ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
-I got dunked on by all-pro cornerback Frank Minnifield at the high street YMCA...sometime in my early 20's. He was 5' 9" and in his late 30's at the time, iirc.

I play golf w/ Frank and Cawood has joined us a few times. He still looks like he could cover any WR. Helluva nice guy w/ a lot of cool NFL stories.

Paducah Tilghman beat Oak Hill in 91 just a few months after beating the Lone Oak Purple Flash, led by myself, on the gridiron.

- Oak Hill played Marshall County yearly for a stretch and one of the first times they came my freshman team played in the warm up game beforehand in 88. @legalbeagle123 may have even been in attendance.

Reactions: roguemocha
Most low-key GYERO athlete when it comes to "who was the best guy you ever played against" was K-Gar. His podunk, zero stoplight town high school played Oak Hill Academy in basketball, and Thomas/Julius Jones in football.

Pretty sure they lost all of those contests.

Economic growth has gone wild... Ben Hur got a stoplight.

Last edited:
Most low-key GYERO athlete when it comes to "who was the best guy you ever played against" was K-Gar. His podunk, zero stoplight town high school played Oak Hill Academy in basketball, and Thomas/Julius Jones in football.

Pretty sure they lost all of those contests.
pretty wild for playing in a town of 1,500 people and 2 high schools in the entire county.

- Oak Hill played every year in a holiday tournament we also played in in Bristol, VA.
I guarded William Avery (Duke) and it did not go well, for some GD reason Stephen Jackson (yes, the 6'8" brawl in Detroit Stephen Jackson) guarded my 5'8" ass, I did not get a shot off that entire quarter.
I didn't play against him but my freshman year we witnessed Ron Mercer absolutely obliterate the entire thing. I think he still holds the record for FG% in the tournament at something like 70% shooting (mostly dunks). I watched them beat John Battle 92-8. The closest any school like mine came to ever beating them in that tournament was a school called Council who took them to the 4th quarter by shooting almost 80% from three. they still ended up losing by double digits.

- Thomas Jones was a senior when I was a junior, he rushed for I believe it was 5 TDs and almost 300 yards, they hammered us. I think I had 4 or 5 opportunities to tackle him and I might have gotten a hand on him twice. He also scored his 1,000th point in basketball at our gym, he loved kicking our ass apparently

- Julius was a sophomore when I was a senior, we actually did beat them that year and it was his first start at RB, probably the worst game of his high school career cause he was 100% our focus, we had 2 linebackers assigned to him on every play, their only job was to go to him, even if he was blocking, they went straight to him. He did have a highlight play on me, I was carrying the ball, never sam him and he separated me from the ball in a nasty ass hit that I got made fun of for a week over

- Another interesting incident was the school where Mac McClung played (Gate City) was our biggest rival... (BTW, his dad Marcus was my position coach in high school football, pretty cool). Gate City had a 6'10" kid named Josh Shoemaker (played at Wake Forest) who stole the ball and I hustled back to try and take a charge, got too far under the basket, he jumped, spread his legs and my forehead hit his thigh, I fell, he crammed it down hard, hung on the rim and they called the block, and-1. Their crowd was spilling onto the floor they went so crazy. He was also a GD QB in football, it was really strange playing against a 6'10" QB when shotgun formations were simply not a thing you do in SW VA Football.

- Mount Rushmore of childhood sports video games:

* Baseball Stars
* Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football
* Tommy Lasorda Baseball
* Super Tecmo Bowl 3: The Final Edition

*Washington - Tecmo Super Bowl
*Jefferson - NBA Jam
*Roosevelt - Double Dribble
*Lincoln - Madden 95

- UPSET: I'm taking Fudge Stripes over Oreos if I'm dipping cookies in milk.

Mount Rushmore of store-bought cookies to dip in milk:

*Washington - Oreos
*Jefferson - Pecan Sandies
*Roosevelt - Nutter Butters
*Lincoln - Chips Ahoy

-Would’ve for sure guessed Vern was in his mid to late 50s. 🤔

-Great FB thread going about all these people hating on Leo for dating a 19 year old. They said he shouldn’t be able to date a teenager 🙄. Uh okay, she isn’t allowed to screw a famous attractive rich actor because you never would have that opportunity?

Of course when I said I date 10-15 years younger sometimes they all said that’s all they needed to know about me 😆. Let them know not to bring their daughters around me. Probably defriended by now.

-Drink relatively heavily last night for the first time in forever and wasn’t hungover per se but definitely don’t want to do that again for a while.

Will be sober for Buffet at the amphitheater tonight.

-Tattoo tomorrow, can’t wait. Feels so good and looks better.

- Oak Hill played Marshall County yearly for a stretch and one of the first times they came my freshman team played in the warm up game beforehand in 88. @legalbeagle123 may have even been in attendance.

I was at that game. If memory serves me right they had this kid named Anthony something or the other who was the #1 player in the country. I also think we beat them that year.

Reactions: legalbeagle123
Nutter Butters are absolute trash.

idiot-you-idiot.gif

Put them on your grill for a minute or so each side....you're welcome dumbass.

- Every good athlete I ever knew didn't talk about it constantly. Vern telling us everyday how awesome he is, is all I need to know.

- Turned 50 Saturday. How the Fo@k did that happen. Old

- Spent the week in Key West for my birthday. Anybody on here ever been there?

-Allan Houston was my next door neighbor and best friend until he left for college. Played with or against him hundreds and hundreds of times. Went to his wedding in Detroit when he was with the Pistons. He was sitting at a big table with a bunch of former UT players and current Pistons like Joe Dumars and Lyndsey Hunter. He introduced me as " the guy that helped me develop my shot blocking ability". Whatever.

- don't want to talk about UK basketball

- PTI did you play against any good chess players in highschool?

-I got dunked on by all-pro cornerback Frank Minifield at the high street YMCA...sometime in my early 20's. He was 5' 9" and in his late 30's at the time, iirc.

^also had to guard/fouled the shit out of the the Transy kid that dunked on boogie. Worst corporate league experience ever.

I played a game at the Y against Steve Israel when I was 24 and he was in his last year trying to make the Carolina Panthers; he was suprisingly trash at basketball. Like I couldn't believe he was a pro athlete bad. Absolutely great guy though.

- Every good athlete I ever knew didn't talk about it constantly. Vern telling us everyday how awesome he is, is all I need to know.

- Turned 50 Saturday. How the Fo@k did that happen. Old

- Spent the week in Key West for my birthday. Anybody on here ever been there?

-Allan Houston was my next door neighbor and best friend until he left for college. Played with or against him hundreds and hundreds of times. Went to his wedding in Detroit when he was with the Pistons. He was sitting at a big table with a bunch of former UT players and current Pistons like Joe Dumars and Lyndsey Hunter. He introduced me as " the guy that helped me develop my shot blocking ability". Whatever.

- don't want to talk about UK basketball

- PTI did you play against any good chess players in highschool?
-Crazy you ask! I’m here right now! What a world!!!!

-Played Jared Carter at LAC years ago, guess what, he sucked there too.

Last edited:
I was at that game. If memory serves me right they had this kid named Anthony something or the other who was the #1 player in the country. I also think we beat them that year.
Yeah, Marshals beat Oak Hill the first time they came to Marshall County. Hatcher had a connection with the coaching staff from his time in Virginia.

Reactions: august-west
Anthony Cade. 6'10ish. Can't remember who won that one. Our bus left before the game was over.

- Good friend of mine from law school hooked up with RUSS. She is now married and has a slew of kids (none of them are Russ' offspring...probably). This became significantly funnier when the squirt to the ceiling stories emerged.

Another classmate of mine was a former UK/NFL DE and relentlessly made fun of Morgan Newton for taking the LSAT instead of playing that one time.

That's all I got. #brusheswithgreatness

- my husband mentioned Vanderbilt's trade yesterday and said, hey, didn't that guy play at UK? I don't really remember him. You and me both, babe.

Then he compared Cal sucking to Wes Miller sucking at UC and I got upset.

- f Cal.

- I got down a rabbit hole reading about the exotic animal trade post-Joe Exotic and ran across articles about mountain lions in Kentucky. That is a top 5 all time Cat Paw thread and I would very much like a link if someone has it.

What ever happened to that blonde hussy that chased Rekalin Sims all around campus?

My personal claim to fame was getting helmeted by Andre Woodson at the KOTB in 2001. Had a great view of his nuts as I stepped in to help on a drive and he alley ooped on me. I wouldn't recommend (unless you're into that, no judgment).

38 and can still hoop. At the very least, I could still take a few HS kids off the bounce when I coached a 4A team here 2-3yrs ago. Never mind that team went 1-22. Maybe they just sucked. I was the volunteer assistance coach, so take no credit.

Reactions: Catman100
Just read a little about Anthony Cade, seems to be kinda joe Casey situation. Never heard of him before.

I'm going to something called Highly Suspect tonight. Also, Dead Poet Society.

These are bands, I'm told.

I remember Pitino was recruiting him up to the point it became obvious he wasn't going to qualify. Some compared him to Kemp the best I recall. Edit: He signed with Louisville but didn't qualify.

EUUX7y5XgAAFbOD.jpg

^ This looks like it came from Street & Smith's college preview magazine. Also looks like it could have come from The Cat's Pause yearbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: wcc31
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT