ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Bill Wyman, of Rolling Stones fame, wrote in his autobiography that he considered himself a world class cricket player and had played in various pro-am tournaments against some of the best players and was very proud of his cricket abilities. He also claims to have bedded more women than any other Stone.
So this means probably two things, to be really good at cricket is not that high of a bar and second, Bill Wyman would probably fit right in GYERO.

Reds are 1 game out of 2nd in the NL Central, and a 1/2 game out of the final Wild Card spot. Here's what's changed......

- the team is much healthier now, which is allowing each player to be put in a position to succeed, rather than having to play everyday out of desperation. When you can play the splits and form an outfielder out of Fairchild/Fraley, and another out of Benson/Dunn, your offense just got infinitely better.

and

- water finds its level. I'm not saying Candelario or India are stars, but those guys were hitting < .200 for a big chunk of the season. By simply playing average baseball, that's a tremendous improvement.

I don't think the Reds should make any big trades, unless Nick Krall is convinced he's got a slam dunk. We've still got Brandon Williamson, CES, and Noelvi Marte about ready to come back. If anything, the Reds are having a tough time finding at bats for everyone. There are spots to make an upgrade, but the roster is so deep that you're not just pushing out a bunch of scrubs. If anything, I'd be looking for a bullpen arm. You can never have enough of those.

How is Lowder doing? He was good enough I thought he’d be up after a full season in the minors.

Kid is going to be an ace.

How is Lowder doing? He was good enough I thought he’d be up after a full season in the minors.

Kid is going to be an ace.
Did really well at Dayton in 5 starts then got called up to AA and has struggled a bit so far there. ERA over 5, walks a little high as well as homers allowed since moving up but has a really good strikeout rate.

Reactions: krazykats
-Watched Cricket all week on our Honeymoon to St. Lucia. Resort workers helped explain it. There's a great Netflix documentary on how they brought in American Event consultants to make the new 2 hour version more entertaining. At that time it was the fastest growing game in the world.

-Anything worse than clicking on a delivery and seeing DHL? I guess the obvious answer is the United States Postal Service, but jfc, just use Fedex/UPS like a civilized human.

-Didn't get Savanah Bananas tickets. I guess we're looking secondary... for below A clown ball. Amazing what those folks have done. The Little League sliding mitt crowd has tons of their apparel already.

-Have to go into the County Clerks office for a renewal. Wonder what document I have won't be the right version causing a 2nd or 3rd trip?

-Typically abstain from booze on Thursdays but it was just too nice outside. Had to pour 1.

-Mark Pope in Argentina...interesting.

This popped up randomly on my Youtube yesterday before the game and for the first time I kind of understood Cricket. I still don't quite understand what stops someone from scoring 3 runs if they are really fast and just keep going or the wickets are missed.

Reactions: Midway Cat
High life grenades are a quick drink on the course. The champagne of beers is better in a bottle.

Our cricket success reminds me of when the basketball players at school played the soccer dudes in grade school. Athleticism won every time. It was essentially a kickball game.

93 Yanks documentary on Peacock. I was very familiar with some of the Mel Hall shenanigans. Good watch.

Friday Five 80's edition
Cars- Gary Numan
The One Thing- INXS
Senses Working Overtime- XTC
Talk to you later- The Tubes
Never Say Never- Romeo Void

Enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: wcc31
High life grenades are a quick drink on the course. The champagne of beers is better in a bottle.

Our cricket success reminds me of when the basketball players at school played the soccer dudes in grade school. Athleticism won every time. It was essentially a kickball game.

93 Yanks documentary on Peacock. I was very familiar with some of the Mel Hall shenanigans. Good watch.

Friday Five 80's edition
Cars- Gary Numan
The One Thing- INXS
Senses Working Overtime- XTC
Talk to you later- The Tubes
Never Say Never- Romeo Void

Enjoy the weekend.
Hand grenades are bottles. (but I get what you mean.)

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
Don't let the Reds get hot.
Took my daughter last night for her bday (which is technically today) and she got a ball and lots of free stuff while wearing her “birthday girl” headband.

Also got over the trauma of Votto retiring/being elsewhere by choosing Elly as her new favorite player after he hit a home run. Best $45 or whatever I’ve ever spent nabbing her an Elly shirt after that.

I’m dooming her to a lifetime of shit probably, but hey, at least I’ll have someone to enjoy it with I guess.

-Watched Cricket all week on our Honeymoon to St. Lucia. Resort workers helped explain it. There's a great Netflix documentary on how they brought in American Event consultants to make the new 2 hour version more entertaining. At that time it was the fastest growing game in the world.
Had a couple of HS students working for me several years back (work/study type deal) that were from India. They would get together with a bunch of their friends on Saturdays and play Cricket out at Shillito park. They were gracious enough let me join in a few times, and put up with my lack of knowledge of the game. I batted and bowled pretty well, but catching that ball sans glove is a bastard.

How much is a 20 oz Hudy Delight at Reds games now?

Last Reds game I went to was with Rudd, Coolcat, and Willie. (lol, rudd paid an usher off, so I could smoke a heater in one of the janitorial closets LOL) The morning after the debauchery, I went down to the restaurant at the Netherlands Plaza hotel, and went to town on the buffet. I thought it was gratis, so I ate and left, only finding out afterwards that it was NOT free. Well it was for ME.

Last edited:
Just finished my first golf lesson. Good grief WTF is this sport. Spent 45 mins figuring out how to grip the GD club and it still didn’t feel comfortable. What a bizarre invention of movement. Heading out to the memorial shortly to see guys that actually make it look like a natural movement, 75 and sunny today 🙏🏽 #summerroks

Just finished my first golf lesson. Good grief WTF is this sport. Spent 45 mins figuring out how to grip the GD club and it still didn’t feel comfortable. What a bizarre invention of movement. Heading out to the memorial shortly to see guys that actually make it look like a natural movement, 75 and sunny today 🙏🏽 #summerroks
Best golf advise out there, go bowling instead.

Reactions: entropy13
Currently on a fishing vessel playing hooky with my two sons and brother & niece. My boys are sleeping in the galley… can’t handle waking up at 4:30.

Glorious day on the open waters. Saw a couple whales on the way out. I may have caught the pool winner. Big ol black seabass. Caught 3 of those as well as some garbage sand sharks, ling, whiting.

Young lady had a fishing technique a couple rods down where she reeled in fish non-stop. Impressive haul.

My phone is blowing up with work calls. IDGAF. Going to the gym when I get back home, then cocktails.

Nobody is trying to milk his fifteen minutes more than Alan Cutler. Get recognized and man, is he beating that horse. I think it’s glue by now Cutman ([sick]). Something about his cadence and weird capitalization drives me insane. What a weirdo.

-summer off to a great start. Q2 quota already in the rear view. Slide into June with lots of pool time and round it out with a swing through the Carolinas for college visits. Have UNC, Clemson, and South Carolina on tap.

-Excellent recap by wodie a week or so back.

-really enjoying the energy around the program. The move in pictures are all cool. All look non-stressed. A couple with golf clubs. Smiles all around. Good looking kids and families. Mark Fox is out there looking very middle aged but cool. Like the neighbor you don’t really talk to for a year or more after moving in, but realize he’s alright when you come to a cookout. (Non-Wayne Dougan).

-longevity is really something I think we will get with Pope. And I don’t worry, maybe at all (?), about turnover of the roster, actually.

That video someone posted with the comment “wonder if Mitch saw this before hiring” gave me some peace of mind. Pope is going to be selective enough to recruit guys that honor commitments. Sure, there’ll be a few that defect and chase some NIL $, but that should be the exception. 🤞

-79 last time out…playing 6-8 times a summer. Weird how lots of play can make things go backwards. When those girls are off to college, looking forward to being worse than I am playing 1-2x/month.

-red rocks and Colorado touristin’ coming up in July.

-happy summer, GYERO.

Shorts:

- Rewatched “Major League” for I’m guessing 35-40th time in my life last week. Vaughan coming in to relieve Harris maybe a Top 5 all-time movie scene, let alone sports movies.

- Anth now too good for the United States Postal Service. 🤦🏻 The snobbery knows no bounds.

- This weather- good God.

- My oldest will be 4 in September. She’s at that age where I could see her having a great time at a Reds or Kentucky football game. I just get concerned by the bathroom situation. She has to go like every 15 minutes. The zoo was a complete pain.

- My bourbon proof preference is back to a smooth 90.

- Had a pour of Diplomatico on a rock last night. Nice little summer evening sipper.

- Watching/possibly rewatching (???) the Lance Armstrong 30-for-30. Great story.

- Game keeps sending me ads for their sweet white lids but they don’t carry Kentucky anymore. Disappointing.

- Rando GYERO crew stories are definitely one of my favorite things about this 20 year thread.

- He would have killt it here but thank Jesus we don’t have to deal with Scott Drew’s Jesus bullshit all year round. God doesn’t care about college F’ing basketball, Scott. He’s too busy winning people Grammys.

I've never seen a group of employees work harder than UPS drivers. It's unreal. They practically sprint up to your home to deliver packages, and most of them are very friendly. I probably have more respect for that group than just about any other profession I can think of.

They also make about DOUBLE what the USPS carriers do, and it's not enough for me.

They spun 3 of their top football transfers leaving before playing a down into Brohm kicking them off the team for ruining locker room chemistry over NIL money, might as well try a similar story for basketball.

Reactions: jayroon
I've never seen a group of employees work harder than UPS drivers. It's unreal. They practically sprint up to your home to deliver packages, and most of them are very friendly. I probably have more respect for that group than just about any other profession I can think of.

They also make about DOUBLE what the USPS carriers do, and it's not enough for me.
And always have treats for my dogs. 🐕

Won the largest fish pool on boat. cool $200 cash prize.

Work emails done. Douchebags quelled.

Espresso shot down. TopoChico Tangerine chaser.

Fortaleza Reposado on the ready.

Friday 5:

Roy Ayers: We Live in Brooklyn, Baby
Goose: So Ready
X Clan: Fire & Earth
Sly & TFStone: If You Want Me to Stay
The Daktaris: Super Afrobeat

Yankees / Dodgers
leggo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT