ADVERTISEMENT

Fox gets 2 fouls and we have a NBA player on bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbudman

Junior
Apr 10, 2007
Just saying what is the goal! I think it is different from what the fan's want and what the Athletic Department wants! Just saying that was an elite 8 game and if the goal is the final four! Well! And from what was reported he (Diallo) had picked up the system!

Reactions: Titles1
No+idea+what's+going+on.gif

Just saying what is the goal! I think it is different from what the fan's want and what the Athletic Department wants! Just saying that was an elite 8 game and if the goal is the final four! Well! And from what was reported he (Diallo) had picked up the system!
Some of you people need to step away from the ledge. Jeesh.

(I think) he's arguing that if Diallo is going pro this year, he should have played for UK this season. Essentially he feels like the goal is to get players drafted, not final-4's and titles.

And honestly, the goal is to get players drafted. I agree with it, but at the same time I can also agree with our fans feeling like the program feels (at times) left on the back burner. I don't think Diallo is gonna go pro, but if he does, it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth for sure. I don't think people should be getting so worked up over it yet.

Do you remember how our guys look every October/November against Cleveland State? That's with a few months of practicing together in the summer.

You think a guy at that same stage of development should have gone in for the first time against the best team in the country in the Elite 8 with a terrible whistle frustrating even our experienced guys?

I mean, that's fine, but then your opinion doesn't get to count for anything ever again.

Do you remember how our guys look every October/November against Cleveland State? That's with a few months of practicing together in the summer.

You think a guy at that same stage of development should have gone in for the first time against the best team in the country in the Elite 8 with a terrible whistle frustrating even our experienced guys?

I mean, that's fine, but then your opinion doesn't get to count for anything ever again.

Dude get out of here with your common sense, logic and excellent insight.

You can't force someone to play if they don't want to play.

Also, probably not the best game to play someone that has no game experience.

Reactions: brianpoe
I get you can't force a kid to play, and if he feels he isn't ready, it is what it is. But I think people remember Fox/Monk praising him in practice saying how good he looked, which caused many on this board to want him to play/contribute during the season at some point (me included). Either way, the season is over and he didn't play, so no need to harp on it now.

Yep. Lets take a player with no playing time and throw him into a regional final against UNC. Brilliant coaching move.
Thats why he should have been playing during the yr. Very odd a player would say they aren't ready, unless they're concerned about injury or draft stock.

(I think) he's arguing that if Diallo is going pro this year, he should have played for UK this season. Essentially he feels like the goal is to get players drafted, not final-4's and titles.

And honestly, the goal is to get players drafted. I agree with it, but at the same time I can also agree with our fans feeling like the program feels (at times) left on the back burner. I don't think Diallo is gonna go pro, but if he does, it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth for sure. I don't think people should be getting so worked up over it yet.

That's pretty much where I stand on it. I've argued before that shouldn't Cal's ultimate goal be to get his kid's drafted. Just like a college professor's goal is to get his kids jobs and be successful, not win awards for the school. I know Cal wants to win titles too but at the end of the day Diallo said he didn't want to play and to think you could just throw this kid into the fire and think he would be successful is silly.

I said in the other Diallo thread, I'm not going to be dense to the fact fans are upset if he ends us not coming back. I think you have a right to be a little ticked that he manipulated the rules to only do 1/2 a semester and not risk injury to go get drafted. But it's his decision. Cal will replace him likely. So I shrug my shoulders and say if we get him back great, if not move on.

Reactions: Mike-D
He would have helped tremendously. North Carolina wouldn't have had any gameplan on him. His athleticism would have put him in position to do great things, ala Marcus Lee vs. Michigan.

I think if Coach Cal wants to run this program like a D-league team, then he needs to go coach a D-league team. He can then have the best of both worlds, coach professionals and still help them reach their dreams. As long as he is an employee of UK, he needs to do what is best for UK. In other words don't hurt our program to help a basketball player "reach their dreams".

so OP, you are saying that you would have rather had Diallo in instead of Hawkins
Is Hawkins going to NBA! Our priorities have shifted! We are a feeding system for the draft! And not all of them are success stories! My hope is in my lifetime that we catch UCLA! I am 55! But it does not seem to be likely! I like National Championships! That is just me I guess! Why is he on the team if he will not play?

Reactions: Titles1
Where are you getting this from? Cal never asked Diallo to play. Some people are making it sound as though Cal asked him to play and he said no. That's not what happened at all.
Since it was said he picked up the system and played well in practice, why didn't he ask him to play?

I thought the time to play him was during the Fox ankle turning when he was 80% at best, missed a game and a couple of players were sick. He had been at UK for several weeks by then and could have stepped in at got some playing time against the SEC in regular season play, Maybe Cal asked him and he refused. If he could have played some in that stretch he may have been an asset during the tournament.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Let it go OP, let it go. I know it's frustrating and it crossed my mind too but it's already in the past. The days of kids playing for the name in front of the jersey are long gone and you have to be ok with that.

Reactions: redbudman
Why on earth wouldnt Cal of asked Diallo to play? Of course Cal wanted him to play... I've heard Cal mention that the decision was Diallo's .... twice actually.

Some of our posters are giving vaginas a bad name......... Yeah Cal is going to sabotage the entire team because F**k you.. thats why. right?? right? lol sheesh

At least we are not talking about Higgins. Coach Cal is paid to take the heat.

Is Hawkins going to NBA! Our priorities have shifted! We are a feeding system for the draft! And not all of them are success stories! My hope is in my lifetime that we catch UCLA! I am 55! But it does not seem to be likely! I like National Championships! That is just me I guess! Why is he on the team if he will not play?

UK doesn't win national titles much. U will be dead and UK still won't have 12 titles. They win one about every 15 years know average since 1958

Where are you getting this from? Cal never asked Diallo to play. Some people are making it sound as though Cal asked him to play and he said no. That's not what happened at all.

Actually this was mentioned multiple times, pretty sure Cal said it in a pregame presser.

I think if Coach Cal wants to run this program like a D-league team, then he needs to go coach a D-league team. He can then have the best of both worlds, coach professionals and still help them reach their dreams. As long as he is an employee of UK, he needs to do what is best for UK. In other words don't hurt our program to help a basketball player "reach their dreams".

Dumbest post in a dumb thread. Congrats.

Only idiots have such short memories.

I would love to see the movie of some of your lives where you're clearly this awesome, big-shot protagonist that the entire rest of the planet plays a supporting role in and you actually have interactions like this:

Cal: Hami, we've got some guys battling the flu bug, how do you feel about giving it a go against Tennessee on Saturday?

Diallo: I don't think I'm ready coach. My legs are getting there, but the game is moving a little fast. I'd probably hurt more than help.

Cal: Well then there's the door, sunshine! If you aren't gonna play, I'm not gonna coach ya. *puts on sunglasses* *takes off sunglasses* *puts on sunglasses* They shoulda called you HamiDONT Diallo *takes off sunglasses*

*Diallo leaves. Cal patiently looks at his watch. Diallo kicks door back open, rips his jersey open to show another jersey beneath it*

Diallo: Put me in coach, I'm taking us to the promised land.

Cal: Mother of God.

/scene

It wouldn't have made sense at that point, but it might have made sense if he'd played earlier in the season. The upside to not playing at all is that you can't lower your draft stock by a sub-par performance.

Dumbest post in a dumb thread. Congrats.

Only idiots have such short memories.
No, If Cal wants to coach this program, then he should look out for this programs best interests in return. If that is asking too much of him, then go somewhere else. UK isn't a D-league franchise and will never be a D-league franchise, so he needs to stop treating it as one. If he wants to just coach players with pro potential and help them reach their dreams, go coach a D- league team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT