ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Checking out the CMA music fest to see how crappy these new acts are. It's confirmed with this Bailey Zimmerman fella and I'm sure it's going to get worse. Throwing Terry Clark and Clint Black in with these people is a crime. The 90s were the last good decade for country music. The stuff out since is NOT country just glorified pop. My goodness Nashville lost it's way. There are still great country artists out there. They just aren't mainstream.

When rates are low, it makes the cost of borrowing cheaper.
When rates are high, it makes the cost of borrowing more expensive.

Seems to be a pretty important factor, imho.
I believe the point is that rates are what they are and they will not be coming down in the foreseeable future so bitching about them or delaying purchasing a home solely because of a relatively high interest rate is stupid.

It is what it is and whatnot.

Curious what about rates people are supposed to care about?
Own 2 properties. Rent my old house. But I have both locked in at 3.25. I care about that.

What my property went for when we bought it plus that rate vs what my property appraises for now at the current rates would double my mortgage. What we bought 6 yrs ago we couldn't come close to affording now. It's crazy.

I am no expert by any means so correcting my drivvle doesn't offend me. We got a notice of our property in Lexington that was re evaluated recently. Several houses sold in that neighborhood and we got a new property evaluation. It went up considerably. All that did for us was the notice we also received with the new higher property value the property taxes went up 200 a yr. Was like thanks.

We had been considering selling it recently or when our current renter is done. But at this price + interest I can't imagine what it would be like. My renter is awesome. Retired air force vet. Works fall and spring meets at Keeneland and does any work on the property needed and we just work it out.

After him it's gone one way or the other. It's in a great school district and a good starter home for a small family. But what it would cost now I don't know what would happen.

I'm mostly making fun of the people refinancing out of their cushy 2.75% rate to refi into north of 6% because they want a pool or accumulated a truck load of credit card debt during the government stimulus days.

I feel absolutely mortified for a first time homebuyer making 45k trying to swing 1800 a month for a shitty 200k house.

Should've spelled that out a bit more.

Coworkers of mine that have bought houses in Masterson Station recently blow me away. Houses cookie cutters right next to each other like a college campus apt complex and paying north of 300 to 330.

One of many reasons we made the decision to move out of lex. Still love lex, still employed there. Just becoming too much for my simple middle class redneck ass.

Reactions: woodyard16
I’m building new, and our current home is on 2.85 but if we closed today I’d be 6.5 on the new mortgage.

4-6 is actually healthy so when they were at 2.85 and we couldn’t sustain lead times etc there was no reason to keep them so low as that put pressure on the banks.

If you can’t swing it when rates are healthy it’s probably best not to try.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Morgan Newton
Won @ Georgia
Won @ Auburn

In the same year, lol.

Newton was a disappointment - BUT I loved being at the Auburn game he had a role in winning ... so , also fond memories
Not historically a baseball fan

But enjoyed watching the UT-Tex A&M series - with my UT crazed brothers

Nice discovering this new little joy-outlet
And I really DID pull hard for The Vols!

I just hate having TA&M in the SEC (they're now bringing their idiot cousins of course) -- pulled for the Big Orange ---

UK football schedule is TOUGH - Phil Steele noted 9 UK players All-American (2) or All-SEC
--- but we may be 7-5

ALMOST want to beat Ole Miss down in FB as badly as I do Tennessee or Louisville -

Beating the Deep South SEC teams comes with that slutty little pleasure of their MORALOUTRAGE

My daughter fell in love with a Kentucky boy who shall be marrying Sep25 -

Glad to see a healthy group of younger family that are musicians/singers --- Do you guys believe younger kid's play musical instruments now as they did in the previous decades?

Have a niece in Knoxville working with a small futurist team that focuses on air health & homes w/elderly ---

Baseball seems like theres NO way push intensity to regain momentum or stimulate scoring --- it's more isolated roles

Do coaches actually create a game plan for baseball games - or is it just batting order/ pitching lineups --

^^ admitted baseball novice

HERE WITH REED AND ROB IN THE GREEN ROOM. YOU KNOW I HAD TO.

REED, A KID FROM SOUTHEASTERN KENTUCKY GETTING DRAFTED 3rd WHAT?! THE KID CAME OFF THE BENCH.

ROB IS A GREAT FIT WITH SAN ANTONIO. IVE TALKED TO ALL 32 GM’s IN THE LAST 10 MINUTES AND THEY ALL SAID ROB IS THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT. BAR NONE. CONSENSUS.

ROB AND REED. THEY SACRIFICED MINUTES FOR EACH OTHER AND THEIR TEAM. TRUE BROTHER’S KEEPERS.

***I will now light myself on fire***

300ish can’t even get you a 3/2 in middle TN. As a realtor, homes I sold for $105-110k in 2006/2007 are now 350k.
For reference the S&P 500 was $1,310.46 in 2006 and is now $5,112.90 -- a much larger jump than average house prices.

I mean, how ridiculous would it be if houses weren't a lot more valuable than they were 18 years ago?

Speaking of baseball, my son asked me to help him calculate his OPS for the season. He kept track of all his at bats this year, so it was easy to quickly calculate a 2.248 OPS. When he heard the number he started laughing hysterically and I could see the wheels turning as he compared his numbers to guys like Ohtani, Harper and Ozuna.

But then I said, “you know son, if you hit a ball to an infielder, and he throws it over the first baseman’s head, and you get all the way to third, you can’t really count it as a triple, or even a hit at all” (aka the great majority of all hits the entire team had this year).

He thought about it for a minute and said, “maybe take off one of my doubles and two singles and run it again.” 😏
Learn gamechanger

-The Knicks are taking this Villanova thing too serious!

- I hope Houston doesn’t take Reed, or Reed is actually gone at 1-2 so they can’t. I was skeptical of Chet and Wemby, but that was just because of Paolo and B Miller IMO should have been #1.

That said this Sarr kid sounds like a complete bust.

- Zach Edey projected as a Top 20 pick is interesting as the NBA has moved away from his type completely.

- Rob Dillingham at the Spurs or Hornets would be very entertaining, especially with MJ out in Charlotte.

- Dalton Knecht to the Jazz would be so on brand it’s one projection I’d like to see happen. However if I was the Spurs with a chance to add Dilly and Knecht to the group they have I’d be pretty damn excited I was the Spurs.

For reference the S&P 500 was $1,310.46 in 2006 and is now $5,112.90 -- a much larger jump than average house prices.

I mean, how ridiculous would it be if houses weren't a lot more valuable than they were 18 years ago?
325% jump in 18 years seems a bit much to me. All I know is 18 years ago a young family could buy a starter home. I think 18% increase in home value per year for 18 years is nuts.

Of course, a home should appreciate in value in most areas. Just seems like the average family is being priced out of the most important asset for retirement.

Home prices haven't been increasing for that entire time, however. You had a major downtown and collapse of the real estate market in there. I bought a house in So Fla in 2004 that I sold in 2014 for about what I paid for it (actually a little less). I bought a house in 2014 in the same neighborhood and it is currently worth more than twice what I paid for it. What has happened with price increases over the last few years is unusual.

Reactions: wcc31
Costs drastically increased through COVID, we should all be aware of that by now, but what were suppliers supposed to do when they were so far behind and throwing asinine price increases out and increasing their orders?

Again, blame the 2.85% interest rates because that absolutely was the driver to every other cost increasing at head scratching rates.

Now the rates are up and so are all the increase costs as they won’t go down, but after the govt got their increased tax dollars they don’t want those valuations to drop.

It all spells one thing, correction/recession.

Not now. At the time I was convinced Miller was a better long term player. It mostly comes from the idea of skinny ass “big” guys shouldn’t work in the NBA where grown ass men push them around and make it too hard or their bodies become injury prone. No different than when I thought Ja should have went #1 over Zion. Certain body types don’t make it at the level.

1 year into some hindsight is 20/20 and obviously Wemby was the call.

I will say I’d take Reed or Castle over Sarr.

The houses should absolutely be more valuable but the buying power to get those houses hasn’t gone up at nearly the same rate. Home prices have gone up in Lex about 110% over that time but household income has gone up at less than half that rate.

Costs drastically increased through COVID, we should all be aware of that by now, but what were suppliers supposed to do when they were so far behind and throwing asinine price increases out and increasing their orders?

Again, blame the 2.85% interest rates because that absolutely was the driver to every other cost increasing at head scratching rates.

Now the rates are up and so are all the increase costs as they won’t go down, but after the govt got their increased tax dollars they don’t want those valuations to drop.

It all spells one thing, correction/recession.

2.85% rates and also a massive surplus of money. 45 year mortgage loans here we come!

Poors get poorer. That’s the American way. So many make some crazy ass decisions that haunt them a lifetime. Myself included until I just got lucky. Better get some $ if we want decent care later in life and reasonable retirement. Some things I have seen at nursing homes I don’t wish on Zipp.

It sucks. But it’s true.

Buying a house at the end of 2022 was the dumbest thing I’ve ever done and I will never financially recover from it
We are set to close on a nice 4 bedroom / 3 bath house in South Lexington at the end of July. We got it under appraisal (and asking) at $400k. It sucks to pay 6.85% (I think) when I have already paid off a house where we borrowed at 2.5% but what is the alternative? Stay in a house we had outgrown in a neighborhood we didn't like?

If rates come down (which I do not anticipate coming any time relevant), we will just refinance.

A lot of the damn problem is people's expectations for a "starter" home. It used to be standard that people would start off in a 2 or 3 bedroom, 1 bath house and move up as their careers bloomed. Now your standard "starter" home is some Masterson Station monstrosity that comes with outsize need for furniture, electronics, etc.

No kidding you can't afford a $300k house as a 26 year old barista.

Poors get poorer. That’s the American way. So many make some crazy ass decisions that haunt them a lifetime. Myself included until I just got lucky. Better get some $ if we want decent care later in life and reasonable retirement. Some things I have seen at nursing homes I don’t wish on Zipp.

It sucks. But it’s true.
Exactly what my mother in law is going thru with her mom right now. Thought they had enough but ended up being short. Into a home. Shit care.

Some of the stories have scared the hell out of me.

Need a normal retirement fund and a healthcare retirement fund. The latter may need to have more $$ in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT