of basketball.

Reactions: ukalum01
This is the second annual Don’t Sleep On That Guy campaign, and the votes are in. At the team’s media day Tuesday, The Athletic polled all 10 scholarship players on two simple questions: Which Wildcat most consistently dazzled this summer in pickup games, workouts and practices? And who among the four returning players looks poised for a breakthrough?

In a bit of an upset, Brooks tied fellow freshman Tyrese Maxey, a top-10 recruit who arrived with significantly more hype, in voting on the question of summer sensation. Another rookie, Kahlil Whitney, was right on their heels, and one surprise vote went to junior Nick Richards.

“One thing that wowed me this summer is Keion’s bounce. He can jump out of the gym. I didn’t think he could jump like that,” sophomore EJ Montgomery said, widening his eyes. Most fans probably don’t realize what a high flier Brooks is either. “But they’re going to see,” Montgomery added.

Keion’s head is always over the rim,” sophomore Immanuel Quickley said. “Some of the dunks him and Kahlil do, we’ll just be standing around for a couple seconds like, What did he just do?”

Speaking of Memphis basketball. They where bad as hell in the 80's.

William Bedford
Keith Lee (what a jheri icurl)
Vincent Askew
Andre Turner
Baskerville Holmes - who has to make the all name team. Too bad he murdered his girlfriend. But the coolest thing was EVERY player on the 84-85 team was in fact, from Memphis. Not very many colleges could field a team from just their city and be as potent as that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT