ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga's Recruiting

If they have success where they are, why do they need to move to a different conference? Nobody thought UNLV had to move out of the Big West in the 80's and 90's.

A Power 5 conference will never happen because they don't have football. Big East is definitely the best fit from a basketball standpoint. Gonzaga is a fellow catholic school that would fit right in. Travel would be ridiculous though. They almost left for the Mountain West Conference a few years ago and decided to stay put.

Overall, there is no reason for them to move. They have had success in the NCAA Tournament, they are getting big time recruits and they are on the doorstep of winning it all. And that's not going away.

if a coach at UK had that same success then he would be fired

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So far, Gozanga has been exposed year in and year out in the NCAA tourney once they are forced to consistently play competitive teams. All they have to do is just be pretty good to dominate their conference but once they play the big boys in the NCAA tourney, they get exposed...Their NCAA record does not lie...
Facts, shmacts....who needs 'em?

Reactions: wentzel25
if a coach at UK had that same success then he would be fired
He has a better NCAA Tournament resume than Cal over the last 5 NCAA Tournaments (top 10 success in the NCAA Tournament overall)...and he's doing it at Gonzaga. To act like the opportunities and resources are the same is crazy. He has half the budget of Kentucky. He would do just fine here.

He has a better NCAA Tournament resume than Cal over the last 5 NCAA Tournaments (top 10 success in the NCAA Tournament overall)...and he's doing it at Gonzaga. To act like the opportunities and resources are the same is crazy. He has half the budget of Kentucky. He would do just fine here.

he has 1 FF (lost in the title game
look at all the high seeds the Zags have gotten only to go out very early
if he had those same results at UK, yes he would be fired

you are a good poster but when you cherry pick time frames you have already lost
why not go 6, 7, 8 years

he has 1 FF (lost in the title game
look at all the high seeds the Zags have gotten only to go out very early
if he had those same results at UK, yes he would be fired

you are a good poster but when you cherry pick time frames you have already lost
why not go 6, 7, 8 years
Because those years don't matter anymore. Who cares what he did 10 years ago. We do that all the time on here with Cal. "What has he done since 2015?" is all people say. Nobody cares anymore that he went to 4 Final Fours in his first 6 years. So why should we care what Gonzaga did 8 years ago in the NCAA Tournament. Just like nobody cares that Mark Stoops went 12-24 in his first 3 years. We care that he has gone 37-26 in the last 5 years.

He has been a great coach with a very good program over the past 7 years (I went further out for you). He drastically changed his approach with getting big time transfers over the past 7 years. He finally has been able to get big time recruits over the past handful of years and he's dipping even more into the international pool. There is a HUGE difference between Gonzaga prior to 2014 and Gonzaga after 2014. Just like there is a big difference Kentucky up to 2015 and after 2015.

That's not cherry picking stats. That's showing (unlike UK right now) that a coach knew his current approach and style wasn't going to get him out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, so he made changes to his program. He went 13 years (2001-02 to 2013-14) when he made it to the Sweet 16 twice and lost in the first or second round 11 times. Since then, he's made it to the Championship game, 2 Elite Eights, 2 Sweet 16's, was going to be a 1 seed last year with a legit shot and is a 1 seed this year with a legit shot...at Gonzaga, with Gonzaga resources and being a part of a small conference.

They got Suggs last year and now are the prohibitive favorites for consensus #1 player Chet Holmgren and #6 Hunter Sallis.
It amazes me how Few can get such good players to choose a tiny school in such a crappy conference in one of the most geographically isolated cities in our country.

Ask yourself this question. Do you think Gonzaga would’ve went undefeated in any of the power conferences this year?! Of course not. There’s your answer.
Why couldn’t they? Unlikely in the Big 12 or Big ten, but I could see them doing it in the other 3. Most people believe they are better than Baylor, and they only lost 1 game in conference.

They haven't been "exposed" at all tho.

They play pretty much to the level of their seeding which suggests they are accurate with the seed given to them.
How did the Gonzaga chokes in the tourney myth start? The only teams that have had more success in the tourney than them since 2015 have been Nova, and maybe Kansas.

Playing in a power conference would have made it more unlikely but yeah they certainly could have done it.

Alabama had 2 SEC losses.

Gonzaga is better than they are.

It's not unreasonable to think the Zags couldn't have run the table in the SEC...........or Pac 12..........or Big East.......or ACC.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
They badly need to move to a power conference. Whether it be the Pac 12, Little 12 or any power conference. Until then, their regular season records are counterfeit IMO.

I'm sure Gonzaga would love to look into changing conferences. Problem is that the PAC-12 won't take them because they aren't a huge research university and they don't add anything for football. The other issues are that if Gonzaga was in the Big 12 or even the Big East (as it was once rumored they were considered for with other Catholic schools) they'd have a TON of travel to do to get to where the other members are. For example, just imagine Gonzaga having to fly all the way to Washington D.C. to play Georgetown.

I really don't understand all the Gonzaga hate. They've made some deep tourney runs into the second weekend on a consistent basis. They play a tough non-conference schedule to boot. It's not like they can just suddenly jump into another conference if they want to.

They wouldn’t have. They absolutely wouldn’t have.
Why not? They went 4-0 against top 16 teams in their OOC games with only 1 of them being a single digit win. They definitely would have a shot to run the table in a conference like the SEC, ACC, or PAC-12.

Reactions: wentzel25
Why not? They went 4-0 against top 16 teams in their OOC games with only 1 of them being a single digit win. They definitely would have a shot to run the table in a conference like the SEC, ACC, or PAC-12.
What about the Big 10 or Big 12? Right. I don’t think so even in the SEC.

I'm not even sure what the point of all this is.

So if Gonzaga moved into a power conference and they lost say 1-3 games in conference, would that really mean anything?

They'd still be considered a top team regardless.

What about the Big 10 or Big 12? Right. I don’t think so even in the SEC.
Big 10 and Big 12 are both very good conferences this year. I doubt they run the table in either of those. I think they would have a legit shot at winning them, but there isn't any team in American that would go undefeated in those conferences.

Big 10 and Big 12 are both very good conferences this year. I doubt they run the table in either of those. I think they would have a legit shot at winning them, but there isn't any team in American that would go undefeated in those conferences.
Exactly. Which means the competition is better in power conferences. Thus, making the team more prepared for the tournament. Iron sharpens iron. They play in a BS conference.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Gonzaga is outscoring it's conference by 0.32 points per possession.

I mean I don't care what conference you are playing in, you don't see those numbers.

Outside of Baylor, if you put any other team in Gonzaga's conference, they don't outscore the opponents by that margin.

Gonzaga is going to be favored in every single tournament game they play in. There's a reason for that.

Exactly. Which means the competition is better in power conferences. Thus, making the team more prepared for the tournament. Iron sharpens iron. They play in a BS conference.

Power conferences are better than non power conferences.

But there's really no indication they "prepare teams for the tournament" more. I mean the Big 10 has been the best conferences the past few years and their tournament teams haven't done great. You could even make the counter argument that the wear and tear of playing in those games makes you LESS likely do to well in the tournament.

Exactly. Which means the competition is better in power conferences. Thus, making the team more prepared for the tournament. Iron sharpens iron.
Nobody is arguing that the competition in major conferences isn't better. What others are saying is that they have played up to seed or better almost every year in recent years, including beating teams from major conferences on a consistent basis. You're either talented and well coached, or you're not. They are talented and well coached and I don't believe playing in a better conference would increase their chances in the tournament. We obviously differ in that opinion.

Reactions: UK90
Ask yourself this question. Do you think Gonzaga would’ve went undefeated in any of the power conferences this year?! Of course not. There’s your answer.
I don’t know, they smoked Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, West Virginia and Auburn in the non-con part of their season. I don’t think any of those games were even close.

I don’t think they could go undefeated in this year’s Big 10 or Big 12 ..but I’m not so sure about the others.

Never thought about football. Still, their overall weak conference competition hurts them in the tourney every year. Every single year.
I really don't know if this can be said. I just looked back at the last five NCAA tournaments to see what how far they advanced: We have: 2 Sweet 16s (as the 4 and 11 seeds), 2 Elite 8s (as the 1 and 2 seeds) and a NCAA runner up (1 seed). I think all logical people view the tournament as somewhat of a crapshoot as it is a one and done and upsets will happen. All big teams have underperformed at some point in the tournament. I just don't think you can say their regular season schedule is hurting them every year. One thing that Few has done is loaded up the non-con in recent years. They played Kansas, Auburn, West Virginia, Iowa and UVA. Had Baylor on the schedule but cancelled. I don't think many teams have had non-cons like that. Year before they had Texas AM, Oregon, Michigan, Washington, Arizona, UNC. They aren't avoiding teams at all. Personally, I don't think Few needs to change a thing. Recruiting is improving, getting consistently high seeds in the tourney. If they keep this up, you have to think at some point they will get a national championship. But then again, we all know those aren't easy to get...

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Absolutely, but why is that the litmus test anyway? They can't choose their conference so they load up ooc.

Because those years don't matter anymore. Who cares what he did 10 years ago. We do that all the time on here with Cal. "What has he done since 2015?" is all people say. Nobody cares anymore that he went to 4 Final Fours in his first 6 years. So why should we care what Gonzaga did 8 years ago in the NCAA Tournament. Just like nobody cares that Mark Stoops went 12-24 in his first 3 years. We care that he has gone 37-26 in the last 5 years.

He has been a great coach with a very good program over the past 7 years (I went further out for you). He drastically changed his approach with getting big time transfers over the past 7 years. He finally has been able to get big time recruits over the past handful of years and he's dipping even more into the international pool. There is a HUGE difference between Gonzaga prior to 2014 and Gonzaga after 2014. Just like there is a big difference Kentucky up to 2015 and after 2015.

That's not cherry picking stats. That's showing (unlike UK right now) that a coach knew his current approach and style wasn't going to get him out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, so he made changes to his program. He went 13 years (2001-02 to 2013-14) when he made it to the Sweet 16 twice and lost in the first or second round 11 times. Since then, he's made it to the Championship game, 2 Elite Eights, 2 Sweet 16's, was going to be a 1 seed last year with a legit shot and is a 1 seed this year with a legit shot...at Gonzaga, with Gonzaga resources and being a part of a small conference.

who cares what the Zags did 5 years ago
in those 7 years he has not been very good in the NCAAT (minus 1 year)

true he does not recruit in the traditional way at a high level
he compensates that with transfers and foreign players
every year he has upper classmen, yet even despite all those high seeds he fails in the NCAAT

he will have a highly rated class next year (probably their highest in their history)
do you think he makes it to the FF next year

I saw Drew Timme play in high school, and he was a big kid with good footwork, but not a great basketball player. Now he is a great (or at least really good) college player. I don't know if every kid develops that much under Few, but Timme sure has. Based on the games I've watched, Gonzaga is the best team in the country. I hope they win it.

Locked up the #1 overall seed in the tourney this year and they are the favorite to cut down the nets. We have seen this story with them before, but it feels different this year. They got Suggs last year and now are the prohibitive favorites for consensus #1 player Chet Holmgren and #6 Hunter Sallis.

Can't see their run ending anytime soon with the shit conference they play in and the recent uptick in recruiting.

I believe Few is a life long Zags coach, but would be nice to pry him away somehow if Cal were to ever leave.
Cool, can Few bring all his National Championship trophies with him?

• Haha
who cares what the Zags did 5 years ago
in those 7 years he has not been very good in the NCAAT (minus 1 year)

true he does not recruit in the traditional way at a high level
he compensates that with transfers and foreign players
every year he has upper classmen, yet even despite all those high seeds he fails in the NCAAT

he will have a highly rated class next year (probably their highest in their history)
do you think he makes it to the FF next year
First you want me to go back 6, 7 and 8 years and now you don't care what he did 5 years ago. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. And not very good in the NCAA Tournament in that span? Here is the last 5 NCAA Tournaments he has been in (7 years):

2015 - 2 seed - Elite 8 - lost to National Champion Duke - played to seed
2016 - 11 seed - Sweet 16 - beat the #6 and #3 seeds. Lost in the Sweet 16 to Final Four Syracuse - better than seed
2017 - 1 seed - Title Game - lost to national Champion UNC - played to seed
2018 - 4 seed - Sweet 16 - lost to Florida State - played to seed
2019 - 1 seed - Elite Eight - lost to National Runner-up Texas tech - did not play to seed

He's 3 - 0 in the NCAA Tournament in that span against teams that had a better seed than Gonzaga. He's 13-4 against teams that Gonzaga had a better seed than.

So, outside of 2019, he took them as far or further than was predicted based on seed. There are probably only a handful of teams in that time span that have been better overall and better based on seed and expectations. I would say that's pretty good.

I have no idea about next year. They potentially lose 3 lottery selections in Suggs, Timme and Krispert, but have 2 top prospects coming in along with a decent group of guys returning. He has the right system going with partnering stud freshman (see Suggs this year) with very solid upperclassmen. We shall see.

I’m rooting for the zags in this tournament. I want them to go deep and lose in the FF or title game. Then do that again next season. Then maybe he’ll be more open to the UK position if offered. Tell him he’ll be getting a pay raise, better resources, and better competition to prepare his teams for tourney time.

I really like Few as a coach. He brings transfers and, recently, top freshmen and form them into a cohesive unit (much like Cal was good at when he started here- with the top freshmen that is). But I do think the week OOC and conference schedules do very little to prepare them for the big dance. I guess we will see. This is the Zags tournament to lose, so we will see how they do as the overall favorite.

First you want me to go back 6, 7 and 8 years and now you don't care what he did 5 years ago. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. And not very good in the NCAA Tournament in that span? Here is the last 5 NCAA Tournaments he has been in (7 years):

2015 - 2 seed - Elite 8 - lost to National Champion Duke - played to seed
2016 - 11 seed - Sweet 16 - beat the #6 and #3 seeds. Lost in the Sweet 16 to Final Four Syracuse - better than seed
2017 - 1 seed - Title Game - lost to national Champion UNC - played to seed
2018 - 4 seed - Sweet 16 - lost to Florida State - played to seed
2019 - 1 seed - Elite Eight - lost to National Runner-up Texas tech - did not play to seed

He's 3 - 0 in the NCAA Tournament in that span against teams that had a better seed than Gonzaga. He's 13-4 against teams that Gonzaga had a better seed than.

So, outside of 2019, he took them as far or further than was predicted based on seed. There are probably only a handful of teams in that time span that have been better overall and better based on seed and expectations. I would say that's pretty good.

I have no idea about next year. They potentially lose 3 lottery selections in Suggs, Timme and Krispert, but have 2 top prospects coming in along with a decent group of guys returning. He has the right system going with partnering stud freshman (see Suggs this year) with very solid upperclassmen. We shall see.
you said and i quote "those years do not matter anymore"
he has had higher seeds then Cal has and has produced exactly zero titles
yea he would be fired at UK or at the very least on the hot seat

Reactions: Fox2monk
Gonzaga would just be above average in a power 5 conference. They win like Memphis won in their weak conference. Gonzaga's bloated win-loss record has produced zero titles.

Their recruiting will be something to monitor. Duke and uk stayed away from suggs for a reason. No way he was without baggage. Same thing with Chet.

Their aau coach and connection is way shady. May never matter. We'll see

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT