ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KNOW they're not the same type of player, but I keep looking at Darius Miller as a source of optimism. Totally different player as a senior- cocksure, composed, clutch. Different players, but similar mental makeup.

AND, Poythress was HUGE during the '14 tourney run.

Miller is a totally different type player than Poythress

-I like the Poythress/Miller comparison. Something to be said about being a senior and understanding the game, being crafty, etc. Doesn't hurt that he's a world class freak athlete. It's very clear what his expectations are -> rebound like a maniac. No idea why people have low expectations, I certainly don't. I want him to be our leading rebounder by a decent margin. Get back and play solid D and occasionally put up 10-12 pts only when it's needed.

Just like in 2012 when we need a calming influence and a big shot, Miller was always there. Kid grew up so much in 4 years. Same with Alex not to mention we didn't even get to see him last year. Would've loved to had him in Indy.

With our goals, he's pretty damn important. As the starting power forward and only senior on most teams would are.

-Locals, new restaurant on Walton is meh. Cool building but meh food. That area is blowing up though. National Provisions is amazing. It's no big city market but for lex having even a little market is awesome. I need to get in there and get some cured meat/cheese game on.

I mean it wasn't bad but I'm not going back because it was anything special. Be a decent place to grab some beers and sit on the roof during the summer.

Pretty stoked about the new place in Chevy Chase replacing the old Blue Poon. Beer Trappe, Village Idiot, Pazzo guys, big beer list, roof top bar.

RE: 22

Grain of salt due to sample size and opponent quality, but Poythress held the guy he was guarding to 10% shooting from the floor when he played last season. Do that, hang around the basket, get tip dunks and the occasional chase-down block like he did twice to Perry Ellis and we're good.

That's doable, even by him.

* I also think this team will be better equipped to defend more spread and ball screen looks, just because of the increase in overall team speed. They might even run a bit more. Not sure Notre Dame would be able to catch our guys out of position 4 out of every 5 trips like they did last year.

It's October. I don't want to think of scenarios where we'll be in trouble. We'll be in trouble if a bunch of our guys get struck by lightning. But for now, as long as we rebound and find a way to defend elite posts, the bar in college basketball is awfully low and we'll be fine.

Reactions: Mashburned
* I also think this team will be better equipped to defend more spread and ball screen looks, just because of the increase in overall team speed. They might even run a bit more. Not sure Notre Dame would be able to catch our guys out of position 4 out of every 5 trips like they did last year.
Absolutely ^ re: the defensive spacing. They'll be equipped to handle ball screens at a much better clip. Another one of the reasons I'm psyched about the team's potential.

And as for running, I can't see how they wouldn't be an improvement getting out and going. Last year's bunch was an abysmal fast break team. 3v2 and 2v1's were somehow a chore to score easy buckets.

Blue Poon > anything that could replace it, imo.

Okay, maybe not. But I'd LOVE if that place were available for a once-per-year (or two) post Extravaganza appearance. I'd choose that over Downtown 10/10 times.

Probably being ambitious, as I haven't gone out in 2 years after a game. Maybe once last year after an afternoon game. Either way, No clue how the usual suspects do it every week. Sounds good sometimes early in the day, but never ends up happening...at least after a 7:30 game.

Wonder if that Macho Nacho place will be any good?
[laughing] Looks like opening date of Dec 14th. Just going to assume like everything else in that spot it's doomed before start. Hopefully I'm wrong but a delivery Tex-Mex, craft beer/Tequilla, nacho joint doesn't sound like a safe bet. Also renovating and paying rent on a place like that for 7 months before opening doesn't seem like a good way to get going.

Absolutely ^ re: the defensive spacing. They'll be equipped to handle ball screens at a much better clip. Another one of the reasons I'm psyched about the team's potential.

And as for running, I can't see how they wouldn't be an improvement getting out and going. Last year's bunch was an abysmal fast break team. 3v2 and 2v1's were somehow a chore to score easy buckets.
One criticism of the twins that was absolutely justified. They ran a fast break like a wet fart(/80).

RE: 22

Grain of salt due to sample size and opponent quality, but Poythress held the guy he was guarding to 10% shooting from the floor when he played last season. Do that, hang around the basket, get tip dunks and the occasional chase-down block like he did twice to Perry Ellis and we're good.

Bahama Poy thinks this is bullshit.

Oh, and speaking of strokes -----> SGNI [laughing]

We dicked around at the tailgate, he maybe hit the GOAL once or twice. It was unbelievable....like if Ursch was talking smack about hooping (which he never would).

After 5 years of supreme shit talking, it was very disappointing. Offered to shoot for any amount on the spot, and he smartly declined after watching me shake the dust off that rusty net.

What a clown. Thank God his hotass marathoning wife was engaged in conversation up top, or she probably would have left him on the spot over embarrassment.

No idea why people have low expectations, I certainly don't.

Because he's passive, lacks a killer instinct and is coming off an injury that historically has taken time for players to mentally recover from. If you have a passive kid and then he gets hurt and starts thinking about "not getting hurt" then the risk is he becomes even more passive. I'm not going to go chasing down old box scores, but games where he logs 25+ minutes and pulls down <4 rebounds are the root of most fans' concerns.

I hope the kid breaks out this year and is giving us 6-8 points and 7-8 rebounds a night on the regular by January all the while locking down the other team's best front court player. I just have reservations about that actually happening based upon prior performances and the effects of coming off a major injury/surgery. I wouldn't classify it as low expectations though, more like tempered expectations or cautious optimism.

Have a vision that we start out a little uneven and Poythress looks a little shaky then boom... It's mid December and the engine starts to roar.

Next thing you know it's the day after Christmas and we just beat the everliving shit out of Louisville by 20+ while Poythress has a monster game feasting on the baseline. Cal's sitting court side postgame signing balls and doing Cal things in his interview with Leach...

YOU SEE WHERE WE'RE GOING. HOW ABOUT ALEX TONIGHT, FOLKS?! LIKE, WHAT?'! OK, KID. IF ITS LIKE THAT & WE GOT THE BEST FLOOR GENERAL IN THE COUNTRY & SKAL IS DOING HIS THING... LIKE, LET'S BALL & SEE WHERE THIS THING TAKES US.

REMEMBER, GANG, THERE ARE NO PARAMETERS WITH THIS GROUP. THIS ISN'T CAL BALL & WE MUST PLAY A CERTAIN STYLE TO MAKE ME LOOK GOOD. WE PLAY POSITION-LESS BASKETBALL...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, YOU CRAZY PEOPLE. TAKE IT AWAY, TOM, BUT ONE LAST THING.. ALSO WHORES.

My fear is that we need Poythress to be as athletic as he's always been, and consistently more aggressive down low than he's ever been, but the guy is coming off a torn ACL.

To me, that's scary. We don't need him out strokin' 3s, but that's what he's going to want to do if he isn't comfortable on his knee.

Do: get in the post, stay in the post, jump high, rebound, dunk.

Don't: dribble, shoot threes

Reactions: Stonewall12
Digger Phelps would do that shit on GameDay. Ask himself questions and then answer them.

He would do the "why", "how", and then answer.

Cal just says WHAT?, (are you touching kidding me) and moves on to his next ramble...basically an incorrect imperative/exclamatory, for Cal. Nothing interrogative about it the way he uses it, imo.

#Declarative

That new place that replaced HUGH JASS BURGERS is pretty good, FWIW. It's a neat setup.
Setup is great and the tacos are better than Local Taco but I thought the burgers were 'meh.' Although it's nice to have a flat top burger option rather than the thick ass gourmet burger like everywhere else.

Really after Luchador I'm pretty much ruined on any other tacos. That place is stupid which stinks but I guess is a blessing being in Lou. Apparently the new taco joint in Dundee could be even better according to MCF.

That would actually make a pretty funny YouTube mashup. Digger and Cal just asking random questions. Maybe even throw in a couple Steve Austin "whats" in there for good measure.

Reactions: bradyjames
Setup is great and the tacos are better than Local but I thought the burgers were 'meh.' Although it's nice to have a flat top burger option rather than the thick ass gourmet only options like everywhere else.
I've only done the tacos and salads, but my wife really likes the black bean burger, FWIW.

Ville Taqueria, despite the name, is outstanding as well...the real deal.

Luchador is unreal, but really no better than any other REAL mexican taco joint/tienda -- except for having English Menus and communication. I get that it makes it more approachable/comfortable for the average person.

You not hit that Ramirez junt, or any other ghetto mexican place on Alexandria or Winchester?

Basically, if the menu isn't in English, you can count on awesome tacos/burritos/sass, per my experience.

No squeeze bottles of red/green sass = No Care.

Last edited:
I only wish there was an emoticon for that lip smacking, raised eyebrows move Cal does when he's done with a thought. It's like an exclamation point in body language.

You know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: _Chase_
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT