ADVERTISEMENT

Game Plan for Kansas?

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
What do you guys think? What will it take to beat Kansas tomorrow night?

Would love your thoughts, but my quick points below:

1. Double-team Dickinson. The double should come from one place every time- either from whoever is guarding Harris (their PG), or whoever is guarding Adams. Push a hard double team and make Dickinson become a decision-maker and get it out of his hands, or make him force things. But the help every time has to come from whoever is guarding Harris or Adams, and the rest be ready to "scramble" and rotate.

2. RUN! We need to push the pace on every. single. play. Makes, misses, or turnovers, it doesn't matter, RUN! Believe it or not, Kansas may have an even shorter bench than we do without the bigs, and we need to make Dickinson run up and down.

3. Play through the vets early: Draw up plays that go through Mitchell and Reeves early to let the freshman settle in...and then let go of the reigns and let them play!

4. CAL: DON'T MICROMANAGE! Let these guys go! Let Dilly be Dilly! Let Reed pressure, let Wagner play the passing lanes- looking for Cal to show for the first time, in a REAL game, that he is committed to this new style and won't micromanage the game or yank guys at their first mistake.

Just some of my initial thoughts: what do you guys think we need to do to win tomorrow?

Spread the floor, keep Mitchell out of foul trouble. Target HD in pick n roll and make him defend Mitchell out to the 3 line.

As you already mentioned, make KU run and let our guys play to their strengths.

Hope Reeves and Mitchell are hot from 3.

I would actually let HD get his for the most part and make everyone else beat us. I don't think HD can beat us by himself.

I think you let HD get his, don't double, or if you do it's a quick swat at the ball on the entry pass then back to your man. Don't let them get open looks for 3. Run at every opportunity. Not the game to try to find your stroke from 3 (DJ, Rob, Adou), let Reeves, Shep, Tre, take any 3s. I they get less than 6 threes, even if HD scores 40 we should be able to have a chance if we''ve got the right guys taking shots and pushing the pace.

Reeves gonna need to be hot though, if he shoots 25% from 3 or worse I don't think we've got much of a shot.

Everyone is way too focused on Dickinson. If you watch film of their first several games, you'll see that McCullar is their best player and the one we have to worry about.

This game is going to come down to the three point line. Kentucky simply has to make more threes than Kansas does. If we can make 10+ and hold them to 7 or less, then we are in business. We are going to lose the rebounding battle and likely the free throw battle, but if we make 4,5,6 more threes than them that can all be erased.

Run a lot of PnR/PnP action with Mitchell at the 5. Hopefully Mitchell is hitting his jumpers. That will pull HD away from the basket. That opens up the lane for the guards.

On defense, harass the guards and make it tough to get the ball inside to HD.

Not sure about doubling the post and giving up some wide open 3’s to start the game. I don’t want them getting hot outside. If HD is going off, then double team the post, but not right from the start.

Everyone is way too focused on Dickinson. If you watch film of their first several games, you'll see that McCullar is their best player and the one we have to worry about.

This game is going to come down to the three point line. Kentucky simply has to make more threes than Kansas does. If we can make 10+ and hold them to 7 or less, then we are in business. We are going to lose the rebounding battle and likely the free throw battle, but if we make 4,5,6 more threes than them that can all be erased.

I totally agree that McCullar is their best player, I have mentioned that before, I think he's really, really good.

BUT, I think the reason there is the focus on HD is because our bigs are out, and it's such a big hole for us at the moment.

I think a mix of Edwards, Thiero, hell even Reed Sheppard I'd like to see guard McCullar for a few possessions to get under his skin! Think we just have options for him, we don't have many options for HD.

I totally agree that McCullar is their best player, I have mentioned that before, I think he's really, really good.

BUT, I think the reason there is the focus on HD is because our bigs are out, and it's such a big hole for us at the moment.

I think a mix of Edwards, Thiero, hell even Reed Sheppard I'd like to see guard McCullar for a few possessions to get under his skin! Think we just have options for him, we don't have many options for HD.

Thats totally fair. I'm on the fence about Dickinson, part of me agrees with you and thinks we need to double early because we don't want him to abuse us. But I'd almost him rather try to get his with his back to the basket then double team him and give up potential threes and swing driving lanes to their guards and athletic finishers like Adams.

I'm less worried about the primary defense as I am the secondary/recovery defense, which is where I really think those Kansas guards and forwards can beat us.

1. Double-team Dickinson. The double should come from one place every time- either from whoever is guarding Harris (their PG), or whoever is guarding Adams. Push a hard double team and make Dickinson become a decision-maker and get it out of his hands, or make him force things. But the help every time has to come from whoever is guarding Harris or Adams, and the rest be ready to "scramble" and rotate.
I would say do the opposite. Let Dickinson eat if he wants to, just lock down everyone else. If I recall correctly that's what we did against OSU and Sullinger in 2011.

2. RUN! We need to push the pace on every. single. play. Makes, misses, or turnovers, it doesn't matter, RUN! Believe it or not, Kansas may have an even shorter bench than we do without the bigs, and we need to make Dickinson run up and down.

3. Play through the vets early: Draw up plays that go through Mitchell and Reeves early to let the freshman settle in...and then let go of the reigns and let them play!

4. CAL: DON'T MICROMANAGE! Let these guys go! Let Dilly be Dilly! Let Reed pressure, let Wagner play the passing lanes- looking for Cal to show for the first time, in a REAL game, that he is committed to this new style and won't micromanage the game or yank guys at their first mistake.

Just some of my initial thoughts: what do you guys think we need to do to win tomorrow?
#4 won't happen, unfortunately. These are the games where Cal's butthole puckers.

Reactions: Fox2monk and KFuqua
I think you let Dickenson get what he can. But we HAVE to make him work on the defensive end. Put him in PnR multiple times on each possession. Try to have him 1-1 with Edwards and let Edwards go at him and draw fouls.

Also need Mitchell to knock down 1-2 early 3s to open the paint for our guards.

Their PG and I think the other guy's name is Adams are not scorers. Make them beat us if at all possible.

We are faster and more athletic, and we need to keep the pace at a frenzy.

I think Kansas plays 3 guard line up with a forward and HD. Hopefully Adou or Edwards can guard the other forward. Maybe we can match up (except HD). Maybe HD will have issues guarding TM or maybe we run HD to death and he is wore out. Big thing is their bench is probably way deeper than ours right now since we are down 3 guys.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think Kansas plays 3 guard line up with a forward and HD. Hopefully Adou or Edwards can guard the other forward. Maybe we can match up (except HD). Maybe HD will have issues guarding TM or maybe we run HD to death and he is wore out. Big thing is their bench is probably way deeper than ours right now since we are down 3 guys.

The good(ish) news is that KJ Adams is only 6'7, Thiero is 6'8, so we are actually taller at the PF spot right now haha but Adams plays bigger than his size IMO.

McCuller and Edwards are the same size also.

Id like to see Cal take the leash off and just let them fly all over the court.

Maybe even a little undisciplined AAU style.

I think our guards would thrive and it'd be fun to see Dickinson sucking air 6 mins in :)

They only way we keep it close, let alone win, is to shoot lights out.
We won't slow them down a bit, their point will dictate against Wagner (wait until February), and we are limited by coaching.

Start Burks, Hart, Canada and Watkins. KU hasn't prepared for them and it would throw them way off their game plan.

McCullar is their best player---BUT----HD is Uk's biggest mismatch, i.e. problem. Lots of dudes UK can throw at McCullars---Cannot say that with HD.

McCullar is their best player---BUT----HD is Uk's biggest mismatch, i.e. problem. Lots of dudes UK can throw at McCullars---Cannot say that with HD.

I agree- it's just the matchup for us.

Will be a big early test for Edwards though to be matched with McCuller. Like I mentioned, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Dilly or Shep on him for small spurts to frustrate him, like we used to do with Tyler Ulis sometimes.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
What if we put Edwards on Harris for spurts (like Cal used to do with Liggins) and Wagner/Shep/Dilly on McCuller?

I like that for spurts, change the game up!

What if we put Edwards on Harris for spurts (like Cal used to do with Liggins) and Wagner/Shep/Dilly on McCuller?

I like that for spurts, change the game up!

Okay my mind is turning now, I'm all in on this idea.

Rotate Edwards on Harris to frustrate him and "cut the head off the snake" like we used to do with Liggins.

Wagner, Shep and Dilly can all rotate and take turns on McCuller, stay fresh throughout the game and wear him down!

Reeves sticks with whoever is in at the 2 at that point.

Reactions: Cats192
Mitchell on facing Dickinson:
“My ability to see the game, and being familiar with the guys I’m playing with now — knowing their spots, knowing where they could take advantage — and then taking advantage of a big 5 that was a little bit slower and making him make multiple decisions in one possession, one after another,” Mitchell explained. It sounds like he’s hoping to do more of the same against Dickinson.
“Just the usual approach,” Mitchell said of facing the KU star. “Scout him. See the opportunities that are out there. I’ll probably pull him away from the hoop a lot. Get him involved in a lot of pick and rolls and make him make decisions, and kind of go from there. I’m not somebody that is afraid of a name. The only man I fear is God. So I’m going to go out there and give you what I got against him. And it’s not going to be easy for him. I’m going to make him have to earn everything he gets.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article281738338.html#storylink=cpy

Mitchell on facing Dickinson:
“My ability to see the game, and being familiar with the guys I’m playing with now — knowing their spots, knowing where they could take advantage — and then taking advantage of a big 5 that was a little bit slower and making him make multiple decisions in one possession, one after another,” Mitchell explained. It sounds like he’s hoping to do more of the same against Dickinson.
“Just the usual approach,” Mitchell said of facing the KU star. “Scout him. See the opportunities that are out there. I’ll probably pull him away from the hoop a lot. Get him involved in a lot of pick and rolls and make him make decisions, and kind of go from there. I’m not somebody that is afraid of a name. The only man I fear is God. So I’m going to go out there and give you what I got against him. And it’s not going to be easy for him. I’m going to make him have to earn everything he gets.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article281738338.html#storylink=cpy
LOVE it.

A few thoughts

We're going to lose points in the paint, rebounding, and probably turnovers. It's going to be a tough road. We REALLY have to limit how badly we lose these areas--and not let them win other areas. We really need to win the 3 point battle. Which sounds backwards for a Calipari team.

HD is a load at 7'2, 260. He's going to eat. Mitchell is 6'8 230, and that's so much size to give up. I think to an extent, you have to live with HD having a big game. The answer is NOT to double team him and give up open 3's.

As others have said, we really need to work him on the defensive end. Put him in screen situations and make him work. Hopefully get him in foul trouble. If nothing else, take him away from the basket so our guards can work.

Harris is a good facilitator and excellent at taking care of the ball. I hope our guys can get up in him early in the back court and force some mistakes. But moreover, our guys can't force things and turn it over a bunch. It's ok if Kansas wins in turnovers so long as it isn't lopsided. Sticking with Harris--he's not a terrible scorer. But he's a better facilitator. I think we have to try to prevent his playmaking and put him in spots to try to score whether it be going under screens to force him into shooting or scoring over a defender at the basket.

I'd also add McCullar is a dude. I wish he had signed with UK. He's a long 6'7 that can guard just about everyone. He rebounds it well, he passes it well, he makes 3's at a good clip. I assume Edwards/Thiero (if he plays) will be on him a lot. Need them to do a good job of limiting his impact as much as possible.

On offense, we have to spread them out and make open shots. We have to make HD play defense away from the basket. Can HD guard Mitchell outside the 3 point line? Can HD move his feet quickly enough in pick and roll situations? Hopefully we can get him into early foul trouble and limit his impact.

Last edited:

Gotta play fast as possible, 5 man rebounding, hit 10 3’s, and get Dickenson on foul trouble.

This i
A few thoughts

We're going to lose points in the paint, rebounding, and probably turnovers. It's going to be a tough road. We REALLY have to limit how badly we lose these areas--and not let them win other areas. We really need to win the 3 point battle. Which sounds backwards for a Calipari team.

HD is a load at 7'2, 260. He's going to eat. Mitchell is 6'8 230, and that's so much size to give up. I think to an extent, you have to live with HD having a big game. The answer is NOT to double team him and give up open 3's.

As others have said, we really need to work him on the defensive end. Put him in screen situations and make him work. Hopefully get him in foul trouble. If nothing else, take him away from the basket so our guards can work.

Harris is a good facilitator and excellent at taking care of the ball. I hope our guys can get up in him early in the back court and force some mistakes. But moreover, our guys can't force things and turn it over a bunch. It's ok if Kansas wins in turnovers so long as it isn't lopsided. Sticking with Harris--he's not a terrible scorer. But he's a better facilitator. I think we have to try to prevent his playmaking and put him in spots to try to score whether it be shooting or scoring over a defender at the basket.

I'd also add McCullar is a dude. I wish he had signed with UK. He's a long 6'7 that can guard just about everyone. He rebounds it well, he passes it well, he makes 3's at a good clip. I assume Edwards/Thiero (if he plays) will be on him a lot. Need them to do a good job of limiting his impact as much as possible.

On offense, we have to spread them out and make open shots. We have to make HD play defense away from the basket. Can HD guard Mitchell outside the 3 point line? Can HD move his feet quickly enough in pick and roll situations? Hopefully we can get him into early foul trouble and limit his impact.
This is a very good breakdown. KU’s weaknesses will be stopping dribble penetration off P&R, and our secondary ball handler being a freshman (Elmarko Jackson) is talented but raw and would be who y’all need to pressure.

Lot of talk about Harris and Adams being weak spots which is far from true—they are the most consistent and steady guys we have.

We know what we will get from those 2 and McCullars. Dickinson matching with Mitchell, and our other young newcomers not getting abused by Wagner/Dillingham consistently will be what determines the game.

KU will play physical, but can play fast. We have been pushing tempo frequently and pass the ball well. We had like 34 assists on 39 FGs game 1.

We will be inconsistent in hitting perimeter shots and on the defensive end inside (good on perimeter).

If yall attack the basket and KU is cold outside (which we always seem to be in this game) it’ll be a toss up.

Should be fun.

Reactions: Cats192

I wouldnt try to double Dickinson out of man defense, it will lead to either fouls or easy looks for Kansas on kickouts and dump offs. We have to play matchup zone so he cant camp on the block, then we can trap out of that on him when he gets it on the block (most likely) or at the top of the lane.

By playing MATCHUP zone it means our guards can still extend and pressure the ball when its in their zone just as aggressively as they could in man. But we can be caught chasing and fouling this game or we will be out of it by the 15 minute mark of the second. And its hard to get any tempo going if its a game of foul shots.

I wouldnt try to double Dickinson out of man defense, it will lead to either fouls or easy looks for Kansas on kickouts and dump offs. We have to play matchup zone so he cant camp on the block, then we can trap out of that on him when he gets it on the block (most likely) or at the top of the lane.

By playing MATCHUP zone it means our guards can still extend and pressure the ball when its in their zone just as aggressively as they could in man. But we can be caught chasing and fouling this game or we will be out of it by the 15 minute mark of the second. And its hard to get any tempo going if its a game of foul shots.
I tend to agree.

HD is going to score in this game. A lot. I think we do the best we can without double teaming. Giving them chances at open 3's will send this game spiraling out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT