ADVERTISEMENT

Fox gets 2 fouls and we have a NBA player on bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was going to commit to somewhere and not play last year. He never intended to play. He did not want to play. He did not mean to play.

Wherever he commits--he might play the following season. It would make sense to coach up the kid, and have him here as opposed to let him go to Duke and they can coach him up and see if they get him for next year.

If he was an uncommited recruit that could commit to UK OR go to the NBA, no one would care. You'd simply hope he comes back. Shut up and do that.

Reactions: brianpoe
That's pretty much where I stand on it. I've argued before that shouldn't Cal's ultimate goal be to get his kid's drafted.

Getting the kids drafted is not Cal's ultimate goal. That's his selling point, his spin, his way of appeasing the kids and getting the best players to come to UK. By prioritizing the kids desire to play professionally and getting them drafted he gains a recruiting advantage. That "players first" spiel plays well with the kids and their parents- a means to the desired end.

Again, if you don't think Diallo could have helped, go back and watch the Michigan Elite Eight game in 2014. Marcus Lee came in and dunked three or four times on Michigan. Lee hadn't played since the cupcake part of the schedule. We didn't need Diallo to win the game, just keep us in it. Also see Spike Albrecht in the Michigan/Louisville game.

And I'm not blaming Coach Cal for the kid not playing IF the kid said he didn't want to. But come on, kid. Kind of reminds me of the Buccaneers kicker years ago saying he got nervous knowing John McKay was watching him. McKay said something to the effect that that was going to make it tough because he planned on attending all the games.

Reactions: redbudman
No, If Cal wants to coach this program, then he should look out for this programs best interests in return. If that is asking too much of him, then go somewhere else. UK isn't a D-league franchise and will never be a D-league franchise, so he needs to stop treating it as one. If he wants to just coach players with pro potential and help them reach their dreams, go coach a D- league team.

With all due respect your posts are not getting any smarter.

Cal's D-League franchise has brought more success to the program than anytime in the last 20 years.

You want to replace Cal you are not very bright.

Tell me how signing the #1 SG is not in the best interest of the program?

And tell us all who you would prefer over our current D league coach?

Last edited:
I have been a longtime UK fan and I always feel very torn this time of year. I would never ask a kid to stay when he clearly can make money, but I ask myself why I became a Kentucky basketball fan. Was it because we have 30 or more wins a year? Nope! Was it because we are getting to final fours almost every year? Nope! I started out as a 8 year old boy watching my favorite players for 3 or 4 years. I guess because I am old, I just feel like something is missing every year. Will I remember any of these players in 30 years like I remember the players from my childhood? I lived all the way through the 80's with no titles, but some of the most exciting basketball (especially early 80's). I wish we could at least have more Willy Cauley Steins or heck, even more players like Tyler Ulis that take two year. Players that are right on the cusp of being NBA material given some time. There has to be a mix that can make both sides of my brain happy. I hear the argument all of the time "We can go back to no final fours and no 30 win seasons" life without the one and done. Are we saying that Cal can't win without max talent? I would hope not.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Actually this was mentioned multiple times, pretty sure Cal said it in a pregame presser.

I've never heard it before myself. Not to say I couldn't have missed something but the only thing I've ever heard from both of them was that the plan was for him to be here next year. I know in the Diallo initial PC, he said they would look at where they were at the end of the year but that was always coupled with the phrase, the plan is to be here next year. Again, I could've missed something but that why I asked where it was coming from. I'll see if I can find something on it. If this is fact true, added with the point you made earlier, it would change my feelings a bit on the situation.

OP is so far behind the times that he still writes letters to friends and family and sends them through the mail. How much does a stamp cost now?

I think if Coach Cal wants to run this program like a D-league team, then he needs to go coach a D-league team. He can then have the best of both worlds, coach professionals and still help them reach their dreams. As long as he is an employee of UK, he needs to do what is best for UK. In other words don't hurt our program to help a basketball player "reach their dreams".
Since Cal's been here he's dominated our rivals. Won titles, goes to the final four every other year. He's had our first ever player of the year and produced 2 triple doubles in one season. All this while running a clean program. What part of that is not in our best interest?

Reactions: brianpoe and chroix
I think if Coach Cal wants to run this program like a D-league team, then he needs to go coach a D-league team. He can then have the best of both worlds, coach professionals and still help them reach their dreams. As long as he is an employee of UK, he needs to do what is best for UK. In other words don't hurt our program to help a basketball player "reach their dreams".
It may be difficult to get through to your brain but I will try. Cal helping these young men reach their dreams is best for the program because the top talent keeps coming. Only one other current coach, K, has had more success than Cal while he has been at UK. Calhoun is retired. And Cal hasn't had the early tournament flameouts like K has during the period. Btw, K, is recruiting the exact same way as Cal now. Cal has four final fours and a title. As in one of four titles in the past 60 years. And a final four in half the years he has been here- well ahead of the pace all of the UK coaches combined. How are these facts so difficult for you to grasp?

No, If Cal wants to coach this program, then he should look out for this programs best interests in return. If that is asking too much of him, then go somewhere else. UK isn't a D-league franchise and will never be a D-league franchise, so he needs to stop treating it as one. If he wants to just coach players with pro potential and help them reach their dreams, go coach a D- league team.
You're an idiot. I'm pretty sure the people actually involved in the program are pretty happy with how things have gone the past eight years.

Again, if you don't think Diallo could have helped, go back and watch the Michigan Elite Eight game in 2014. Marcus Lee came in and dunked three or four times on Michigan. Lee hadn't played since the cupcake part of the schedule. We didn't need Diallo to win the game, just keep us in it. Also see Spike Albrecht in the Michigan/Louisville game.
We were in it. We were only down five at the half. We had a five point lead with four minutes left in the game. Blame our starters for not being able to hit a shot down the stretch.

Last edited:
He was on a UK scholarship to play basketball. The decision should not have been his to make. If I decide I don't want to work for my employer, I should stop getting paid and that's exactly what will happen. It's pretty much the same damn thing.
So the players at the end of the bench on an NBA team aren't doing their job because they never play?

We were in it. We were only down five at the half. We had a five point lead with four minutes left in the game. Blame our starters for not being able to hit a shot down the stretch.

Wouldn't you have liked to see Carolina try to guard Diallo with Stedman Whatshisface or the injured Berry?

Wouldn't you have liked to see Carolina try to guard Diallo with Stedman Whatshisface or the injured Berry?

Kind of hard to bring in a guy at the EE for his first game and our current rotation had the longest winning streak at the time...

And you cannot compare him to Lee who arrived before school started, was with the team during football season, basketball preseason, played in the regular season, and practiced every single day with the team.

If you are going to play him do it sooner than the EE.

If you promised him you would only play him when he said he was ready then keep your word.

(I think) he's arguing that if Diallo is going pro this year, he should have played for UK this season. Essentially he feels like the goal is to get players drafted, not final-4's and titles.

And honestly, the goal is to get players drafted. I agree with it, but at the same time I can also agree with our fans feeling like the program feels (at times) left on the back burner. I don't think Diallo is gonna go pro, but if he does, it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth for sure. I don't think people should be getting so worked up over it yet.

man, if the goal is to get players drafted, there is a serious disconnect. colleges aren't the best place to do this. much better for the players to actually get paid and spend their time effectively with training outside of a "college" environment. diallo added zero value to UK during his time here, and it's questionable if UK added any value to him.

i'm all for being players-first, but colleges shouldn't be the way the NBA mitigates risk on their assets (unless the NBA is willing to discount the players' tuition costs)...

man, if the goal is to get players drafted, there is a serious disconnect. colleges aren't the best place to do this. much better for the players to actually get paid and spend their time effectively with training outside of a "college" environment. diallo added zero value .

Colleges aren't the best place to get training for employment?

Colleges aren't the best place to get training for employment?

colleges aren't insurance policies for employers. we shouldn't be using government dollars to discount professional money-making organizations like the NBA, NFL, etc. For what it's worth, I also think that schools shouldn't have to pay scholarships for sports that haven't monetized. take it for what it's worth. I was a ncaa athlete, and i think the ncaa is kinda complicit in all of this mess.

"i think the ncaa is kinda complicit in all of this mess"

Really....?

I think the NCAA is as corrupt as the Hoffa Teamsters and most mafia families.

Reactions: d2atTech
Kind of hard to bring in a guy at the EE for his first game and our current rotation had the longest winning streak at the time...

And you cannot compare him to Lee who arrived before school started, was with the team during football season, basketball preseason, played in the regular season, and practiced every single day with the team.

If you are going to play him do it sooner than the EE.

If you promised him you would only play him when he said he was ready then keep your word.

When Higgins puts most of your team on the bench, it's a lot easier. And he's a lot better than Lee was.

I'm not looking at this as a screwup on Cal's part. Cal has to take that chance that this kid will suit up for UK. I'm saying if you're a top level talent who wants to play in the NBA, I would think the chance to play in a game that got your team into the Final Four and introduce your brand to the world would be too much to pass up.

When Higgins puts most of your team on the bench, it's a lot easier. And he's a lot better than Lee was.

I'm not looking at this as a screwup on Cal's part. Cal has to take that chance that this kid will suit up for UK. I'm saying if you're a top level talent who wants to play in the NBA, I would think the chance to play in a game that got your team into the Final Four and introduce your brand to the world would be too much to pass up.

If you are going to invoke Higgins then you will win every time.

Reactions: EvilMD
OP is so far behind the times that he still writes letters to friends and family and sends them through the mail. How much does a stamp cost now?

not as much as a phone call to a referee who makes calls that you don't like...

not as much as a phone call to a referee who makes calls that you don't like...

It's called communication and everybody always says that's what wrong with the world today.

Not enough communication.

Reactions: 3rex
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT