ADVERTISEMENT

GLeague Sustainability Question

jedwar

Dec 30, 2002
Rex, KY
I’m not familiar with the GL much except it’s a farm system for the NBA right? Playing in arenas in front of no one except for a few fans looks like. Does the NBA fully fund this? I can’t imagine a league like this could survive without major funding.

Who remembers the CBA?

Reactions: Fox2monk and BBUK
I’m not familiar with the GL much except it’s a farm system for the NBA right? Playing in arenas in front of no one except for a few fans looks like. Does the NBA fully fund this? I can’t imagine a league like this could survive without major funding.

Who remembers the CBA?

China funded...

Appears average attendance is around 1,600. No clue what type of gyms they even play in but I always thought it was a terrible idea to begin with. If I ever accidentally catch a single second of G league action on TV I’ll still be pissed at myself for watching that garbage.

The way for the G-League to gain fan popularity is for the NBA to adopt a relegation system. Stops teams from tanking as well. NBA will never do it because they can’t risk a major market team being relegated.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Appears average attendance is around 1,600. No clue what type of gyms they even play in but I always thought it was a terrible idea to begin with. If I ever accidentally catch a single second of G league action on TV I’ll still be pissed at myself for watching that garbage.
It's not much for the spectators but a lot of players have praised it for helping their games take off and earn an NBA contract.
They do teach the pro game.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Who remembers the CBA?
I believe they do, it just an investment for them to get fringe players or young players Time BCS identify players who may get drafted later or deserve a spot to performance.

Reactions: jedwar
I noticed the game that Oscar and Jacob Toppin played in was the pacers home arena. I think. Looked like it on the highlight. Looked vastly empty.

I noticed the game that Oscar and Jacob Toppin played in was the pacers home arena. I think. Looked like it on the highlight. Looked vastly empty.

That could be a regular season game if the arena being empty is what we’re going by

Who remembers the CBA?
I'd imagine the NBA doesn't need it to be profitable (yes, they run it and fund it). It's a pretty inexpensive practice league for them. G-league contracts are only like $40k, plus they get to have the two-way players they can bring up and send down.

I think the G-leage in general will be fine... these farm teams have existed for a while, and they serve as good leagues for NBA teams to develop players. The Houston rockets routinely send it's young stars to it if they are struggling, and will then call them back up when they are doing well. It also gives smaller 3rd or 4th rate cities a chance to have some sports and maybe catch some future NBA players.

The problem though, is the G-League Ignite, which is specifically designed for Highschool athletes to go to instead of college. I'm not sure all the details here, someone else can fill them in.. But what I do see is a LOT of failed Ignite players and busts (OTE is another league), kids that probably should have gone the college route and not try to play semi-pro ball against 30 year old journeymen.

You have guys like Hardy, Nix, Scoot Henderson who are just not very good.. then you have some guys like Jalen Green and Kuminga, who are starting to come along in the NBA.. but still far off from their ranking. The Thompson brothers this year.. look decent. But nothing great in my eyes so far.

It seems to me that almost every HS player who opts for the G-League, gets exposed pretty badly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT