ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe going into next season with absolutely no outside shooters is going to be the key. If we dont have anyone that can shoot to begin with- then they can't completely disappear come March.

good-think.gif

I hope that old son of a bitch takes St. Johns to a Final Four.
I can almost 💯 guarantee that he will get the most out that roster next year and have them over achieving come March, unlike a certain cork soaker that shall remain anonymous. Give him a year or two to recruit NYC and who knows what he will do.

In fact this is the exact type situation, if/when he came back to college after the Celtics, that I had hoped he would do. I would have pulled for him from the get at any other place besides UL.

Listening to ksr hour 2 right now and he explained that cal and Oscar were not on the same page going back to last summer. Prob both are to be blamed but my concern is this potentially being a problem going forward with the $$ the athletes are now making?

Oscar made what this year? $3mm?

Reactions: pretzel__logic
- All of this is why Cal is known as a used car salesman. I know you guys are sick of the lack of wins in March and I get it, but we have been a top 10 team in 2 of the last 5 seasons and a top 25 2 of the last 5 as well.

No administration is firing a coach with that record.

- What I’m sick of is the charade. It’s always been there but it was funny when we were winning and his goofy ass was plastered all over TV with his cliche BS.

I know it’s bad business to let people know all the truth of bad situations and keeping some stuff in house to be dealt with, but Christ like has been said if you see what happening it doesn’t need to be explained.

- There is 0 chance Cal isn’t back coaching UK next year, and when that team, built the way Cal coaches, succeeds by staying amongst the top 10 all year and gets to an E8 as a 1 or 2 seed that will buy another year.

The only thing that matters to me is that when that extra year comes to him if Travis Perry and Reed Sheperd aren’t our starting backcourt then I’ll expect enough noise mixed with the right amount of buyout left to get rid of him.

- At that point hopefully better options for a new coach of this program makes sense because I can’t say I like many options really at this point other than “anyone but Cal” which I get.
We can’t be counting preseason rankings. We did nothing to earn where we started this year and showed it as we fell right on down the ladder.

Reactions: grantbob
I trust about 1% of things said about a team within the first week after a season-ending loss.

Cal and Oscar having a year-long riff...yah, OK bud. :rolleyes:
It’s 100 percent true. It got better in last 6-8 weeks but it was an issue going back to April of last year

Multiple things can be true:

Oscar has a once in a generation talent.
Oscar is genuinely a good person
Oscar has personality traits that make him hard to get along with in a team setting.

He did get run off from WVU and everyone blamed it on Huggins, maybe it wasn't 100% Huggins.

If it wasn’t all Huggins, Cal knew what he was getting into… Cal and Hugs are buddies.

Maybe Oscar believed Cal went to mass everyday as Cal always bragged about… and Oscar tried to make him repent.

I mean what in the hell are they arguing about? What does that even mean?
The timing of it makes it sound as if Cal wanted Oscar to move on and Oscar wanted to stick around. I mean that just isn’t how it’s done around these parts. You come in, you get to audition for a year, and then you either declare for the draft or pack up and go play somewhere else. Can’t hurt the “brand” to stick around and collect NIL. Nope, no sir-e-Bob.

I think that Matt should have let Ryan spill the beans about whatever it was he was alluding to in the first hour. I get that they can’t say everything they hear, for different reasons, but I’d wager they know a lot more than they’ve been letting on. If they feel like Cal is doing the fan base a disservice by not being more open and forthright then maybe they should do it for him. What’s Cal gonna do about it? Not come on the show anymore?

You really can't overstate just how much this "Player's First" bs has backfired. I get that you have to swallow your pride and take one for the team every now and again. Sometimes your star player walks all over you, but it's a means to an end. We let Dennis Johnson drag his fatass brother and worthless dad into Nutter Fieldhouse because we had to. Simeon Mars somehow stuck around UK for like 15 years, long after Jamaal Magloire had left the building. It happens.

But what in TF is Cal getting out of this? Relentlessly "protecting" all these bitch, prima donna players.....for WHAT?

We've basically become the best program in the country for anyone who is a self-centered, quitting little bitch. Can we come up with a cute little catchy slogan for that?

Cal said he thinks UKO can be the best big man in the country next season. Best I can tell, his upside comp is that big white Euro honk for Tennessee (Plavsic). He’s 7+ feet, fairly mobile and skilled….

…..and averaged 5 points a game this year.

Why?

Because it’s 2023, for gods sake.

Reactions: jayroon
I mean what in the hell are they arguing about? What does that even mean?
People argue/have rifts with each other over a zillion things…some important, some trivial
I think that Matt should have let Ryan spill the beans about whatever it was he was alluding to in the first hour. I get that they can’t say everything they hear, for different reasons, but I’d wager they know a lot more than they’ve been letting on. If they feel like Cal is doing the fan base a disservice by not being more open and forthright then maybe they should do it for him. What’s Cal gonna do about it? Not come on the show anymore?
to be honest with you, examples like Kennedy’s comment earlier is partially why I don’t. It will be officially denied and others in fans won’t believe it simply because they don’t want to. So you get hit from all sides with little upside

I was crushed by everyone (including UK) for saying in January I didn’t believe Sahvir would play again this year and that ended up being correct.

It’s a constant balance but people really hate being delivered News they don’t like…so they attack the messenger. I know what Ryan was going to say and I don’t think it’s 100 percent. So that’s why we waited. I am sure it will be talked about at some point

Matt while you're here I want to tell you I appreciate your willingness to go in on Cal and Mitch this year, at the cost of a lot of your access. I wish you'd gone in harder during the postgame and today, but I can say with certainty that it's your genuine belief, because you've not been afraid to say what needs to be said.

The state of the program is sorry right now. We need someone willing to call it what it is persistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT