ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Village Drive.

I live about a block away from that hotel. It's very nice - but it's not really in La Jolla. The real La Jolla area is about a 15 minute drive away on some windy roads. But the city limits of La Jolla stretch up to here and grab a few hotels just so they can claim they're located in La Jolla. It's kinda misleading to outsiders. Downtown La Jolla is right on the coast and filled with banks, restaurants, art galleries, etc. This area is filled with condos, apartments, malls, hotels, restaurants, and right by UCSD's campus, so tons of college kids.

Anyway, like I said, very nice hotel, nice area, just not right by the water. The Raiders stayed there when they were in the Super Bowl in San Diego in 2003.

Let me know if you need/want directions or suggestions on things to do and see.

Sounds good.

Grandma lives on Coronado island so we will be over there a lot in the evenings.

Daytime will consist of Legoland, sea world, zoo, safari, USS Midway and a bunch of other shit.

Swing by the hotel and I'll buy a round if you are able..after kids are down.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. How many kids and how old? I would suggest exactly what you listed for kids. Plus Coronado is great - there's an area on Coronado with great views across the bay back into downtown. Then the ocean side of Coronado has the Hotel Del Coronado plus a long stretch of great beaches.

When you go to the zoo, leave a little while (even if just 30 minutes) to walk around the museums at Balboa Park (about 1/4 mile from the zoo entrance). Beautiful buildings, gardens, fountains,etc.

Also while you go to the USS Midway, alot a little time to walk along the bay there - great spot.

Also allow time to go to downtown La Jolla and do the 'coast walk' - a trail follows along the rocky coast with cliffs, where all the seals hang out. It smells like sh!t (literally), but it's a great spot.

If you're into golf you gotta see Torrey Pines. It's right on the coast on top of cliffs that are 200-300 feet over the beach. There's a hang glider port on the south side and a state park with walking trails on the north side.

Oh, one last thing: It can be cool here in June, even July. Our hot months are August and September. June and July are usually pretty hot & sunny if you go inland a few miles (80s and 90s just 5-10 miles inland), but along the coast it can be breezy and chilly (70s day, 60s night), often overcast. So bring jackets/windbreakers.

- Anyone have any recs on where to stay in San Diego? There's a ton of hotels to choose from but I don't know anything about the town. La Jolla area looks fun but some of the hotels look like 60's beach motels. Found the Paradise Point Resort/Spa to be more of a resort type place that the lass likes and doesn't look to be that far from La Jolla or downtown..

Kids or no?
Main areas for hotels are:
1) downtown - nice high rises, probably pricey, central location, close to airport
2) Hotel Valley/Mission Valley - just about 2-3 miles from downtown, tons of hotels, cheaper area, very congested
3) There are a couple of nice hotels along Mission Bay, as Bernie Sadori described.
4) The so-called La Jolla area where I live that has lots of nice hotels but is actually 3-5 miles from the real La Jolla coast town. You're right that the hotels that are actually in the little town of La Jolla are like 60's beach motels. Some people like that, some don't. The ones in my area are modern high-rise hotels.

Rock-Bottom-Brewery-Gaslamp-District-San-Diego-CA-540x405.jpg

San Diego has EVERYTHING.

San Diego has EVERYTHING.

And it's also just a couple of blocks from where the Hyatt where Bernie will be staying. Perfect.

(Sorry, PTI, for filling GYERO with something other than the sh*t that normally occupies this space in the summer. Next time I'll give a list of long stretches of pavement you can pound with nobody around to bother you.)

Actually, I'd suggest you recommend some trails to him. Out in San Diego last spring and last summer and was able to go run some of the trails out there. Absolutely beautiful.

I know you all laughed at me over my Bitcoin post last week, but Darren McFadden is suing a guy/group for losing almost 15M and half of it was due to Bitcoin tanking at some point.

Unreal honestly! I was totally unaware when I was told about it but to hear someone lost millions on it is sickening.

Reactions: Mashburned
If you get a chance, go play Mt. Woodson. Obviously not the destination course for where you're staying but it is a truly badass course that is worth the trip.

Seriously, krazy, is your head just totally in the sand. The Mt. Gox fiasco was all over the place a few years ago. It is slowly coming back. Financial institutions are now getting behind blockchain which is the transactional encryption standard being used for it as they want more control next time around.

Yeah kind of unreal this is all hitting krazy now. This was even posted on here in small segments and maybe we listen to completely different things but wow, discovering Bitcoin a couple weeks ago is pretty impressive.

I mean I don't jack about politics right now because 99% of people shut it out here and refuse to give a shit about it but it's like me saying, "You guys heard of this Trump fella? Real character this one, gonna build a wall and stuff."

In his defense, Bitcoin did double, or gained a lot, a few weeks back. However, he would have been way late to the party.

I mean Bitcoin sponsored a damn bowl game, which was a pretty big story. You have to be intentionally oblivious not to at least have heard of it before.

bitcoinbowl.jpg

Reactions: LadyCat92
Never really read KSR much until recently, for obvious reasons, so I never really understood your all's BTI references. After I read his post yesterday about how he'd prefer to go 2-10 in football, I now understand what you guys mean.

There aren't many more terrifying sounds than that of a tree cracking/falling

...in my case yesterday, it was just a huge branch portion atop an 80 foot Ash Tree, but I seriously thought a tree came down. Brought several neighbors out.

We have Fourteen (14) trees on the property over 40 feet, 5-6 70+, over half of them diseased (so we're told) ash or oak trees. Next house will have ZERO trees that aren't of the decorative nature. Sounds nice in principle maybe, but it's a severe and constant pain in the ass. :100points:

Recs/hookups appreciated for removal. Got 2 out summer '14, and feel like we may have gotten raped, dunno. That shit expensive AF.

Emerald Ash borer causing problems in my neighborhood as well. Thank god I don't have monster trees, that shit is expensive as hell.

I just had one treated, and it was like $10 per inch diameter of the tree. Fortunately its not very big, most of the other neighbors just went ahead, cut them down, and replaced with Dogwoods...but at like $600/tree.

Shew, puppies man.

Last edited:
We were told when we got the last 2 removed that it's a pretty severe problem around here...and this area is nothing but huge/mature trees all over the place. Apparently all of them are (or will) be diseased or dead if not treated properly, and for the majority, it's too late.

Maybe Rob can chime in w/ some expert advice, they're all just huge ass annoying trees to me. I have no idea which is which, just know they're all way too big to have on a residential lot, imo.

I have 7-8 large trees on my property as well. And it is indeed scary when a big branch falls, which is at least 1-2 times a year. With that said, big fan of mature trees.

Our yard has a row of about a dozen huge hemlock trees across the back of the lot, that basically make the backyard completely private. Plus, there's a really pretty ash tree in the middle of the backyard that provides a lot of shade on our deck. When we bought the house, those trees were one of our favorite things about it.

Last year, the ash got the emerald ash borer, and the hemlocks all got some sort of infestation, and they were all going to die and have to be cut down if we didn't treat them. So I got to spend about $2K last year treating trees. F'k trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT