ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever considered the B-1 bomber a stealth bomber is FOS. Thought a dang tornado was coming at me when they had the flyover for the Reds game.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Anth did about as good of a job on that Everest take as he did the Jordan Spieth and lack of talent take. The problem with Everest, and what I'm assuming/hoping Anth was trying to say, is that it was made to appear to be a lot easier than it really is in order to make more money of the narcissistic type.

- I've seen my wife for less than an hour over the last 2 weeks (and that was at some diner in Bonnieville bleeping Kentucky). A few days to a week? Whatever. 2 1/2-3 weeks? Touch that. Gimme back my hen.

- Love what the Reds have done all year with starting rookie pitchers. Would've loved it even more if they had done the same with some of the outfield positions. Don't go half-way.

- Haven't watched more than a few snaps of NFL this year and haven't given it much thought. Pumped about NBA League Pass though.

- Thought our LBs would be garbage and am amazed they've held up this long at this level. Giving up 40+ per the last half of the season is still stuck in the back of my mind.

Last edited:
Whoever considered the B-1 bomber a stealth bomber is FOS. Thought a dang tornado was coming at me when they had the flyover for the Reds game.

B2 = stealth, though B1 is faster and can hold more weight.

They had a B2 flyover at the UK-Arkansas game in Fayetteville in 2007, as they're stationed at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. It's was no CMM pregame concert, but still a pretty impressive start to a football game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stonewall12
B2 = stealth, though B1 is faster and can hold more weight.

They had a B2 flyover at the UK-Arkansas game in Fayetteville in 2007, as they're stationed at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. It's was no CMM pregame concert, but still a pretty impressive start to a football game.
That was pretty awesome. Had never seen one before and havent since that day. That tailgate and game was solid... Driving to Fayetteville was not. Also got a ticket for doing 6 mph over in the middle of nowhere Arkansas the morning after the game. SIX.

no research needed, but this is 100% false.

everest isn't that hard. lol. maybe if your uncle jack off has 4% body fat. oh wait, he does.
Never said it's not hard. More dangerous than hard. I said it's not that technical. As is you don't have to be a climber to summit. Which is absolutely true. The sherpas do the hard work. The difficulty is in endurance and altitude. But twist my words of you'd like.

Everest is not that hard is maybe one of the more hilarious takes I've read on here. I'm guessing that one follows Anth around for awhile.
Where on earth did I say it's not that hard? Please show me where I said that. I believe I said it's insane, actually. It's Mount ****ing Everest. It's not an overly technical climb like K2 or some of the others but it's still 29k feet. The difficulty is being at that altitude for so long.

Meh, those sherpas drag slubs up that thing every year. Everest is insane but technically it's not that bad. That sucker is all altitude. I've talked about doing Aconcagua or another one thats harder but not deadly. It's not like you have to be an elite athlete or something. Really just 3-4 training climbs, the ability to take 3-4 months off and a shit ton of money most importantly.
Just for the record.

Lol at Anths....."I'm probably not going to do Everest" quote.

Similar ridiculous gyero statements that didn't need to be said

Chief: I'm probably not going to sleep with Jennifer anniston

PTI: i think someday i might be a fagg@t long distance runner

Sloot: I'll probably marry a redneck ed hardy douche someday

BBDK: I probably won't finish top 5 in gyero Olympics

Willy: I probably won't lose 50 pounds this year

SAE: my butthole is bigger than that secret hole in my backyard

Bonzo: I probably stick needles in my ass

Krazykats: I might be retarded

No shit Anth, thanks for sharing.:rolleyes:

I know I'm right. I've read as much or more than anyone but maybe pdre on everest. I'm really intrigued by it. It's crazy as shit. But if you look at a sample training plan its similar or less than a standard marathon training plan. They're all over the Internet. The unknown way your body reacts to altitude and mental toughness is what it's about. You would need 3-4 training courses on crampons and rope training to be accepted by most reputable companies that have low accident rates.

There’s not much in the way of technical climbing on Everest on either of the trade routes. There’s a little bit of low class-5 scrambling kind of climbing up high on the ridge. You’re on a rope and you’re using crampons and an ice ax, but there’s not much, particularly not by standard climbing criteria. It’s very accessible to people without a high level of technical climbing ability

^So how much experience do you have with an ice axe? Crampons? Have you done self-arresting before?

Yeah, Everest isn't nearly as difficult a technical climb as K-2 (or many others), but the Lhotse Face is still pretty damn steep, and the Khumbu ice fall is no joke.

Oh, and then there's the south col to the balcony, and the southeast ridge to the summit. Better not have vertigo or a fear of heights.

<-------armchair mountaineer

http://www.alanarnette.com/everest/everestsouthroutes.php

That's what the 3-4 training courses are for specifically. As I mentioned in the first post. If you're knowledgeably you know the general sentiment by actual mountain climbers towards Everest and that most death's are weather or avalanche related not climbing. Actual climbers are not what is being led up that mountain in droves. They're not what's overcrowding it.

The group I would pick suggests Aconcagua or Denali but it's not required. If you took a 3+ of their Ranier trainer courses and had the money even a responsible group like them would take you.

Most of you have read Into Thin Air, he goes into all this pretty extensively. Countless other sources out there.

So like I said, for most people training for it and having the technical ability isn't the problem. The problem is how you react to high altitude and really more about you having the money and balls. Plenty of rich dudes are buying their way to the top with little climbing experience and a team of sherpas.

You can't train for a year and just decide to go climb K2

Last edited:
I hate to agree with Anthony but there is a guy that is a climber that posts on the national board(Bama fan) that was in base camp when the most recent avalanche hit. He essentially said the same things. He has summitted 6 of the 7 peaks and this was his 2nd crack at Everest. He is hoping to get a third.

I get what you're saying - but I still think you're underestimating the difficulty of the Everest climb. Plus it's fun to give you a hard time about it all. Sure, there are fixed ropes and ladders through the ice fall, and fixed ropes up the Lhotse face...but the icefall is still crazy treacherous and the Lhotse face is still ridiculously long and steep. Wearing all that cold-weather gear and digging your crampons into ice with each step is just soo much harder than wearing hiking boots and going up a trail, altitude or not.

I used to do a lot of hiking in California, and I did a little bit of winter climbing in some of the mountains. It's really freakin hard. I have a friend who has tried to to Mt Rainier (failed), Mt Hood (failed), and Kilimanjaro (didn't quite make it due to altitude sickness).

Denali can be brutal in terms of weather - both in terms of the incredible cold and the duration of some of the storms. Climbers often have to stay in place for over a week at a time there to wait out a storm.

A couple of my former co-workers (and former hiking buddies back when I did that) talked a lot about doing Aconcagua, but they never did. That's one that is probably more like Kilimanjaro in that it's mostly a walk-up, albeit a really long, high walk-up. They've done Mt Whitney multiple times. The main route is a walk-up in the summer, but in the winter the mountaineering route is technically challenging.

My sister in Louisville has a coworker at Humana who has done Whitney in the winter and tried to do Rainier. Didn't make it. He may have tried again more recently - I'm not sure.

I watch mountaineering documentaries all the time. Love 'em. Watch them on Netflix at my girlfriend's house. She doesn't get my fascination with them at all. I wish I had the health to do those, but then again it's probably better that I don't!

I hate to agree with Anthony but there is a guy that is a climber that posts on the national board(Bama fan) that was in base camp when the most recent avalanche hit. He essentially said the same things. He has summitted 6 of the 7 peaks and this was his 2nd crack at Everest. He is hoping to get a third.

If he has summitted 6 of the 7 peaks, then he is not just your average Joe weekend warrior mountain climber. He's fairly experienced. Maybe not at the level of the best in the world, but far moreso than the average hiker.

Its really not that hard to wax Kate Upton. Just really a matter of time, money, basic social skills. Totally selfish Imo.

Reactions: Mashburned
the next GYERO fads could make one heck of a poster. A mountain climbing, barefoot running, coconut water drinking wildcat friend with 15 reward credit cards riding a yeti cooler on wheels to Fernandos newest establishment.

I'm waiting for a person to make it to the top of Everest wearing those toe-shoes, drinking coconut water, hauling a Yeti cooler, and flying there with rewards points.

Actually that reminds me of a story. I worked for Motorola about 10 years ago. They paid/sponsored some guy to climb Everest, and then to make the first cell phone call from the peak. They were going to use it for marketing/advertising, of course. The guy makes it to the top, then tries to make the cell phone call. But he can't push the buttons with his big gloves on. So he takes them off. But he also can't see the phone well enough with his goggles on, so he takes them off too. Now he can dial the call. It doesn't go through. And in those couple of minutes without his gloves and goggles, he gets frostbite on his fingertips and snow blindness. He barely makes it down. Motorola, ladies and gentlemen! :cool2:

Plan to hit up a Teton peak soon as my first real mountain

- “It eats at me so much. I hate it. I still think about it almost every day.” :boxing: ornery

Last edited:
Looking forward to anth's eventual climbing of Everest and subsequent GYERO post from the summit.

Take a hike, Jacob

i was actually surprised to read that blurb transycat posted. two extremely skilled veteran climbers saying that everest isn't particularly technical. while this may seem to be a coup for anth, it's opinion coming from two extremely skilled veteran climbers.

put it this way -- that's like anth waffling back and forth on whether or not to carve up the seahawks defense in the super bowl, then laying down a few lines from the post game interview with tom brady about how he actually did it.

Reactions: drxman1
-It's not like that at all. PTI and MCF are in the physical condition TODAY to climb the mountain. You guys are twisting what I'm saying. You don't even have to be a good climber with experience. You have to be rich and crazy. Seahawks would be like me running up El Capitan on a free climb or K2 w/out oxygen.

-Unlike a Yeti and toe shoes, that will never happen. I'd be down for checking out base camp, as thats a pretty popular trekking tour, but as for the big hill it's just too dangerous and crazy for me. Like I said some of the other 20+ mountains that are safe I'd consider.

-Seviche last night. Mercy. Diet is in shambles. Guess it's beginning of the way back up. Churacos is just ridiculous.

Weekend shaping up to be an all time clunker. Damned hurricane.

Saw a video of Hawkins on Twitter. Kid is always so happy and polite. Heard he had a pretty tough time of it growing up. Love that we have him on the team. He won't make nine figures like Davis or Wall, but the doors a college education and the experience of being a Kentucky basketball player will open for him are life changing.

8 weeks to Thanksgiving. 12 weeks to Christmas Eve.

No interest in climbing Everest. Whole experience sounds miserable.

This is the face of an animal that has no interest in chasing any f'n thing.

CQMwljTUsAAvEWE.jpg

I don't watch many traditional sitcoms, but I do have Goldbergs & Blackish in the rotation. Goldbergs is like a goofier Wonder Years for my generation.

Thursday Randoms:

- Seems like yesterday I was walking through the streets of Indy like a zombie...and here we are getting ready for a new season with a brand new team that has a great chance to win it all again. Reading the long Calipari interview and I AM HYPE.

- There are so many things I'm pumped about with this squad- it being Ulis's team; Skal's development a la Davis, Cousins, Noel and Towns before him; Murray potential superstar; etc. BUT nothing has me more intrigued than Alex Poythress: College 4-Man. Just thinking about the plays he made down the stretch during that 2014 NCAA run- MAN plays- and how great he looked during the Bahamas, I just can't wait to see him at his natural position.

- So, Cal pretty much sees Humphries as a bigger, more talented Harrellson. I'll take that.

- Interesting takes on Mulder/Matthews, too. Mulder is a shooter and great athlete, but not a ballhandler. Matthews is an athletic finisher and defender, but lacks Mulder's stroke at this point.

- If Ulis can go next June, more power to him, but dammit, I would love to have him as a junior. Like BBdK has said, there are few steadier hands we've seen at UK. I get the feeling our confidence in him is akin to the way UK fans felt about Macy in the late 70s.

- Onto non-UKBB things...so watched the Entourage movie, which was basically a 2-hour long episode. Fine. Wasn't expecting anything else. The blonde E was nailing is o_O. After a quick Goog, she's David Lee's babe. Vinnie Chase is actually in Cincy as we speak filming a movie with Bruce Willis. They filmed in my building this week.

- I have never in my life been more shocked than when I found out Kiko Alonso is white. Still can't believe it. Must be a stage name.

- Gee, another year of Sports Media Guy working himself into a tizzy wondering if Underclassman Stud CFB Player should sit out his junior year and just work out so as not to risk injury or hurt his stock. And they always miss the biggest reason this is a dumbass idea...BECAUSE these players LOVE football. They love to play the games every Saturday. That's why they shouldn't and wouldn't just spend a year working out and NOT playing football.

- Onto non-UKBB things...so watched the Entourage movie, which was basically a 2-hour long episode. Fine. Wasn't expecting anything else. The blonde E was nailing is o_O. After a quick Goog, she's David Lee's babe. Vinnie Chase is actually in Cincy as we speak filming a movie with Bruce Willis. They filmed in my building this week.

- Gee, another year of Sports Media Guy working himself into a tizzy wondering if Underclassman Stud CFB Player should sit out his junior year and just work out so as not to risk injury or hurt his stock. And they always miss the biggest reason this is a dumbass idea...BECAUSE these players LOVE football. They love to play the games every Saturday. That's why they shouldn't and wouldn't just spend a year working out and NOT playing football.

-Entourage was pretty awful. In line with what they went to in the later part of the series it was just cameos. At least Vince wasn't crying over Mandy Moore and they showed some hot naked chicks.

-RBs are drafted later now and teams are focusing on guys that didn't run get a ton of carries/abuse in college. I know he won't sit out but, it's not like this is a crazy idea. Only takes 1 play to cost him tens of millions. See Lattimore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT