ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

I used to be a “no ignore” advocate. Just always wanted to see “what they’d say next.”

Congrats, Butthole Cole. My life will be infinitely better not having to read your clueless drivel.

Reactions: Touch_Em_All
UKO, I think you missed your cult leader’s last rally or just mixed them up, again . It’s understandable, he was holding you by your ears the whole time. Which also explains your complete lack of knowledge on music or pretty much anything else.

Lass and daughter are sick, again. I haven’t had a cold, flu or Covid in over 10 years and these two are sick all the time. Just doesn’t make any sense at all since I’m immune compromised.

Going to spend a nice evening on the boat catching catfish and enjoying the stars.

- My depth perception (or lack of it) is on full display whenever I go to a baseball game. Any fly ball hit to the outfield, I'm thinking it's gone. Nope....routine catch. When I'm watching on TV, a ball that appears to be a routine fly ball hit to straightaway center (or left- or right-center) ends up going out. I just can't read a ball coming off the bat, which is why I was anchored at 1B my entire baseball "career". Also, fat.

- Rax's oldest hits the ball with a vengeance. Just pure hatred for it. Still a few weeks to move up to Woodford and get him enrolled as a Yellowjacket, bubs.

- Went with Booker's burger recommendation at Carson's last night. Just a sloppy mess. Never again.

- Here's my annual reminder that it's beyond stupid to require that every MLB team gets a representative at the All-Star Game.

- I typically only watch the game for the intros and the fanfare. But seeing Skenes face off with Gunnar, Soto and Judge in the first inning will be *chef's kiss*.

- I'm a pickleballer now, apparently. Won't lie, it was fun. And something to do with the fam. Now I'm following IG accounts, researching paddles, etc. The "full Anth", as it were.

UKO, I think you missed your cult leader’s last rally or just mixed them up, again . It’s understandable, he was holding you by your ears the whole time. Which also explains your complete lack of knowledge on music or pretty much anything else.

Lass and daughter are sick, again. I haven’t had a cold, flu or Covid in over 10 years and these two are sick all the time. Just doesn’t make any sense at all since I’m immune compromised.

Going to spend a nice evening on the boat catching catfish and enjoying the stars.
Which daughter?

(That said, genuinely hope they get better soon.)

Anyone listen to the new Sturgill album?
It’s like Waylon and Jimmy Buffett and Radiohead decided to jam after a dinner party. Alternative country yacht rock. 😛 Not gonna be for everyone — will likely trigger the Morgan Wallen and Luke Bryan bro country scene — but it’s a trip. Fun listen. Musicianship is crazy good. “Who I Am” has already entered my Sturgill Top 5.

* Paul Skenes goes out last night and throws ANOTHER no-hitter for 7, with 11ks. Then he goes home and gives it to Livvy Dunne. Man, I really want to hate this guy, but how can I?

6-0, 1.90 era, 0.92 whip.

* Jayson Stark's Top 5 NL MVP:

1> Shohei = hasn't played the field once this season, and went 27 games without a triple in May. Hard pass.
2> Bryce Harper = Take out his unbelievable May and June, and in April, March, and July he's hitting .220. Loser.
3> Mookie Betts = 27th in MLB in Defensive Win Shares among Shortstops. He's garbage.
4> Marcell Ozuna = barely hitting above the Mendoza line with 2 outs and runners in scoring position in road games decided by less than 2 runs. Worst athlete in sports history.
5> Dominican Ignorance Knows No Bounds.

* Greatest trans athlete of all time?

My money is on Grandmama.

* Per KSR, Tubby Smith was at practice this week. Everyone within the program that worked with that guy just loved him. I think he'd be a huge addition in some sort of ceremonial advisory/fundraising role.

* All day/air day Bronny James. If the media is going to insist on shoving his every move down our throats, at least it will be to constantly remind us how f'ing terrible that kid is.

* “Not on purpose.”

I’m curious. How would one accidentally listen to a self produced/indie alt-country album that receives little or no mainstream airplay?

CSC81, the youngest, she’s 6, but reminding me hourly that she’ll be 7 in 2 weeks. So far she only wants a party with a horse, bouncy house, 7 cakes, 40-50 friends and the present list is 3 pages. By the time it actually arrives all of the above will be times 10 at minimum. She’s going to be a good dictator and a fine catch for a billionaire when she’s older.

Have a 7 myself, bt. She’s my world, but boy howdy, some man is gonna have his hands full one day. 😂

Reactions: btodd0224
Go ahead and take my money.

My gosh, I'm gonna cry. Never have I heard a UK coach talk about banners this often, much less "banner mentality".

Cal had his little stint of "we're chasing UCLA" but that was just one year's bs schtick and it faded quickly.

And what better way to value banners than to have Tubby visit and for Coach Pope to explain the rarity and the value - best program of all-time, 100+ years, yet only 8.

I used to have it out on here with 73 and others, about how much NC banners matter (and the others are nice, but no prize - so don't hang 'em). Hell, that's now 20 years ago.

My heart and soul are at peace knowing that Coach Pope will hang #9 or die trying.

/Pent-up summer post, I guess.

Plz tell me someone saw that interview with reed's parents. You could tell these ppl had no idea what she was saying with that thick ky accent. Felt like I had a split screen with Hoosiers playing, listening to old women talk about hickory basketball. That was cute

Going to be replacing my NBA PG fandom to Bub Carrington soon. I hate the Wizards organization as they suck, but they may have put some pieces together here that could really grow together with Bub as their lead guard.

Per my daughter, who is friends with Malachi Moreno, he was offered an NIL package north of $2M by UK. Said other schools have offered collabs, one being with Lebron. He could be blowing smoke, but he seems like a good kid, and is close with my daughter. Wants to play at Kentucky, but also hearing what others have to offer.

TIFWIW

Last edited:
Per my daughter, who is friends with Malachi Moreno, he was offered an NIL package north of $2M. Said other schools have offered collabs, one being with Lebron. He could be blowing smoke, but he seems like a good kid, and is close with my daughter. Wants to play at Kentucky, but also hearing what others have to offer.

TIFWIW

Other schools may offer more money upfront but financial security down the road comes with knowing that if he comes to UK the Lexington/Georgetown NIL money and job opportunities outweigh what any other school could give him.

Reactions: jayroon
Rookie Carson Spiers has struck out 8 of the first 9 batters so far.

Yikes.
Had never heard of an "Immaculate inning" until White Sox pitcher Michael Kopech had one the other night. 9 pitches, 3 outs, all strike outs. Harder to achieve than a No No, hit for the cycle, and other baseball feats.

How long until Coles dumbass comes along and says "Rece Hinds sucks" ? "It is only 5 days," blah, blah, blah. Dude literally takes the opposite stance on EVERYTHING. WTF is wrong with him ? Every topic, every thread, every forum, he has to be that one asshole.

Plz tell me someone saw that interview with reed's parents. You could tell these ppl had no idea what she was saying with that thick ky accent. Felt like I had a split screen with Hoosiers playing, listening to old women talk about hickory basketball. That was cute
I closed my eyes for a few seconds and Stacey Sheppard sounded like Dolly Parton

Reminded me of when pitino said he spoke to Richie farmer for the first time...

Borrowed from the original KSR

MickintheHam

Fab FiveJoin DateAug 2012LocationOn the South Bank of the Cahaba RiverPosts21,057

We Are Not Uneducated; We are Preserving a Dialect​

This is something every Kentuckian should know.

The Appalachian dialect is an ancient connection to our rich heritage and deserves to be safeguarded and honored. The language we speak is known as Appalachian-English and actually serves as one of the oldest varieties of English spoken in this nation. But why do we speak it and where did this dialect come from?

Like nearly all things related to Appalachia, there is no one clear answer to this question; however, extensive research has been conducted on this very topic for the better part of a century in order to determine why so many of us pronounce words such as “wire,” “fire,” “tire,” and “retired” as “war,” “far,” “tar,” and “retard” respectively.

Appalachian-English also places an “-er” sound at an end of a word with a long “o”. For example, “hollow”— a small, sheltered valley— is pronounced like “holler”. Other examples are “potato” (pronounced “tader”), “tomato” (pronounced “mader”), and “tobacco” (pronounced “backer”). H retention occurs at the beginning of certain words as well. “It”, in particular, is pronounced “hit” at the beginning of a sentence and also when emphasized. The word “ain’t” is pronounced “hain’t”. Dog pronounced dawg, everyone knows where “yonder” is, pole-po, ear-yer, year also yer, here-hur or yer. Let’s not forget those pesky skeeters 🦟 and waspers 🐝

But why is it that we speak so uniquely?
The predominate theory is that the existence of Appalachian-English is the result of the isolation the mountains beyond the Blue Ridge ensured — making our dialect one of the most ancient and protected dialects in the nation.

An evidence of this is the use of words such as “afeared”, a Shakespearean word that is largely forgotten by most English speakers outside of the Appalachian region.

While our high-browed relatives who moved to the big city and lost their accent may frown upon our words and pronunciations, it is believed that the Appalachian dialect is a remnant of Elizabethan English.

Interestingly, Appalachian-English has virtually no Native American influences (with the exception being place names, e.g., “Appalachia”, “Tennessee”, “Kanawha”, etc.) while so many other regional dialects in the nation do contain heavy influences from Native Americans. This is noteworthy, as it showcases something we know and realize today — the people who settled in this region are not easily influenced by the accents and languages of others, even if they become displaced, Appalachian-English is a hard dialect to lose.”
~ Appalachian Magazine. Author not known. Will add name if found.

Photo: Paul Bulmer. Pike County, Kentucky. 1967

Sniper caught Trump with a bullet to the right ear in Pennsylvania a few mintues ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT