ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Landed in Anchorage...not nearly as cold as I thought. Couple days here meeting with some people...then on to Fairbanks.

- Played football in high school with someone who lives in Fairbanks, talked with him this week. He loves it.

Maybe it'll suck, maybe it'll be great. It's two months of my life getting to work in a state I probably never would see otherwise...with a free apartment and company car.

- The only place I've really disliked was Arkansas...but still had fun and met good people.

- This and Michigan are totally different than what I was doing before. Working the otherside of politics. Nebraska, Texas, and Arkansas I had a team of petitioners who would go out during the day, then I would go out at night and schmooze state politicians.

These last two are election efforts and I'm in charge of the second biggest city in Alaska for all facets of the effort.

- I mean, a year ago I was teaching at a community college basically hating everything about it. Didn't like the city I was in, my job, in a shitty relationship, wasn't making much money, etc.

Had enough...dropped everything and a college buddy gave me a chance to put my Poli Sci degree to use. Best thing I ever did. I'm youngish, no kids, no wife...might as well see the country while I can...and if I find somewhere I love, I can always settle down there. Still have experience teaching, worst case scenario. Think I've found my calling though.

/CareerTalk

I mean, a year ago I was teaching at a community college basically hating everything about it. Didn't like the city I was in, my job, in a shitty relationship, wasn't making much money, etc.

Had enough...dropped everything and a college buddy gave me a chance to put my Poli Sci degree to use. Best thing I ever did.

I say this completely free of GYERO snark or sarcasm: Good for you.

Too many people sit around in comfortable misery for a steady paycheck. Well done grabbing the bull by the horns and making things happen.

I'm all for historic preservation but some people need to get over it when it comes to this 1950's bank in Lexington. $1.3 million to move a one story bank that no one cared about for years across a parking lot because it has a zig-zag roof and is turquoise... and now the project has been suspended (again)?

Put it in the hole.

Any one use SimpliSafe or have any good recommendations for an easy install home security system?

Any one use SimpliSafe or have any good recommendations for an easy install home security system?
We've had it for about 5 years now. Easy to setup and install and has worked well so far and I think it's about 20-25 bucks a month. I don't know how it compares to other systems but we've been pleased with it.

Reactions: Hankshaker
* Have had Simpli Safe for 3 1/2 years. Even my dumb ass figured out how to set it up in about 10 minutes, total. Have accidentally set it off probably 20 times, and they always call immediately. Have every reasonable entryway rigged up. $14.99/month. With the exception of adding a security camera or two, I'm just not sure why you would need much more.

* Speaking of jobs.....been hanging out with a lass who's a monkey vet. Her current job is injecting monkeys who are in their 3rd trimester with the zika virus, performing a c-section, then studying the babies once they're born. Yawn, imo.

* Reading lineup....

Bull Mountain = big fan. easy reader, and had a raylan givens/justified feel to it. about a rural georgia family's long history in the drug business.
Station Eleven = this one is great so far, and a little over halfway thru it. dystopian, apocalyptic novel that bounces around, time wise, telling various interconnected stories about before and after the fall of society.
Hillbilly Elegy = missed jd vance's interview with matt jones, but this is next on the list.
The Worlds Largest Man = just ordered it off amazon.

* I mean, the Cards are gonna beat FSU on Saturday, aren't they? Ugh. :flushed::flushed:

* Gonna spend about 3 weeks on the shelf to heal a little ankle/achilles soreness. Straight spinning and elliptical for this guy. Sans running, you can count on me being even more miserable than usual until October.

* Fairbanks has great public transportation:

Chris_McCandless.png

If I ever got a black chick pregnant and we had s son, I think I would name him Socrates or Aristotle. I don't feel I would have the freedom to do so if I had a son with a white chick. Something to ponder.

Thursday Shorts:

- I have no desire to even see Alaska, let alone live there. I know I'm in the minority on the "seeing it" part. Good luck, nonetheless, Thomas.

- Rewatching season 2 of "The Office." Hilarious. Man, the '00s were some good times.

- Very disappointed in Great Lakes Oktoberfest.

- Once again, "Atlanta" is tremendous in a kind of "Louie" sort of way- only hip-hop and appealing a tad more to mainstream.

- Puppies to BBdK- Netflix just canceled "Bloodlines." :cry:

- Bengals @ Steelers Sunday. Would like the Whodeys to send a message and give them douchebags a boot up the ass.

- College Football this weekend...:football::raised_hands::pray::clap::fistbump::cool2::cool::

Houston @ UC (tonight)
Ohio State @ Oklahoma
Michigan State @ Notre Dame
Florida State @ Louisville
Alabama @ Ole Miss
Texas A&M @Auburn 'Cat

I mean...o_O

-Question for GYERO... We are having about 20 Wisconsin friends down next month for the lass's 30th, and she wants to rent a party bus and tour some distilleries one afternoon. Anyone done anything like this and/or have any recs? Was just going to look into gold shield but figured I'd ask GYERO first.

Reactions: drxman1
-Question for GYERO... We are having about 20 Wisconsin friends down next month for the lass's 30th, and she wants to rent a party bus and tour some distilleries one afternoon. Anyone done anything like this and/or have any recs? Was just going to look into gold shield but figured I'd ask GYERO first.

I recommend that you drive that bus of Wisconsin scum into the Hole.

We hit Woodford, Four Roses and Wild Turkey for my buddy's birthday a few years back. His wife drove us and we drank the entire time. Here's my opinion:

It's not really a party type of event. You're not drinking during the tours until the end and it's just a tasting. So, you'd be partying on the bus, stopping the drinking for 45 minutes and then partying again, etc. That of course, kills your buzz and any partying vibe. Plus, all the tours are similar. You're hearing the same shit over and over again.

So, my advice- take them down to Woodford in the morning and then hit Keeneland. Woodford is gorgeous and gives the best tour near Lexington. Plus, it's smack dab in the middle of horse country so they'll get all that, too, on the way. Then, hit take the bus to Keeneland.

I just took the lass's family to Woodford and they loved it- got to see horse country- on our way home, there were about 20 horses out feeding maybe 20 feet from the road. It was a great scene.

-Great Lakes Oktoberfest is disappointing. Last night's 2 Miller Lites were delicious, though.

-Closing in fast on 90's Alternative Season, Chad. I am pretty pumped for that first taste of the delectable nectar that is Nirvana Unplugged on a chilly overcast Fall afternoon.

-Had to block my biggest adversary on twitter for the remainder of football season. I do feel a sense of hypocrisy for it, but I'm just not in the mood, frankly. I told him he'll be unblocked when basketball season comes.

-Started Stranger Things last night. I enjoyed, although it's a little heavier than I was ready for. I mean god damn, must every show involve the abduction/murder of a child these days? I know there are a handful out there, but I miss the full lineup of American sitcoms that just made you laugh for a couple hours Mon-Thurs. To name a few: Coach, Murphy Brown, Dear John, The Bob Newhart Show... Some golden years of television in the 80's and 90's.

-3 weeks tomorrow without a smoke. Here's the bitch of it: the lass didn't really know how much I was smoking (3-4 daily & chain-smoking Saturday night), so I can't really explain to her why I've been even more irritable these last few weeks. I mean I have not been pleasant to be around lately. She's about ready to murder me. Oh well. Feeling good about it, and hope this subsides soon.

-I'll be at the USC game next week. Pretty sure that will be the only home game I attend this season.

-Cards by 10.

-ROLLEYES at the Ali tribute in the endzone at PJCS. Good grief.

-River House for the lass' bday dinner tomorrow night. Haven't heard anything good about it, but she won't listen to me. Whatever. John Varanese sucks at his craft. TS.

* tOSU by 21

* Cards by 10

* Houston by 17

* Steelers by 10

* Cats 22k attendance announced as 39k. Maybe less depending on weather.

* All-time player reunion at BBM? I like it.

* Starting to actually love the new bball jerseys. We need to see them on a player and not lying there flat.

* Vegas in 2 weeks. My first time there. Marge refuses to even entertain the idea of going to Bunny Ranch for a 3-some. Bullshit.

* Cottage ham, geen beans and potatoes going in the crockpot right now. I'll make some jiffy corn muffins when I get home and profit.

* Is there a good chance our bike ride will disrupt Cards fans on their way to tailgate on Saturday? Excellent.

* Bush, Rubio or Kasich would be absolutely running away with this thing right now. And probably Biden, Bernie or just about anybody else on the other side. Terrible election.

* My "British Invasion" playlist going strong right now. Police, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Beatles, Coldplay, Duran Duran, Stones.

* College and NBA basketball LED boards and program ads keeping me busy this week. Its almost time, folks. :basketball::basketball::basketball::basketball::bomb::100points::cool2:

Louisville is going to boat race FSU and the weeks to follow are going to be absolute hell in the river city. Already mentally preparing for that.

Likely pulling the trigger on the Apple watch now that its built for swimming. Have been waiting on Garmin to drop the Fenix 4, but looks like that'll be mid '17. And that'll conclude tech stuff only two people in here care about.

With that slate of games and more importantly thunderstorms, O/U 40k in CWS?

Gotta admit, a 3 tv setup in the house now on Sunday makes NFL Sunday ticket worth the price. Red Zone on the 70", two local games on the wings. Only way to ingest the product, really.

I thought when Jon Gruden spoke openly about the Raiders not changing up their play calls after he left and thus getting obliterated in the Super Bowl 13 years ago, every team above pop warner made sure a snafu like that never happened? Or not.

Ali being associated with all things UofL is their Willy Mo Cardinal fan mentality coming through.

I installed it for my parents 2 months and I have to say it works great and was easy to install. My dad has a tendency to be a tight ass and when he told me about it I figured it would be a nightmare, but it was really simple to do. Id recommend it.

Reactions: Hankshaker
Solid playlist Willy, except for Coldplay. Actually listening to The Police right now myself.

It would be easy to hit Buffalo Trace (Frankfort) and Woodford Reserve (Versailles) then Keeneland or something in Lexington.

Reactions: GrandePdre
-Great Lakes Oktoberfest is disappointing. Last night's 2 Miller Lites were delicious, though.

-Closing in fast on 90's Alternative Season, Chad. I am pretty pumped for that first taste of the delectable nectar that is Nirvana Unplugged on a chilly overcast Fall afternoon.

-3 weeks tomorrow without a smoke. Here's the bitch of it: the lass didn't really know how much I was smoking (3-4 daily & chain-smoking Saturday night), so I can't really explain to her why I've been even more irritable these last few weeks. I mean I have not been pleasant to be around lately. She's about ready to murder me. Oh well. Feeling good about it, and hope this subsides soon.

- Oh, if I'm pounding and I'm still going the Miller Lite/High Life/Hudy Delight route. I just like a crafty every now and again.

- It's already here for me, boy. Oasis and Pearl Jam are already fat on my playlist. Nirvana will come as it gets even cooler.

- [laughing] How did you keep that from her? I'm not doubting your duplicity skills, but the smell isn't something that's easy to hide.

- I want to take the lass to her first UK football game...but she keeps piling on events to her already loaded fall schedule. Now, she has two separate groups of friends visiting in October- a month she's already stressed out about. smh

Reactions: SAECATFAN
Thursday Shorts:

- I have no desire to even see Alaska, let alone live there. I know I'm in the minority on the "seeing it" part. Good luck, nonetheless, Thomas.

- Rewatching season 2 of "The Office." Hilarious. Man, the '00s were some good times.

- Very disappointed in Great Lakes Oktoberfest.

- Once again, "Atlanta" is tremendous in a kind of "Louie" sort of way- only hip-hop and appealing a tad more to mainstream.

- Puppies to BBdK- Netflix just canceled "Bloodlines." :cry:

- Bengals @ Steelers Sunday. Would like the Whodeys to send a message and give them douchebags a boot up the ass.

- College Football this weekend...:football::raised_hands::pray::clap::fistbump::cool2::cool::

Houston @ UC (tonight)
Ohio State @ Oklahoma
Michigan State @ Notre Dame
Florida State @ Louisville
Alabama @ Ole Miss
Texas A&M @Auburn 'Cat

I mean...o_O

They are doing season 3 of Bloodlines, just not season 4. That's fine with me, they just couldnt let it end the way it did in S2.

-Got WS the Apple Watch not too long ago. She wears it sporadically.

-Yeah, you're not hiding smoke from anyone. She knows you're doing it. She may not know the quantity. Amazing how far away I can smell smoke. In my building I can tell if they're smoking in the warehouse. That's 3 doors and at least 50'. Looked at a car that a smoker drove for 3 months and I could smell it before I opened the door but the sales lady(smoker) said she didn't notice. I can tell if you're a smoker at 5' outdoors. There's no way to mask that smell from a non-smoker. Anyway, congrats on the accomplishment, great decision. Smoking is filthy disgusting and will kill you.

-Woodford and/or Buffalo Trace are booth great tours. Agree with wcc, a full day of that would get exhausting and be a buzzkill.

-Thanks to the mocking WS now feels the necessity to essentially live stream dinner with BBdk and SAE.

-Narcos has been excellent, Robot has been awful.

-Sushi sounds great.

-Kind of worried about the straglers at B2BC being out on those winding roads with the rain and drunk UL fans driving home. New jerseys are DOPE. Thanks, Willy.

-Currently I hate the jerseys. Maybe they'll look better on a jacked up Bam but I'm very skeptical.

-Pretty cool little streak of falling asleep around 1am this week. :confused:

Reactions: Joey Rupption
- Puppies to BBdK- Netflix just canceled "Bloodlines."

Shew, I thought you meant no season 3 to wrap things up. I threw up in my mouth a little before I looked it up. I may be in the minority, but I'm fine with finishing it up in one last season.

Reactions: roguemocha
My buddy's wife rented a party bus for a trip to Maker's for a Saturday afternoon. We had a blast. Hit up Old Talbott's Tavern on the way back for a few more bourbons. But I do like Chad's call on the Woodford ----> Keeneland route, tho. Makes a lot of sense.

- Folks are coming in town this weekend and dad asked me if I was planning on going to the game. Told him, 'no thanks' and he said, 'good'. Sad! Will definitely be on the Twitter device before the game for every beat reporter's respective 'CWS picture at kickoff'. The snarky comments will be a hoot. The competition for who takes best (saddest) picture will be intense.

- Took a bunch of Japanese to dinner the other night at Azur. Was a bit nervous being only white guy in the party but they have a knack for making you feel comfortable, despite the language barrier. Of course the fact they like to drink helps. The patio definitely delivered.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
We're going to keeneland too, just assumed that didn't need to be said when having out of town guests visit in October.

Planned to do buffalo, woodford, maybe 1 more. And I had made the same comment about the party bus not being the best idea for it... "Call and get party bus quotes."

Fast forward an hour. "Hey babe here's a screenshot of a post from wildcatchad on cats pause." "Ok, yeah I mean we will be partying at night so we should probably just take 3 cars of people."
So (seriously) thanks, Chad.

The problem with Sam Adams' Octoberfest & Great Lakes' version is that even though their lagers they too closely resemble heavier, malty red ales.

The best I've had is West 6th's DankeChain Oktoberfest. More of a true lager. Man, they're smooth. Light. Crisp. Perfect crafty for the end of summer/beginning of fall. Probably going to need at least 10 of them on Sat before I walk into CWS and watch that crap.

Buffalo -> Woodford -> Keeneland makes sense. I don't know where else you would really go that's not out of the way. Town Branch, I guess, but that's a lousy tour.

-I'll be at the game as quickly as I can make it from B2BC and consuming Bud Lights variety of normal draft American Beer. Hopefully several of them.

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest was excellent last fall. Apparently they partner with a different German brewery each year to make a different variation. Haven't had the 2016 offering yet.

Reactions: wcc31
- The Japanese supposedly love bourbon just as much as us Yanks, if not more so.

- I love Sam Adams' version. I didn't think Great Lakes was even close. My brother-in-law swears by Rhinegeist's Franz. I think it's solid, but not the best. I'll have to check out West 6th.

- Sometimes these September no-name shit games are the most fun. Went down like 4 years ago to party with Anth- it was the lightest tailgate I can remember. We tied one on nonetheless, barely went into the game, just hit a bunch of tailgates, thinks got fuzzy around dusk. Wake up the next day with a picture of Anth, Richie and I posing in front the old tailgate van obviously shitfaced and sillyeyed (van was then owned by @catholic_back) with our pants around our ankles. Don't ask me.

Also remember quite a few old school WCTGE events when Ursch's truck was one of the only cars in the yard and we were just getting bent getting ready to watch the Cats play a nobody with nothing on the line.

- So, no one thinks Florida State runs all over that Cardinal defense?

Reactions: catholic_back
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT