ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. I'm a millennial who works with other millennials, and graduated with other millennials, and while some of them do have ridiculous student debt (because they went to private colleges) that they'd rather not have, we all get up and go to work and pay for our housing and food and cars and all that jazz like the rest of you... we're just not sure why we need to stop eating avocado toast and start buying diamonds to make everyone else like us?
COUNTER POINT: avocado toast is delicious tho

My 25 year old sister in law is a complete and utter bum loser, but I know lots of very hard working, determined, and energetic 25 year olds too. It wasn't too long ago that our the current older generation was viewed as lazy hippies by the generation before them, the reality is most people aren't going to be great successes like everyone in GYERO making six figures no matter when they were born. Not everyone can be a BRax or maxpowerr and smug it up all the time, and that's okay.

My only knock on millennials is that they think they can delay traditional life events indefinitely, which works for some but has burned many others.

Millennial: “My 20’s are for traveling! I’ll get serious about my career around 30, get married in my early 30’s knock out some kids in my late 30’s / early 40’s.”

Sounds great dude, but you’re not giving yourself much wiggle room if something goes wrong. Especially for women.

Super gingy faggy murse lookin fella. I think it’s actually a pic of key west still to be honest.

Probably a glimpse of how he makes his “real money.”

Avocado toast is delicious.

New Star Wars was awesome. I’ll just leave it there to avoid spoilers.

Ted’s Last night for a nice buffalo ny strip. Actually it ended up being a ribeye. I pointed it out to the staff. Flexed my meat knowledge, explained to the millennials the difference in cuts, and that it was a touch over cooked, but still enjoyable. Love that place.

I’ve had similar thoughts about people who go to school and take on massive debt for a job that will maybe one day 20 years later pay it off...yeah, maybe exercise a little prudence in judgment, but shine on.

There is really no light at the end of the tunnel. Nobody really walks off into the sunset after all the school and degrees. You are now in the real world where people expect you to perform at a high level, and your 250-500k education investment is on the line with every call you make. Enjoy the grind.

Honestly though, tip of the cap to Rogue. He’s living his life on his own terms. Everybody’s money is the same color around here.

Chief missing the bitcoin explosion is so Chief.

I like guacamole but avocado triggers immediate nausea. Anyone else?

-last minute overnight brisket for my wife’s extended family. Threw on a 10 pound packer (after trimming) at midnight. Just pulled it off. People love it but it stresses me out. I really want to find a cambro from a defunct restaurant or catering business.

Or I don’t know maybe a society isn’t a healthy one when young people are forced to decide between ignorance and crippling debt.

That's an interesting one. College is the only product where we're conditioned to speak fondly of and support for the rest of our lives. I've probably spent $60K on Toyotas in my life, but I'm sure as hell not going to wax poetic about the great days in my Toyota Sienna.

People from other countries think we're stupid for this btw.

Or I don’t know maybe a society isn’t a healthy one when young people are forced to decide between ignorance and crippling debt.

Should probably start mandating the “adulting classes” in high school. Preferably freshman and sophomore years so they have time to let it soak in.

Tradesmen will have more knowledge (useful to society as a whole) by the time they’re 25 than any communications major with PowerPoint skills and some art history electives will have in their entire professional career.

Nobody forced these millennials to go into student loan debt for their English majors. There wasn’t a draft.

The societal problem here is the stigma associated with doing any but going to college.

For most people, college’s main benefit is a social filter/marriage broker (as compared to learning a trade) and for the real losers of the bunch, it’s the prospect of extended adolescence on their parents/taxpayers’ dime.

That’s what the debt is paying for, and they should shut up about it.

Last edited:
If you could bankrupt student debt, that bubble would have cratered a loooooooong time ago.

There are way too many college majors where the most favorable outcome is that a student ends up teaching or administrating that subject.

At the moment, a college education is absurd except for true professions that need credentials like medicine, law, etc.

Tradesmen will have more knowledge (useful to society as a whole) by the time they’re 25 than any communications major with PowerPoint skills and some art history electives will have in their entire professional career.

Nobody forced these millennials to go into student loan debt for their English majors. There wasn’t a draft.

The societal problem here is the stigma associated with doing any but going to college.

For most people, college’s main benefit is a social filter/marriage broker (as compared to learning a trade) and for the real losers of the bunch, it’s the prospect of extended adolescence on their parents/taxpayers’ dime.

That’s what the debt is paying for, and they should shut up about it.

My stepdaughter is supposed to go to WKU next fall. She is a very average student. I get the trades argument for sure. However, what are the podcasts/new thoughts saying about girls? She isn’t going to be a plumber/electrician. I have no idea what she will wind up doing/learning.

My stepdaughter is supposed to go to WKU next fall. She is a very average student. I get the trades argument for sure. However, what are the podcasts/new thoughts saying about girls? She isn’t going to be a plumber/electrician. I have no idea what she will wind up doing/learning.

Marry a pre-med?

Nursing.

Reactions: catholic_back

Probably stripping her way through school. Seems like 98% of the girls at Camelot East were doing just that. Of course it was all an act but who cares.

Just google trade jobs for women, there are a bunch that are still computer desk jobs or hospital jobs. But, if she is going for an her MRS degree to eventually be a SAHM, obviously college is still the play, IMHO.

Have her read “So Good They Can’t Ignore You,” to set the scene for choosing a career path. It bursts a lot of bubbles, very well.

Reactions: buckethead1978

Um, false! The societal problem is the lack of a credit app for the debt they are about to incur.

Um, false! The societal problem is the lack of a credit app for the debt they are about to incur.

Jesus.

The whole effing point of student loans is that 18 year old kids are uncreditworthy so the federal government steps in and guarantees their student loans for the price that those loans aren't bankruptable.

Do you eat crayons?

I went to UK, dropped out after my sophomore year to work, and learned some valuable lessons in various construction related fields. Went to BCTC when I was 26 and got an AAS in a construction related program 2 years later.

Used my degree and work background to get a low paying but resume friendly job with the state in a construction related department. Used that job to get a position at my current employer where I have now moved up to top dog because I am pretty good at what I do.

People don't like hard manual labor or community colleges, but I have used both to make a pretty nice living for myself. Wasn't easy and wasn't the "cool" way to do things but I am happy with my life. I will encourage my sons to apply this attitude to their own lives after high school in the unlikely event they aren't high level d1 athletes/MLB draft picks.

Jesus.

The whole effing point of student loans is that 18 year old kids are uncreditworthy so the federal government steps in and guarantees their student loans for the price that those loans aren't bankruptable.

Do you eat crayons?

Not sure what's worse, the fact that you justify the govt blindly accepting IOUs from uncreditworthy idiots for the stipulation of them being unbakruptable no matter the cost, or that the idea of a person having to build a little credit before piling on huge debt for an education is a bad thing and means the student loans could not remain unbankruptable.

The current system clearly works so it's no surprise you'd be in favor.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Not sure what's worse, the fact that you justify the govt blindly accepting IOUs from uncreditworthy idiots for the stipulation of them being unbakruptable no matter the cost, or that the idea of a person having to build a little credit before piling on huge debt for an education is a bad thing and means the student loans could not remain unbankruptable.

The current system clearly works so it's no surprise you'd be in favor.

You're an absolute idiot with zero reading comprehension but I really hope your kid is doing alright and you're keeping up with the running, you big dumb lunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT