ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga's Recruiting

If Few wins tomorrow night, he’ll have done something that Cal, K, Roy, Self and a bunch of other big name coaches haven’t. Win the NCAAT from a non P5 conference. Cal was close with UMass and Memphis.

What I find funny about these type threads is the way people on this board act like Gonzaga being in a weak conference is their choice.

It’s not. Gonzaga would absolutely love to be in a stronger conference. But none will let them in, because they don’t have a high revenue producing football program and are in such a geographically isolated location. That ain’t their fault.

Nonetheless, Gonzaga goes out of its way to play the toughest non-conference schedule it possibly can every year. For example, this year they scheduled Kansas, Baylor, Virginia, Iowa, Auburn and West Virginia. That’s a tougher non-con slate than any other team in the country played. And they do that year after year. So I ain’t holding their schedule against him. They try as hard as they can to play the toughest schedule they possibly can.
They took on all comers in non conference and they set em up and knocked em down. They’ve performed well in the tournament in spite of what people here have tried to downplay their success. Have they not made it as far or farther (mostly farther) than us in the tournament and every year since 2015? That’s turning into a pretty significant streak at this point.

The Gonzaga haters are just wrong. Time for them to come down off this hill before they die on it.

Gonzaga recruits skilled kids not track athletes - they also do not clog lanes playing a double post
Spacing is impeccable and ball movement glorious
Fun to watch

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
So many people act like the WCC is the SWAC or something, granted the WCC isn't a P5 league but the Zags have been in MM for something like 23 straight years and BYU and St. Mary's routinely make the tourney.
Most people on here that talk about how bad the wcc is doen't even know who plays in that league. Gonzaga is in the ncaa tournament every year, and BYU and St. Mary's are in it quite often like you said. San Francisco beat the acc champion virginia this year, and pepperdine took ucla into 3 ots this year at ucla and these are middle of the pack wcc teams. The wcc may not be great, but name another small conference that did all that this year, They also placed 4 teams in the post season. Most people that downgrade the wcc doesn't know anything about it other than what they hear on this board.

Gonzaga always plays a good OOC schedule. Who cares about their conference. Look at how many power five conferences are weak as can be. Joining the PAC 12 doesn’t do anything for them. Just keep playing good teams for your OOC.

This year they played Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, and WVU and had Baylor scheduled as well. What more do you want? Lol

Yeah we sucked and especially that early, but people have been making fun of GA Tech and Pastner when they have looked solid for a while. It also didn't help that Cal thought ATL was a 3 hr drive and had the team drive there. He said they had no idea it was 6 hrs. I'm sure that didn't help.
I have also heard on this board for years that Drew is a terrible coach on the same level as Pastner, and that Baylor cheats to get all their players. Now all of a sudden Drew is one of the best coaches in the country. A lot of the posters on this board put some of the most ridiculous crap that I have ever heard.

Well I dont post often but think about this....I agree somewhat on Gonzaga's week
conference but have you all thought how Kentucky got 31 championships...The SEC is really week for many many years. I think Gonzaga is legit and have proven they are a power

Gonzaga recruits skilled kids not track athletes - they also do not clog lanes playing a double post
Spacing is impeccable and ball movement glorious
Fun to watch
Mark Few and his staff knows how to judge tallent. They don't just look at how many stars they have by their name. They recruit players with basketball skills and basketball IQ. They also don't recruit these high flying aau superstars that have huge ego and a bunch of hangers on. Therefore his teams play as a team and are not worried about how fast I can get to the league. By recruiting his type of players Gonzaga has been to 2 of the last 4 championship games, and very well may have been to the championship game last year if they would have had one. Oh and by the way that terrible league as you call it would have had 3 teams in the tourney last year, and had 4 teams in post season play this year. You people that keep trying to down play everything that Gonzaga does are only making yourself look like fools. You want to talk about tradition, in the last 10 years Few and Gonzaga has as much tradition as any team in the country, oh and in case you forgot, the Zags beat the mighty zion led duke team that was supposed to be the greatest team in the history of college basketball. A lot of you want to bring up Kentucky tradition, but a good part of that was in the 1940s and 50s. How can you people that wasn't even born claim that as your tradition ? Heck a lot of you weren't even born in 1978. Last 10 years the Zags have as much tradition as anyone. So let your jealousy run rampant and try to make your excuses as to why Gonzaga is irrelivant. Well baby they are relevant, and they will continue to be as long as Mark Few and Tommy Lloyd are in charge. I will let you in on a little secret, if they sign Holmgren and Kessler, which they should, and Timme comes back next year they will probably be in the championship game again, so you will be able to cry all next year that Gonzaga is overrated and not that good just like you have this year.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Gonzaga is protected in a weak conference and has been exposed once they play the power conferences.
Sorry but I don’t think any Kentucky fan should chide other teams for playing in a “weak conference”. SEC was garbage this year—and historically is a dumpster fire of basketball.

Reactions: kb22stang
Sorry but I don’t think any Kentucky fan should chide other teams for playing in a “weak conference”. SEC was garbage this year—and historically is a dumpster fire of basketball.

I mean sure if we are comparing just power conferences (tho the SEC seems to do well in the tournament most years relative to seeding so maybe people underrate us to a degree). But it's still way better than the mid major conferences.

Not that any of this really matters.

If Gonzaga does win hopefully that puts to bed the myth that you can't win if u play in a weak conference or that you somehow can't be good. Lots of "yeah Gonzaga is good but.......".

If you are good you are good whether you are in the ACC or the SWAC.

They took on all comers in non conference and they set em up and knocked em down. They’ve performed well in the tournament in spite of what people here have tried to downplay their success. Have they not made it as far or farther (mostly farther) than us in the tournament and every year since 2015? That’s turning into a pretty significant streak at this point.

The Gonzaga haters are just wrong. Time for them to come down off this hill before they die on it.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 tell me how wrong I, and many others, are again.

I mean sure if we are comparing just power conferences (tho the SEC seems to do well in the tournament most years relative to seeding so maybe people underrate us to a degree). But it's still way better than the mid major conferences.

Not that any of this really matters.

If Gonzaga does win hopefully that puts to bed the myth that you can't win if u play in a weak conference or that you somehow can't be good. Lots of "yeah Gonzaga is good but.......".

If you are good you are good whether you are in the ACC or the SWAC.
It’s not put to bed yet. They play in a BS conference!

Reactions: MakinMusic
Mark Few and his staff knows how to judge tallent. They don't just look at how many stars they have by their name. They recruit players with basketball skills and basketball IQ. They also don't recruit these high flying aau superstars that have huge ego and a bunch of hangers on. Therefore his teams play as a team and are not worried about how fast I can get to the league. By recruiting his type of players Gonzaga has been to 2 of the last 4 championship games, and very well may have been to the championship game last year if they would have had one. Oh and by the way that terrible league as you call it would have had 3 teams in the tourney last year, and had 4 teams in post season play this year. You people that keep trying to down play everything that Gonzaga does are only making yourself look like fools. You want to talk about tradition, in the last 10 years Few and Gonzaga has as much tradition as any team in the country, oh and in case you forgot, the Zags beat the mighty zion led duke team that was supposed to be the greatest team in the history of college basketball. A lot of you want to bring up Kentucky tradition, but a good part of that was in the 1940s and 50s. How can you people that wasn't even born claim that as your tradition ? Heck a lot of you weren't even born in 1978. Last 10 years the Zags have as much tradition as anyone. So let your jealousy run rampant and try to make your excuses as to why Gonzaga is irrelivant. Well baby they are relevant, and they will continue to be as long as Mark Few and Tommy Lloyd are in charge. I will let you in on a little secret, if they sign Holmgren and Kessler, which they should, and Timme comes back next year they will probably be in the championship game again, so you will be able to cry all next year that Gonzaga is overrated and not that good just like you have this year.
Nobody thinks you’re a kentucky fan homie, go back to the zag board.

I am sure the entire Gonzaga program is devastated that you believe their record is counterfeit. Few is currently losing lots of sleep. Starts the season #1, beats five Power conference teams by an average of 14 (four were top 20 teams), destroys its conference (average win was by 27), wins it tourney and is still #1 going into the tourney. Completely unfair that they get a #1 seed... SMH
Didn’t play a 1,2,3,4 seed until the championship game and got taken to the brink by an 11 seed. You can spin it however you want but major conference teams generally play a bunch of tournament quality teams in their conference. Zags play BYU and maybe St Mary’s.

The zags were clearly very good this year, but without being able to see them play quality competition and average 27 pt wins in their conference we couldn’t tell just how good. Sure they beat up on their OOC schedule but to be an all time great team you can’t just pick up a few wins early and coast through the sisters of the poor and garner the respect from everyone.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Real legit, ole Gonzaga is! 😂

Reactions: MakinMusic
Just admit it guys. @Lempface, @MakinMusic and I were right. Y’all still gonna stick to your guns?! Gonzaga got embarrassed last night.
I had a feeling you’d be gloating this morning...as you should! I still think they are a top 5 program in today’s game and they aren’t going away. But, until they win it all, there will be many people like you (which there should be) questioning just how good they really are.

They’ve made 2 title games in 5 years. They got trucked by a buzz saw last night. It doesn’t change my opinion on Gonzaga’s program at all. Not even a little bit.
And last time they lucked out too, beating an 11 seeded Xavier for the Final Four and then a 7 seeded South Carolina.

• Love
I had a feeling you’d be gloating this morning...as you should! I still think they are a top 5 program in today’s game and they aren’t going away. But, until they win it all, there will be many people like you (which there should be) questioning just how good they really are.
You mean you aren’t? This has been going on since when, 1999?! The year I graduated HS 🤣

Y’all keep saying 5 years. How many have they made in the last 125 years?
I have no opinion on that, brother. I never said anything about Gonzaga’s historical place in the annals of college basketball.

I have no opinion on that, brother. I never said anything about Gonzaga’s historical place in the annals of college basketball.
Two! Look, I really like you guys. You and @bthaunert are two of the absolute best posters on this board. Two of the most knowledgeable. I just REALLY disagree on Gonzaga being some powerhouse.

Two! Look, I really like you guys. You and @bthaunert are two of the absolute best posters on this board. Two of the most knowledgeable. I just REALLY disagree on Gonzaga being some powerhouse.
I can see that. We’ll just continue to disagree.

They are clearly good, you don’t run through your conference like they do every year without being good. The issue is we don’t know how good because they play 3-5 games that give you a litmus test in Nov/Dec then they play nobody.

The WCC has had a total of 120 ncaa tournament bids, a grand total of 1 team has made the final four since the 1950s. A grand total of 1 team in the elite 8 since 1990, and 3 teams in the sweet 16 since 1990.

The conference isn’t just weak, it’s an absolute joke.

For comparison sake the ACC has had 398 bids all time and the SEC 283, and the Big 10 308.

Most of the WCC bids are backloaded in the days of yesteryear, 50s-70s.

• Love
How does playing weaker competition for 3 months make a team play better in the NCAA tourney? Their inflated win-loss record hasn't correlated well up to this point to their success in the NCAA tourney.

1. Higher seed
2. Builds confidence
3. Allows them to get experience for their full roster
4. Allows them to develop their team without consistently facing a rigorous schedule

They are clearly good, you don’t run through your conference like they do every year without being good. The issue is we don’t know how good because they play 3-5 games that give you a litmus test in Nov/Dec then they play nobody.

The WCC has had a total of 120 ncaa tournament bids, a grand total of 1 team has made the final four since the 1950s. A grand total of 1 team in the elite 8 since 1990, and 3 teams in the sweet 16 since 1990.

For comparison sake the ACC has had 398 bids all time and the SEC 283, and the Big 10 308.

WOW nice work! That’s very eye opening! The WCC is even worse than I initially thought! People saying their conference doesn’t hurt them are just being contrary.

WOW nice work! That’s very eye opening! The WCC is even worse than I initially thought! People saying their conference doesn’t hurt them are just being contrary.
Yeah and those 3 teams that do anything since I didn’t explicitly state it are of course Gonzaga, BYU, and Saint Mary’s. Everyone else hasn’t been able to string together 2 wins since 1990, it’d look even worse for them if Loyola Maramount didn’t get to the elite 8 in 1990, we have to start heading back to the 70s to look for another school to make it to the sweet 16.

Yeah and those 3 teams that do anything since I didn’t explicitly state it are of course Gonzaga, BYU, and Saint Mary’s. Everyone else hasn’t been able to string together 2 wins since 1990, it’d look even worse for them if Loyola Maramount didn’t get to the elite 8 in 1990, we have to start heading back to the 70s to look for another school to make it to the sweet 16.
Solid, bro! 🙄

😆

Y’all keep saying 5 years. How many have they made in the last 125 years?

I'm not sure what you're argument is here. How is that even relevant?

No one is saying Gonzaga was good 125 years ago, or 50 years ago or 30 years ago.

People on here all the time point to UK's last few seasons like some downturn in this era.

Why isn't the opposite true. Gonzaga under Few the past few years have been very good. I'm not sure how anyone can deny this fact.

• Love
Reactions: STL_Cat
I'm not sure what you're argument is here. How is that even relevant?

No one is saying Gonzaga was good 125 years ago, or 50 years ago or 30 years ago.

People on here all the time point to UK's last few seasons like some downturn in this era.

Why isn't the opposite true. Gonzaga under Few the past few years have been very good. I'm not sure how anyone can deny this fact.
Very good. Most definitely not elite. This past team was most definitely not one of the GOATS. That’s the issue.

See I don't agree with that. Just cause a team plays in a weak conference doesn't mean you can't tell how good a team is.

They played in a crappy conference but outscored its opponents by 0.32 points per possession.

I mean that's unheard of. The bottom line is if u threw other teams in that conference, very few if any would replicate that. Maybe Baylor. That's about it.

Very good. Most definitely not elite. This past team was most definitely not one of the GOATS. That’s the issue.

Why because they lost in a title game to another very good team?

Was 2015 UK not elite?

Things happen in a one and done tournament. Baylor played well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT