ADVERTISEMENT

Golhke: 6 for 17 from 3 tonight in a losing effort.

Go watch the video of all 10 of his 3s above. I dont know how in the world you call those shots unguarded.
The problem with any of these excuses is our season. We made every team great at 3 point shooting. So, either we did not defend well or somehow it was miraculous on how even guys who never hit 3's were hitting them against us. When are some of you going to realize we allowed most teams to play to their comfort. I mean where was a press, double teaming, etc. When you allow that switching man defense that Cal runs it is going to free up wide open shots.

Why are people acting like he wasn’t making ridiculous contested 3’s?
Calipari was just getting our guys ready for the NBA. Gohlke was just running the scout team version of Steph Curry. Unfortunately Cal forgot that there was a need to win.

He probably was putting together a great game plan for the Houston game!

• Love
Reactions: ManitouDan
The bigger issue is they had one guy the coach did everything he could to make sure his guy got as many looks as possible. A guy that was shooting just under 37% for the year. We had 3 better shooters on our roster that were all shooting better at 44-52% and not a single play was run the entire game designed to get them an open look. Their one guy 10-20, our 3 combined 8-18. Coaching matters!!!!!

We made every team great at 3 point shooting
This isn't really true. Teams shot 33% against us for the year, which was 134th in the country. Not great by any means, but not truly awful like people think it was.

The bigger issue is they had one guy the coach did everything he could to make sure his guy got as many looks as possible. A guy that was shooting just under 37% for the year. We had 3 better shooters on our roster that were all shooting better at 44-52% and not a single play was run the entire game designed to get them an open look. Their one guy 10-20, our 3 combined 8-18. Coaching matters!!!!!
This was the issue. You can live with the 3s hit against us if we had the right offensive game plan. We attacked the middle of the zone with Mitchell and DJ instead of running sets for our guys to shoot 3s over it.

Uk did run a play to get dj a wide open look from the corner 🤔

We face guarded him for three fourths of the game. We knew he made a lot of 3s too.

Yeah I agree here. Not many of his 3’s were uncontested.

That being said Calipari should have made adjustments and if he was even a remotely good coach we still could have won.

Yeah I agree here. Not many of his 3’s were uncontested.

That being said Calipari should have made adjustments and if he was even a remotely good coach we still could have won.
I think the adjustments should have been on the offensive end. I find it funny everyone here pretty much accepted the fact that we'd have to basically outscore everyone to win games in the tournament, and when we lose because another team got hot from 3 it's all of a sudden a huge problem. This is what we all kind of expected to happen on defense.

If this team played it's normal offense we win. Instead of attacking the middle of the zone with Mitchell and DJ, neither of whom have played well at all recently, we should have ran things to get open 3s for the three Rs. If we do that and shoot 20% from 3 and lose, oh well. But at least you played to your strength. Instead we have it to two guys at the top of the key who have played really poorly lately and had them just go make a play.

That dude is 24 years old. Something about a 24 year old still playing college basketball seems really lame. I know I’m just being a hater but move on and do something productive with your life you loser lol.

Reactions: gharding07
There's one droll thing about the game that I'm sure everyone treasures as The Pearl of Great Price: Gohlke didn't start. Three other guards started ahead of him.

It's like all the gold dust leaking out of the saddle bags in The Treasure of Sierra Madre. After the months and months of people here spitting out invective about who should start, we get beat by a team that doesn't start its best shooter. Walter Huston danced a little jig at the cosmic, comic irony in the movie, but I'm too old for that.

6 for 17 is still a pretty decent clip for a mid-major player, playing a white-hot NCState. I expected it to be a lot worse. Safe to say that this guy can play.

Screens? I remember those.
There's a decent youtube video showing all of the accountant's scoring. They were running him constantly off of either single or double screens. Cal didn't have an answer.

Oakland was running the same plays against NCSt as they ran against UK. And I'd bet it's the same plays they've run all year.

The NC St coach obviously watched tape and explained how to cover. Coaching 101.

Do you? If we had hit our shots at our normal % we would have won going way. I know what the standard story is. (If you had been paying attention, you'd have known that.) It's just wrong.
Reed took 5 shots... the plan was to let Tre carry us. Idiotic plan. Cal always runs home to momma in a pinch. Force it to non-shooters.

• Love
Our defensive player guarding the screener did nothing all night. No matter who they were...they just had their thumb firmly up their ass while the guy guarding the 3 point shooter was fighting for his life.
Someone who knows standard basketball coaching. I applaud it.👏

It’s crazy that a guy who gets paid $9M a year can’t teach D1 athletes basic defensive concepts that most middle school and high school coaches can.

Gohlke’s performance doesn’t really matter. Who’s performance against nc state does matter is DQ Cole, the 36% 3 point shooter who went a cool 3/3 against us and of course comes back down to earth with a 1/5 from 3. The ole corner 3.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
No he didn't. The offense was stagnant. Turnovers.
4-8. 14 pts. 13 rebounds. A nice healthy double double. Tre isn't why we lost. (Points is the 14 that I remembered.)

Gohlke isn't why we lost. Everyone remembers all those stories of how Rupp let Pete Maravich score his 60. Well, if anyone wants to put Gohlke up as the reason they won, they can't ever tell that Maravich story ever again.

4-8. 14 pts. 13 rebounds. A nice healthy double double. Tre isn't why we lost. (Points is the 14 that I remembered.)

Gohlke isn't why we lost. Everyone remembers all those stories of how Rupp let Pete Maravich score his 60. Well, if anyone wants to put Gohlke up as the reason they won, they can't ever tell that Maravich story ever again.
Cal is why we lost.

1st 3, not contested
2nd 3, Sheppard late, no basketball person would tell you that was contested
3rd 3, deep 3, not a contest, can't do much on that one tho. that was 5 feet behind the arc
4th 3, Wagner is late, not much of a contest other than DJ throwing his hands up praying it doesnt go in
5th 3, Reeves wayyy late. Easily ball faked. not contested
6th 3, Reed contested that
7th 3, not contested
8th 3, Reeves very late, not contested
9th 3, Reeves, late again, futile jump, not contested
10th 3, Reeves late, falls for a ball fake, Reed jumps at Gohlke, not a contested shot.

Dude hit 9 uncontested or late contested 3s. Highly contested is just a flat out lie.
That's utter nonsense. You must have not been watching the same game.

• Haha
Reactions: crawfords corner
Another thing I noticed is how NC state approached Oakland 2 3 zone center first then shots came through him like anyone that knows basketball 101 will know to beat a two three zone utilizing the center first we have a absolute idiot for a coach

It’s shocking that as well as nc state defended golhke that they needed a bonehead final play by Oakland to get the game to overtime.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Every time that dude was running off of a screen or double screen he should’ve gotten blasted by whoever was guarding the screener. Nothing dirty, just make the guy run through you. We had enough depth to absorb fouls and they were pretty terrible at the line.

Guy hits 7 threes in the first half. Takes 20 shots for the whole game. Yet he didn’t seem tired. People are complaining that shots weren’t contested but you can contest a shot before the guy even gets the ball.

If the guy is going to run around screens all night then light him up every time he tries to come off a screen like a boxer taking body shots for 8 rounds. Hard hedge and sell out completely and occasionally trap him with length.

Problem is freshman are not physical enough to execute that kind of plan. Or they weren’t given that plan or a combination of the two.

But even with him hitting 10 threes UK should’ve still won by double digits. No excuse to lose to a team like that. The 10 3’s should’ve just made it closer than what it should’ve been which was a 20 point beating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT