ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSU Players from another time

Ricky Blanton
Nikita Wilson
Chris Jackson (or was it Mark? M'fer had Tourettes I DO remember that)
Stanley Roberts
That asshat that pulled A D down from behind by his shoulders on a break away dunk

Festus?

Shit -- I'm better at this with Alabama
Don Redden
Rudy Macklin
Howard Carter
Ethan Martin
Jerry Ice Reynolds

Reactions: CastleRubric
I will never be able to remember this without thinking of BKH's comparison to a Scooby Doo villain, running with his arms stretched out over his head.

Festus was a Vandy guy... unless there's two.

Am I right in thinking you're married to my man 80 Proof and we've met?

Weren't you carrying a swagger stick at Neydland Once?

If we beat Tennessee we should easily drop out of the top 25.

another final four and it's BACK TO THE SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE for us.....we'd be in there with NC A&T, Winthrop and 3 surly directional Tenn schools

So I've been drinking Woodford Reserve for a week now

Is that considered pretty good by any of you heathen?

The drink -- not the duration of the bourbon romance

PS: Antwan Barbour

I will never be able to remember this without thinking of BKH's comparison to a Scooby Doo villain, running with his arms stretched out over his head.

Festus was a Vandy guy... unless there's two.

I always think of the Claiborne Co "Fitness Club" when I think about our loss to LSU in 1986

Even then as an Afro Mullet sporting acid head....I KNEW that shit wasn't right

The talent is a work in progress, but man this team fights. And everyone is fairly clutch except for Fat Tayshaun.

Looks like PJ had a strong game

He''s one of those guys that's kind of a tweener but I just REALLY want to see turn into a damn mean ass force ala Kidd-Gil - Terrance Jones and Winston Bennett

PS:
Chuck Verderber

Am I right in thinking you're married to my man 80 Proof and we've met?

Weren't you carrying a swagger stick at Neydland Once?

Nope... I'm not even sure I've met him in person, though we are friends on Facebook. But If I went to Neyland, I'd almost certainly carry a swagger stick.

Reactions: CastleRubric
-Diallo was obviously not feeling well last night. Hoping that was an outlier for him.

-That small, if you want to call it small, lineup is really intriguing because Gabriel/Washington are so long but it's really quick and disrupts the constant ball screen. I like it.

-Washington had a terrible first half defensively but his help on P&R in the second was a big difference.

-I love Waters. What a little badass. That's a nasty little back court they'll have for a few years.

-Cool January stat -> should top out at a balmy 31 degrees this weekend. The rest of the time somewhere b/w -2(****ing degrees) and 21. Tomorrow 13 for the high and a tropical -2 for the low. Get f*cking pumped. Skin cracking, static everywhere, frozen bs, 8 layers. Worst 8 weeks of the year and it's not close. Come on March.

Perfect day to find out my truck heater doesn't work. Given, I'd never tried turning it on before.

Just noticed that UCF is declaring a national championship and paying their coaches their championship bonuses. I like their style.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Just noticed that UCF is declaring a national championship and paying their coaches their championship bonuses. I like their style.
Well it is a very UK thing to do so I can see why you like it.

img_1892.jpg

Perfect day to find out my truck heater doesn't work. Given, I'd never tried turning it on before.

Truck heater? It’s what 55 there? Roll the damn windows down

It's usually in August that you cold weather people start bitching about the heat, about 3 months into good weather. It's usually early January, about 3 weeks into cold weather that EVERYONE starts bitching about the weather. That's pretty much proof that you cold weather people are idiots.

Happy New Year, GYERO....

Pro-tip, take the next day off work when you return from 2 weeks out of the country. Solid trip rundown and randoms, LETS GO!!

Flew from the states over to Rome, by way of Frankfurt, only to get stuck in the Frankfurt airport over 10 hours because of computer issues. Grabbed a couple tall biers and brat, turned on the netflix and waited it out. Got to Rome a bit later than scheduled... my luggage would arrive a few days later. Thankfully you get reimbursed for necessary clothing when your stuff gets lost, however- euro-man dresses much different than gyero-man. My closet now has some tapered slacks and a cardigan thats a bit too snug.

Vatican tour was one of the highlights. Went in on an *early* morning tour before it opens, so you had a chance to actually see some things before the crowds take over. Place is magnificent. I dont know anything about art, aside from the very popular culture stuff-- but its impossible not to see that the displays there are some of the most incredible works on earth. Did about 5-6 hours there before fatigue set in.Set out to see the rest of the major attractions (Pantheon ftw), Finished the day with a night tour at The Coliseum. Place is wild. You appreciate the engineering that went into such a structure... they actually just finished an exact replica of one of the elevators that came up from underneath, raising wild animals to attack the gladiators... a few peoples job, once upon a time, was basically to push a wheel with other dudes, to lift a lion up so it can kill an unfortunate soul.

About a year ago I had written to the US Bishops Office in Rome, requesting seats at Christmas Eve Mass with Pope Francis. We finally got approved for tickets to attend, just a couple weeks before our trip. We had to wait in line a total of about 4-5 hours the day of, but it was well worth it. Were seated right on the aisle, an arms length away from the Pope as he passed going in and going out. Pretty amazing experience.

Foodie rundown from Rome was just mediocre, save a trip to Roma Sparita for cacio e pepe. Other than that even the nicer dinners were kind of just meh. Not bad, but nothing too memorable. Enjoyed Rome a great deal, but it lost a bit in the rankings for the underwhelming food scene and overall sketchiness of most of the people we dealt with. Not having a change of clothes for a few days didnt help it either.

Took a train to Florence from there. Was the place i was most excited about visiting, and it overperformed. Entire city area on both sides of the river are completely walkable, at all hours of the day. Just always seemed like there were people out and about. Checked out the Duomo, Academic Gallery to see the David and other Michelangelo works, Ponte Vechio, etc... but a lot of our time was just spent focused on casual strolls, eating and getting wine drunk all/air. My wife had recently discovered a leather shop that a couple guys set up not too long ago, got a bit obsessed with some of their stuff and wanted to just go to the shop "just to look." She ended up making some rather large purchases, randomly got to meet the designer/owner who was exceptionally nice to her as she fangirled out. On the last day we got caught in a bit of a rain storm, and ducked into a little wine shop. Were the only ones in there aside from the girl working- ended up being there for a few hours, tasting from bottles she had open, my wife also became besties with her and now we have a couple cases of wine being shipped over.

Food there was amazing. Every detail of the service and the food is top notch. Highlights were dinner at a spot called Belcore. Went on a recommendation from a faculty member I work with that spent a couple years living there. Hostess has a glass of prosecco waiting on you when you walk in for your reservation. Pasta's were great, as was the filet. Im a novice wine drinker so they took care of all the wine pairings. Another of the memorable meals was at La Gisotra- place was much more eccentric, but food still really top notch. Chef was a bit of a nut, he comes out to greet everyone, does some serving, cleaning tables- all 100mph... Assume there is a lot of substance going on with him. Same formula- shared a pasta or two, then ordered whatever house special they were serving. Got tiramisu and a complimentary bottle of limoncello.

Florence scores big time with me, people were great, never had to use a car or metro to get anywhere, food was as good as anywhere and costs was reasonable.

Train to Milan from there, where we had some time to kill for a couple days, one we spent in the city, and the other we took a day trip up to Lake Como. Milan is meh. Unless youre really into high fashion- there just isnt enough there to keep your interest for too long. Our hotel did have a complimentary Maserati chauffeur to get around town, which made it somewhat more tolerable... Como was ridiculous. Little towns at the base of the Alps, christmas markets were still in full swing-we went up to the highest elevation we could to get some nice panoramic shots- and it doesnt even look real. It was like some kind of painting. Its also evident in that area, that there is a big difference between those who have enough money to be comfortable, and the folks that have generational wealth. I can only assume its even more noticeable in the summer, when the yachts are docked.

From Milan, we took an overnight sleeper train into Paris. Was basically like a dorm room on a rail car. Not glamorous, but was an experience nonetheless. Couple stops in Switzerland along the way for breaks- and arrived in Paris the next morning. Big fan of the train travel-- jealous of how easy it is.

Paris has been probably my favorite city since we visited last time. This time we didnt really do much other that eat and drink a lot. Did the traditional brasserie for NYE dinner which was something else. French food aint great, but our meal was fine. I went with the rabbit and roasted vegetables, trying to stay clear of their prix fix menu. At about 11:30 that night, my wife decided she wanted to leave the very comfortable bar spot we were at, and go see the fireworks at midnight-- which was an absolute awful decision. Fireworks are stupid and the other million people there were trashed. Other than that the rest of the time there was low key... even stumbled into a micro-brew one night after dinner that had football games on TV. At that point after enough wine, I was really in the mood to just drink a beer.

Definitely one of the better stretches i've had, probably bit off more than we should have- but worth it, who knows if/when we will have the chance again. Really looking forward to the next few weeks when my wife sends me a real estate listing of a place in Florence with the caption "We could maybe afford?"

I kinda secretly hope Zion goes to Clemson
A certain segment of our fanbase is going to have a meltdown. If we get a healthy Vanderbilt to come back, then whatever. But if not, we need that dude.

Pretty much resigned myself that SGA is going to jump as well...if I was an NBA exec I would draft him over anyone on this team save maybe Knox.

How upset will you be when we have our first none-and-done player? We almost had it with Diallo last year and it feels like it's a possibility with Vanderbilt. If it's not due to the NCAA or a season-ending injury, it seems fair to expect that we get at least a little game action out of a recruit.

Feels like Cal would say it's all about these players and what's best for them... which is true to a point.

We've already had a none and done.

If they can go, so be it. Diallo would've been the only case I care about b/c 1/2 season but whatever. Way more concerned with the players in the game and winning the next one.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT