ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

My daughter finished 2nd in her first tournament of the summer. Lost by 1 stroke so hopefully all of the harping on her I have done about staying focused and planning every shot sinks in.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Im not a get off my lawn guy AT ALL, except for when i am, anyway i dont mind the smoking but doing it signing autographs is kinda tacky.

I guess I don't get the reference? 🤷‍♂️
Todd Marinovich was a famous college quarterback many years ago, whose father was a helicopter parent on steroids. Marinovich never turned out to be worth a damn in the NFL, And lots of people blamed his father.

Reactions: cole854
Todd Marinovich was a famous college quarterback many years ago, whose father was a helicopter parent on steroids. Marinovich never turned out to be worth a damn in the NFL, And lots of people blamed his father.
Listen my daughter could walk away today and I would be fine with it. It cost me a lot of money in country club fees, buying a golf cart, travel expenses, golf clubs, other supplies, etc for her to play. She does it because she loves it not because I am making her.

Listen my daughter could walk away today and I would be fine with it. It cost me a lot of money in country club fees, buying a golf cart, travel expenses, golf clubs, other supplies, etc for her to play. She does it because she loves it not because I am making her.
I'm not the one that made the reference.Just explaining it because you said you didn't understand it.Wish I had a daughter that wanted to play Golf.Neither one of mine had any interest at all

Speaking of playing golf, Nelly Korda made a 10 on a hole today in the US Open en route to an 80. 🤮

I dont feel quite as bad about my game now, if it can happen to the world's number one.

Im not a get off my lawn guy AT ALL,

That's because your lawn looks like this...

my-lawn-is-a-dumpster-fire-of-weeds-lumps-and-bad-grading-v0-3f9gdr7667eb1.jpg

McIntyre, with his dad on the bag, was great viewing.

US Open qualifying is great theater as well.

Can't get consistent with my game this year. 40 on front, 49 on back, 42 and 54, etc. Could be fatigue. Have played a lot of golf, for me, this year.

I can't stand McIntyre, and yesterday bitching about the drone overhead just adds to it. The announcer on the telecast rightfully lite his ass up over it. Saying it is now and in the future, will be a big part of bringing the best golf coverage to the fans. Said he was the only golfer to ever make a big deal about it and the drone was very far away and would be really difficult to hear. Said he had better get used to it and have tougher skin for when he gets to the elite level of golf on the big stage.

^ Kirchdorfer is one of partners that bought Valhalla I believe.
Glad we got a sponsor I have never heard of that company to be honest, I assume it will still move to Louisville next year if they can find a home.

Glad we got a sponsor I have never heard of that company to be honest, I assume it will still move to Louisville next year if they can find a home.

Hurstbourne turned it down - too much traffic thru the neighborhood. Cardinal Club (ULGC) - they've been to at least 3 times to review but not sure where the decision ended up. Would be shocked if it doesn't end up at Valhalla eventually.

Saw where ping has come out with the ChipR - any of you own or tried any of these chipper clubs? I can't imagine that they're worth a damn (especially to a single digit handicapper), but they're selling the hell out of them.

I"ve never owned OR tried one, and doubt I will, just more curious than anything. I mean, what would you take out of the bag, to make room for such a limited use club?

Hurstbourne turned it down - too much traffic thru the neighborhood. Cardinal Club (ULGC) - they've been to at least 3 times to review but not sure where the decision ended up. Would be shocked if it doesn't end up at Valhalla eventually.

Not to rehash our previous discussion, but would be shocked if Valhalla agreed to host an off event, opposite the Scottish Open. Yesterday at Champions the idea of holding it at Persimmon was discussed. Very difficult layout but is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, doesn't seem like an ideal location to me.

I assume the other good private clubs in Louisville would also turn down the PGA, e.g., Lou Country Club or Big Spring?

^ Haven't heard any other potential locations outside of Cardinal Club to this point. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Some of the other courses discussed are fine in terms of playability, but they are not conducive to having galleries, concessions, etc. Simply put the overall space isn't there. Champions has the space, but it is a nightmare with their logistics for fans who want to watch action on the front and back. There wasn't really any other options for a PGA course in Central KY other than Kearney, but the tour wanted to have a more "prestigious" private club on the books.

Some of the other courses discussed are fine in terms of playability, but they are not conducive to having galleries, concessions, etc. Simply put the overall space isn't there. Champions has the space, but it is a nightmare with their logistics for fans who want to watch action on the front and back. There wasn't really any other options for a PGA course in Central KY other than Kearney, but the tour wanted to have a more "prestigious" private club on the books.

I have talked to PGA and Champions folks both about an easement that runs from #11 tee box across the street to #15 fairway and how it could be easily utilized to move fans from #10 to back nine, but so far has fallen on deaf ears. I even sent them a copy of the HOA restrictions which specifically grant rights for golf tournaments and a copy of the plat showing the easement. TBH, don't know what it takes.

But to be fair, a lot of modern courses are spread way the hell out. Was at the PGA two weeks ago, and for example, if you want to go from no. 3 or 4 all the way over to 10 and 11 at Valhalla, it is a long ass walk.

Reactions: cole854 and parrott
I have talked to PGA and Champions folks both about an easement that runs from #11 tee box across the street to #15 fairway and how it could be easily utilized to move fans from #10 to back nine, but so far has fallen on deaf ears. I even sent them a copy of the HOA restrictions which specifically grant rights for golf tournaments and a copy of the plat showing the easement. TBH, don't know what it takes.

But to be fair, a lot of modern courses are spread way the hell out. Was at the PGA two weeks ago, and for example, if you want to go from no. 3 or 4 all the way over to 10 and 11 at Valhalla, it is a long ass walk.

Neighborhoods on these golf courses generally cause an issue, for sure. The layout at Champions is just odd, imo.

You are correct on the modern courses and space. Bethpage is a monster in terms of space. On the flip side is East Lake, which is the most convenient course/tournament I have ever been to in terms of seeing many holes easily. Firestone is similar as well.

Off topic but recently played in a competitive lex am tour event.

One player in my 4some, who was actually in the first flight, grounded his club behind the ball and hit the sand on his backswing on two separate occasions in bunkers.

I didn’t say anything and he did not call a penalty on himself. As a 0-5 handicap, I definitely felt like he knows the rules.

At the end of the round I thought about telling him in case one day he runs into someone who won’t put up with cheating in a money game, but then figured I’d never see the guy again so hell with it.

I know there are good players in this thread that play a lot. Would you have called him out when it happened, told him after, turned him into tournament director, or left it alone?

It never affected me in the tourney, but I left the course thinking it might affect someone else one day.

The Marinovich barb was way out of line

One player in my 4some, who was actually in the first flight, grounded his club behind the ball and hit the sand on his backswing on two separate occasions in bunkers.

I didn’t say anything and he did not call a penalty on himself. As a 0-5 handicap, I definitely felt like he knows the rules.

At the end of the round I thought about telling him in case one day he runs into someone who won’t put up with cheating in a money game, but then figured I’d never see the guy again so hell with it.

I know there are good players in this thread that play a lot. Would you have called him out when it happened, told him after, turned him into tournament director, or left it alone?

It never affected me in the tourney, but I left the course thinking it might affect someone else one day.
Left it alone

Speaking of playing golf, Nelly Korda made a 10 on a hole today in the US Open en route to an 80. 🤮

I dont feel quite as bad about my game now, if it can happen to the world's number one.
In the 70s while out in California with IBM, I played Rancho Park in LA which at one time hosted a tour event. On the 18th tee there is plaque dedicated to Arnie’s taking a 12 or 13 on that hole (can’t remember which)

On a personal note, been trying to break 70 forever. Have shot 70 on numerous occasions. Now that I’m 80 and playing from the senior tees I’ve had way more chances.

Well on Memorial Day I finally did it. 7 birdies, an eagle, only 2 bogies for a 65.

Edit: just did a little research. Palmer made a 12 on that 18th hole in the 1961 LA open. The plaque was stolen at some point and a new one was installed in 2017

Reactions: Get Bucket$

As a follow-up, our assistant pro told me this morning that word is that the owner of ISCO, who is also co-owner of Valhalla, has already said no way will they host an off event at Valhalla

Take it FWIW

Should have called a penalty

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT