ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

PLace in Gtown had a ton of sours when I was there and I just don’t like them . And while I’m a total pepper head I don’t like spicy brews , so nacho bait was ... meh ... country boy is flat out thin and watery to me . So ordinary . Never pass up Sixth sense brewery in Jackson Oh if traveling south of Columbus . Totally great .

Also when I judge breweries I always go at least twice before i rate them. Its crazy how different your opinion can be on the 2nd try. It's my favorite hobby for sure. It really means a LOT to me hearing all the brewery feedback from you guys.
I'll probably hit up the same 5 Lex breweries this coming November, and perhaps others. Really loved Ethereal. Blue Stallion and West Sixth also very good. Found Rock House at the old quarry to be rather unique.

Something about Country Boy simply rubbed me the wrong way. As previously stated, Nacho Bait is pretty darn good for the style, and I drank it canned 5 days after the visit. I spent 2 nights in Lex that weekend. Walked 3.5 miles from Days Inn out by I-75 to downtown. Gorgeous weather both days. Cats vs. Cards at Commonwealth. Place was packed when I visited, which may have factored in my opinion.

I have not been to rock house or pivot. I like nacho bait alot but I'm a big fan of smoked and pepper infused beers. Actually I like any beer that has a little spin on it or is infused with something. It just changes the dynamic. That's why I like nacho bait. Cougar bait is a solid blonde but to me blondes, pillsners, helles all taste similar at all breweries I go to. But when you infuse them it can change everything

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I try to go to brew
I'll probably hit up the same 5 Lex breweries this coming November, and perhaps others. Really loved Ethereal. Blue Stallion and West Sixth also very good. Found Rock House at the old quarry to be rather unique.

Something about Country Boy simply rubbed me the wrong way. As previously stated, Nacho Bait is pretty darn good for the style, and I drank it canned 5 days after the visit. I spent 2 nights in Lex that weekend. Walked 3.5 miles from Days Inn out by I-75 to downtown. Gorgeous weather both days. Cats vs. Cards at Commonwealth. Place was packed when I visited, which may have factored in my opinion.
I always try to go to popular breweries when they open so I can beat the crowds. It makes it easier.

I've been to life brewpub. Fantastic food. I got a french dip and fries.I went about a year ago. Nice place but they only had 4 beers of their own on tap. I also want to go to maiden brewery in Cynthiana and Rooster brewing in Paris on my way back to Lexington. Most importantly though Alexandria Brewing Company opens on April 21st and i will be there. It's about a quarter mile from where I live so I'm definitely excited. Definitely the best thing ever to happen to Alexandria in my mind

I went to Maiden City brewing in Cynthiana and Rooster brewing in Paris yesterday. Quick thoughts

Maiden- I didn't even know this place existed. This was a surprising nice brewery. They had 16 taps and 15 of their own on. I tried full samples of 8 beers. There was a bunch of solid offerings and a few crazy styles. They had a hazelnut coffee porter that was really good. I've had a bunch of different coffee beers and this one was different than the rest. They solid American pale with a bit of a Smokey finish. A Belgian wit was available as well. I nice light summer beer with hefe finish. Lastly they had 2 Braggot beers on tap. That's a very old school style I've only had once before. Super strong and almost like drinking wine. It's not for everyone but it was definitely a conversation piece. I think overall it is a spot I will go to again and I think they will do pretty well in the future.

Rooster brewing- A super small tap room in downtown Paris. A fun little spot. Very cozy. They only had 4 beers of their own but 6 other offerings on tap. I had a black lager that was pretty good their. Nice environment and a good spot to chill out and have a beer or two.

Couple beers sitting in my fridge right now. Hopslam is leftover from last month. Scored the KBS single for $6.72. 4-packs cost $22.99. Plan on enjoying the KBS soon. Nice seeing both finally offered in Texas this year.

31118167_10214988353002865_7822755837176843871_n.jpg

Ethereal is also good in my opinion but they have a lot of styles that I don't care for. I don't like farm house ales, Scottish ales, or ESB. I'm not a big imperial fan either. Mainly because I like to drink and not to sip.
You'd hate Wooden Cask in Newport. I love their brown ale and the guys from work plan a visit next Friday. Personally looking forward to a few of the above myself.

Reactions: BleedinBlue85
Couple beers sitting in my fridge right now. Hopslam is leftover from last month. Scored the KBS single for $6.72. 4-packs cost $22.99. Plan on enjoying the KBS soon. Nice seeing both finally offered in Texas this year.

31118167_10214988353002865_7822755837176843871_n.jpg
Do you ever taste the difference in a beer that's been on the shelf for a bit compared to one that hasn't? I always hear people say that over a few months certain beers will taste skunk after a few months. Especially ipas.

You'd hate Wooden Cask in Newport. I love their brown ale and the guys from work plan a visit next Friday. Personally looking forward to a few of the above myself.
It's funny you mention them because I've been to over 70 breweries and they have my least favorite beer out of all of them. That style is just painful for me to drink. I've been there 4 different times trying to adapt but it's just not happening which sucks because it is a nice place inside. If you are ever out that way you should try Braxton Labs or Streetside brewery. They are 2 of my top 6 breweries that I've been to.

Well today is the day that Alexandria Brewing Company has there grand opening and I will be there. I am so excited that I'm actually nervous

Do you ever taste the difference in a beer that's been on the shelf for a bit compared to one that hasn't? I always hear people say that over a few months certain beers will taste skunk after a few months. Especially ipas.
Yes, but a few factors relative to packaging come into play.

For years, I considered myself a diehard "bottle or nothing" kinda guy until researching beer bottle and can differences. Ideally, if one can't drink beer at the brewery, where the beer is in it's freshest state, then obtain a growler, take it home, and consume within a reasonably short time-frame. normally a couple days. Light, especially ultraviolet, threatens beer freshness due to interaction with hops. Therefore, cheap growlers are typically produced from dark brown glass rather than clear. Stoneware and aluminum growlers are also becoming more popular for beer containment..

Craft brewers understand as much. Many breweries switched to cans over bottles not only for portability and convenience reasons, but also UV light.

I've been burned a couple times over the past few years. I'll purchase older beer, which has sat on store shelves for months, but it must be canned.

Work-ViennaLager-700x700.jpg

Devil's Backbone Brewing, Lexington VA
Picked up a couple cans on my way through TN.
Pours out bubbly with a copper color. Smooth, nothing complex about the taste, would be good with pizza and wings.
I would say a sweeter version of SA Boston lager.
But for a $1.50 for a 16oz can I can't complain much, better than a can of Bud which bought a stake in the company.

Picked up Tampa Bay Brewing Co. Reef Donkey also, give it a taste later on.

Last edited:
Work-ViennaLager-700x700.jpg

Picked up a couple cans on my way through TN.
Pours out bubbly with a copper color. Smooth, nothing complex about the taste, would be good with pizza and wings.
I would say a sweeter version of SA Boston lager.
But for a $1.50 for a 16oz can I can't complain much, better than a can of Bud which bought a stake in the company.

Picked up Tampa Bay Brewing Co. Reef Donkey also, give it a taste later on.

Had a reef donkey. Not bad

It's funny you mention them because I've been to over 70 breweries and they have my least favorite beer out of all of them. That style is just painful for me to drink. I've been there 4 different times trying to adapt but it's just not happening which sucks because it is a nice place inside. If you are ever out that way you should try Braxton Labs or Streetside brewery. They are 2 of my top 6 breweries that I've been to.
Never said Wooden Cask is my favorite but sure if you can't find a single beer you like, by all means try someplace else. I can drink some of their ales no problem and I will be happy to do so again. If I were to rank the local breweries, at the bottom might be Darkness even though it's closest to me and although I really love the dark malty type beers. Certainly Braxton, Woodburn, Mad Tree and 50 West are some of the best locally afaic. Streetside is good too but I also miss Blank Slate which closed down the street from them.

Yes, but a few factors relative to packaging come into play.

For years, I considered myself a diehard "bottle or nothing" kinda guy until researching beer bottle and can differences. Ideally, if one can't drink beer at the brewery, where the beer is in it's freshest state, then obtain a growler, take it home, and consume within a reasonably short time-frame. normally a couple days. Light, especially ultraviolet, threatens beer freshness due to interaction with hops. Therefore, cheap growlers are typically produced from dark brown glass rather than clear. Stoneware and aluminum growlers are also becoming more popular for beer containment..

Craft brewers understand as much. Many breweries switched to cans over bottles not only for portability and convenience reasons, but also UV light.

I've been burned a couple times over the past few years. I'll purchase older beer, which has sat on store shelves for months, but it must be canned.
IPA's might be the exception and will tend to last much longer than less hoppy beers as well. They're called India Pale Ale's for a reason.To retain freshness, barrels were sealed with a layer of hops on top before ships sailed to India.

Well today is the day that Alexandria Brewing Company has there grand opening and I will be there. I am so excited that I'm actually nervous
I know the area. About 15-20 mins south. I'm a little reluctant without a DD. Cops tend to hang out at the Speedway quite often as I noticed when driving back from basketball trips to Lexington.

IPA's might be the exception and will tend to last much longer than less hoppy beers as well. They're called India Pale Ale's for a reason.To retain freshness, barrels were sealed with a layer of hops on top before ships sailed to India.
Very true and great point. In the old days, IPAs were also stored in barrels. No UV contamination. Hops and slightly higher-than-normal ABV are also factors. A greater proportion of wort during the era was also well-fermented. During the early 1800, brewers also shipped porters across the world with good results.

One notable contemporary example are the many Stone "Enjoy after XX.XX.XX" styles. Stone recommends storing these styles for full flavor. Stored a bottle in TN at my ex in-laws during November, 2016. Drank a year later after cooling. Solid. Such brews nearly always please. If beer is stored responsibly, and conditions are reasonable (darkness, cool and not cold), then outcomes usually turn out good.

Very true and great point. In the old days, IPAs were also stored in barrels. No UV contamination. Hops and slightly higher-than-normal ABV are also factors. A greater proportion of wort during the era was also well-fermented. During the early 1800, brewers also shipped porters across the world with good results.
Never been much of a Stout guy but man I love those Porters. Less coffee tasting the better I guess otherwise I can't explain it.

One notable contemporary example are the many Stone "Enjoy after XX.XX.XX" styles. Stone recommends storing these styles for full flavor. Stored a bottle in TN at my ex in-laws during November, 2016. Drank a year later after cooling. Solid. Such brews nearly always please. If beer is stored responsibly, and conditions are reasonable (darkness, cool and not cold), then outcomes usually turn out good.
Those are great. I've bought many a 22 and they do last forever and sold me on the idea basically. How about that? Wow!

Never said Wooden Cask is my favorite but sure if you can't find a single beer you like, by all means try someplace else. I can drink some of their ales no problem and I will be happy to do so again. If I were to rank the local breweries, at the bottom might be Darkness even though it's closest to me and although I really love the dark malty type beers. Certainly Braxton, Woodburn, Mad Tree and 50 West are some of the best locally afaic. Streetside is good too but I also miss Blank Slate which closed down the street from them.
Woodburn is my favorite currently. Love that place. Great variety of options and very creative. 50 west is a great spot too. Great beers and an even nicer setup. Canoeing and beach volleyball are fun options. The food is really damn food as well. Plus they run deals on Sunday which is nice. Mad tree is awesome but ALWAYS packed. It's probably INSANE how much money they pull in.

Reactions: jameslee32
I know the area. About 15-20 mins south. I'm a little reluctant without a DD. Cops tend to hang out at the Speedway quite often as I noticed when driving back from basketball trips to Lexington.
Yeah cops are everywhere here. I will say that Alexandria Brewing Company was a really cool place. Nice layout and a good food option. They have 7 of their own beers on right now. I had a pint of their session black ipa and their new England ipa. My gf had their kentucky common. All 3 were well above average I think. They have a Belgium double and 2 Russian imperial stouts that I have to try. I'm going back Tuesday to try the rest. They have guest taps on and in a few months they will have 12 to 14 of their own on tap. Very friendly staff and the brewers do the bartending which I like. They went through a lot of obstacles to get this place going so I'm really happy for them

Woodburn is my favorite currently. Love that place. Great variety of options and very creative. 50 west is a great spot too. Great beers and an even nicer setup. Canoeing and beach volleyball are fun options. The food is really damn food as well. Plus they run deals on Sunday which is nice. Mad tree is awesome but ALWAYS packed. It's probably INSANE how much money they pull in.
No doubt a goldmine now at the giant new location off Madison Rd.

I went for IPA's at Wooden Cask. One that I really liked was a 8.6% tasty one called Citrannati. It's only available at the brewery. If you didn't like that one, I don't know what to tell ya. I should have tried more brown/scottish ales but I'll be back. Yet we're talking about a trip to Urban Artifact next. One of the guys at work lives in Northside.

No doubt a goldmine now at the giant new location off Madison Rd.

I went for IPA's at Wooden Cask. One that I really liked was a 8.6% tasty one called Citrannati. It's only available at the brewery. If you didn't like that one, I don't know what to tell ya. I should have tried more brown/scottish ales but I'll be back. Yet we're talking about a trip to Urban Artifact next. One of the guys at work lives in Northside.
I like Urban Artifact. Crazy beer and even crazier venue. You have to like sours though. If you don't it's a tough go. They have some of the best sours though. A bunch of different ones. Overall though what they offer is different than any other brewery. Brink is my favorite spot in that area. They have a nice place and Some awesome beers. Cheers my friend

ADVERTISEMENT