ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keldon and Immanuel are damned good basketball names. Ashton, however, better be glad he's a damn good prospect.

OK, so i did my due dillengence and read that the stadium may be expanded . Now I am officially back on for peeing in Louisville’s Cheerios Re: MLS expansion. Neener, neener, neener. Not happenin’, fellas. Etc.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...3175288/duke-kentucky-limits-one-done-rosters

Gasaway article from April:

Veterans are increasingly hard to find on recent rosters led by Mike Krzyzewski and John Calipari. In the one-and-done era, no team has ever earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament with a roster that returned fewer than 30 percent of its possession minutes from the previous season. Duke has now come in under that 30 percent threshold in two of the last three seasons. Kentucky has done so every year since its undefeated run to the 2015 Final Four.

Very young Duke and Kentucky teams can, of course, still be very good. But the best teams that these programs have produced over the last decade have, without exception, been older. Whether your preferred example is the Kentucky team that won the 2012 national title (while returning 53 percent of its possession minutes from the previous season), the Duke team that won it all in the 2015 tournament (42 percent) or even the UK team that came up just short that same season (60), these were all rosters that were more experienced than what we've seen from the two programs over the last three seasons.

FINAL NUMBERS:

Duke is returning 22%.

Kansas is returning 31%.

Kentucky is returning 33%.

[smoke]

(Doesn't include Travis, of course.)

Seeds are in my mind are planted, but need to see them play. Should have a good idea after Bahamas.

The reason I knew in 2011 was that my son and I attended Cal's father-son camp in June and got to watch the entire team scrimmage, including the incoming freshmen. You could just tell they would be special. And of course, they weren't even organized or going full speed.

Never had a serious doubt that entire year, and that's the only year in my life I can say that about. Felt good about 78 and 96 but was still anxious as hell. 12 team never really made me nervous. Entire season felt like a time loop, as if the end had already happened.

Or as Nantz would (unhappily) say, "And the Kentucky coronation is complete."

Don't want to be the overwhelming favorite, a la 2015 (WISCONSIN!), but history says we have to be one of the favorites, which we will.

Said it before, but this program has won 1 national title in the last 60 years when it didn't open the season as the #1 or #2 team in the country.

1978: I always thought we were #1 to open, but per Jon Scott, we were #2 when we played our first game that season. No clue who #1 was.

1996: Started #1 (duh), though UMass ended up there most of the year.

1998: Started at #9. Thanks Tubby!

2012: Started at #2. Wasn't UNC preseason #1?

Most of what I'm seeing has the current team at #3/4, though I assume those rankings don't include Hagans or Travis. As it is, I'm fine letting Duke and their GREATEST RECRUITING CLASS EVER (WHO ALL PLAY THE SAME POSITION) take the heat.

Reactions: JwowPalumbo
Not as long as Brad Calipari sports a mean mug and a tattoo on his chest that says (and I shit you not) "EARNED NOT GIVEN".

This can’t be emphasized enough. I despise that little turd and cringe every time he waddles on the court with the inevitable “he is the best shooter on the team!!!” Meanwhile he shot 14% last year and is 3-20 for his career. Stellar 15%.

Meanwhile Cincinnati’s new MAJOR league soccer stadium includes $25 million in direct payments TO the local school system, $3 million to the neighborhood where they’re building it, build the HS a new $10 million football stadium and- in the biggest shock of all- actually pay for most their own stadium.

It’s almost as if they learned a harsh lesson with the PBS deal. The same deal that was basically copied for a college basketball team down I-71 a ways.

So they are tearing down the high school stadium where the black kids play?

Don't want to be the overwhelming favorite, a la 2015 (WISCONSIN!), but history says we have to be one of the favorites, which we will.

Said it before, but this program has won 1 national title in the last 60 years when it didn't open the season as the #1 or #2 team in the country.

1978: I always thought we were #1 to open, but per Jon Scott, we were #2 when we played our first game that season. No clue who #1 was.

-UNC was #1 in AP, we were #1 in Coaches' Poll. We quickly overtook the #1 spot and were #1 in both throughout the season.

I distinctly remember that in each of the 2 weeks that we lost games, #2 and sometimes #3 would also lose the same week, thus allowing us to hold onto the #1 spot. Which, as a 12 year old who put more stock in the polls than they matter in reality, was a great relief to me.

UNC, Arkansas, Notre Dame and Marquette were all near the top during the season.

-Duke may still have the #1 recruiting class this year - good for them. We will have the best roster. For the first time in 4 years. I'll take it.

Reactions: wcc31
-UNC was #1 in AP, we were #1 in Coaches' Poll. We quickly overtook the #1 spot and were #1 in both throughout the season.

I distinctly remember that in each of the 2 weeks that we lost games, #2 and sometimes #3 would also lose the same week, thus allowing us to hold onto the #1 spot. Which, as a 12 year old who put more stock in the polls than they matter in reality, was a great relief to me.

UNC, Arkansas, Notre Dame and Marquette were all near the top during the season.

-Duke may still have the #1 recruiting class this year - good for them. We will have the best roster. For the first time in 4 years. I'll take it.

UK would have played Marquette in the 2nd round but they were upset by Miami (Ohio) in the opening round.

Reactions: Century Cat
Seeds are in my mind are planted, but need to see them play. Should have a good idea after Bahamas.

The reason I knew in 2011 was that my son and I attended Cal's father-son camp in June and got to watch the entire team scrimmage, including the incoming freshmen. You could just tell they would be special. And of course, they weren't even organized or going full speed.

Never had a serious doubt that entire year, and that's the only year in my life I can say that about. Felt good about 78 and 96 but was still anxious as hell. 12 team never really made me nervous. Entire season felt like a time loop, as if the end had already happened.

Or as Nantz would (unhappily) say, "And the Kentucky coronation is complete."

That team that the intangible “it” factor. They were killers and nothing phased them. Whenever challenged they would step on the gas. By late January watching that team play was like watching a well oiled European sports car start to flex its horsepower when challenged by other cars.

“ They can blow you out in seconds.” - Rafferty

The pieces fit so well with that group as well. So many complimentary pieces.

From this point forward I refuse to allow myself to believe that we are a contender for the National Championship until late February/early March rolls around. At that point I will evaluate the situation and go from there. Otherwise I'll just roll with the punches

:rolleyes: at the NBA being able to change a block/charge call in the last 2 minutes. Like they needed another reason to extend the game.

JR Smith is amazing.

- Maybe try harder to not have your smallest and worst defender get switched onto Lebron every single time? idk jmo

The end of that game reminded me of that time when Russ Smith (who I know is of no relation) managed to screw up, like, four opportunities at the game-winner in multiple overtimes against Notre Dame.

Just thought that was worth bringing up again.

Reactions: jayroon and wcc31
The end of that game reminded me of that time when Russ Smith (who I know is of no relation) managed to screw up, like, four opportunities at the game-winner in multiple overtimes against Notre Dame.

Just thought that was worth bringing up again.

That never happened, officially speaking.

Reactions: jayroon
Cleveland should fine JR Smith $500k for being stupid.

Cleveland should fine Lue for playing JR Smith. Literally everyone who has ever watched that guy play basketball knows he's an idiot.

If someone told me what happened and made me guess who did it, I'd first have to try to remember if James Young was still in the NBA before feeling like an idiot because JR Smith is the obvious answer.

To be fair, Brad is at least a far more tolerable beneficiary of nepotism than anthonys735, imo.

A much snake-oilier Italian, too. Just a better person really.
To be fair, you're the worst poster in GYERO by far. The only reason I saw this is because wodie alerted me to it. You're the only poster that I get constant universal texts from basically everyone in the thread pissed off that you've posted several nonsensical rambling 500 word redundant vomit on your keyboard trash. I've had you on ignore for months but why don't you do everyone a favor and GTFO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT