ADVERTISEMENT

Future scheduling

Schedule a bowl game.
USC in the Coliseum. Michigan, Ohio State, or Notre Dame.

For one year, one game, while we're good, stop worrying about getting grubby hands on every dollar possible, and treat the fans to an iconic stadium.

Don’t hold your breath. SEC is going to 9 games, so we’re likely losing the UL game, so very close to 0% we ever play ND during the regular season unless they join the SEC.
This. With 9 game SEC schedule coming possibly as soon as '26 UK going to need 3 easy OOC games. Notre Dame going to be one of those 3 and feel UL game be dropped also.

If we want to take the next step, we can’t drop the bird game. Schedule 2 pitiful teams and let’s roll. Does it really matter if we miss out on a meaningless bowl game anyway.

This. With 9 game SEC schedule coming possibly as soon as '26 UK going to need 3 easy OOC games. Notre Dame going to be one of those 3 and feel UL game be dropped also.
Gonna be pissed if we drop UL. The point of all these games is to enjoy watching them, not try to pad Stoops record with cupcakes.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
If we want to take the next step, we can’t drop the bird game. Schedule 2 pitiful teams and let’s roll. Does it really matter if we miss out on a meaningless bowl game anyway.
Maybe from a fan’s perspective, but a coach knows how important the bowl games are. Bowl teams get 20 hours per week until their game, so that’s an extra 60-100 hours depending upon when the game is. That is more valuable to the team than a coin flip game that may keep you out of a bowl given the increased difficulty of the SEC schedule. I want to see them keep the UL game, but it’s a risk I might not take if I was the AD.

Reactions: JDHoss and Nuke99m
Maybe from a fan’s perspective, but a coach knows how important the bowl games are. Bowl teams get 20 hours per week until their game, so that’s an extra 60-100 hours depending upon when the game is. That is more valuable to the team than a coin flip game that may keep you out of a bowl given the increased difficulty of the SEC schedule. I want to see them keep the UL game, but it’s a risk I might not take if I was the AD.
That’s true, but it seems like they practice year round now. I’m not sure if there are as many restrictions on practice time as there used to be. I mean, UK basketball has been practicing all summer and it’s not basketball season.

If it were up to me, when the SEC goes to 9 games I would add a rule that stated one of the three OOC games has to be against a P4 team. Maybe start a football version of the conference challenge where the SEC partners with one of the other P4 and does a yearly, rotating slate of games. Would be fun to get to play some fresh teams and go to some new stadiums.

That’s true, but it seems like they practice year round now. I’m not sure if there are as many restrictions on practice time as there used to be. I mean, UK basketball has been practicing all summer and it’s not basketball season.
You don’t have to speculate. It takes 20 seconds to look it up and then you will know they do not practice in the field year round. They have very limited on field with coaches time during the off season and only 8 hrs allowed and that includes S&C. Bowl games add 25%+ more practice time for the season and, more importantly, they focus on the younger guys who haven’t gotten as many snaps. This helps them solidify their role/playing time for the next season. Young talent that doesn’t have this opportunity is more likely to leave after the season is over, if they aren’t sure where they are in the pecking order. You cannot u estate the importance of making it to bowl eligibility every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nuke99m
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT