ADVERTISEMENT

Gator CB Duke Dawson update

With all the negative publicity with concussions and football am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? Look, of course I'm a Kentucky fan and biased and missing their best player would hurt them, but all that aside, how can someone with a concussion be able to play Saturday when they can't practice? Your brain doesn't heal in one day. I think when it comes to brain injuries such as concussions, there should be a better protocol for when/if a player is ready to play again. If he trots out there and plays, I'd be unhappy if I was his parent knowing he could have a serious injury if he hasn't fully recovered knowing good and well they'll want him to play if it benefits them. I'd say if by today if he still can't practice he should be held out for his safety. Going out there and winning isn't worth the rest of a kids career making him more susceptible to other concussions. Maybe I'm too protective of a players safety but it's just my thoughts.

I mean, I don't think our game plan is really gonna change that much whether he plays or not. I fully expect him to play but this game is much more about execution from our guys more than scheming for any one of their guys. They're young but they have some excellent guys in their secondary. It's gonna be a tall task throwing the ball against any of them.

It's just now Wednesday.... he has time to heal and I would assume he will be good to go by Saturday

It's just now Wednesday.... he has time to heal and I would assume he will be good to go by Saturday

Depending on how serious his concussion was, yes he could be fine, but I played football and had concussions. At one point I'd never had one. My senior year I got one and then in the next 6 weeks got 2 more. When you get one, it is just easier to get another one, period. My second concussion I didn't tell anyone cause it was at the end of the game. I had no idea how much game was left and tried to call a timeout when the game was over. So maybe I'm partial because of my experience, but with my history, I don't think a concussion truly heals in a week. It just doesn't. If he plays I hope he is absolutely 100% fine, but I'll be skeptical.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It's a concussion, not a sprained ankle. He has to pass an MD's and NCAA protocol which includes pre and post concussion assessments. If his testing isn't the same as his preconcussion assessment then he won't be cleared. It's hard to fake such an assessment.

I bet he's out for the game and if so, that's a huge win for the passing game. Concussions are tricky and rarely are people ready to go within a few days time. Unless they just ignore the doctor's advice.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Duke Dawson Jr.‏@7upya__

Everything is fine, I will be playing this upcoming Saturday against UK
1f64f-1f3fd.png

9:04 AM - 18 Sep 2017
37 replies 238 retweets 1,171 likes

From the NCAA:

Return to Activity
Sport-related concussion is a challenging injury for student-athletes and, unlike other injuries, the timeline for return to full activity (including return-to-play and return-to-learn) is often difficult to project. The psychological response to injury is also unpredictable. Sometimes, student-athletes who are kept out of their sport for a prolonged period of time experience emotional distress related to being unable to participate in sport. It is important that health care providers remain alert to the signs and symptoms of depression and other emotional responses to injury that can be particularly challenging following concussive injury. A student-athlete’s health care providers should verify the diagnosis instead of assuming that the student-athlete has prolonged concussion symptoms. These symptoms may represent post-concussion syndrome, sleep dysfunction, migraine or other headache disorders, or co-morbid mood disorders such as anxiety and depression. Passive management, such as prolonged physical and cognitive rest, may be counter-productive in these scenarios.

Clear as mud. Afterall, it is a bureaucracy.

Of course he's playing against us.

How long has he been out? If he's missed a couple weeks of practice I'd test him. That conditioning can dip quickly and game stamina is really tough to prepare for without actually playing.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
He will likely play. Unless we're down two scores or way behind the chains I don't think the staff plans on throwing the ball much anyway.

[QtUOTE="Caveman Catfan, post: 6139663, member: 15594"]Don't let Lynn Bowden block him!!!![/QUOTE]

Right, we don't want to lose Lynn for two halves again.

From the reports, I was under the impression that he was only allowed to participate in the non-contact drills...but I could be wrong.

He's playing

No.

As of the latest information out of Gainsville at this moment, he is still under "Concussion Protocol". Anything else is just a wild @ss guess. There is no finite number of days to sit out after a concussion. A series of doctors evaluate him and decide whether he plays or not. This is something even the corrupt UF boosters can't buy their way out of - doctors take this stuff very seriously.

Yeah, I don't think some people understand this is the doctors call now.

I think a lot of people understand a lot more than you might think. The kid practiced and still has a couple of days.

It's a guess, yeah, but my guess is he plays.

I think a lot of people understand a lot more than you might think. The kid practiced and still has a couple of days.

It's a guess, yeah, but my guess is he plays.

He dressed for practice, but did NOT practice in live action = NO hitting. He's walking around and OK, but that doesn't get him in the game. As noted herein over and over. It's up to the doctors to review his case and symptoms. From there they will make a decision. As of right now, he is NOT playing. That may change, but it is not a fact as of right now today.

He may end up playing. He may not end up playing. That's it for today until further notice.

He dressed for practice, but did NOT practice in live action = NO hitting. He's walking around and OK, but that doesn't get him in the game. As noted herein over and over. It's up to the doctors to review his case and symptoms. From there they will make a decision. As of right now, he is NOT playing. That may change, but it is not a fact as of right now today.

He may end up playing. He may not end up playing. That's it for today until further notice.

Thanks for stating the obvious, Kreskin, but we are already saying we are GUESSING he will play. Don't make it what it isn't in some pathetic offer to teach someone something they already know

Some Student athletes cheat the protocol by delaying their baseline responses. Therefore, the post concussion results are easier to replicate.

but I think it was just individual player drills so there was not contact. He's listed as doubtful and I would be surprised if he plays.

Yeah just individuals .... I just assume he will play until I see otherwise

Hell, I assume half of their felons will play if they can get away with it. Haha

Reactions: Deeeefense
lol. i feel like if he does not play his backup gets a big time play. that's uk football right?

seriously though, id expect him to play. he played last week for the person who ask...

Reactions: StevieJFTW07

I'm in complete agreement that it will come down to a doctors decision. What I'm saying is, the NCAA should have tighter rules than they apparently have now.

I believe that if a player still has symptoms of a concussion 24 or 48 hours before a game, he should be ruled out. If he has concussion type symptoms TODAY, he should not be able to play tomorrow, period. I don't care if it was benny snell, or Stephen Johnson, you can't convince me that today he couldn't play but tomorrow he can. What is it, a game time decision? Do you understand how crazy that sounds with a brain injury?!?! I'm not coming at you specifically and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm just saying for the safety of a player, who is being attended by doctors who may or may not be influenced by a coach, they should have to decide well ahead of a game if a player is ok to return. If he plays and gets knocked out, the coach and doctors staff will be fired as well as they should be and it'll be a story on espn.

I'm in complete agreement that it will come down to a doctors decision. What I'm saying is, the NCAA should have tighter rules than they apparently have now.

I believe that if a player still has symptoms of a concussion 24 or 48 hours before a game, he should be ruled out. If he has concussion type symptoms TODAY, he should not be able to play tomorrow, period. I don't care if it was benny snell, or Stephen Johnson, you can't convince me that today he couldn't play but tomorrow he can. What is it, a game time decision? Do you understand how crazy that sounds with a brain injury?!?! I'm not coming at you specifically and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm just saying for the safety of a player, who is being attended by doctors who may or may not be influenced by a coach, they should have to decide well ahead of a game if a player is ok to return. If he plays and gets knocked out, the coach and doctors staff will be fired as well as they should be and it'll be a story on espn.

I think if he has any symptoms he won't play. If he does and gets hurt, somebody is going to be in deep $#!U&. The doctor(s) giving the OK would be putting their professional license and liability on the line. Those corrupt UF boosters had better make it worth their risk....and they just might, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT