ADVERTISEMENT

Fox and Monk

i have been a fan of the UK program for almost 45 years my concern is whats best for the program

Why the context of how many years a poster has been a fan...?

As if a 25 year old cannot be a program first fan?

Also, why are people not considered program fans because they understand why kids leave and are not angry that Cal doesnt lie to them and physically hold them by their ankles to stay?

Spot on. They don't owe us anything. The system is what it is. These kids have made many, many people rich and made a lot of money for free.

As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant whether she is or is the president of Microsoft. If my son had a million dollar opportunity, I would tell him to leave college in a second.
But it seems like it would be the smarter decision to wait a year.I see no way he's a guaranteed first rounder in a tough draft.Make more money next season with a weaker draft.

Anyone lashing out at these kids directly via Twitter or any other social media platform is an idiot. There's no excuse for that. At the same time, fans have every right right to be upset/disappointed when a kid decides to leave the team/program they support. Let's not conflate these two distinctly different reactions.

But it seems like it would be the smarter decision to wait a year.I see no way he's a guaranteed first rounder in a tough draft.Make more money next season with a weaker draft.
Could be. But it's his life and his decision. If he makes the wrong one, he has to live with the consequences.

Why the context of how many years a poster has been a fan...?

As if a 25 year old cannot be a program first fan?

Also, why are people not considered program fans because they understand why kids leave and are not angry that Cal doesnt lie to them and physically hold them by their ankles to stay?

I'll weigh in on this one Brian if you don't mind because you and I have tossed this subject around in the past.

Being a true fan of any sports team for 45 years is commendable. Being a fan of a 'gold standard' team like UK, Yankees, Red Sox. Packers, Bears etc for that long is strong no matter how you slice it.

A 25 year old CAN be a program first fan for sure but it isn't nearly as credible as a fan that's supported the same team for darn near a half century.

Lastly, people can certainly be program fans and understand why kids leave early (times change) and they don't have to be angry at Cal. But in the big picture Cal's job is to try to win the ultimate prize no different than any coach in any sport, not to rack up personal firsts (first round draft picks / players first over team and school that pays him to win team championships). Those are Cal's words and I believe Cal himself preaches (or used to preach) unselfishness i.e.Terrance Jones ?

You post well and seem to be a solid UK fan but I've posted similar comments to those of Madcat62 and you don't seem to like it when fans feel this way.

Maybe Monk should be tweeting all the laughing faces over his NCAA Tourney performances because thats whats really funny.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I'll weigh in on this one Brian if you don't mind because you and I have tossed this subject around in the past.

Being a true fan of any sports team for 45 years is commendable. Being a fan of a 'gold standard' team like UK, Yankees, Red Sox. Packers, Bears etc for that long is strong no matter how you slice it.

A 25 year old CAN be a program first fan for sure but it isn't nearly as credible as a fan that's supported the same team for darn near a half century.

Lastly, people can certainly be program fans and understand why kids leave early (times change) and they don't have to be angry at Cal. But in the big picture Cal's job is to try to win the ultimate prize no different than any coach in any sport, not to rack up personal firsts (first round draft picks / players first over team and school that pays him to win team championships). Those are Cal's words and I believe Cal himself preaches (or used to preach) unselfishness i.e.Terrance Jones ?

You post well and seem to be a solid UK fan but I've posted similar comments to those of Madcat62 and you don't seem to like it when fans feel this way.
Actually Cal said on his 30 for 30"My job is not to win championships, its just not".
People are not mad about players that are lottery to first round picks leaving, people are angry when EVERYONE wants to leave even when they are not projected to be picked, and in dallio case people are upset because if youre gonna leave, you could of helped us this year. A total waste, he could have been key to 9.

Lastly certain posters like brian and irish need to get over thereselves if someone feels different than them, you may think they are solid posters and you may be right but they become bullies if God forbid someone wants differnt for this program then them.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone that is or should be upset that Fox, Monk, or Bam are going pro. They gave their all. Conducted themselves with class, and were great ambassadors for UK. They have my respect and I wish them nothing but the best. I will miss them because they had such fun loving personalities. Sure, as a UK fan, I would love for them to come back, but I do not in any way begrudge them leaving. No way anyone should IMO.

Actually Cal said on his 30 for 30"My job is not to win championships, its just not".
People are not mad about players that are lottery to first round picks leaving, people are angry when EVERYONE wants to leave even when they are not projected to be picked, and in dallio case people are upset because if youre gonna leave, you could of helped us this year. A total waste, he could have been key to 9.

Lastly certain posters like brian and irish need to get over thereselves if someone feels different than them, you may think they are solid posters and you may be right but they become bullies if God forbid someone wants differnt for this program then them.
Yep clearly I'm the forum bully. [laughing]

ADVERTISEMENT