ADVERTISEMENT

Good YouTube video on Cal from neutral fan

Not surprising, how many times have you heard Cal is a great recruiter but not a great X and O coach ? It will get worse before it gets better imo, until if ever he starts making offensive and defensive changes during the game we will continue to struggle. With his salary and contract we are stuck in the middle. He was great for half his career here, the last half I could have done without.

Reactions: Gus Polinski
is this the view of the outside world?
UK a laughing stock of college basketball
over 100 years of tradition, down the crapper by this arrogant non coach

This movie scene through like 1:30 feels like where we are right now. Trying to slow things down and avoid disaster but fail and everything collapses. Then realizing we haven't hit rock bottom yet and the worst is possibly still to come.

I have a really good friend that is a big VaTech fan. He regularly points out how "these just aren't the same KY teams from the early Cal days. Y'all were so much bigger, strong, faster at every position than everyone."

As simplistic as that sounds, thats what many of us are saying. We aren't getting the same elite talent and hoarding it like we were early on and Cal hasn't proven to be able to win big with traditional looking rosters. I've said it over and over, Cal can play the style he wants but if he is going to do that, recruit to that system. Get guards that are 6'5+, make sure you have length and a shot blocker at the 4 or 5 and get an athletic Randle/Jones type to compliment it opposite of the 4/5. Be BIG, play Bully Ball, Dominate the glass and defensive end, Drive and finish over ppl through contact and shoot a ton of free throws.

^^^^^That can still work even if it is ugly to watch. The issue is he would have to give up his pursuit of chasing #1 recruiting classes and prioritizing the NBA guys and recruit to the style he wants. If its a top30 recruit and NBA potential guy that fits that system then great....a lot of the springy 7 footers do and tall guards. But what we have been doing is just recruiting based on stars and trying to fit the pieces together afterwards....without getting the top 5 guys that truly fit the elite athlete mold Cal prefers.

Every great coach has one of these moments. It is obvious people are upset but I believe the outrage is a bit over done here.

I have a really good friend that is a big VaTech fan. He regularly points out how "these just aren't the same KY teams from the early Cal days. Y'all were so much bigger, strong, faster at every position than everyone."

As simplistic as that sounds, thats what many of us are saying. We aren't getting the same elite talent and hoarding it like we were early on and Cal hasn't proven to be able to win big with traditional looking rosters. I've said it over and over, Cal can play the style he wants but if he is going to do that, recruit to that system. Get guards that are 6'5+, make sure you have length and a shot blocker at the 4 or 5 and get an athletic Randle/Jones type to compliment it opposite of the 4/5. Be BIG, play Bully Ball, Dominate the glass and defensive end, Drive and finish over ppl through contact and shoot a ton of free throws.

^^^^^That can still work even if it is ugly to watch. The issue is he would have to give up his pursuit of chasing #1 recruiting classes and prioritizing the NBA guys and recruit to the style he wants. If its a top30 recruit and NBA potential guy that fits that system then great....a lot of the springy 7 footers do and tall guards. But what we have been doing is just recruiting based on stars and trying to fit the pieces together afterwards....without getting the top 5 guys that truly fit the elite athlete mold Cal prefers.
His recruiting reminds me of how I used to play NCAA Football when I was a kid. I didn't know all that much about positions and style of play, so I would just start from the top of the ratings list and recruit every 5 star that showed interest. It works in a video game on easy mode. Not so much in real life.

“Neutral fan”

I can tell from the first 30 seconds he’s a fan of some random SEC school and probably has a bone to pick with Cal. No thanks.

He actually doesn’t. His videos are fairly accurate and neutral actually. He didn’t speak of C3 in any different way he does anyone else.

You guys have to stop convincing yourselves everyone’s out to get Calipari. His downfall is purely his own.

Every great coach has one of these moments. It is obvious people are upset but I believe the outrage is a bit over done here.
Not really. Cal doesn’t run an offense nor does he make adjustments (ever). If both of those do not change then our last two years will be the norm. Cal thinks he’s smarter than everyone so he has no plans to change.

This is spot on. Cal’s system, such as it is, only works when he has superior talent all over the floor? Why? It’s simple. He relies on his players to be physically superior to the opponents. Bigger, faster, quicker. That way they can just physically dominate their man. It’s all man on man. When he doesn’t have that type of advantage, his players can’t get to the rim at will, can’t protect the rim, can’t stay in front of their man on defense, etc. It’s beyond obvious to anyone that pays attention. We still get good players but not dominate players. As a result, we can still win a lot of games but we’re vulnerable, especially against certain types of teams. His “system” will work, but only with those physical advantages which we do not have any longer.

LMAO you do realize the dozen or so troll socks that have appeared in the last 10 days are all Cal sycophants right? If anybody's fake it's you guys.
Y’all have run off the rational fans with the extreme talk that Cal sucks ass. What’s left is what this board is now, where every thread somehow devolves into Cal is a POS who is poison and should be fired yesterday. It’s embarrassing but y’all have at it.

Y’all have run off the rational fans with the extreme talk that Cal sucks ass. What’s left is what this board is now, where every thread somehow devolves into Cal is a POS who is poison and should be fired yesterday. It’s embarrassing but y’all have at it.

You’re okay, we’ve talked for a long time. You’re no Sock.

Having said that I think you follow football much closer right?

Do you know why I personally want Calipari out? Because I believe he’s detrimental to the program. This goes beyond wins and losses, even if wins help relieve these issues for the moment. Now you don’t have to agree with that but I feel the evidence is overwhelming. Also growing apathy is a death nail to business principles especially this kind of industry where 20 years from now is considered as much as tomorrow. Calipari is bad and risky for this program and university.

The good news is UK is in trouble with personnel so he will most definitely have to settle and leave by the end of next season. The buyout will be around 45 million and he’ll take a check for half that and resign. We’re filthy rich 20 million doesn’t mean shit to this university. There’s no way he holds on. The hits he’s taking from every direction are about to hurt his recruiting and it’s too much pressure.

Not really. Cal doesn’t run an offense nor does he make adjustments (ever). If both of those do not change then our last two years will be the norm. Cal thinks he’s smarter than everyone so he has no plans to change.
Been saying this since 2015
He is a bad bench coach and now his only positive, recruiting is falling

Reactions: crashtestdummy
No since in complaining about it honestly. He could miss the tournament next year and still have his job. We just have to hope he actually changes or we are in for a long ride the next 5 years.

Exactly right. He only looks at their ranking. And you cannot start 5 boys straight out of HS and expect to go far unless you have a Davis type, maybe. We had the rt. Mixture this past yr and the coach screwed it up.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT