ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new gig is going to be as an NBA agent but I’m going to secretly downplay all of the UK draft prospects.

The MaxPowerrr board currently has Keldon Johnson at #25 and Tyler Herro as the 76th best rated prospect.
Like those sources Roy Williams routinely talks to when advising his guys.

Reactions: Col. Angus
At this point it’s best to just assume every single recruit will be a one and done whether they should be or not. Holding out hope is futile and just ignites redass when they inevitably leave. Best for my mental state to just be pleasantly surprised when someone returns.

At this point it’s best to just assume every single recruit will be a one and done whether they should be or not. Holding out hope is futile and just ignites redass when they inevitably leave. Best for my mental state to just be pleasantly surprised when someone returns.
Exactly. Like the old Jerry Seinfeld joke went, we're basically cheering for laundry. Whoever is wearing said laundry from November to April is who I'm cheering for, I guess.

Okay guys, that's enough. [eyeroll][sick]

Yeah it sucks, but that's what happens in 2019 when you recruit very good players, and that's why we're in contention every damn year. No need for everyone to get their snark in on 2 touching lock 1st Rounders leaving.

Meh. When you're suddenly (5 years running suddenly) losing in March every year before the Final Four with the highest paid coach in America, doubting and not accepting the approach as "what happens in 2019" is perfectly reasonable. I mean the largest UK sports media outfit (KSR) was born out of very similar circumstances and the debate surrounding Orlando "Tubby" Smith.

We could start doing so plainspokenly if that would make you more comfortable, little guy. Let us know.

I criticize Cal as much as anyone, and previously laid how the #KentuckyEffect can be annoying, especially as it relates to Herro -- but, I'm not sure how it's his fault when the players he recruits get 1st Round grades. NOBODY thought Herro was going to be a 1st Rounder preseason, but he played himself into that position. WTF can you do about that - would love to hear your suggestions.

I think both would benefit from an extra year, but I'll never fault a kid/coach for taking the guaranteed contract that comes w/ a 1st Round selection. That's just stupid.

And this isn't just a Kentucky thing anymore -- far from it, actually. Take a look around.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
I get guys going who are first round; what I get pissed about is Cal not being more persuasive on dudes like Gabriel, Briscoe and Vanderbilt who are at best 2nd round picks.

I wonder wtf some of these guys are thinking. And then again just two nights ago I sat in amazement and watched Grayson Allen go for 40 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists in a NBA game. So clearly I have no f*cking clue who is and isn’t NBA material.

It's a different era and unless CBB allows them to start earning money in some fashion I don't see it changing. Been saying it for years but these guys are all chasing a dream and have a really small window to make it. At the same time college limits your ability to make money, practice, receive training and requires attending class, etc. UK, like everything, was a little early in the process with guys like Teague, Lamb, Briscoe, Gabriel but it's widespread at this point.

It's a different era and unless CBB allows them to start earning money in some fashion I don't see it changing. Been saying it for years but these guys are all chasing a dream and have a really small window to make it. At the same time college limits your ability to make money, practice, receive training and requires attending class, etc. UK, like everything, was a little early in the process with guys like Teague, Lamb, Briscoe, Gabriel but it's widespread at this point.

Counterpoint - Degrees and maturity are still worth something.

Shaquille O'Neal averaged 28, 15, and 5 as a sophomore, and came back for another year. Now you have womens players declaring early for that WNBA check, even letting players make money may not change things much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT