ADVERTISEMENT

Global Climate Changes

The total solar, wind, and hydro electricity generation is about %18.7 of the total U.S. utility scale electricity generation per the links below.

None of these "green" energy sources provide on demand capability to power the grid and all are destructive to the environment in various ways. IOW, They aren't really "green" at all. Hopefully I don't need to explain why this is the case.

So what's the plan? Hope for some miracle while crippling our economy?

Today, over 3% of U.S. electricity comes from solar energy in the form of solar photovoltaics (PV) and concentrating solar-thermal power (CSP).

In 2021, wind turbines were the source of about 9.2% of total U.S. utility-scale electricity generation.

In 2021, total U.S. conventional hydroelectricity generation was about 260 billion kilowatthours (kWh), equal to about 6.5% of total U.S. utility-scale electricity generation.

I might add that in my neck of the woods, there is a strong push by the feds controlling both Washington and Idaho to remove our river dams and start ramping up solar. Got to save the salmon! This is a huge problem affecting not only the environment, but also agriculture transportation and commerce.

It's a typical incompetent, corrupt, ill conceived government disaster being forced on our country.

1. You should be far more concerned about the amount of greenhouse gases deposited in the atmosphere by volcanoes than by humans. Big difference in the threat posed by one versus another.

I see you ignored the person who corrected you on this. Here's the link they posted, again. Despite it being a oft-repeated talking point, volcano CO2 emissions are much, much lower than anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Like, 1 to 2% as large.

Emissions of methane from volcanoes is also not particularly large. Human activity is responsible for the majority of methane emissions, and natural decay activity, primarily in wetlands, being the primary natural source.

I see you ignored the person who corrected you on this. Here's the link they posted, again. Despite it being a oft-repeated talking point, volcano CO2 emissions are much, much lower than anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Like, 1 to 2% as large.

Emissions of methane from volcanoes is also not particularly large. Human activity is responsible for the majority of methane emissions, and natural decay activity, primarily in wetlands, being the primary natural source.
And you obviously didn't do any research since we can maintain 300-400PPM which is considered in the normal range and never have any issues. Keep glazing over the fact that nothing that has been done over the last 120 years has caused us to get drastically hotter or colder, and there is absolutely zero science that says we are on any type of collision course with nature. It has been spewed over the last 40 years but continually proves to be incorrect. So keep glazing over the facts which are that any metrics you throw out typically don't amount to much of anything at all.

for the lost homes and at least 37 dead is growing.

“It may be too early to tell, but I’ve received a couple phone calls already,” said Ned Pillersdorf, a Kentucky lawyer in Prestonburg who has successfully sued coal companies for flood damage in the past. “No one is denying the amount of rain we had — it truly was a 1,000 year event — but did the strip mines contribute? Absolutely.”

Kentucky, particularly the eastern mountains, are littered with abandoned coal mines. Many are a result of strip mining or mountaintop removal mining, the latter a method in which mining companies use explosives to blast off a mountain’s summit to get to the coal inside.

1,000 year flood event. Oh, but a zillion years ago, my favorite dinosaur was………

The recent flooding is a catastrophe in any sense of the word. In terms of history, it needs context. Until fairly recently, the flood stage there wasn't measured in feet like it is today. It was measured by how many courthouse steps were covered. There are several historical pictures of Knott, Perry, and letcher showing flood waters this high or worse

So it's correct to say this is the highest flood stage measured in feet. Not correct to say it's the largest ever because that can't be determined.

That said, if climate change was really the culprit there would be escalating floods annually. Hardly the case at all.

I'm always for suing people at fault. Ned's a nice guy but clearly majorly reaching here.

Reactions: vhcat70 and rupp876
The other point about flooding is an Obama era epa rule stopped the practice of creek and river dredging. Dredging is critical to minimizing flood damage. If they can't do it, flood damage will keep happening.

Like the Obama era rules stopping the clearing of brush in California and national parks, causing massive wildfires, it's caused by man made stupidity. Yet those same people blame the climate.

Few things wrong here.

1) Earth’s climate changing many times “naturally” actually reinforces the reality that changes in environmental factors affects climate.

2) Human impact on environment is not small and stating that is not hubris. Look at pictures of earth from space and how much of the planet has light at night. How many other organisms have this impact? How many other organisms cause smog in LA or leave islands of plastic in the Pacific? Or cause mass extinction due to elimination of biomes?

3) Regardless of any event being attributed or not attributed to climate change, no one can deny humans are causing changes to the environment and usually doing so negatively.

4) Given the mass impact of humans on the planet, impact on environment is and should be a real concern. If we detach from political positions and cliche arguments, impossible to deny this.
So uh.... Kill yourself. It's the only way to save the planet. You should talk fellow activist into taking the plunge as well. The 700 million of us rational human beings left will pick up the pieces and carry on.

The other point about flooding is an Obama era epa rule stopped the practice of creek and river dredging. Dredging is critical to minimizing flood damage. If they can't do it, flood damage will keep happening.

Like the Obama era rules stopping the clearing of brush in California and national parks, causing massive wildfires, it's caused by man made stupidity. Yet those same people blame the climate.
I know it is too much to ask people to quit wasting their time watching their horrible Partisan "news" channels or visiting the incredibly horrible partisan websites for information. At minimum, if you are on one of the Republican "News" sources and it mentions Obama, or if you are on a Democrat "news" source and it mentions Trump please take the five seconds necessary to determine if what is being said is true.

In 2014, Obama signed into law the Water Resources Reform and Development Act. A Bi-partisan piece of legislation that did many things including increasing the amount of dredging for US rivers, ports and harbors. If there is some other "rule" that then went on to reduce the impact of the bill that he signed, then please point it out. Also, if anyone wants to bother with searching for the "rule" regarding forest fires feel free. My guess is that it will have the same result.

I know it is too much to ask people to quit wasting their time watching their horrible Partisan "news" channels or visiting the incredibly horrible partisan websites for information. At minimum, if you are on one of the Republican "News" sources and it mentions Obama, or if you are on a Democrat "news" source and it mentions Trump please take the five seconds necessary to determine if what is being said is true.

In 2014, Obama signed into law the Water Resources Reform and Development Act. A Bi-partisan piece of legislation that did many things including increasing the amount of dredging for US rivers, ports and harbors. If there is some other "rule" that then went on to reduce the impact of the bill that he signed, then please point it out. Also, if anyone wants to bother with searching for the "rule" regarding forest fires feel free. My guess is that it will have the same result.

I don't watch the news of any sort. I find it ironic you want me to stop watching the news, while posting a news link. Another internet genius thinking they know something because they found something on the internet while sipping their pumpkin spice latte.

I'm telling you from personal knowledge by talking to local leaders in that area. Not because of something I read on the internet.

It doesn't matter what a headline tells you it says. It just matters what it actually does. It's been that way at least 30 years.

Same thing with the denial of the coal permits from the same era. The epa and Obama's team swore they weren't doing anything new. Yet they would issue barely any mining permits. This isn't a comment about whether or not coal was good or bad. Just another example of the difference between what was said and what was done.

So until they replace the counterproductive mindset of the current iteration of the epa, we'll keep having massive wildfires and floods; certain people will constantly throw their hands in the air and blame the climate; the money and rules/regulations will continue to flow; and we will all dearly pay for it.

And you obviously didn't do any research since we can maintain 300-400PPM which is considered in the normal range and never have any issues. Keep glazing over the fact that nothing that has been done over the last 120 years has caused us to get drastically hotter or colder, and there is absolutely zero science that says we are on any type of collision course with nature. It has been spewed over the last 40 years but continually proves to be incorrect. So keep glazing over the facts which are that any metrics you throw out typically don't amount to much of anything at all.
Brilliant points but, unfortunately you're wasting your time. Man-caused global warming/climate change/climate equity (whatever the hell that is) is a religious cult with them.
The bottom line is that even if human activity were entirely to blame for any worldwide change in temps, neither India or China are willing to slow down their fossil fuel-powered juggernauts. Faced with those facts, wrecking the US economy would seem suicidal.

Hahaha.

Here's how to cope: stop worrying about the earth spinning because there's nothing you can do.

If someone is literally worrying daily about the earth spinning, you have it too good and lack real problems in your life

The faster Earth rotates the slower time moves. We could have some interesting Neil degrasse Tyson talks about the rotation.

I don't watch the news of any sort. I find it ironic you want me to stop watching the news, while posting a news link. Another internet genius thinking they know something because they found something on the internet while sipping their pumpkin spice latte.

I'm telling you from personal knowledge by talking to local leaders in that area. Not because of something I read on the internet.

It doesn't matter what a headline tells you it says. It just matters what it actually does. It's been that way at least 30 years.

Same thing with the denial of the coal permits from the same era. The epa and Obama's team swore they weren't doing anything new. Yet they would issue barely any mining permits. This isn't a comment about whether or not coal was good or bad. Just another example of the difference between what was said and what was done.

So until they replace the counterproductive mindset of the current iteration of the epa, we'll keep having massive wildfires and floods; certain people will constantly throw their hands in the air and blame the climate; the money and rules/regulations will continue to flow; and we will all dearly pay for it.
What I posted was a link to the actual legislation. It is not a news link. It is actually the law of the land which provides resources and requirements for doing the actual things that you claim are the reason we are having issues. And of course, that is followed up by another round of talking points. The EPA is not the reason we had flooding in Eastern Kentucky, and no amount of new coal permits would address this issue either.

What I posted was a link to the actual legislation. It is not a news link. It is actually the law of the land which provides resources and requirements for doing the actual things that you claim are the reason we are having issues. And of course, that is followed up by another round of talking points. The EPA is not the reason we had flooding in Eastern Kentucky, and no amount of new coal permits would address this issue either.

It isn't talking points. It's facts. The written word is one thing. Interpretation of it is quite another. If the epa isn't allowing it, it can't be done.

Again it's the difference between someone that knows what they're talking about and someone reading something on the internet.

Reactions: P19978
This is what a cult looks like. Kids are obese bc we inject sugar in them and sit them behind tablets

No doubt. Using Lexington as an example it definitely doesn't look like we are abnormally hot given 7 out of 14 years between 1930 and 1944 the high temp was in the triple digits. This included a 104 degree day in 1930 and multiple 108 degree days in 1936 (which by the way is the hottest recorded temperature in Lexington's history still to this day). Hard for me to buy into a couple of trillion dollar spend every year to fix something that has no real proof it even exists.

No doubt. Using Lexington as an example it definitely doesn't look like we are abnormally hot given 7 out of 14 years between 1930 and 1944 the high temp was in the triple digits. This included a 104 degree day in 1930 and multiple 108 degree days in 1936 (which by the way is the hottest recorded temperature in Lexington's history still to this day). Hard for me to buy into a couple of trillion dollar spend every year to fix something that has no real proof it even exists.

And all those temps were revised down. Nasa looked through the data and decided that every weather station in the US overstated temps and only overstated. Weird that the people building thermostats back then all had it wrong the exact same way.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The politicians are getting what they want. Pay off lobbying interests with subsidies and incentives. I suspect those interests will then help fund campaigns and so forth and so forth. The Solendra scheme. The local political solution to a global fear. $$$$$$

I was watching the local news last night in Winston Salem, NC and they did a two minute segment on global warming and the extreme temperatures across the US. Right after that, the girl doing the weather said that we would be having 10-15 degree temperatures lower than average this week. You can’t make this sh!t up. Common sense is just uncommon today. We can’t control crap, it’s all in God’s hands. We have so many atheists that think we can control everything. Good luck with that!

• Haha
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Watching Jerrod Carmichaels stand-up from 2016-ish titled "8" (one of the highest rated stand ups from that year so check it out)..

Trump must have just won the election and he starts off with that and he's kind of ambivalent. Then tells the crowd that he doesn't care about Global warming. He says "is it THAT dire? Why are you so worried?"

And someone from the audience goes "Rising Rivers".. yes, RISING water levels was the global warming fear back then lol.

JC: "Ehh that's alright.. so a little extra water, we good!"

Sure it is.

When our government prints more than a trillion dollars in the name of climate change, it negatively impacts inflation.
I didn't even bother to respond to his idiotic post.

By his logic, my weekly grocery shopping also negatively impacts inflation lol.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
And in the 85 years ending in 2016, Switzerland’s glaciers lost an area the size of Manhattan every ten years.

The before-and-after imagery is stunning.

The analysis, conducted by scientists at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research, resulted in a striking visual contrast between Switzerland’s glaciers today and what they looked like nearly a century ago.
Given the record-high temperatures that enveloped vast swaths of the Northern Hemisphere this summer, Daniel Farinotti, a glaciologist and co-author of the study, told CNN that he expects this year’s glacier loss will be the worst.
“The year 2022 is extreme — not only have we had a very snow-poor winter, we also had an extremely warm summer, and this combination is truly the worst case,” Farinotti said. “We expect this year’s losses to be larger than the ones experienced in 2003, which so far was the ‘record year,’ in the negative sense, for glacier mass loss.”
Glacier loss causes ecoystem loss across plants and animals. It also affects the landscape’s appearance and impacts local tourism. And, importantly, glaciers are a critical source of fresh water for drinking and agriculture that disappears as the ice recedes.
“If glaciers were to disappear entirely, various regions might face issues related to water supplies — especially during summers such as we have had and are still having this year,” said Farinotti.
Farinotti said researchers expect to see another 60% loss in glacier mass by the end of the century — even if the world meets the climate targets set by the 2015 Paris Agreement.
“If climate change were to continue unabated, we might well find ourselves with European Alps that are virtually ice-free,” Farinotti warned.

“If glaciers were to disappear entirely, various regions might face issues related to water supplies — especially during summers such as we have had and are still having this year,” said Farinotti

And, we are told to expect more rain. I think we will manage.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-fact-Earths-temperature-risen-15-years.html

World's top climate scientists told to 'cover up' the fact that the Earth's temperature hasn't risen for the last 15 years​

• Leaked United Nations report reveals the world's temperature hasn't risen for the last 15 years
  • Politicians have raised concerns about the final draft
  • Fears that the findings will encourage deniers of man-made climate change

Lack of temperature increase could lead people to think temps aren't rising....

And in the 85 years ending in 2016, Switzerland’s glaciers lost an area the size of Manhattan every ten years.

The analysis, conducted by scientists at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research, resulted in a striking visual contrast between Switzerland’s glaciers today and what they looked like nearly a century ago.
Given the record-high temperatures that enveloped vast swaths of the Northern Hemisphere this summer, Daniel Farinotti, a glaciologist and co-author of the study, told CNN that he expects this year’s glacier loss will be the worst.
“The year 2022 is extreme — not only have we had a very snow-poor winter, we also had an extremely warm summer, and this combination is truly the worst case,” Farinotti said. “We expect this year’s losses to be larger than the ones experienced in 2003, which so far was the ‘record year,’ in the negative sense, for glacier mass loss.”
Glacier loss causes ecoystem loss across plants and animals. It also affects the landscape’s appearance and impacts local tourism. And, importantly, glaciers are a critical source of fresh water for drinking and agriculture that disappears as the ice recedes.
“If glaciers were to disappear entirely, various regions might face issues related to water supplies — especially during summers such as we have had and are still having this year,” said Farinotti.
Farinotti said researchers expect to see another 60% loss in glacier mass by the end of the century — even if the world meets the climate targets set by the 2015 Paris Agreement.
“If climate change were to continue unabated, we might well find ourselves with European Alps that are virtually ice-free,” Farinotti warned.
That doesn't mean temps are rising. It means temps went up enough at some point to cause melt off, but doesn't mean temps continued/continue to rise, just that the melt off continued at the minorly higher average temps. BTW, the Glacier Bay AK glacier has meted back miles in the last 100 years. So what?

That doesn't mean temps are rising. It means temps went up enough at some point to cause melt off, but doesn't mean temps continued/continue to rise, just that the melt off continued at the minorly higher average temps. BTW, the Glacier Bay AK glacier has meted back miles in the last 100 years. So what?
So what, you ask? Yes everyone do t listen to the experts. Listen to VHCat from The Cat Paw. 😂😂

It's useless. These goons on this site know more than the people who study this for a living. Just ask them.

We have had 5 (1000 year floods) in the last month in the following areas:

eastern Kentucky
Death valley
Dallas
Illinois
St. Louis

Reactions: UKfan34
It's useless. These goons on this site know more than the people who study this for a living. Just ask them.
yep, it’d be like going to SEC media days and pretending to know more than Saban, fisher, Smart.

but overall and outside of 🐈‍⬛ paw, 2/3’s of people believe in climate change.

Reactions: UKfan34
yep, it’d be like going to SEC media days and pretending to know more than Saban, fisher, Smart.

but overall and outside of 🐈‍⬛ paw, 2/3’s of people believe in climate change.
Yeah thankfully they aren't a microcosm of society. It just seems that way sometimes since they're usually the loudest. When and why did education and expertise take a backseat to uninformed "opinions" and nonsense?

ADVERTISEMENT