ADVERTISEMENT

Givony on Sheppard

I thought if he's just a "first round pick" (24 or so) there's a decent chance he's back.

If he's a lottery pick then I don't think he'd be back, even though he would stand to be top 6-8 the year after if he did.

Filipowski turned down top 15 pick status to come back to Duke, and he has no emotional attachments to Duke.

Sheppard is probably the most emotionally attached player in the history of our program. If we win the title in April, I could see him saying, "mission accomplished" and leaving, but if we don't bring the trophy back to Lexington, he's coming back.
Wasnt he a end of the 1st round projection? I dont remember him near the lottery (top 14).

Sheppard will pull Oscar-level money next year through NIL.

2025:
NPOY.
SEC player of the year.
Top 10 pick.
Leads the nation in assists.

His skillset isn't going to suddenly depreciate (this dude isn't Doron Lamb who's stock is solely contingent on how well he shoots). His ceiling is a slightly lesser version of Stockton. His floor is Kirk Hinrich.

With no title in April, he's coming back, fellas.
NIL isn't bad, but it can't beat the lottery money.

I believe we get 2 years out of him, unless we win the title this year! Could see his family taking out an insurance policy out on him similar to what Mike Bibby’s family did prior to the 97/98 season
He won’t need it, if he gets guaranteed a lottery position he’s gone. He’s going to go do the workouts and get feedback at the very least.

Seent isn’t a word. 😊
Scent2.jpg

Whether UK wins number nine or not I think he’s back next year and maybe beyond. I think whether he comes back for year four depends on whether he can get his degree in three years.
I’m glad everyone here really thinks he values Kentucky that much but his dream is to plays here and then be a pro. He’s playing here now, and I highly doubt he’s going to put his dream of being a first round pick on hold for 2 more years.

Whether UK wins number nine or not I think he’s back next year and maybe beyond. I think whether he comes back for year four depends on whether he can get his degree in three years.
Not a chance.
Don't get caught up in the "legacy" thing or the "Kentucky boy".
His parents wanted to play pro ball just as much as John Wall or Rhyne Howard.
Just didn't work out for them.
Players and parents don't think like fans.

I totally disagree about Reed.

His Ma/Pa are having the time of their life watching Reed soar high.
They are NOT driven by $$. They are still raising their son.
And they know going pro at 19 is not conducive to good character.

I think Reed is cut out of that cloth. He's living his Childhood dream.
The NBA will still be there next year.

2 years. I believe that all the way.

Not a chance.
Don't get caught up in the "legacy" thing or the "Kentucky boy".
His parents wanted to play pro ball just as much as John Wall or Rhyne Howard.
Just didn't work out for them.
Players and parents don't think like fans.
I'm glad you know their thoughts. We can turn to you from now on whenever we want the inside information on what the Sheppard family is thinking, especially when Reed has a $2+ million NIL thrown in his face next year with a chance to come back and win a title at Kentucky.

Bet you were certain Filipowski was gone from Duke last year, eh?Go ahead and tell me it's a different situation, being that both guys are projected top 15.

Just curious, are you a former player or are you a parent of a player? If not, how do you know what their thought process
Again don't think for a minute that Jeff didn't want to be in the Green room on draft night in '98.
Going to the NBA is in no way shape ,form, or fashion a sign of bad character or being driven by money.
When you are that talented, you want to play on the highest level possible.

I'm glad you know their thoughts. We can turn to you from now on whenever we want the inside information on what the Sheppard family is thinking, especially when Reed has a $2+ million NIL thrown in his face next year with a chance to come back and win a title at Kentucky.

Bet you were certain Filipowski was gone from Duke last year, eh?Go ahead and tell me it's a different situation, being that both guys are projected top 15.
How much was Herro's rookie contract worth?
How much is he making now?
You know NBA players have NIL also.

Look at Filopowski now though, he should be a warning. He should have taken the money. Now he’s being exposed and won’t go lottery anymore.

They're probably regretting that decision now.
He's not winning a title and won't improve his draft position.

I hope I’m wrong FWIW. I’d love for Reed to stay 4 years and break records, and lead us to 2 titles and be the best Kentucky born player of all time here. I just don’t see how he stays especially with Cal here. He will definitely tell him to go to the draft rated that high. You’re talking anywhere from 19 million to 55 million dollars over 4 years. That’s a ton of NIL, not to mention he can get endorsements with that contract money.

I hope I’m wrong FWIW. I’d love for Reed to stay 4 years and break records, and lead us to 2 titles and be the best Kentucky born player of all time here. I just don’t see how he stays especially with Cal here. He will definitely tell him to go to the draft rated that high. You’re talking anywhere from 19 million to 55 million dollars over 4 years. That’s a ton of NIL, not to mention he can get endorsements with that contract money.
It will definitely be a family decision at the end of year provided his stock rises or stays where it is.
If you're Jeff and Stacy who do take advice from?
Cal will definitely be involved.
To me you can't go to your neighbors or friends for advice.
You have to talk to other parents who have been in the exact same situation and you have to talk to people involved in the business side of basketball.
Of course UK fans are gonna say stay 4 years lol.

Last edited:
Jeff Sheppard’s occupation is a professional financial advisor.. If Reed is projected lottery, he’s gone IMO. .
How would Jeff ever live with himself if he allowed his son to come back and make two to three million a year in NIL money before leaving for an even higher draft spot? He probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that he allowed his son to enhance his draft value while making millions at Kentucky. The horror of it all!

The NIL money is a non issue. He will get that here or wherever he is. We use a former UK player in our advertising. We call it endorsement money now. That's also what we call the money we spend on current players. The NCAA calls it NIL though. Our accountant calls it advertising allotment.

But I would not be surprised to see Sheppard return. I also won't be surprised for him to go.

Edited to add; It's not a non issue. If there was still no NIL money then the decision to go is east. Having that money gives reason to consider staying.
You may know better than I do whether the endorsement opportunities would be better or worse for him at Kentucky vs. the league.

I would think some in state businesses would prefer to pay a current player, and even some national businesses might like to use a Kentucky Wildcat All American vs. someone riding the bench in Charlotte.

Starting point guard for the Celtics or Lakers might be a different story.

All of these posters are sure he's gone, and yet none of them want to bet me their posting rights?

Also, I'm not betting against anyone who has low post counts or just joined (ala Leadbelly accounts). You have to be a poster who matters, and some of you are just puppet trash accounts.

All of these posters are sure he's gone, and yet none of them want to bet me their posting rights?

Also, I'm not betting against anyone who has low post counts or just joined (ala Leadbelly accounts). You have to be a poster who matters, and some of you are just puppet trash accounts.
I’d bet you Saul, except can’t really bet against what I agree with
I think Reed wants to win a title before leaving..he’s doing to want to accomplish what his Dad did

Until then, all: enjoy the guy while we have him

How would Jeff ever live with himself if he allowed his son to come back and make two to three million a year in NIL money before leaving for an even higher draft spot? He probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that he allowed his son to enhance his draft value while making millions at Kentucky. The horror of it all!
How would Jeff live with himself if, God forbid, something were to happen to Reed causing him to never be able to play again? NIL doesn’t last forever. I think your emotions are clouding your reasoning.

How would Jeff live with himself if, God forbid, something were to happen to Reed causing him to never be able to play again? NIL doesn’t last forever. I think your emotions are clouding your reasoning.
While I don’t disagree, I’m guessing he doesn’t need the money that some do. Considering his blood line, as long as he doesn’t steal from a Apple Store I’m guessing he will always be taken care of in Ky

If that's the logic, Reed should shut it down immediately; if, as you're asserting, he's already a lottery pick. Also, what injury would permanently disable a player from every going pro? Can you list the players that that's happened to? Let's see the list of names of guys who have suffered from these career debilitating injuries when they were lottery picks. I bet you could stay up all night and struggle to come up with two names.

What if Reed got hurt in February or March of this year? Your logic needs to be consistent and you should therefore support Reed shutting it down right now.

Do you support Reed shutting it down right now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT