ADVERTISEMENT

Fox and Monk

Some folks are missing the point about HD. I do believe coach encourages all players that have a chance to be a first round pick to test NBA waters. The point is if he goes, great for him and his family, however HD is a big time player, comon sense would dictate he should have played this year and get us a much better chance at 9. If he goes, this whole ordeal him being here would be a tragic waste, and be a huge head scratcher. Im hoping he stays so what he was doing here in the first place makes sense. If he goes, nothing we can do about a silly situation.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Like anything else in life. You look after your family first. Those players aren't any different.
that's all fine but at least play while your here or don't take the spot on the roster that my feelings on it one and done is fine it's just part or rules and cal using it to his advantage his 8 years here that's all i will say on this subject

I'll weigh in on this one Brian if you don't mind because you and I have tossed this subject around in the past.

Being a true fan of any sports team for 45 years is commendable. Being a fan of a 'gold standard' team like UK, Yankees, Red Sox. Packers, Bears etc for that long is strong no matter how you slice it.

A 25 year old CAN be a program first fan for sure but it isn't nearly as credible as a fan that's supported the same team for darn near a half century.

Lastly, people can certainly be program fans and understand why kids leave early (times change) and they don't have to be angry at Cal. But in the big picture Cal's job is to try to win the ultimate prize no different than any coach in any sport, not to rack up personal firsts (first round draft picks / players first over team and school that pays him to win team championships). Those are Cal's words and I believe Cal himself preaches (or used to preach) unselfishness i.e.Terrance Jones ?

You post well and seem to be a solid UK fan but I've posted similar comments to those of Madcat62 and you don't seem to like it when fans feel this way.

Actually Cal said on his 30 for 30"My job is not to win championships, its just not".
People are not mad about players that are lottery to first round picks leaving, people are angry when EVERYONE wants to leave even when they are not projected to be picked, and in dallio case people are upset because if youre gonna leave, you could of helped us this year. A total waste, he could have been key to 9.

Lastly certain posters like brian and irish need to get over thereselves if someone feels different than them, you may think they are solid posters and you may be right but they become bullies if God forbid someone wants differnt for this program then them.

Some folks are missing the point about HD. I do believe coach encourages all players that have a chance to be a first round pick to test NBA waters. The point is if he goes, great for him and his family, however HD is a big time player, comon sense would dictate he should have played this year and get us a much better chance at 9. If he goes, this whole ordeal him being here would be a tragic waste, and be a huge head scratcher. Im hoping he stays so what he was doing here in the first place makes sense. If he goes, nothing we can do about a silly situation.

that's all fine but at least play while your here or don't take the spot on the roster that my feelings on it one and done is fine it's just part or rules and cal using it to his advantage his 8 years here that's all i will say on this subject

I agree Cal's job is to win games. Cal wins a lot of games.

His strategy of player's first has thus far been a good one for winning games... not sure why it is so hard for people to figure out how it works?

Again, and I may trademark this:

We are blessed with the OAD and cursed with the subculture of kids leaving who are not elite with no guarantee first round contract.

Champ, the facts are not in your favor. You do not like the OAD yet it has brought more wins and more success in a short period than any other time in the last 20 years. Your preferred method was not working this one is.

Jbapp, I'm not trying to bully you.

You seem to have wanted Cal to bully the kid into playing when he told him he wouldnt unless Diallo said he was ready...

I was glad he didnt play because I was worried he would definitley leave if he did. Turns out he may have been hiding any faults he may have had.

No one is happy if HD leaves. Some of us simply understand that the risk Cal took was not a bad one - assuming HD only leaves with a 1st round guarantee. Even though he may not of cost us another player it most likely wasnt what Cal and he discussed if departs without the guarantee.

The OAD phenomenon is direct result in our culture heavily invested that money equals success. He is playing to every parent that believes in their child and that they are special. There are costs, as time will show. We will see them as time moves on. When kids come to UK, a stigma that exists if you don't leave after the first year, you have failed. That you didn't work hard enough to make it in the draft. Something is wrong with your game.
Look at all the what's wrong with SKJ, 'he is a bust' comments.
Cal uses this to his advantage. Now many a fan is worried because we are without a top ten recruit, a OAD this upcoming season.
I can't fault these kids, they are kids still, for wanting to find the quickest avenue to success. Given the same opportunity, 99% of our posters would go for the money.
Our society created this, I want it and I want it now mentality. We see it throughout society.
My fear for Hami is that he is getting caught up with all the pro scouts, coming up, possible handlers filling his ear with all the wrong ideas. If he didn't play, to hide a fault in his game, so there isn't enough tape to properly evaluate him. I don't want that type of player in our program. We want winners, we want players, we want the kids that want to take that last shot.
I don't know how the Game is changing, but I know it is. It will take yrs maybe a decade to see if the NBA is watered down, no longer the epitome of the sport.
I don't fault kids making these I'll advised decisions, I do blame the adults in the room who are thinking, "how does this person profit me right now".
All I know is I will continue to root for BBN, I will live and breath UK basketball from October to April...Can't keep on guessing or hoping to have this player back.

As a fan, you're not tied to the public image type BS that someone like Cal or UK is. You don't have to pander. It's okay to say you don't give a crap about the NBA, someone else becoming a millionaire and that you only care about the Kentucky program.

Players can care about their own interests and so can fans. You don't have to act like you're their parent or coach.

Last edited:
really not about the games not the team just the individuals

And there is a great correlation between making the individuals their best and making the team it's best.

Would it make sense that if our team is it's best then the individuals are at their best also? And vice versa?

But it seems like it would be the smarter decision to wait a year.I see no way he's a guaranteed first rounder in a tough draft.Make more money next season with a weaker draft.

First off, none of us know what will happen when he works out for NBA teams. But if the work outs go well and he is guaranteed a first round spot (multi-year, multi-million dollar contract), why wouldn't he take it?

He could come back and improve his draft stock. Or he could come back and have his stock fall. Even worse he could get hurt. People need to remember that coming back doesn't always/often doesn't mean your draft stock goes up. Also, the kid would likely improve more practicing full-time with an NBA team while making a million dollars as opposed to the limited practice schedule he gets in college.

This is ultimately about the players. We all love UK, but Cal has gotten where he is by making college bball about the guys who are trying to make a career out of this, not the program itself. His system has proven itself to work out for both the players and the university, no matter what some idiots on here may think. Yes, I wish we had won a few more titles and yes I hope Diallo comes back. But no matter what happens with the Diallo decision, I still believe what Cal is doing at UK will give us the best opportunity to be in the mix for titles.

he should have played this year if he leaves now he got coached and a free ride and gave not one thing back to the program

So, even if offered a 1st round guaranteed contract, he should come back, leave momma in the projects working 3 jobs so he can spend a year working off those 3 months of practice?
no he should have played while here

Fox was whining and crying and acting like he was damn near ready to have a mental breakdown after the UNC loss. Now he's ticked off at and calling out UK fans that are being vocal about being pissed off with the whole Diallo thing that has nothing to do with him ? Seems like a spoiled little drama Queen and that the money has already gotten inside of his head. And Monk joining in as well..no surprise there. I very much appreciate what both of them did at UK, but both of them need to stay out of this one.

Fox was whining and crying and acting like he was damn near ready to have a mental breakdown after the UNC loss. Now he's ticked off at and calling out UK fans that are being vocal about being pissed off with the whole Diallo thing that has nothing to do with him ? Seems like a spoiled little drama Queen and that the money has already gotten inside of his head. And Monk joining in as well..no surprise there. I very much appreciate what both of them did at UK, but both of them need to stay out of this one.

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and say this won't be a popular take by people that have a bit of common sense.

Reactions: 78Gooses and JC43
The young man didn't play for another team. He wore our colors. I'm okay with what's best for him. He could have played against us. Just sayin'.

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and say this won't be a popular take by people that have a bit of common sense.

I haven't seen anyone saying anything negative to Monk or Fox about going pro, so why else even get involved in this if you're Monk and/or Fox ? Because he's a teammate ? Assuming Fox is talking about the Diallo thing (Which it is probably 99% that he is.)..it's just, I wouldn't even bother with it, especially over freaking social media..just making all UK fans out to be damn bullies or some shit.

I haven't seen anyone saying anything negative to Monk or Fox about going pro, so why else even get involved in this if you're Monk and/or Fox ? Because he's a teammate ? Assuming Fox is talking about the Diallo thing (Which it is probably 99% that he is.)..it's just, I wouldn't even bother with it, especially over freaking social media..just making all UK fans out to be damn bullies or some shit.

First off, have you read the posts on this forum, including yours? It's full of adults taking shots at a player and our program for something that hasn't even happened yet (Diallo remaining in the draft). Fox and Monk are likely friends with Diallo and sticking up for him. And if those very small remarks but those two are enough to get your or other posters "panties in a wad", then you probably need to be reassessing your life and priorities as opposed to complaining about two guys who are about to be multi-millionaires or questioning Cal's success with similar types of players.

First off, have you read the posts on this forum, including yours? It's full of adults taking shots at a player and our program for something that hasn't even happened yet (Diallo remaining in the draft). Fox and Monk are likely friends with Diallo and sticking up for him. And if those very small remarks but those two are enough to get your or other posters "panties in a wad", then you probably need to be reassessing your life and priorities as opposed to complaining about two guys who are about to be multi-millionaires or questioning Cal's success with similar types of players.

As Trump would say "Wrong."..I'm taking up for UK fans just as much as they are taking up for their teammate. I haven't took shots at Diallo..not really..but I did take shots at Fox and Monk. If that bothers you..maybe take some of your own advice.

As Trump would say "Wrong."..I'm taking up for UK fans just as much as they are taking up for their teammate. I haven't took shots at Diallo..not really..but I did take shots at Fox and Monk. If that bothers you..maybe take some of your own advice.
It's fine to take up for UK fans (I have to all the time here in Louisville) but I find nothing wrong with Fox questioning fans who think they know what's best for individual players, which is all he did (unless I missed something he said).

If he was referring to Diallo, some UK fans are already questioning the kid for taking the next step in the process of getting to the NBA (going to the pre-draft workouts and getting feedback). That's all Diallo has done and many on here are going insane because of this action.

If he was referring to fans questioning his/Monk's decision, then the fans are also insane because those two are very close to setting themselves and their families up with financial security for life, assuming continued hard work and a little common sense when it comes to money.

You or anyone else sticking up for BBN doesn't bother me. I love BBN. But I will not agree with people acting like Fox did something horrible (or you calling him a spoiled drama queen) for calling out the vocal minority for being the idiots they are.

It's fine to take up for UK fans (I have to all the time here in Louisville) but I find nothing wrong with Fox questioning fans who think they know what's best for individual players, which is all he did (unless I missed something he said).

If he was referring to Diallo, some UK fans are already questioning the kid for taking the next step in the process of getting to the NBA (going to the pre-draft workouts and getting feedback). That's all Diallo has done and many on here are going insane because of this action.

If he was referring to fans questioning his/Monk's decision, then the fans are also insane because those two are very close to setting themselves and their families up with financial security for life, assuming continued hard work and a little common sense when it comes to money.

You or anyone else sticking up for BBN doesn't bother me. I love BBN. But I will not agree with people acting like Fox did something horrible (or you calling him a spoiled drama queen) for calling out the vocal minority for being the idiots they are.

I'm with you on almost everything..I just think Fox (After his crying and going on, after the loss to UNC, and saying "Does this look like a locker room of guys that don't care ?!" should just keep this away from social media. The two that took the most heat from BBN this year just so happen to be the only two to "defend" Diallo. Just don't put on a crying show when you and Monk have some beef with at least a small part of BBN..as was shown with those tweets.

ADVERTISEMENT