ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Hummel’s outstanding. Just a likable guy. Player too.

- Rewatchables hitting “Whiplash” today- probably my favorite movie of the past 10-15 years along with “The Social Network.” Also begs the question- if emotional brutality is what it takes to spring true greatness from an artist/ballplayer/etc, is it worth it?

-Happy Ash Wednesday/Lent. Truly a wonderful time of year.

-Giving up instagram for Lent. I know it sounds silly for a 41 year old male to give up something as trivial as social media, but sharing memes and looking at babes are things I really enjoy.

I considered twitter, I considered beer, I considered gummies, but each carried consequences I was unwilling and/or unprepared to accept. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

-Boy howdy the Steely Dan *really* starts to slap as we get closer to spring.

-Favorite places in the US: the Cape, Colorado, and NYC. I love the low country, but it's now a bit too familiar. The other places still capture my imagination.

-Speaking of low country, headed down to Charleston in a couple weeks with a few felllas, richie chief among them. Conference tourney weekend... no lassies... frosties... richie's college town... Really looking forward to this. No agenda, really. Just getting the F outta here.

-Fish House at Barret/Winter FTW. Worship Green River style.

-With this 3rd kid I am really starting to understand the Dad of my childhood much, much clearer. 5 boys... can't imagine.

-First sample was clear, and providing another next week to be certain.

-Neighborhood doesn't allow for front yard fences but man a picket fence would be dope at our house. Aesthetically pleasing and life changing with the little ones. Oh well.

-Always been jealous of the Friday night spring game on Thunder weekend that is UofL's tradition. If it's nice weather, man, that would be tough to beat.

-What are the odds we make it to the second weekend? I'm going 15/1.

- My wife and kids can spend $120 on groceries at Costco and still not come back with anything specifically for dinners.
I've been following our grocery charges much closer since we had a child, and the total cost equivalent to actually being able to make a decent/agreeable meal when my wife goes to Publix is absolutely unacceptable.

I'll basically find a couple of six-packs of Evian (which are somehow like $15/ea), some Perfect Bars and a handful of other granola-based snacks and the total is in excess of $100. This happens 2-3 times a week. It's maddening.

Two months ago, wife spent like $250 at CostCo and we got 2 dinners out of it. I took over the next wk
I probably need to take a page out of your book because the tabs my wife is running at the grocery stores is something to behold. I understand food costs more than an organ transplant now but I think we can pass on the $30 shrimp cocktail plate that used to cost $10 just a year ago for awhile...

Reactions: UKMKG
Went to Colorado for a wedding once and have never been able to shake how much I liked it out there. Would love to go back.
My wife is like this with western Washington, area around this small town, Port Angeles.

For some reason she doesn’t like my suggestion that we need to visit in the winter.

If I remember correctly, it was like a 50lb bag of rice, god knows how many granola/fruit bars for the kids, an infinite supply of pirate booty snacks, every seasoning known to man, bathroom supplies, white claws, and enough spaghetti sauce to get through a couple months.

Prob forgetting something but not exaggerating.

-gonna head out west this summer, no idea where...like to cover two states if possible. No California (I've covered that) or Vegas....everywhere else in play.

Recs appreciated.
Utah has 5 National Parks. Been to Arches and it is great.

First choice would be Glacier NP and then swing down to Yellowstone.

Reactions: rudd1
Heading down to MX next week to visit a Japanese OEM. Maybe the last time I hit up the area as I'm transitioning into another commodity internally. The Queretaro/Guanajuato area is absolutely beautiful and I'll miss visiting every quarter or so. Will gobble up some bottles of Havana Club to hold me over through the spring/summer. The 7 year rum is like $14. They don't sell it in the US, sadly. Their stuff is really good.

- Bachelor party in March and another one in July. LSAT is *not* happy. With our 10th anny coming up in May, our 40th birthdays on the horizon, and with my work travel picking back up? Here I am running off with the boys while she stays at home to take care of our 3. Hang in there, toots!

- Speaking of, what are GYERO's thoughts on Cabo? I've not been on the Pacific side of Mexico before. I've heard mostly good. We would be only considering a high-end AI, so please don't judge. She has her sights set on it, but the beaches seem kind of hit/miss.

- Little man turned 9 months this week. He's my favorite person by a country mile. No interest in crawling much less trying to stand or walk. Having older sisters that wait on you won't exactly motivate, I guess. Just content to sit there and watch.

- Coaching U10 soccer again this spring. It's been my favorite phase of youth coaching. Coming up from U8, the U10 field is now much larger and there are goalies. You can see them starting to get the spacing, looking for teammates, keeping their shape, etc.. Much less mindless chasing. Have a couple advanced kids that also play with the select program who want to play for me, so that's a nice bonus. Almost 100% retention from the fall for those that didn't age up.

- Obvs, but the All-Star game needs to be either scrapped or completely incentivized in some crazy way. That 'product' was embarassing. Wish they would have just 'drafted' the entire teams live, instead of the reserves v starters. Would have been interesting who got picked where.

- My boy Meyers Leonard is back in the League after a unofficial blacklist for an anti-Semitic slur he used during a Call of Duty live stream. 2 years out of the League for a stupid lapse in judgement. Meanwhile, Kyrie...

Last edited:
Going to Istanbul with the Mrs in a little over a month. Any recs?
~Take about 2 days to do all the things in Sultanahmet (i.e., Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the palace, the Grand Bazaar, etc. etc.).

~Check out Taksim Square for dinner one night.

~Go to the Princess Islands for a get away.

~Don't get run over by a taxi driver.

I’ve been doing the grocery shopping for the last 3 years on my Tuesdays off. Actually one of the better hours of my week tbh

Went to Sedona for my 40th last year. Absolutely amazing. Will one day have a vacation home in northern Arizona/Colorado, the Rockies have magical energy. That’s my life goal anyway

10th anniversary in may - booked Santorini. First time in Europe, very excited. 10 years, damn

Reactions: Geese Feeder
Take back the Hagia Sophia????

Denzel Washington GIF

Majored in history at UK and one of my favorite classes was Byzantine History taught by Bruce Holle (RIP). Ever since then I’ve wanted to go to Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul. One of my best friends from growing up lives there in the “New Town” so we’ll have a place to stay. He can see the Bosphorus from his back deck. Totally stoked.

Reactions: rudd1 and 80 Proof
Going to Istanbul with the Mrs in a little over a month. Any recs?
  1. Stay in the Besiktas neighborhood
  2. Hagia Sophia
  3. Blue Mosque
  4. Basilica Cistern
  5. Do a Bosphorus River dinner cruise
  6. Private historical tour - ask your hotel for recs
  7. Go to a rug store (great exchange rate)
  8. Drink some Raki (clear liquor that turns white when you pour it over ice)
  9. Kozmonot Pub was a really interesting late night food/pub... all kinds of Russian space stuff everywhere with the vibe of a college bar
  10. Late night lamb gut sandwiches (kind of like a cheesesteak)
I'll get you more restaurant guidance; my favorite place was this high-end seafood location on the Bosphorus but I can't remember the name - will have it for you soon. The Dougan's are HUGE in Istanbul.

EDITs:
1) Grand Bazaar was really cool to see, just given the size of it. But most of the stuff in there is made in China.

Greece is super weird, but Santorini is some kind of magical place, shew. Enjoy!

Hopefully you stop in Athens to/from for a day to check out the Acropolis. Rooftop bar at Hotel Grande Betagne w/ night views of it is surreal.
Confirmed, did all this on a 9 day trip. Santorini for a wk, Athens for 2 days. Would highly recommend…. Just don’t go with a girl who likes other dude’s penises in her mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT