ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s defense

Cal has been behind the curve on the defensive side of the ball for awhile, culminating in this season's atrocity. Here are the final adj. defensive rankings for all Cal's teams, starting from 2010:

2010 - 6
2011 - 16
2012 - 7
2013 - 88*
2014 - 32
2015 - 1
2016 - 39
2017 - 7
2018 - 22
2019 - 8
2020 - 52
2021 - 35
2022 - 36
2023 - 68
2024 - 74

*Was ranked about in the 20's pre Noel injury.

Through the 2019 season, Cal had just 2 teams finish ranked outside of the top 30 in defensive efficiency if Noel's injury is considered. From 2020 on, every single team has ranked outside of the top 30. Our defensive issue is deeper than the roster. There are some fundamental features that are broken in our current approach.

It makes it an odd complaint. Teams usually shoot worse when faced with Cal's defense. Complainers memories are at fault.
Every team we have faced in the SEC has hit their conference season high of made 3’s against us with the exception of Georgia. Must get very tired being a cal apologist. Not sure I’ve ever seen you post anything that wasn’t in defense of cal in someway.

I totally agree. Also look how often they leave their feet to block a shot and are susceptible to shot fakes. Obviously if it was a point of emphasis it wouldn’t still be happening this late into the season. Basic fundamental basketball - sad to see a 9 million a year coach can’t see it. And people think we will win a Nat with him. 🤣

I totally agree. Also look how often they leave their feet to block a shot and are susceptible to shot fakes. Obviously if it was a point of emphasis it wouldn’t still be happening this late into the season. Basic fundamental basketball - sad to see a 9 million a year coach can’t see it. And people think we will win a Nat with him. 🤣
It is what it is, there is no statistic for points scored after defender flies past 3 pt. shot fake.

He coaches them to sag into the paint to protect the rim at all costs .... and as the game has evolved, the cost of doing that is giving up more threes than ever, as coaches growing up in the generation after Cal fell in love with bombing away from deep.

Reactions: crestcat
I will say if you watch the NBA then our NBA prospects should fit in perfectly with the way defense is played at the next level in today's game.

Reactions: NociHTTP
A lot of posters were on Reed pretty hard for his defense on 3’s. If you think about all of the games Cal has coached since he has been here, our guards have always been sprinting out (too late) to cover open 3point shooters. It’s been a pet peeve of mine since Cal’s been here.
I am not sure Cal either understands the basics of a good man to man or just doesn't care.

Reactions: cathouse
Too bad he didn’t mention it in the timeout he didn’t call

If we need to call a timeout to tell players that a team is down by 3 give them the two but guard the 3, then we have much bigger problems than that one play lol.

This seems to coincide with a rim protector in the middle. With Ugo now, we should be funneling them inside the 3 point line. If you listen to other SEC coaches talk about UK this season, that is their game plan as well due to our good three point shooters. Please adapt Cal!

Reactions: crestcat
Cal has been behind the curve on the defensive side of the ball for awhile, culminating in this season's atrocity. Here are the final adj. defensive rankings for all Cal's teams, starting from 2010:

2010 - 6
2011 - 16
2012 - 7
2013 - 88*
2014 - 32
2015 - 1
2016 - 39
2017 - 7
2018 - 22
2019 - 8
2020 - 52
2021 - 35
2022 - 36
2023 - 68
2024 - 74

*Was ranked about in the 20's pre Noel injury.

Through the 2019 season, Cal had just 2 teams finish ranked outside of the top 30 in defensive efficiency if Noel's injury is considered. From 2020 on, every single team has ranked outside of the top 30. Our defensive issue is deeper than the roster. There are some fundamental features that are broken in our current approach.
Exactly. One would think it would be time to adjust but not Cal. If something is broken you’re supposed to fix it!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CatPhight
Defense is a frame of mind, you gotta like it, or you'll just be average. Most players and fans look at the offensive side to judge a player. Growing up all the young players on get token coaching on defense. A prime example is this years team, commenting how fun this team is this year, lots of scoring. If we were scoring 60-65 points a game and only a loss or two, they wouldn't be as fun to watch.

Years ago a team that had a reputation of run and gun with a winning tradition hired a coach that slowed them way down. People bitched about him, his style of play and low scoring offense. He was successful going deep into the tourney often. He was fired after 4 years, afterwards he won multi championships at a couple other high schools in KY. Yes, he taught tough defense, took the competition out of their norm, they couldn't score at will. The games were very low score because of their D and wore the other team down. They just didn't lose close games. The team that fired him, which ruled their region, hasn't been to the state in years.

I love when people quote stats that ignore that actual teams involved. Sure, an overall poor percentage may exist in opponents because you are including the early season bunnies, teams that didn't need to take 3's to beat us, etc. However, a blind man can see we allow our opponents this season to play their offense in comfort, do nothing to change tempo, allow them to play within their rhythm, do that same lousy switching defense that Cal has used forever with minimal double teams of the guards, no press, no nothing else.

Given some of the weak opponents we played this year earlier on, an elite highly rated skilled team of players like we have this season ranked 74th in adjusted defense should be horrifying to any sane person. My understanding is Cal is in charge of defense (and he certainly talks that way). So, it's on him.

Reactions: CatPhight
That doesn’t change the fact that it is Cal’s MO
I mean

We can gripe about Calipari for a lot of things. We've had some really good defensive teams.

Bringing Cal up while discussing Reed's failures in the last game doesn't make sense to me. Reed was caught ball watching and standing way off from his man at the end of the game. I don't believe Cal coaches them up to fall asleep on the play. That's a player losing focus.

In OT, headband gave the ball up and kept running. Reed quit running as soon as he gave up the ball. Open 3 given up again. I just don't buy that Cal coaches Reed to stop following his man because he gives the ball up. Reed was probably tired and again, lost focus.

I don't hate Reed or feel anger towards him. But his defensive lapses are on him.

Yet teams have shot less than 30% from 3 over Cal’s time here.

Maybe find another whine?
47675dd0-432d-46fe-b66b-c7cd918713ff_text.gif

S4s6m8i.png

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I mean

We can gripe about Calipari for a lot of things. We've had some really good defensive teams.

Bringing Cal up while discussing Reed's failures in the last game doesn't make sense to me. Reed was caught ball watching and standing way off from his man at the end of the game. I don't believe Cal coaches them up to fall asleep on the play. That's a player losing focus.

In OT, headband gave the ball up and kept running. Reed quit running as soon as he gave up the ball. Open 3 given up again. I just don't buy that Cal coaches Reed to stop following his man because he gives the ball up. Reed was probably tired and again, lost focus.

I don't hate Reed or feel anger towards him. But his defensive lapses are on him.
You do know the guy Reed was responsible for guarding hit 7 wide open 3s? Have you noticed how often the other teams get wide open looks this season? It’s just like this will be the 10th year with no FF. At some point you have to say enough is enough and admit Cal is the problem on so many levels. Please leave Cal so we can get back to Kentucky basketball.

I mean

Well, why didn’t Cal have all five at the three point line? Why didn’t he have them foul before they got an opportunity to shoot a three? Why the hell were we in that position anyway?…..because The $9,000,000 man is our coach.

I mean

Yes we have had some good defensive teams under Cal, but for the last four or five years they have sucked. The more college basketball teams shoots threes the worse we get, coincidence?

Every team we have faced in the SEC has hit their conference season high of made 3’s against us with the exception of Georgia. Must get very tired being a cal apologist. Not sure I’ve ever seen you post anything that wasn’t in defense of cal in someway.
Why would you pay attention to web aliases?

I have a saltines and braunschweiger post over in the Paddock. I'm curious** how you'd make that a pro-Calipari comment.

**I'm not really. That was for the joke.

Why would you pay attention to web aliases?

I have a saltines and braunschweiger post over in the Paddock. I'm curious** how you'd make that a pro-Calipari comment.

**I'm not really. That was for the joke.

I don’t hang out in the paddock at all, used to visit the political thread from time to time but haven’t been there lately. Cal apologist are few and far between here at this stage so they are pretty easy to keep up with.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Well, why didn’t Cal have all five at the three point line? Why didn’t he have them foul before they got an opportunity to shoot a three? Why the hell were we in that position anyway?…..because The $9,000,000 man is our coach.
Dude.

Do the players at ANY OTHER SCHOOL have to be told to guard the 3 point line with a 3 point lead and 10 seconds to go?

Cal should have fouled up 3. No disagreement. But how basic does he have to make it for Reed Sheppard and others to succeed?

Do they know to dribble? Do they know to rebound? All the players everywhere else understand to guard the 3 point line in that situation. That shouldn't require 1 iota of coaching.

Dude.

Do the players at ANY OTHER SCHOOL have to be told to guard the 3 point line with a 3 point lead and 10 seconds to go?

Cal should have fouled up 3. No disagreement. But how basic does he have to make it for Reed Sheppard and others to succeed?

Do they know to dribble? Do they know to rebound? All the players everywhere else understand to guard the 3 point line in that situation. That shouldn't require 1 iota of coaching.
All 5 were off the 3 point line, I’d say that’s on the coach

All 5 were off the 3 point line, I’d say that’s on the coach

I don't understand the argument that "they didn't already know the most basic premise of guarding a 3 point lead" so that's on Calipari. Seems like kids in high school know that.

Again, does he need to remind them to dribble? Does he need to remind them to try to get rebounds when someone misses a shot? At some point, there's some degree of basic basketball knowledge that is expected. And a coach shouldn't have to remind kids "Hey, don't give up a 3 here."

And again, the ultimate failure here was Reed Sheppard falling asleep. He wasn't even looking at his man. But, that's on the coach.

Cal does a lot that deserves criticism. This wasn't on him. I know, I know, your precious Reed Sheppard is never at fault.

A lot of posters were on Reed pretty hard for his defense on 3’s. If you think about all of the games Cal has coached since he has been here, our guards have always been sprinting out (too late) to cover open 3point shooters. It’s been a pet peeve of mine since Cal’s been here.
Wonder about that % since 2015. I bet much worse. They are an awful defensive team last 6 or 7 years. Can’t ever adjust in game.

I don't understand the argument that "they didn't already know the most basic premise of guarding a 3 point lead" so that's on Calipari. Seems like kids in high school know that.

Again, does he need to remind them to dribble? Does he need to remind them to try to get rebounds when someone misses a shot? At some point, there's some degree of basic basketball knowledge that is expected. And a coach shouldn't have to remind kids "Hey, don't give up a 3 here."
You don’t understand that? It’s really pretty simple, team generally lplay like the coach tells them. If they come down below the three point line then the coach hollers “no three pointers, no three pointers “. You got that?

You don’t understand that? It’s really pretty simple, team generally lplay like the coach tells them. If they come down below the three point line then the coach hollers “no three pointers, no three pointers “. You got that?
I've asked it 3 times, but you won't answer:

Does he need to tell them to dribble? Does he need to tell them to try to get rebounds? Does he need to tell them to try to shoot at our own basket?

Are they really so dumb that they don't understand to guard the 3 point line unless the coach tells them? That's just such a ridiculous argument to me.

I’d love to get paid to just say “you gotta fight”, “rebound with two hands” and “smile, have fun out there”

Kentucky plays defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT