ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
14222263_1310922862251689_3578227239618053752_n.jpg

I just continue to be confused about Mark Stoops. He *seems* like a great hire. Got off to a good start with fans (he's much more personable/outgoing than our last two coaches, imo), recruits like crazy, has brought in some good assistants, we've significantly upgraded our facilities...

....say what you want NOW, but at the time, Stoops was an A. It just blows my mind that he's been so bad.

Stoops has done everything reasonably well/exceeded expectations except in one area: actually coaching.

I guess this is his first time being a head coach at a major division 1 program, so it was a calculated risk and gamble to hire him, but I don't think anyone really blames Mitch for doing it. Seemed like a great decision at the time. What is bewildering, however, was the completely unnecessary buyout clause and renewing of his contract after what I believe was his first year. THAT was mind numblingly dumb and Mitch deserves all kinds of shit for that one.

It's fair to criticize Mitch for that buyout, and it's indeed terrible, but nearly every major conference and big school coach in the country has one that's similar. It's disgusting, but that's the norm these days.

It's fair to criticize Mitch for that buyout, and it's indeed terrible, but nearly every major conference and big school coach in the country has one that's similar. It's disgusting, but that's the norm these days.

Point being: Mitch's negotiating was awful, but good luck finding an AD who would have done things differently. Coaches and agents have ALL the power these days.

Meh he got spooked that a Big 10 team would swipe Stoops and like always coaches have all the leverage. "We can't recruit without a long term deal." We've been over this. You can't have it both ways. He's going to get paid when he leaves. TS. I'm not taking up for MB, because right now I'm pissed at everyone over there, but I'm just saying. Look at some of these other coaches, they're all bending schools over.

Stoops really rubbed me the wrong way when he came out last year and suggested he didn't have to answer for that shitstain second half of the season. Then pointed out that we've historically been awful, like he was doing us a favor being here or is above this somehow. I just don't think they're very good coaches. We escaped twice last year in similar scenarios as last night.

We'll see what he can do without the fans the rest of the season. TSK is right, one of the worst I can remember considering the circumstances. And like I said before the game one that he had to have. No confidence he can turn it around at this point because he's proven time and again he can't make adjustments. Worst case scenario for MB is Stoops getting 3-4 wins. He'll be a lame duck next season and we'll hemorrhage talent. He brings him back then MB's neck is on the line. Stoops has 6 winnable games left. No way he goes 100%.

There's so many working parts to being a good head football coach. Stoops has done a lot right with recruiting and outreach to fans but his game management, his management of assistant coaches and players is severely lacking. Brooks wasn't as good as Stoops in recruiting but he was so much better balanced at knowing how to run a program. I've given up hope that we can ever attract and/or keep anyone for any amount of time that could ever do anything significant here unless you go the damaged goods route of a Tressel or Briles (and I'm not comfortable with Briles).

Well said, 735..

Top of my head, Ohio U is up there, but they whipped us all night.

But that last night, was just an epic collapse and failure.

The announcers in the first half as UK was rolling saying from the way things were looking the game in Gainesville was going to be real good almost had me for a second then I came to my senses. Then UK did UK things confirming them. It reminded me of last year when the announcers were touting Harry Potter as best QB in the SEC.

[sick]

Reactions: JustinSphere
The good news, in this era of win now, is that if/when Stoops goes there will be some big names available. Most likely.

Only positive was the WCTGE. TS. Hell of a time. Spread was amazing. New upgrades a hit. Friday night dinner with the peeps was great. Drinks flowing. 80's jamb was unreal. Playlist rocking. Bonzo bouncing. Weather was perfect average late summer style. Chad wasn't there. Really great carefree booze time. Even Willy's sausage with oatmeal balls were really good.

Marcus do a full heel turn and hire Briles as HC, and Pelini as DC.
Les. That's my dream.

Also, the program isn't going bankrupt. It's making money hand over fist. MB is a nightmare at PR and Marketing. Marginal at hiring coaches and negotiating contracts. Terrible at wearing polos and even worse at goofy pictures. BUT the ADept is going to always be in the black. Especially with SEC money.

The problem that Kentucky fans just don't understand is that EVERYONE has money. In college sports these days, that's the *easiest* piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: JustinSphere
I'm not sure it matters who we hire. We're just going to suck for eternity.

I believe we briefly mentioned our concerns with the front seven, but, frankly, I'm tired of trying to convince myself of where we can be..and the reality of where we'll always be.

Stoops once had only 7 men on the field during a play while coaching a Southeastern Conference football program.

The fact that he wasn't fired the next day says all you need to hear about this rinky dink disaster of a program.

Seven players out of eleven. What the f***.

Can you even imagine Saban not having 11 guys on the field for a play? I'd actually believe a news story that Saban times the officials' reactions so he has 12 players for parts of each play or some other jedi mind trick.

Good Lord.

But I hope Jennifer Palumbo enjoys her hut.

Last edited:
Tom Jurich or Jeremy Foley or any other athletic director with any set of testicles at all would have said: "I'm firing you for cause because you couldn't even get eleven f***ing guys on the field like every other slapdick high school and Pop Warner coach in the land. If you want your buyout, lawyer up. I'll see you at the deposition.

Just a refresher, here's how you count to eleven: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11.

Eleven. I can get that f***ing muppet from Sesame Street to teach it to you if you need."

Tom Jurich or Jeremy Foley or any other athletic director with any set of testicles at all would have said: "I'm firing you for cause because you couldn't even get eleven f***ing guys on the field like every other slapdick high school and Pop Warner coach in the land. If you want your buyout, lawyer up. I'll see you at the deposition.

Just a refresher, here's how you count to eleven: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11.

Eleven. I can get that f***ing muppet from Sesame Street to teach it to you if you need."

My 4 year old grand daughter can count to 50, if that means anything. I am also sure she would have called a TO in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT