ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about being on the sexual offender list is that you have to alert all of your neighbors. Hopefully if your name is on the "WOC" the print is so small nobody will actually read it.

I just continue to be confused about Mark Stoops. He *seems* like a great hire. Got off to a good start with fans (he's much more personable/outgoing than our last two coaches, imo), recruits like crazy, has brought in some good assistants, we've significantly upgraded our facilities...

....say what you want NOW, but at the time, Stoops was an A. It just blows my mind that he's been so bad.

He never has seemed like a great hire unless you drank the kool-aid or are completely clueless.

~Good start w/ the fans: and this means what when the ball is kicked on Saturday? So he's personable...ok.

~Recruits like crazy: talent is upgraded, but to what extent? Still sucking hind tit for the most part in the SEC and if you don't think there are recruiting shenanigans going on here, then see clueless quote above.

~Brought in some good assistants: well, the two most important, OC and DC....OC first 3 years and 1 game has proven to be a comedy of errors. And we all know the DC has been a disaster. Oh and lets throw in the special teams coaches from prior years...or lack of one. That has worked well too. You must be referring to Rock Oliver or something. *see clueless quote above.

~Upgraded the facilities: lipstick/pig....*see clueless quote above.

In other words, if you thought Stoops was a A, then you are completely clueless. He has been terrible because he is way over his head and out of his league as HC.

Go find a mountain to run up because you are out of your league w/ this subject.

Reactions: Stonewall12
Damnit man have you not listened to a word Mitch and Mark have said. We big time SEC. We have the facilities now, the energy, the commitment. Basically everything we do now is big time SEC and we are committed to excellence in a big time SEC way. Holy shit get your season tickets now because we big time SEC.

Damnit man have you not listened to a word Mitch and Mark have said. We big time SEC. We have the facilities now, the energy, the commitment. Basically everything we do now is big time SEC and we are committed to excellence in a big time SEC way. Holy shit get your season tickets now because we big time SEC.

Saw this exact post on Facebook last week after the facilities tour. No names.

-Meh, these contracts are equally as bad across the country. Weiss is still getting paid by ND and Kansas I believe.

-My frustration lies squarely on Stoops. This is coaching. Allow your team to get a big lead and squander it(twice), not being able to win a game the 2 part of the season, almost getting beat by Eastern and Louisiana Lafayette, in year 4 having a worse defense than you inherited from Joker. It's coaching, man.

-Hung out with the in-laws and their crazy band of young boys yesterday. Had a blast but I have no idea how a few of you all do it with several kids.

-NOLA bachelor party coming up. :smiley:

-GAMBOL was not kind this weekend.

-In the office today, not sure whether to be super productive and get all my work done or play on the intrawebs because it's really slow.

Reactions: Touch_Em_All
We do have the facilities... now. I'd have a hard time believing there are many that much better. Especially at the level we're trying to obtain. Of course the big dudes will be passing us shortly but the place is unreal. Really there's just one aspect that has forgot to contribute.

Can Rich pull a Bill Snyder? I think he can.

:rolleyes: @ anyone trying to put this on UK fans. The most abused fan base in the nation. TS.

Reactions: JustinSphere
Nah, he would have gotten a 4th year as he should. Hard enough to recruit a decent coach here but if we started canning guys after their 3rd season with what he inherited? Besides you can't compare the two. Too many factors.

The offensive and defensive lines are a joke so I can't honestly say I agree that's he's recruiting like crazy.

Football is won and lost in the trenches and a CUSA team effing boat raced us there. *Recruit* some beasts on the line, coach. Address some GD needs.

I mean, I guess it's cool we have 6-7 smooth ass receivers with cute nicknames that pass the look test but it means didly poo when you're getting blown off the LOS.

How does this compare to basketball?

Not to defend Stoops but I think head coaching takes him away from what he does best. As a DC he is more hands on with the defense and seems to be a great teacher of technique and strategy. I think his choices for OC/DC have been subpar and that falls back on him, but your only as good as the people you put around you.

I think it's truly amazing to go into half down 35-17 and proceed to run the ball 30 times to get back in the ball game. It may be hard to plan for that on our side coming out of the half, but there is no reason at all that we didn't go bigger on the dline the way they were manhandled.

Mental toughness is lacking.

You can see it in the players. The problem is they don't bring it every play because they lack discipline and mental toughness.

Hell the first half couldn't have been executed better and then a 20 minute break and they forgot everything they knew!

You think JD Harmon wasn't taught how to defend like that on those picks? Or Love/Jones just happen to be in the right place the whole first half? I forget the DE's name that was destroying the tackle every other play in the first half.

The teaching is there, the lack of mental toughness is a serious issue.

Yeah, JD Harmon made two really athletic plays. That's not coaching. Wasn't also Harmon that got dusted on that last TD pass because he was way out of position? I think so. I don't think the staff is good at coaching guys up. At least I can't think of an example.

The chaince show ystdy was great talk radio. Reasonable fans calling in articulating their flaming redass, Meisterbuerger getting equally as irritated and Larry Chaince Vaught even made some valid points.

The controller, Curtis, even dropping some smarmy dimes along the way. It was like GYERO commentary live on the air.

I don't think the staff is good at coaching guys up.

We have, for four years, lost the second half in almost every single game.

That is coaching distilled to its essence. The other guy gets to see what you have and then comes out and beats you, no matter the talent difference. Every. Single. Time.

PTI was absolutely correct in his assessment of Stoops. On paper, it should work but it doesn't. Maybe the guy needs more experience and got in over his head. Maybe, in Tubby-style, he's made bad choices with assistants and is too loyal to clean house. Maybe what he really needed was to go coach Appalachian State or Louisiana Tech for a few years and get his ass handed to him until he learned how to run a tight ship. Maybe Topbutton makes him spend too much time gladhanding orphans and widows.

I don't know.

In a weird way, I like Stoops and think he will be a good coach. But for right now, in this job: Nope.

My mood has gone from anger to sadness. I would love for Brooks to return, but since it won't happen, we should follow the Brooks blueprint and hire an old guy the next go around. We have the facilities and we have some talent. We just need someone who knows what they're doing.

I nominate Cutcliffe. If he can produce a 10 win season at Duke then he can provide 7-8 a year here. Regardless who it is, old is the way to go!

He's only 61. I bet we could entice him. Even if not, there's plenty of potential Rich Brooks types out there. How old is Mack Brown? Does Tom Coughlin still have a pulse?

Just checked, Brown is 65 and Coughlin is 70. They still have some years left. We gotta act fast though before dementia sets in.

You're right. He's recently turned down Michigan and Tennessee but I can see him being intrigued by the poltergeist tendencies UK has to offer. I hear he loves cold water pools and retina scanners.

I see a lot of guys on this team that believe their hype, but are out of touch. We had guys on defense preening and posturing and woofing after making tackles 7 yards down field on a basic off-tackle run play on 1st down Saturday night. What is that? You're getting demolished up front, you're letting the momentum swing the other way, you know what the outcome is going to be unless you get a stop, and you think it's a good time to hop up and pound your chest?

Stoops has had to kiss the asses of some of these 4-star teenagers just to get them on campus. I get it. Whatever. We have to do what we have to do. But it creates a systematic problem of no accountability. That's why you see so many of them pout and prance around and play like they're too good to have to overcome adversity. On the other hand, any other big time program could just bury them on the bench/in street clothes and move on - next man up, if you will. UK football has never afforded this luxury.

That creates an atmosphere of individuals. Whoever said this team has no identity is correct. There is no cohesiveness. There's just a bunch of guys out there that know the team sucks . . . but it's not THEIR fault the team sucks. Bad medicine.

I'm not sure who can fix it or how. Bring in an old-school disciplinarian and these prima-donna skill players would get their comeuppance, but then they'd probably transfer out and you lose top flight talent. It's a catch-22 for Stoops and I don't think he knows how to balance that problem. It shows because his team's have never, ever handled adversity (save the We're just getting started, bro! Special). And his team's have never bought into being a part of a "team."

Personally I think for a program like UK to be successful in football, there has to be a perfect storm of developing overlooked 3-star talent, team identity/gimmick, landing a few troubled 4-star/Last Chaince U type of guys that buy in, and then nab the top 1-2 players in the state. Maybe it all comes together once every 5-7 years and enjoy the ride. At this rate though, UKFB is headed into a cycle of apathy, which is what it has always been, I guess so here we are again.

Hey, I'm just holding out hope at this point. Any old guy with previous HC experience will do. Is Howard still alive? What's Lloyd Carr up to these days?

The actual interception yes they were amazing plays, but in both situations he was in perfect position vs the route the WR ran. I don't know who got burnt before halftime, but it wasn't just a DB since we had two safeties out there that the WR got past too.

It's easy to pick bad moments apart, but throughout his time Stoops defense has stepped up a lot of times last year vs UF and Auburn were both solid showings. The guy can teach he just can't manage the game.

Hank, I might suck at posting and typing the English language, but if you didn't see a lack of mental toughness to fight through the momentum swing from players and coaches then I don't know what to tell you. But make no mistake I'm saying the coaches lack mental toughness too.

Basically when the momentum swings you dial up some plays to keep the offense on the field long enough to coach the defense. That didn't happen and then our defense got worn down. Our coaches didn't dial up the right play calls and the players quickly started playing like they had no confidence in the coaches. It was a complete all systems failure.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Stoops ripped his defense at half time for that TD, and they being the young cocky players they are tuned him out knowing better than the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT