ADVERTISEMENT

Good win last night

I agree...it was a good win and a necessary win. However, we should have won by 10-15. The 3-5 min stretch with 10 minutes left in the game and us up 10pts nearly cost us the game.

We were a steal away from losing. I haven't seen that mentioned much but at the end of the game the ball was stolen by LSU in their press and would have resulted in an uncontested layup or getting fouled for them to take the lead. Fortunately, the LSU player's foot touched the end line. So yes good win and lucky. Slowing the ball down was OK, slowing the ball down and waiting until under 10 in the shot clock was not good coaching strategy.

One other thing, as good as Wheeler played for most of the game, he can't hit a free throw at the end when it matters.

I agree...it was a good win and a necessary win. However, we should have won by 10-15. The 3-5 min stretch with 10 minutes left in the game and us up 10pts nearly cost us the game.
Great point about that stretch. None more important than up 7 with 8 to play. Cason misses a 3, Oscar offensive rebound, Cason misses another 3. Instead of hitting one and going up 10 again, LSU gets the ball and a bucket to draw within 5. Next shot? Another missed Cason 3 and KJ hits a 3 to get within 2 with all of BBN getting nervous.

Reactions: chroix
A decent win but we need to be honest here. Saying LSU is a "really good" team is a stretch. LSU is 70th according to KenPom. That team last night was essentially like beating an above average Murray St. team. Don't get too excited yet. Saturday is the real test.

We were a steal away from losing. I haven't seen that mentioned much but at the end of the game the ball was stolen by LSU in their press and would have resulted in an uncontested layup or getting fouled for them to take the lead. Fortunately, the LSU player's foot touched the end line. So yes good win and lucky. Slowing the ball down was OK, slowing the ball down and waiting until under 10 in the shot clock was not good coaching strategy.

One other thing, as good as Wheeler played for most of the game, he can't hit a free throw at the end when it matters.
We were certainly fortunate to win as you mentioned in addition to Wheeler's banked 3 and Toppin's line drive 3. The flip side is that LSU hit a lot of tough buckets on good defense. We should have made the front end of the 1-1 and closed the game out.

Calipari started the grind way too soon...either he called for the slow-down or Wheeler just stopped executing the offense...I'm not sure. But, up 10 with 10 minutes to go, we should have continued to run our stuff and stretched the lead. It was way too early to grind at that point.

LSU is a tough team. They did a lot of good stuff that will cause other teams issues. I'm glad we got that W.

Slowing the ball down was OK, slowing the ball down and waiting until under 10 in the shot clock was not good coaching strategy.

One point on this is that it seems Wheeler and Wallace really struggle to recognize when the other team is in zone vs. man. A couple of those possessions you talk about, LSU was in zone and they were trying to run pick-n-roll or some other man offense.

A decent win but we need to be honest here. Saying LSU is a "really good" team is a stretch. LSU is 70th according to KenPom. That team last night was essentially like beating an above average Murray St. team. Don't get too excited yet. Saturday is the real test.
They are better than you might think. They just beat Arkansas - a team with a coach many UK fans would love to poach.

However, aside from KJ Williams, I doubt they’ll be hitting 11+ threes every game. That, Cason deciding to launch and miss three straight threes, and a little bit of Doug Shows is why they kept it so close.

Calipari started the grind way too soon...either he called for the slow-down or Wheeler just stopped executing the offense...I'm not sure. But, up 10 with 10 minutes to go, we should have continued to run our stuff and stretched the lead. It was way too early to grind at that point.

Like my point above, LSU was switching from what looked like 1-3-1 to 2-3 zone to man every other time down the floor and we had no recognition of what they were doing.

Funny you say that, almost half their points were scored by two players who played for Murray last year.

I use voice recognition software and it comes up with some really funny stuff sometimes.
I have a few relatives back home that when they leave VMs my phone just says "unable to transcribe". I get it.

That was a big win last night. LSU is a really good team. I liked what I saw from the guys that needed to do it. It’s encouraging. Big game this weekend. If we can steal a couple on the road it would go a long way to determining our fate.
Yeah, we beat an unranked team at home by 3 points....we were favored by 10 ...but nothing to celebrate if you are Kentucky. Look we have all of the 5 stars and were ranked top 3 in preseason...so we should be much better. Still have not beaten a ranked team all year.

Great point about that stretch. None more important than up 7 with 8 to play. Cason misses a 3, Oscar offensive rebound, Cason misses another 3. Instead of hitting one and going up 10 again, LSU gets the ball and a bucket to draw within 5. Next shot? Another missed Cason 3 and KJ hits a 3 to get within 2 with all of BBN getting nervous.
True nobody wants to mention the open jumpers Wallace kept missing
I’m more worried about our defense than I am offense
We are not good on defense

Reactions: uk78
Always take a win. First year coach at LSU. Still made it interesting.

Toppin has finally showed up. Long way to to be a real contender.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Cason has to get going for this team to really take off. He's letting the game come to him and we need him to be more offensive threat. Playing within the system whatever that is might be holding him back.

Let’s win enough too get in the dance and win a game or 2 about as good as we can hope for at this point.

That was a big win last night. LSU is a really good team. I liked what I saw from the guys that needed to do it. It’s encouraging. Big game this weekend. If we can steal a couple on the road it would go a long way to determining our fate.
Yes. I'm on the adios Cal train but last night actually looked like Kentucky basketball for much of the game. It was refreshing to see. If Toppin can keep this intensity level up along with Cason and Oscar, we should still have a pretty good season.

I give Cal enough crap, I'll at least acknowledge a good game.

1 play makes the entire game lucky? You realize a 100 things happened in that game. How bout that 3 LSU banked in

1 play makes the entire game lucky? You realize a 100 things happened in that game. How bout that 3 LSU banked in
Agree...lots of very lucky things happened for LSU. The biggest of those being the missed Doug Shows call on Cason Wallace...one of the worst I have ever seen.

Reactions: JC CATS and G-PIP
Let's see what happens Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT