ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga's Recruiting

So far, Gozanga has been exposed year in and year out in the NCAA tourney once they are forced to consistently play competitive teams. All they have to do is just be pretty good to dominate their conference but once they play the big boys in the NCAA tourney, they get exposed...Their NCAA record does not lie...
They got to a title game. Please explain how that is "getting exposed."

Locked up the #1 overall seed in the tourney this year and they are the favorite to cut down the nets. We have seen this story with them before, but it feels different this year. They got Suggs last year and now are the prohibitive favorites for consensus #1 player Chet Holmgren and #6 Hunter Sallis.

Can't see their run ending anytime soon with the shit conference they play in and the recent uptick in recruiting.

I believe Few is a life long Zags coach, but would be nice to pry him away somehow if Cal were to ever leave.
Few gets at 6 foreign players most years. He is way ahead of the curve regarding this type of recruiting. Pinion just recently commented teams will be recruiting more foreign players. New day coming.

It amazes me how Few can get such good players to choose a tiny school in such a crappy conference in one of the most geographically isolated cities in our country.
So many people act like the WCC is the SWAC or something, granted the WCC isn't a P5 league but the Zags have been in MM for something like 23 straight years and BYU and St. Mary's routinely make the tourney.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
he is jumping into the OAD water
let us see how he handles it
He's not "jumping" into it, he's dipping his toe in it. Suggs is actually the 2nd OAD at GU, Zach Collins was the first and Holmgren will be the 3rd, but Few surrounds them with vets, Kispert and Ayayi this year, Timme and Nembhard next year, it's a smart approach.

They badly need to move to a power conference. Whether it be the Pac 12, Little 12 or any power conference. Until then, their regular season records are counterfeit IMO.

It's like beating up on the handicapped kids. BYU and St Mary's are the only teams that give them a game from time to time, everyone else and its just business as usual.

Funny thing is I remember when people used to say the same thing about the SEC. We were steamrolling everybody in basketball, in a football conference.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He's not "jumping" into it, he's dipping his toe in it. Suggs is actually the 2nd OAD at GU, Zach Collins was the first and Holmgren will be the 3rd, but Few surrounds them with vets, Kispert and Ayayi this year, Timme and Nembhard next year, it's a smart approach.
as of now how many titles has his approach produced
next year he will probably have 2 OAD players
he is knee deep next year
he is starting to understand that the way he has been doing it does not win titles

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
They are #1 and the favorite to win the national championship. They don’t need to do anything.
So it’s fair to these power conference teams when Gonzaga snatches their number 1 seed, after not playing ANYONE for months upon months?! I wholeheartedly disagree. Like I said, until they move to a power conference, their record is counterfeit.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Conversely how fair is it to them to basically not even be eligible for a 1 seed just because they play in a weaker conference?

Because if this team doesn't deserve a 1 seed than no one does. They have crushed their conference and they play some very good power conference teams out of conference. And won those games big as well.

There's a ton of power conference teams that play absolute cupcakes at home in the non conference for the majority of their schedule. What difference does it make so long as you play some good teams at some point?

It's 2021. There's ways you can judge a team on equal terms despite not playing in a big conference.

So it’s fair to these power conference teams when Gonzaga snatches their number 1 seed, after not playing ANYONE for months upon months?! I wholeheartedly disagree. Like I said, until they move to a power conference, their record is counterfeit.
If you're old enough, did you feel that UNLV's record in the late 80's and early 90's was counterfeit?

Reactions: MyCatsWin
They badly need to move to a power conference. Whether it be the Pac 12, Little 12 or any power conference. Until then, their regular season records are counterfeit IMO.

I don't care how bad your conference is, if you can go undefeated, you have done a good job. They have my respect.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: UK90
as of now how many titles has his approach produced
next year he will probably have 2 OAD players
he is knee deep next year
he is starting to understand that the way he has been doing it does not win titles
Two? Sallis might not even start. I didn't know that "winning championships" was the litmus test. Again, he's made 23 straight MM's, he's doing something right and if your argument is that it's so easy because of their conference then why don't so many other teams in mid major conferences do what the Zags have done?

I don't care how bad your conference is, if you can go undefeated, you have done a good job. They have my respect.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
They have done a good job. Let’s be honest here, though. Gonzaga going undefeated in that BS conference in a Covid year is nowhere near like doing it in a power conference in a regular year. It just isn’t.

Then these power conference teams should schedule, recruit, develop, and coach better so they win more games

I am sure the entire Gonzaga program is devastated that you believe their record is counterfeit. Few is currently losing lots of sleep. Starts the season #1, beats five Power conference teams by an average of 14 (four were top 20 teams), destroys its conference (average win was by 27), wins it tourney and is still #1 going into the tourney. Completely unfair that they get a #1 seed... SMH

Reactions: wentzel25 and UK90
I am sure the entire Gonzaga program is devastated that you believe their record is counterfeit. Few is currently losing lots of sleep. Starts the season #1, beats five Power conference teams by an average of 14 (four were top 20 teams), destroys its conference (average win was by 27), wins it tourney and is still #1 going into the tourney. Completely unfair that they get a #1 seed... SMH
Not just about this year. They literally don’t play anyone for three months EVERY season. There’s a reason Wiltjer transferred out there and flourished, but wasn’t good enough to play in the SEC. Their conference is a JOKE. Keep talking about those five non conference games they won this year, though. SMH. 🙄

Few isn’t going anywhere and frankly, I don’t think he could handle the Kentucky Basketball machine. Not to mention, I echo many of the sentiments above about them being in a junk conference. On any given night, they could go down to a run of the mill SEC team. You pick the power conference and it would be the same story.

True, BUT Ga Tech also beat us and hadn’t even practiced this season up until that point. They didn’t just beat us. They mopped the floor with us.
Yeah we sucked and especially that early, but people have been making fun of GA Tech and Pastner when they have looked solid for a while. It also didn't help that Cal thought ATL was a 3 hr drive and had the team drive there. He said they had no idea it was 6 hrs. I'm sure that didn't help.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Funny thing is I remember when people used to say the same thing about the SEC. We were steamrolling everybody in basketball, in a football conference.
I remember that as well. People can call it a football conference all they want. The WAC is a nothing conference. How many SEC basketball programs have won national titles? Off the top of my head, 3. Pretty good for a “football conference”.

Not just about this year. They literally don’t play anyone for three months EVERY season. There’s a reason Wiltjer transferred out there and flourished, but wasn’t good enough to play in the SEC. Their conference is a JOKE. Keep talking about those five non conference games they won this year, though. SMH. 🙄
You literally have no idea what the word literally means.

Few isn’t going anywhere and frankly, I don’t think he could handle the Kentucky Basketball machine. Not to mention, I echo many of the sentiments above about them being in a junk conference. On any given night, they could go down to a run of the mill SEC team. You pick the power conference and it would be the same story.
This is exactly right.

Oh boy. I know exactly what literally means. Who do they play, St. Mary’s, BYU, Pepperdine?! Lmao give me a break.
You said "they literally don't play anyone for three months", you clearly do not know what the word literally means.

If they win it all this year, they've proven that they can play in a candy conference and only worry about winning the last 6 games against real opponents. Why would they change conferences then? They can just worry about going 6-0 rather than go through a hell schedule in a real conference.

However, if Baylor blows them out, then that's a conversation that will need to be had. Keep in mind, it just took a buzzer beater to beat a power conference number 11 seed. If they barely lose to Baylor, it'll be business as usual. If they get stomped, the conversation will come up, as it should.

If they win it all this year, they've proven that they can play in a candy conference and only worry about winning the last 6 games against real opponents. Why would they change conferences then? They can just worry about going 6-0 rather than go through a hell schedule in a real conference.

This has been the rap (by Big East, ACC, Big Ten types) against Kentucky basketball for the better part of a century. We don’t have 49 conference titles if the SEC weren’t typically doo doo butter.

Who cares.

If you win it all, you win it all. The only thing that really matters in college basketball is winning in April. How you get there is pretty irrelevant.

Some hilariously bad takes in this thread
What I find funny about these type threads is the way people on this board act like Gonzaga being in a weak conference is their choice.

It’s not. Gonzaga would absolutely love to be in a stronger conference. But none will let them in, because they don’t have a revenue producing football program and are in such a geographically isolated location. That ain’t their fault.

Nonetheless, Gonzaga goes out of its way to play the toughest non-conference schedule it possibly can every year. For example, this year they scheduled Kansas, Baylor, Virginia, Iowa, Auburn and West Virginia. That’s a tougher non-con slate than any other team in the country played. And they do that year after year. So I ain’t holding their schedule against him. They try as hard as they can to play the toughest schedule they possibly can.

Last edited:
What I find funniest about these type threads is the way people on this board act like Gonzaga being in a weak conference is their choice.

It’s not. Gonzaga would absolutely love to be in a stronger conference. But none will let them in, because they don’t have a high revenue producing football program and are in such a geographically isolated location. That ain’t their fault.

Nonetheless, Gonzaga goes out of his way to schedule the toughest non-conference schedule it possibly can every year. For example, this year they scheduled Baylor, Virginia, Iowa, that’s a tougher non-con slate than any other team in the country played. And they do that year after year. So I holding their schedule against him. They try as hard as they can to play the toughest schedule they possibly can.
No, no they're cheating! If Mark Few were a real coach, he'd take over the football team and take them to the playoffs, so the PAC-12 would be begging them to join. Can't you see it's all counterfeit?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT