ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

GHwhVQsbIAAqx22

• Love
Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Damn golf prices have skyrocketed on "nice" courses!
I was looking up the top 100 public courses, thinking of taking my son on a golf trip hitting 4-5 of them for his graduation. And several were >$300.

My favorite course anywhere, Tobacco Road (in Sanford NC, so <1hr away) isn't far from this year's US Open at Pinehurst #2. And TR has their rates the week of the Open (which is also his first week out of school) to $342. But, their rates other weeks are still in the mid-upper $200's. 15-20 years ago I could play that course for $49-79.

For comparison sake, I joined a golf club 1:15 min away, but for only $300 for a full year. I still have to pay cart fee, but still that is an incredible price. As for the quality of the course, it's a 2.5*, although I'd give the greens a 3.5 (4 if they were just a little faster) and the layout a 4. But fairways are a 2. But I still like it there.

Damn golf prices have skyrocketed on "nice" courses!
I was looking up the top 100 public courses, thinking of taking my son on a golf trip hitting 4-5 of them for his graduation. And several were >$300.

My favorite course anywhere, Tobacco Road (in Sanford NC, so <1hr away) isn't far from this year's US Open at Pinehurst #2. And TR has their rates the week of the Open (which is also his first week out of school) to $342. But, their rates other weeks are still in the mid-upper $200's. 15-20 years ago I could play that course for $49-79.

For comparison sake, I joined a golf club 1:15 min away, but for only $300 for a full year. I still have to pay cart fee, but still that is an incredible price. As for the quality of the course, it's a 2.5*, although I'd give the greens a 3.5 (4 if they were just a little faster) and the layout a 4. But fairways are a 2. But I still like it there.
Maintenance costs skyrocketed since Covid plus high inflation, but I think it also comes down to folks are still willing to shell it out so the courses will continue to charge it. Supply and demand. When people start refusing to pay these prices they will come down.

Maintenance costs skyrocketed since Covid plus high inflation, but I think it also comes down to folks are still willing to shell it out so the courses will continue to charge it. Supply and demand. When people start refusing to pay these prices they will come down.
Just speaking locally, Andover, Spring Valley, Lone Oak and Cabin Brook have closed in recent years. Champions/Keene now full w/a waiting list and initiation now $15K or so, much different than before Covid

Anyone watching the new season of the golf documentary on Netflix? Just started it yesterday but season 1 was pretty good. DJ definitely outkicked his coverage with Paulina, just saying.

Anybody gamble on PGA golf? Friday morning I took Wyndham Clark at 12-1 and Matt Fitzpatrick at 20-1. Feeling pretty good today, although I would have preferred that Clark not play 17 yesterday like Tskware would have. :(

When you stand to win a couple hundred dollars, I can see the truth of the old saying about the PGA tour . . . "every shot makes someone happy"

Anybody gamble on PGA golf? Friday morning I took Wyndham Clark at 12-1 and Matt Fitzpatrick at 20-1. Feeling pretty good today, although I would have preferred that Clark not play 17 yesterday like Tskware would have. :(

When you stand to win a couple hundred dollars, I can see the truth of the old saying about the PGA tour . . . "every shot makes someone happy"
Fan Duel has given a 25% profit boost each day. Didn't do anything Thursday. Friday's I work from home so I look at the feature groups and play who is going to win their group. Both picks tied on Friday. Took Schauffle at 5/1 so I gave 6.25/1 on him today. Took Aberg to be the top European finisher today at 6.5/1 so I got 8.2/1. He's tied with McIlroy and 4 behind Fitzpatrick.

Caught this whole scene. You could tell Rickie was already agitated before he teed off on 16. He pointed at the lady that was kneeled down next to me and you could hear her camera clicking. Another guy had the click on his phone, who was also right next to me.

- Course was in amazing shape. Wish the greens were a little more firm and a little more wind to make it interesting.

- That putt for Clark was crushing. Dude immediately broke down. I still think Scottie wins the playoff but it would have been nice to see 2-3 play some bonus golf.

• Sad
Reactions: Tskware
I do not play golf, but my son does.
He wants to get better, but has never had any lessons. I've encouraged him to take them, but he's hesitant. He has been playing for a little over 2 years and generally shoots 88-98, from the back tees, and he scores legitimately and does not improve his lie.

Generally-speaking:
1) How many lessons should a player take ?? I was thinking around six (6), or so.
2) What kind of improvement can reasonably be expected ??
Thanks, in advance.

I wouldn't go into it thinking of number of lessons. Maybe try a couple coaches for 1 or 2 sessions then when he's comfortable with someone, start working out how involved and how long they go (and how much you want to spend on it) .

Reactions: megablue
Best thing to do is find out who the good coaches are in your area and try a few out and see who is a good fit and then go from there. How many lessons completely depends on the person and how quickly they can learn and apply it to their muscle memory. I know guys who have had tons of lessons and barely get better because they do not practice what they learn and just think there is a silver bullet swing thought that is going to magically change their game. I would not waste any time or money on lessons unless there is a true commitment to practicing and that does not mean beating tons of balls at the range. A lot of the work should be without a ball at home by constantly working on the movements the coach is teaching.

Speaking for myself, I started in my late 20's. Was terrible and could not understand why. Got a lesson with a video analysis of my swing which was a major learning moment that transformed my game into at least being a competent player rather quickly but took a ton of practice, rounds, etc. and many more lessons to work my way to a single digit HC.

Reactions: megablue
Glad for Malnati, but he got an incredible, but legal, break when the nearest point of relief on 16 was on the green due to a sprinkler head, instead of remaining in a really tough lie in deep rough. Now he won by two, and maybe he gets it up or down for par anyway.

But . . . seems that the rules of golf could be amended to state that the nearest point of relief, if possible, has to be in an area where you have to drop the ball in the same condition as the original condition, e.g., rough or bunker. He could have easily taken a half step sideways, keeping the sprinkler head between him and the green, and dropped in the rough.

I know the rule, and he did nothing illegal, but I just have a problem with that rule which sometimes results in a major gift to the player. Seems to violate the spirit of "play the ball as it lies"

I’ll be in Lexington next week for work. Got a coworker coming from out of state. We are playing the Big Blue Course. Any other recs in the area that’s public?

Some of these PGA leaderboards look like Korn Ferry leaderboards.
Possibly, but I saw Akshay Bhatia play in person last year, and he has a ton of game. Only 22 I think and has been on some leaderboards this year already, finished yesterday with a 3 shot lead in Texas Open. Can hit it a long way, and is 15th in total driving for the season, but more importantly, went to the long putter in the offseason, a la Lucas Glover, and his putting has improved dramatically.

Last edited:
Wild scramble last night. We started a $10 side bet per player and the team with the most birdies wins straight up. Partner and I got down 2 early. I had a Tiger on 16 like chip-in on this nasty par 3. That ended up holding and pocketed a 1/3 of the pot. We tied most birds on the last hole so left with $200.

As we're leaving and passing the 9th green, some loser was trying to fight the little guy in our group because he was "talking shit" to them. We never even got close enough to their group the entire evening to even talk shit. One of our guys hollered at his buddy who was in front of us but we're talking 200 yards ahead holler.

Then loser tells us he's a member, which the guy he's bullying is and his much larger friend who is growing increasingly irate is, as well.

Nothing actually happened other than some words and our guy caught up with him in the parking lot and basically told him what a bitch he was.

Pretty exciting overall. At least more entertaining than usual. Been a minute since I've encountered a super d-bag on the course.

Nelly Korda rolling. 4 straight.

USA w/ the #1 and #2 LPGA players in the world in what seems like forever.

Suppose you were playing a round, and you win a large sum of cash if you can make par for the round. Most of us will never do that even once. But to help your odds, you can have a (random) pro golfer either:
A: "hit all of your drives & 3W shots for you"
B: "hit all of your full iron (fairways & par 3's) shots for you"
C: "do all of your short (<20yd) chips and putts for you", which are you taking?

I think for most golfers, they should take C.
For me, an 18 handicap, A makes the most sense, and B would be 2nd. Avoiding 4-5 penalty strokes, and 4-5 others from the woods, not to mention an extra 50-100 yards would be huge. The pro's only saving me at most 1/2 a stroke per hole on chips & putts.

Last edited:
Suppose you were playing a round, and you win a large sum of cash if you can make par for the round. Most of us will never do that even once. But to help your odds, you can have a (random) pro golfer either:
A: "hit all of your drives & 3W shots for you"
B: "hit all of your full iron (fairways & par 3's) shots for you"
C: "do all of your short (<20yd) chips and putts for you", which are you taking?

I think for most golfers, they should take C.
For me, A makes the most sense, and B would be 2nd.
It's A.

A makes B and C easier for the average player. That's more balls in play and away from trouble. Also it can be 50+ yards closer on every approach.

Reactions: ukalum01
I said B because a pro could clean up mistakes on a drive and get me closer to the pin on approach shots. The distance of the drive and 3 woods is appealing, but a pro being able to get a shot 170 and in and getting it to stop on the green with a short iron versus my short iron is no contest.

Anyone who doesn't say C thinks more highly of your game than you probably should. Pro's will shave several strokes over average golfers with short game alone.
Wrong. I know I'm not good. But I'm bad because I play like this: tee shot OB, tee shot in woods, tee shot 150 yards requiring 4I or 3W 2nd shot which goes into woods, all that in just first 3 holes. My short game is good (anything 150y+ is not good), won a local 9-hole tournament (50 golfers) event last fall (score-handicap+putts, so each putt counted twice). I had 10-11 putts. Last fall I shot an all time best 84, where I'm not sure I was on-in-regulation more than 1-2 holes, but got up-&-down almost every hole (a few of my bogeys included having to take a penalty stroke). Years ago I played 18 using full set of clubs, then replayed 9 with just my 7-iron and putter, shot the same 9-hole score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT