ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBB is literally unwatchable.

Good news is NBA League Pass is free this week for you simpletons so hurry up and watch some real basketball to cleanse your palate after that shitshow.

What you don’t seem to grasp, you idiot, is that college basketball matters to us because of Kentucky. We’ve all been diehard crazed lunatic fans for 30+ years. You can’t manufacture that. I can’t just decide toGAF about the Knickerbockers. It’s ingrained in me to GAF about Florida, Duke, Arizona, etc because it affects Kentucky- maybe on the slightest of levels but it still does. you tall dope. The GAF is what drives my viewing. I’m not watching for aesthetics.

All that said, I love you, buddy.

Last edited:
- We all knew this team was going to struggle at times. We’ve seen the freshmen be good and terrible in waves. Keep your eye on March. Few are better at getting their teams to peak at the right time like Coach Cal.

- Just collapsed like we did against Tennessee and UCLA. Pray it’s growing pains. Shout out to Boner.

- Diallo is going through a shitty stretch but so has every other freshman on this team which should be no surprise at all to us. That said, disappointed in his attitude. He hasn’t lost me yet though.

- Knox is soft but Knox is also really really good. He can score in so many ways and no one will benefit from Vanderbilt like he will.

- And Vanderbilt- wow. Rare combination of energy, athleticism, toughness and feel out there, and his passing is Lonzo-esque. Leads guys every time. These dudes aren’t used to that yet (ahem, Richards). That dude is a gamechanger and makes shitty SEC basketball watchable.

- Richards just can’t have a good game. Was all right there for him and he pissed it away.

- SGA was terrible but snakebitten on those shit charges. Took away what he does best.

- We need Green back for his ballhandling but mostly for his poise.

- wcc’s March lineup:

Green
SGA
Knox
Vanderbilt
Washington

with Diallo and Gabriel getting starter minutes and Richards/SKJ providing size.

- I still believe in this squad. Minor hiccups. We’ been here before. Keep plodding. Stay the course.

Shai is learning what it's like to be scouted. USC guards were waiting on his secondary moves all night. Take initial contact and wait for the hesitated crossover or spin. The kid has been awesome, but that's how he gets separation and those guards knew it and waited for it.

Cal has always been great at developing individual skills while these kids are here. What he isn't great at doing is teaching the nuances of the game. And we have 3 main guys that do not know the game: Diallo, Richards, and Gabriel.

Diallo looks like he plays hero ball because he can't pass. His game was exposed last night. A guard that has no handles, can't pass or shoot? I hear Europe is beautiful this time of year, though.

EJ Floreal could even be of use this season, TS.

Not to go raftard mouthbreather, but also kind of points out why not give that 12th and 13th scholly to a Kentucky kid - Jake Ohmer would be nice to have in that spot.

-yep. I wouldn't mind the Williams or McDonald kids at nku. This team could use a tough/scrappy honk.

Reactions: warrior_SW
<

^ Wondering when that's going to happen to PJ (teams scouting his move). I've never seen a dude make the exact same move 100% of the time like he does.

Catch, jab right/crossover to the left all in one motion. Pretty much walks every time, and gets called on it plenty enough. It works for him otherwise, but I can't imagine that will continue forever. Mix it up, big fella.

-I'm concerned about Diallo. He went from alpha-dog, both in the offensive scheme & in leadership, to pretty much an after thought when Shai took over & PJ emerged. It's affected him, and he looks to blame others for EVERY bad play, be it a ref or a fellow teammate. Really chapped my ass last night when he left SKJ laying on the floor so he could run down the court and throw his patented temper tantrum.

Feel like his early good shooting was definitely fools gold, as his shot is broke AF. His athleticism is obviously his best attribute, and he really doesn't use it much in the course of the game. Kid also needs to learn how to jump off one foot -- can't count how many times he lets the defender catch up to foul him, or his ankles give away as all his running force comes to a halt so he can plant his two feet.

I've not given up on him, we need him -- But, I really think he's going to be in for a rude awakening come draft season if he's truly a 100% automatic leave, which I assume he is.

-I got flashbacks to Carruth when watching Vando last night - as in, I really didn't care if he turned it over or fired one off the backboard. I just wanted to watch him do his thing, it was like a game within a game just watching him. :smiley:

6pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists....in 14 minutes. He's gonna be great.

-We need to recruit more guards. Cal backed into Baker, and we'd still need another one even if he was healthy, imo. How about having a 3rd or 4th string capable guard as opposed to 7 PF/Centers?

-After going 1-8 last night, Kevin Knox is now at 30.0% on the year from deep, aka, one game from being 29%.

Last edited:
One thing is for certain about tonight's matchup, Silva will play like Jabbar and Olajuwon's love child.

Everyone saw that coming.

Last night was inexplicable, blowing a sizable lead to an offensively challenged team. The worst part was having to wait until 9, endure that foul fest, get teased with Vandy and what could be, then watch us completely unravel. Typical freshmen shit. Whether it's lack of toughness, focus, bball intelligence, whatever, I still put it all under the umbrella of typical freshmen shit. I still like this team though.

Do we have a ton of work to do?
Yes, of course, but we still have roughly 2 months before the tourney begins where we will be playing neutral site games against a wipe open field.

Is our remaining schedule brutal?
No doubt! But it will greatly benefit us. By tourney time, there won't be much we haven't seen scheme or talent wise, save a few obvious teams.

Do we have the squad to do it?
I think so. It would nice to have at least 1 vet, like a previously redshirted Hawkins, but we don't so oh well. We have talent. With Vandy and Quade's eventual return, we'll go a solid 9 deep (or even 10 if Tai can get back and give us 5 more fouls which we could have used last night ). I could be wrong but this team has more of a 2011/2014 feel as opposed to a 2013 feel. This team is elite 8 capable for sure. From there, who knows.

There will be more of what we witnessed last night. We have a stretch in early Feb where could lose 3 or 4 straight. Hell, that's the case for the entirety of the SEC slate. But I think it will harden us and provide us with the experience (close games vs good comp) needed heading into March.

Or we could lose 1st round as a 8 seed to Texas with Bamba putting up a quadruple double. Who knows.

Without Vando (is that what we're going to call him?) - this team wasn't making it out of the first weekend. In my opinion. To be perfectly honest witchyou.

With Vando (again, just trying it on) - this team has an Elite 8 run in them. Maybe.

I just don't see it with this squad. Even if they improve, they're still too raw on both ends of the floor and I think Cal is a little out of his element in terms of what he likes in a team that he can easily coach/motivate.

I still think they are tough and tend to play hard/not back down. They're likeable in that regard. It would be fun to watch them grow, but alas . . .

Reactions: Hankshaker
<

-I got flashes back to Carruth when watching Vando last night - as in, I really didn't care if he turned it over or fired one off the backboard. I just wanted to watch him do his thing, it was like a game within a game just watching him. :smiley:

6pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists....in 14 minutes. He's gonna be great.

-We need to recruit more guards. Cal backed into Baker, and we'd still need another one even if he was healthy, imo. How about having a 3rd or 4th string capable guard as opposed to 7 PF/Centers?

Well said and spot on! I felt transfixed watching Vandy. And Cal could snag a solid vet guard every other year without even really trying. He wouldn't have to leave the Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio region. Hell, I'd do it for him, free of charge. Me, you, and Killa can each take a state and find somebody. I'm willing to bet there are over 100 KY high school white bballers right now who are ENG's height or smaller that are also better.

* EVAN DANIELS LAYS HIS BIG NUTS ON THE LINE:

“I don’t know for 100 percent sure that (Zion Williamson) is going to Clemson,” Daniels told the Herald-Leader on Tuesday. “That’s the school that’s getting all the buzz, and that’s the school that I’ve heard the most. But I couldn’t say definitively that that’s where he’s going.”

So, there’s still a sliver of hope for Kentucky — and the other finalists on Williamson’s recruiting list?

“For sure. I think there is,” Daniels said. “I feel good about (Clemson), but there’s certainly a chance that he could end up somewhere else.”

[laughing]

Dude gets paid to follow recruits and recruiting and he literally refuses to make a pick. Nice gig, I guess.

* Not sure I fully understand Kyle Tucker's vendetta against UK fans who were questioning Vanderbilt's commitment to college basketball and this team, but I can't say I'm not enjoying it.

Reactions: Mashburned
I don’t think it is as much a “bad stretch” for Diallo as who he really *is* as a basketball player. Sad true IMO. Teams are gonna sag and play the drive all/air. Archie Goodwin 2.0 LESSSGO.

You aren’t gonna bring that whole FREAK ATHLETE value to a team if you need to explode off both feet to be effective - agree with BBDK here. Joe Crawford had same problem. If you have the time to collect yourself and go off both? Good for you. But in a breakneck tempo situation you ain’t helping me if you can’t come off one foot and rise.

- The way Vando can simply flick that left wrist and zip a pass into tight spaces or 40 feet up the floor is an elite skill. Shades of Ben Simmons. Man. When he cleaned the glass and immediately started going downhill on the break? Wow. Sad we’ll get 2 months of that and boom — audi5.

Last edited:
That’s what amuses me about Daniels’ boasts of “he’s gotten his last 48 picks correct!” BS. Dude sandbags until the last minute then switches his pick.

Look- I know recruitniks are annoying and you’ll catch shit for misses BUT that’s your job. That’s why you get paid to watch basketball.

And his podcast is awful. Nobody gives a shit about your interviews with Chris Holtman. Give recruiting info.

I hate sports pods revolving around coach interviews (ahem Jon Rothstein- F that guy). They say nothing.

We all knew Vanderbilt was a "skill" forward, but I couldn't get over how short/tight his handle was, for being such a tall dude. Was even more surprised by his explosion & speed, my God.

It's difficult to remember a young Lamar Odom given how fast he got old/big, but that's who he looked like to me out there, especially when he was bringing the ball up.

That little flurry in the first half with a 40 foot pass by Vanderbilt, and then the long lead bounce pass in the lane to SKJ...honestly were the best "wow get out of your seat" highlights of the season. I'm not talking about exciting b/c we are throttling Louisville by 30...I'm talking "holy shit, that was effing dope, did you see that?" We haven't had much of that this season. Kid has a different gear than the rest of the crew.

- We all knew this team was going to struggle at times. We’ve seen the freshmen be good and terrible in waves. Keep your eye on March. Few are better at getting their teams to peak at the the right time.

- I still believe in this squad. Minor hiccups. We’ been here before. Keep plodding. Stay the course.
I very much remember dog-cussing Cal after that horrible loss to South Carolina in 2013 pretty much saying “Go back to the NBA you mothertoucher” and a bunch of other horrible things.

We went to the championship that year.

I mean, our starting PG didn't play and we incorporated a player that hasn't played all year. To me, this is hopefully another learning experience. You can't take your foot off the gas against anyone. Especially on the road.

I feel pretty good about this team and their chances. #allin.

I've said it before but it's absolutely unfathomable that we're even discussing this. I rarely get redass anymore but seeing his stumpy legs waddle in the game (NOW IN CRITICAL SEQUENCES) makes me absolutely livid.

Willy, please don't reply with one of your trademark compassionate blah blah blah posts about our lack of depth and him trying hard. False in advance. I'm not gonna hear it.

WTF are you talking about?

I don't give a shit if ENG is the first walk on off the bench or if he gets an otherwise unused scholly, but I sure as touch don't want his ass playing meaningful minutes. He's terrible.

Go watch your NBA and get pumped while doing so. And please leave me out any of your stupid posts in the future. TIA, dickwad.

Reactions: Kennedy_UK
Not sure how you are supposed to play defense down the stretch when 90% of our players had 4 fouls.

Johnny David should get clock before GNE.

Very happy with Vando last night. Kind of shocked 1st game back doing that. 100% should have been in with 4 to go. Cal stuck with Hami wayyyyy too long last night.

I made the comment last night even after the collapse, if we get everyone healthy, the 1 seed in our bracket will be a nervous team seeing us staring them down in a possible second round match up. Give us a favorable 8/9 game, the right 1 seed, and boom, we can open a bracket up our self.

Last edited:
I kind of like how angry and indignant it makes sports writers when UK fans threaten officials. I mean, I know we shouldn’t do it, but they’re obviously not “real” threats.

I guess that’s becoming our thing, and I can’t say I’m too upset about it.

.Bob Valvano just told a pretty incredible (well, not really) story from the UofL/Notre Dame last night.

Said in the middle of the game action he was calling, a man (Digger Phelps) came behind him and planted a kiss on his cheek, while laying 4 pieces of paper in front of him. Couldn't even tell who it was, but realized later. The papers were a 4 page Bio of himself listing all his records, career highlights, star players, and his coaching tree - along w/ one of his signature autographed highlighters. "I thought, what in the hell is going on? Truly one of the strangest moments of my life" [laughing]

What an ego-maniac little shit Digger is.

Last edited:
Ha! Yesterday Bob (I'm from Louisville so it's cool) was saying how little success Notre Dame had experience historically, and specifically mentioned Digger for having limited success there himself in spite of his tenure. Guess that got back to Digger. What a bitch.

Ha! Yesterday Bob (I'm from Louisville so it's cool) was saying how little success Notre Dame had experience historically, and specifically mentioned Digger for having limited success there himself in spite of his tenure. Guess that got back to Digger. What a bitch.

And now we get the rest of the story.

Makes more sense. But I still hate Digger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT