ADVERTISEMENT

Givony on Sheppard

How many of his players has he pushed out the door that never achieved the level of play that they would have if they stayed in college? The league is full of players who stayed in school and they didn't develop some career ending illness or receive some catastrophic injury that ended their careers. If Cal gets it wrong, does he compensate players for his bad advice? He should be advising players based on their ability to play and their maturity levels, not based on the possibility of something bad happening to them.
I don't think he has pushed out anyone who wasn't ready. Think PJ Washington. Immanuel Quickley. Tyler Ulis. Some players left who weren't ready, but that's irrelevant.

REED SHEPPARD TOPS THE SEC The college basketball analytics website EvanMiya.com features player evaluation ratings for every team in the country, and Kentucky freshman Reed Sheppard is regarded as the SEC’s most effective player, by that measure. Sheppard has a Bayesian Performance Rating (BPR) of 7.83, which is tops in the SEC, eighth in the country and first nationally among freshmen in college basketball. (Purdue’s Zach Edey, the odds-on favorite to repeat as national player of the year, has the highest BPR at 10.89.)

The top five players in the SEC, according to that metric, are Sheppard, Tennessee’s Josiah Jordan-James, Texas A&M’s Wade Taylor IV, Alabama’s Mark Sears and Alabama’s Aaron Estrada. (Taylor was picked as the SEC’s preseason player of the year.) Sears is regarded as the league’s top offensive player, and Jordan-James is No. 1 on defense. Sheppard is sixth offensively and third defensively, according to those BPR metrics — the only SEC player to rank in the top 10 in both categories

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article283766928.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
NIL isn't bad, but it can't beat the lottery money.
I can't understand why this is so hard to understand. A lotto pick is guaranteed $3.5mil in the first year. Who among you turns this down? I would like to see who all the fools are on this board.

There are going to be some disappointed fans here after this year.... I will leave it up to the kid and his parents and not coach Cal... If Cal does not want him back I am sure there are lot's of other places to play college BB.... It's not all left up to Cal, it's his problem if he handles this one wrong.... How can a coach push a kid out if they are a model player????

GBB

There are going to be some disappointed fans here after this year.... I will leave it up to the kid and his parents and not coach Cal... If Cal does not want him back I am sure there are lot's of other places to play college BB.... It's not all left up to Cal, it's his problem if he handles this one wrong.... How can a coach push a kid out if they are a model player????

GBB
Name one player Cal pushed out.
Reed can return if he wants and will be welcome.
Again, why in hell would you think Cal wouldn't want him back if it was Reed's decision to return?

I don’t see the lottery, he would be killed in the NBA, getting beat off the dribble. I think he will get better as he gets older, but I think that lowers him on draft night. First rounder, but late teens early 20’s selection.

Name one player Cal pushed out.
Reed can return if he wants and will be welcome.
Again, why in hell would you think Cal wouldn't want him back if it was Reed's decision to return?

There has been more than one say so, I can't remember who besides Boogie, but there has been more than him... If you don't think so just listen to what others have to say from the kid's being drafted... I have read a lot about it and Cal say's it himself, "players first", just what does that mean to you dude??? He more than encourages them!!!!! He recruits for the next year and tells them how hard it will be for them to play any mins....
Sorry you are blinded by your love, lol....

GBB

Reactions: KFuqua and LmdCat
He pushed Cousins out. I have heard those directly out of Boogie’s mouth.

He can’t say no nor push Reed out.
He told Boogie this...
1. If you want to help you and your family, go to the NBA.
2. If you want to help me, the fans, or the University, then stay.

He advises these kids as if they were his kids. We are talking life-changing money. Would you choose "STAY" to help out Calipari and the fans? Or, would you choose leave to help you and your family?

It's a simple decision for me...and I don't need Calipari to tell me that he advises me to leave.

Some of you have a brain the size of an acorn - or are some seriously selfish mfers.

I can't understand why this is so hard to understand. A lotto pick is guaranteed $3.5mil in the first year. Who among you turns this down? I would like to see who all the fools are on this board.
Yeah, but it doesn't make you a legend in the state of Kentucky and stuff...

Reed is what I thought he would be. Fantastic. BUT right now he is overhyped. We’ve played a couple of good teams then the rest garbage. Let’s see how he handles the grind of the sec before we anoint him. I knew he was going to be a great college player off the bat. He’s been more dialed into our program knowing what we need from the start more than any other player in uk history. So he was able to get out of the gate quick where others are still figuring it outs He has done some great things but he is overhyped now. He went from over looked to over hyped in 2 months. That tells me he isn’t close to an nba lottery pick. There are a lot of really good pro players in college basketball right now. Guys who will make an nba impact day 1. Does reed have the stamina as a freshman to make the jump? I mean he isn’t gonna compete for serious minutes in the nba for 3 years and likely would spend at least part of his first season in the G league if not all. Pump the brakes

Yeah, but it doesn't make you a legend in the state of Kentucky and stuff...
In terms of motivation that ranks between:

1037. Have my shoes shined enough to reflect clouds
1038. Become a legend in the state of Kentucky
1039. Able to belch the 1st four notes of Beethoven's Fifth on demand

I’d bet you Saul, except can’t really bet against what I agree with
I think Reed wants to win a title before leaving..he’s doing to want to accomplish what his Dad did

Until then, all: enjoy the guy while we have him
We (ok, my wife) were cleaning my son's room today and ran across a UK basketball that I'd forgotten we had, signed by Jeff #15; I'd love to add a Reed, also #15, signature to it!

Yes he has, it’s the reason we have DJ Wagner right now.
Highly persuading a kid to be smart. These kids aren't begging to come back. They do love UK and it's tough on some to make the decision, so cal does what anyone looking out for the kids Should do. Money is not always guaranteed. Go get it.

I don't think Reed will leave after one season. I think he enjoys the team comradery and the NBA is different.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love how the NBA guys always hope our guys go pro early.

If we don't win the title, Sheppard's coming back. I'll bet three months of my posting rights to anyone who wants a slice of that action, but I'm not betting into the void. If someone out there thinks Sheppard leaves after year one and simultaneously leaves Kentucky titleless, then they can bet 3 months of their posting rights against me. But I'm not betting against no one.

So for those of you guys who are certain he's gone, put it on the table and make the bet. Sheppard's not leaving here unless we win it in April.
Has nothing to do with “hoping” and everything to do with understanding college is only a preparation stage for their ultimate dream. They can live live college but that’s not their top love. And history shows that most of the time lotto talents leave, especially because common sense tells you the longer you stay, the longer nba teams pick you apart even if your stats get better

Reactions: Zissou87
Flip had to have hip surgery think that held him back.
He also was more of end of the first round range not top 15. Lastgyears draft was loaded and he knew coming would help him due to how weak the next draft would be.

Sheppard will pull Oscar-level money next year through NIL.

2025:
NPOY.
SEC player of the year.
Top 10 pick.
Leads the nation in assists.

His skillset isn't going to suddenly depreciate (this dude isn't Doron Lamb who's stock is solely contingent on how well he shoots). His ceiling is a slightly lesser version of Stockton. His floor is Kirk Hinrich.

With no title in April, he's coming back, fellas.
That’s a fan view, which isn’t reality. NIL money can’t touch lotto money unless your Bronny. Guys who come back do so because their draft stock isn’t high enough. I mean hell, look at Kentucky history of players with OAD lotto talent? One of the MAIN reason they come is to get to the NBA the fastest ( I’ve heard the Calipari sales pitch twice with my brother for Umass and then his son,)

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Doesn’t make any difference. He did NOT want to go.
Like Wagner, I'm sure Boogie is appreciative to Cals advice to go considering his injury history.
Boogie made his money on the front end of his playing career.
Just because college basketball or UK hasn't always been "players first" doesn't mean that it's wrong.
Do you really think Joe B and Sutton's guys are glad they played in their era instead of this one?
When I was growing up RMK was considered a "coaches coach" and the gold standard in CBB but yet a lot of his former players can't stand him.
Knights philosophy was the antithesis of "players first".
It was him first, Indiana second and whatever you could get for yourself was just gravy.
But hey you got a free IU education.

Doesn’t make any difference. He did NOT want to go.
It's a good thing Calipari was there to talk some sense into him.

This talk is all hinged on whether Reed is a lotto pick...though I would leave if I was guaranteed first round. It is entirely possible that the NBA doesn't value Reed as highly as others simply because of his athletic ceiling. What makes him special in college is that he is a good shooter with a high IQ. Now, he is also athletic...but not nearly as athletic as other prospects. The NBA puts a high value on athleticism. The other skills can be taught.

Cousins was ready.
He might have been ready physically, but he darn sure wasn't ready mentally. The battle going on in his head paralleled the one he participated in on the court. He was certainly a little child in a big man's body, and he left Kentucky underdeveloped mentally. That was all on Cal. If he had viewed Cousins as more than a basketball player, he would have acknowledged that Cousins had a lot of growing up to do.

Reed is what I thought he would be. Fantastic. BUT right now he is overhyped. We’ve played a couple of good teams then the rest garbage. Let’s see how he handles the grind of the sec before we anoint him. I knew he was going to be a great college player off the bat. He’s been more dialed into our program knowing what we need from the start more than any other player in uk history. So he was able to get out of the gate quick where others are still figuring it outs He has done some great things but he is overhyped now. He went from over looked to over hyped in 2 months. That tells me he isn’t close to an nba lottery pick. There are a lot of really good pro players in college basketball right now. Guys who will make an nba impact day 1. Does reed have the stamina as a freshman to make the jump? I mean he isn’t gonna compete for serious minutes in the nba for 3 years and likely would spend at least part of his first season in the G league if not all. Pump the brakes
Dude you really have some horrible takes. Reed will be a contributor day one in the nba. He might not be an immediate starter but whatever organization he goes to will be raving about his abilities. The nba loves guys with Reeds skillset. Reed will not spend one minute in the G league I promise you that. You have no discernment when it comes to any topics related to basketball.

Reactions: KFuqua
How does him being overlooked translate to him not being a lottery pick? That makes absolutely no sense. What correlates those two ideas together?

Overhyped!!!! The word overhyped shouldn't be used on this board if it isn't used to describe DJ and Edwards.

He might have been ready physically, but he darn sure wasn't ready mentally. The battle going on in his head paralleled the one he participated in on the court. He was certainly a little child in a big man's body, and he left Kentucky underdeveloped mentally. That was all on Cal. If he had viewed Cousins as more than a basketball player, he would have acknowledged that Cousins had a lot of growing up to do.
How many techs did Cuz receive his frosh year?
Did he ever cost UK a game?
Did he get in trouble off the court?
What "teaching moment" did Cal fail to take advantage of?
There was no way in hell Cuz was going to take "hard coaching"
Cal actually did instill some discipline in his game because he wanted to bring the ball up the court and Jack three pointers.
Cuz himself admits this and was mad at Cal initially.

I agree with everything you said up until...That was all on Cal.

Boogie has had behavioral issues his entire career...not just at UK. So...no one has been able to develop his behavior. Regardless, you take the money when it is available. It is never a good choice to decline and say "I will accept millions after I fix my behavior issues." You take the money and fix the behavior. Or, you take the money and fix your 3 point shot. Or, you take the money and fix your dribbling. The common denominator is "take the money". Too hard for some of you.

Boogie has had behavioral issues his entire career...not just at UK. So...no one has been able to develop his behavior. Regardless, you take the money when it is available. It is never a good choice to decline and say "I will accept millions after I fix my behavior issues." You take the money and fix the behavior. Or, you take the money and fix your 3 point shot. Or, you take the money and fix your dribbling. The common denominator is "take the money". Too hard for some of you.
Cal was his coach not his parent.
Cal has him here for 10 months, his parents had him for 18 years.
That is in no way to say they raised a bad person because that's not who Cuz is.
He's got a mouth on him but so do tons of other players.
Never been in any trouble off the court other than the domestic situation that to my knowledge nothing ever came of.

Reactions: jjsomer
Two things I wasn't ever concerned about with Reed. His shooting and his passing. I had no idea he'd be that good of a defender. I also didn't know he'd be that poised. All of our freshmen seem to be poiseh
Reed has had an amazing year thus far. Sees the court and anticipates at an elite level but he is not an elite defender. He gets beat off the dribble and has difficulty staying in front of his man. He does have the ability to correct some of that with the behind the back shot blocking he has but man-to-man he’s needs to improve quite a bit. His off the ball defending is great. He plays ahead of most players but in the NBA his defense will be lacking. The conference slate and tournaments will show everything that needs to be seen. If he stays or if he goes it’s totally up to him and his family. I will enjoy every minute he is here just like I have with every player that has played.

kazakh-man-drinking-fresh-mares-milk-from-a-bucket-gabagly-national-HWJ8XW.jpg

Mmmm. Big ole bucket of wishful thinking.
Naw . . . he's and family will enjoy the college life as long as possible, moneys always there waiting. Guarantee he's looked forward to college life more than the NBA life. I see at least two years minimum

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I guess you forgot about coaches' credo of developing young men and not just ball players. If Cal was attempting to develop a young man and not just a ball player, he wouldn't have advised him to leave without giving more than one year of development effort.

Last edited:
Naw . . . he's and family will enjoy the college life as long as possible, moneys always there waiting. Guarantee he's looked forward to college life more than the NBA life. I see at least two years minimum
What is the "college life" for a UK player?
Seems like they are isolated from the student body to a large extent.
They travel a ton during the season and with NIL, that just further removed them from having much in common with the average student.
The entire team has NBA aspirations and the Craft Center is basically a shine to OAD.
I'd say the NBA is a constant topic of conversation inside the Coal Lodge.

Reactions: Zissou87
How many techs did Cuz receive his frosh year?
Did he ever cost UK a game?
Did he get in trouble off the court?
What "teaching moment" did Cal fail to take advantage of?
There was no way in hell Cuz was going to take "hard coaching"
Cal actually did instill some discipline in his game because he wanted to bring the ball up the court and Jack three pointers.
Cuz himself admits this and was mad at Cal initially.
If a player who played well one season under Cal became a complete opposite player at the next level, one would say Cal failed to develop the player for the next level. Well, the same applies to behavioral issues too. Cousins left UK with less maturity than a kid in high school.

I guess you forget about the credo of developing young men and not just ball players that comes from the mouths of coaches. If Cal was attempting to develop a young man and not just a ball player, he wouldn't have advised him to leave without giving more than one year of development effort.
You're living in the past and frankly asking something of Cal that was pretty much impossible.
You see things in Cuz that you don't like and you're trying to say Cal could have removed that from Demarcus's personality.
Kids are not going to allow coaches to play mind games like Knight did in the 70's and 80's.
For the record Tubby took a lot more shit off the players than Cal ever had.

If a player who played well one season under Cal became a complete opposite player at the next level, one would say Cal failed to develop the player for the next level. Well, the same applies to behavioral issues too. Cousins left UK with less maturity than a kid in high school.
No his environment changed.
He was in an environment in the NBA where being mouthy to officials and coaches is accepted.
He learned it from the vets not from Cal.

I guess you forgot about coaches' credo of developing young men and not just ball players. If Cal was attempting to develop a young man and not just a ball player, he wouldn't have advised him to leave without giving more than one year of development effort.
It's like differential calculus to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT