ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

I had it at on Guest Tap at Sixth Sense brewery in Jackson Oh . It was there Sat night . It has the perfect flavors of apple pie shine with a slight bourbon flavor . Worth the trip .. 6th Sense is ass kicking good , marg's with house brewed triple sec also.

Well, funny story, my wife is a teacher in Louisville, so for her impromptu day off, I had her snag me a 4 pack this morning when a local liquor store opened. Then we came to hopcat who had a keg tap at 5 and had a few. It’s pretty good. After 3, it’s really damn good! Anyway, I like it.

I've always wanted to go. I heard great things about the beer and food. Is the music really that loud?
The music is loud but not like so loud you can't think or have a conversation with the people you're with. And it's metal...so hope you like metal. But if you don't..don't let that stop you from going. the food and beer will be worth it for sure. Cheers

bdg_NationalBeerDay2018_lg.jpg

Reactions: Willy4UK
I have only been by there in the evening on a weekend and it was so crowded you could barely drive by because of people waiting and hanging around. Is it bad during the week or a weekend afternoon? I hear they have interesting stuff but I'm not willing to do that much crowd.

Actually it’s not bad at all during the week. I’ve been there on a weekday and a weekend afternoon and there was plenty of seating available. The Friday of the KBS release, it wasn’t bad either. I got there around 5:30 and there were plenty of seats. By the time I left around 7 it was pretty busy though. But in my experience, during the week it’s never been crowded like on weekend nights where it’s hard to even walk around.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Tried Ethereal's- The Admiral (ESB) over the weekend. Was a pretty good knock off of Fuller's ESB (one of my favorite English ales). Went really well with my bacon & pimento cheese burger at Red Hog in Louisville. I had never heard of these guys out of Lexington. Good effort. B+

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Tried Ethereal's- The Admiral (ESB) over the weekend. Was a pretty good knock off of Fuller's ESB (one of my favorite English ales). Went really well with my bacon & pimento cheese burger at Red Hog in Louisville. I had never heard of these guys out of Lexington. Good effort. B+
Ethereal is the best brewery in Lex. Visited this past November. Great stuff.

I've been unimpressed by Country boy , Went to rather large one in Gtown last week . Cant say I really thought anything was impressive and several were awful .

I've been unimpressed by Country boy , Went to rather large one in Gtown last week . Cant say I really thought anything was impressive and several were awful .
Not a fan either. Shotgun Wedding has ZERO finish. Cougar bait is mediocre at best. I gave up on them after that.

I really like W6 IPA and Christmas Ale but Pennyrile tasted like onions to me.... not a fan.

Didn’t like the Christmas Ale. I wanted to but didn’t. I thought it would be like Sierra Nevada’s Celebration IPA so I was disappointed.

Don’t like Country Boy. Ethereal and West Sixth are good local breweries though.

Didn’t like the Christmas Ale. I wanted to but didn’t. I thought it would be like Sierra Nevada’s Celebration IPA so I was disappointed.

Don’t like Country Boy. Ethereal and West Sixth are good local breweries though.
Ethereal? Why have I never seen (or maybe noticed) this one? I'll have to look out for it.

Drank 2 from Country Boy: Nacho Bait and Survive. Actually drank Survive at the brewery last November. Not at all impressed. Of the five Lexington breweries I visited during Nov 25-26 last year, Country Boy ranks worst. Beer tolerable, but just a crappy atmosphere.

Nacho Bait was fairly good, in my opinion, but I also enjoy spicy beers paired with certain foods.

I'm a big fan of country boy. I've been to over 70 different breweries and it ranks amunngst the best I've been too. I think they have the most options in Lexington. I believe around 20 taps of their own. I like cliff jumper, nacho bait, and some of their sours. I like the variety of styles that they have. It fits my pallet more. Ethereal is also good in my opinion but they have a lot of styles that I don't care for. I don't like farm house ales, Scottish ales, or ESB. I'm not a big imperial fan either. Mainly because I like to drink and not to sip. They have some really good options but they change their beer menu a bunch. I've been there 4 times and it was completely different each time. Not a problem but hard to get a good feel for the place that way. I think country boy was the best and West 6th second. I like ethereal and blue stallion equally for 3rd. When I go to a brewery I normally drink a full sample of every beer a place has and then drink a pint or 2 of my favorite one. I actually love that my opinion of a place is way different than someone elses. It what makes going to breweries so great. What tastes good to me could be awful for others and vice versa.

Last edited:
Also when I judge breweries I always go at least twice before i rate them. Its crazy how different your opinion can be on the 2nd try. It's my favorite hobby for sure. It really means a LOT to me hearing all the brewery feedback from you guys.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT