ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ever get sun burn bad enough on the top of your legs that sleeping is impossible because bed sheets hurt and having to wear pants at work feels like youre constantly being stung by a swarm of bees bc thats how the last couple days have gone for me. The rainy overcast forecast for the bleachers turned about to be a scorcher at Wrigley on Friday afternoon.

Pretty nice little weekend. Cubs and Cards is always a good time- taking all 3 was pretty unexpected. Had planned on just going to the Friday game, but when we were having lunch Saturday I saw a pair of $25 tickets on stubhub right before the 1st pitch so I pulled the trigger. Of course $25 jumps to like $130 after stubhub kicks in their fees but whatever.

First pitch friday was at 1:20... during the national anthem a guy with a bachelor party group vomited a few seats over. The crowd reaction around him was not one of appreciation. Noticed that as he stumbled away and left- not one of his buds went with him. Dont blame them- if youre puke drunk at 1PM, I aint sacrificing the rest of the day to keep an eye on you. I assume he died. Anyway, the crew cleaned up the bleachers and all was good.

In an overly ambitious move Saturday, we went from game 2, to german fest, then down to solder field for the U2 concert. Probably tried to cram too much into one day/night. By the end of the concert I was in pretty rough shape. Was pretty amazed, especially since there have been incidents at concerts and there was the London incident earlier in the day, that security seemed pretty lax at Soldier Field. Seemed like you could get all the way to the gate before there was any line of defense- but whatever, nothing happened that night so all good.

U2 is just kind of too old I think. Maybe just Bono. The band was fine but his voice is worn thin. Was a good show, but nothing like it was last time I saw them years ago. They led off with Sunday Bloody Sunday (i think the tour is a prepackaged set list they play each night) which was awesome, but I mean that was the high point.

Pequod's came through again. As good a crust as youre going to have on a Chicago Style. Ideal carmelization.

Little Goat Diner for brunch yesterday- also good but some of their dishes are a bit too much. I had an omelet while my wife ordered a dish with eggs, szechuan sausage in some type of chili garlic glaze, plated with strawberries and some other stuff... true to form she ate her 3-4 bites like a 7 year old and then she was finished. "I thought maybe you would want to take it with us for later" I mean what a great idea- lets take it with us while we walk around downtown Chicago for 4 hours, i bet it will heat up nicely after that.

We went to Gibson's one night, but even with a reservation they were running way behind so we didnt stick around. Have wanted to try that place out for a long time, but alas.

Eataly's are dope, even if you arent eating there. Just browsing around and snagging free samples of cured meats, cheese and wine is a solid way to kill some time. I wish I was more of a wineball. I dont dislike it by any stretch, just dont know much about it outside of watching that sommelier doc on netflix. Always been kind of curious about that world.

Which offense can hit whats left of the pitching staff should make for an interesting game tonight. No lead will be safe and it may not be great baseball, but elimination games are always pretty cool.

ClarkUK's are on travel ban until the fall. AI resort in October, then winter break in Europe. But until then we need to shut it down and maybe read a couple Dave Ramsey books to get back in the black.

Last edited:
I had a somewhat active weekend, and CClark's write-up makes it feel lame by comparison. I actually had the Cards/Cubs series penciled in for a visit, but my employer decided I needed to move to Delaware.

Sucks about U2's decline; father time is a bitch. That whole thing really made me want to go to Chicago, though.

Saw U2 in the early 90s and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Bono sounded better live than on the records. Not sure I would want to see them again as it would be disappointing after seeing them at their peak.

Reactions: RibsAndWhiteBread
I've never given enough of a shit to think it through, but The Joshua Tree would crack my top 10 albums for sure. Great stuff every track of the way.

Reactions: RibsAndWhiteBread
Monday Randos:

63 Holes, Yard work, Pool, House Party, Saturday Date night, and a little grilling & DVR to wrap it all up last night. Pretty perfect summery, albeit busy, weekend.

-Shootouts in golf are so fun. Had ours yesterday, 21 people to start, 2 left standing on the final hole ...not quite Eli Barron participation from the galleries, but pretty close near the end. Shot 72 in the qualifier last week to gain entry, and ended up taking home home 3rd, which paid. Lost in chipoff on 18, before they went to the extra hole to determine the champion.

Wife rode with me, got hammered, and told me 'good job babe' after every shot no matter the result. She can actually see/follow 1 out of 4 of my shots now though, so that's progress.

Always found it interesting how watching a golf ball is a skill one must develop. Seems simple enough, but if there is one thing consistent among beginners and/or poor players -------------> they can't ever find their ball, and really don't even watch it. Guess they just assume it's going to be sitting out there on a tee around 280-300.

-LouVino Saturday night, first time. Was really good, cool vibe. I know Richie and many others aren't fans of the small plate style, but they don't play around. We had to cancel our last 2 and skip dessert. 'Crispy Shrimp and Grits' was a standout, but the winner was: .Fried chicken tacos, crispy chicken, garlic mash, cheddar, pepper gravy :fire: May and try and sell these for next family Thanksgiving so we can ditch the Bullshit boring ass standard menu. Anyways, great little date place - wife enjoyed the little wine flights, and they were reasonably priced.

-We Skip The Memorial this year, and my (everyone's?) fav Dufner takes it home. Typical, but great for him.

-The Warriors are just ridiculous. Mike Breen during one of their runs at Oracle (which happens about every 5 minutes it seems) is a pretty fun little treat.

-Finished up 'The Keepers'. It could have been condensed by an episode or two, but was very well done -- what a disturbing story :weary:. Won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it -- how badass are the two little ladies though? They pull more information than all of the cops & investigators over the years combined.

-Also on a Travel Ban, til September. :cry:

-70 days smoke free, haven't felt better in... honestly cannot remember when. :)

Last edited:
Always found it interesting how watching a golf ball is a skill one must develop. Seems simple enough, but if there is one thing consistent among beginners and/or poor players -------------> they can't ever find their ball,

Truth. I buy cheap balls and just accept that I'll lose them. I'm the most considerate newb on the course, though. If it takes more than a few minutes, I just drop in the fairway and keep going. Try to be subtle cause I can't have these strangers think I suck. No sir.

Life goals:

BBC06gP.img

Btw, I'm calling dibs on PJ Washington as my favorite player for next year.

Keep your mitts off, GYERO.

I call Quade. Lil Warrior is what he is.

I already hate Knox. That mfer is too big to be playing soft around the perimeter and not guarding anybody. JMHO.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Meh. Eff that. LeBron is better than Jordan. Nobody will ever admit it though. MJ was a grade-A asshole. We won't talk about that either. Bron is a decent person.

Why not just buy it on Amazon to begin with? Even without late fees, I'm sure you used more than $2 of time going to the library twice (if you hadn't lost it lol). Plus, even if you didn't like it, you just stack it on the bookshelf to make it look like you're a super genius with lots of books.

It's what separates us from the animals

I lost one I had checked out for a class- think they charged me whatever the book retailed for and a late fee for a couple of days until the new copy arrived... Ended up being costly bc academic text books are the most expensive things on the planet.

So, I checked out a book bc I couldnt afford to buy it in the book store. Lost the book, resulting in me ultimately having to buy the book I couldnt afford. And then I wasnt even able to keep the book.

Reactions: roguemocha
The public library crowd sure does have a lot of excuses, don't they? Very convenient.

My check's in the mail I just need a little bit 'til Fridy
My mommy's sick over at UK and I ain't got enough gas to get home to Hazard and pick up my sister
My house was torn asunder by the horrific beauty of mother nature's most awesome force

Sheesh. Always the same line

- Finished Bloodline last night. Season 3 is good but it just felt like it was all rushed together towards the end bc the producer & director originally wanted 6 seasons and only got 3. Oh well. What a great series.

- Had a solid weekend. Pool on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Grilled out on Saturday night and enjoyed some local crafties from MileWide. That place makes some unreal beer.

- The Warriors simply have way too many offensive weapons with Durant on that team. I want LeBron to win it but they're overmatched. It's still amazing to watch these dudes ball. Everything moves so fast and is totally in sync.

- College football is less than 90 days away. Haven't been more excited about and up & coming season since 09.

I'm trying to be catiously optimistic but our favorite white wide receiver from Louisville told a good buddy of mine at a wedding 2 weeks ago that "We're going to be scary good". I get that we're talking a college kid here but there seems to be an overflow of brash confidence with this bunch and also the staff for the first time since Stoops arrived. Whatever. I like it. UK football has nothing to lose so I enjoy the eat shit and kiss my ass vibes.

- When the Bat Cats win tonight we get to watch them at Jim Patterson with a chance to ruin UL's season and go to Omaha. Wood.

I have zero doubt that that guy's wife badgered him to mow the yard all week long and he was doing it then out of pure spite and hope for a swift reprieve from her hennery.
Related: My friend's dad was watching TV on a Saturday afternoon and his wife kept nagging about their chimney that was leaning and needed to be taken down. After few rounds of henpecking, he got up without saying a word and left the room. A few minutes later they heard the rumble of the tractor and the tumble of the chimney. He left it in the yard and came back in to continue watching his programs. Just livin' that line in the sand life, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT